Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Why is that gross? Do you think limited would be fun if every rarity was the same in power level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I think we owe the goon who wanted to build Merfolk in Modern an apology:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4429421#online

Just when I think I understand the format, poo poo like this happens

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
What on earth

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
If I cast alchemists gambit for 1RR and get another turn effect during the same turn, when do I lose the game? I assume it is my choice which turn to take first? But I am not sure.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

VictualSquid posted:

If I cast alchemists gambit for 1RR and get another turn effect during the same turn, when do I lose the game? I assume it is my choice which turn to take first? But I am not sure.

In Magic, the most recently generated extra turn will be taken first. So if you cast Alchemist's gambit, then another Timewalk, then cast more Timewalks during your
Timewalk turn, you won't reach the Alchemist's Gambit turn which makes you lose the game, until all the extra turns that were cast after it have finished.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Yoked posted:

This list owns lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yoked posted:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Another thing, can I counter Alchemist's gambit game loss? Using Discontinuity or Tale's End as example.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

VictualSquid posted:

Another thing, can I counter Alchemist's gambit game loss? Using Discontinuity or Tale's End as example.

yeah, that works fine

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

You’re thinking of Shakirabilities

Lmao

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

mcmagic posted:

Ehh nothing is all that expensive.I don’t think it’s worse than previous formats. You always need rares.

This is meaningless to Arena players. Every rare costs one Rare wildcard, the cost of the card is immaterial.

I haven't been able to make a competitive Standard deck all year, playing Arena exclusively.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Perry Mason Jar posted:

This is meaningless to Arena players. Every rare costs one Rare wildcard, the cost of the card is immaterial.

I haven't been able to make a competitive Standard deck all year, playing Arena exclusively.

what exactly are you doing with all the rewards you get for playing arena that are keeping you from making a deck

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

You’re thinking of Shakirabilities

I love you

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

VictualSquid posted:

Yes, all of these 'you lose the game at' effects are delayed triggers that you can counter at the losing time specified.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I play standard on arena exclusively and i have pretty much every deck in standard. I've spent around 20 bucks on gems in the last year.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

flatluigi posted:

what exactly are you doing with all the rewards you get for playing arena that are keeping you from making a deck

This came up last season when I made the same complaint when I got back into it for MID, so took a look when VOW released i had 6 rare wildcards it was enough to improve the deck I was playing certainly but not enough to make a new one.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

HootTheOwl posted:

This came up last season when I made the same complaint when I got back into it for MID, so took a look when VOW released i had 6 rare wildcards it was enough to improve the deck I was playing certainly but not enough to make a new one.

1. Do all the quests to get coins
2. Don't buy packs, save your coins to draft. Then draft with the gems you win too.
3. Craft all the uncommons and commons from a new set right when it comes out to help fill your treasure box faster.

If you do all this and just have a decent draft win rate you will just naturally end up with a ton of WC's. If you have a good draft win rate or get mythic in draft or constructed you'll easily have enough WCs to have every standard deck you need.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 15, 2021

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Svyelun of Sea and Sky is a motherfucker of a card, is what. Other tribes wished they had something so obviously pushed.

Tide Shaper as a means of mana denial and Subtlety pulling double duty as free counterspell and evasive beater also helped significantly.

Glasspool Mimic is 3 cmc, 1 less than most clones, and has the upside of being a land if necessary. Most clones just sit uselessly if the board's not good.

The sideboard let's the deck go more towards control and has grave hate pieces, which have no backfire here. Shout out to Theiving Skydiver, who for 3 cmc can take a colossus hanmer from the puresteel paladin lists and hammer them with it right back, or snag amulet of vigor for laughs, and is a flying 2 drop besides.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

flatluigi posted:

Sitting on them until I can make a viable deck from them but the time never comes.

It's also really daunting to go all in on a deck because okay so I blow every wildcard I have and then well I have one deck lol good luck not getting bored

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Svyelun of Sea and Sky is a motherfucker of a card, is what. Other tribes wished they had something so obviously pushed.

Tide Shaper as a means of mana denial and Subtlety pulling double duty as free counterspell and evasive beater also helped significantly.

Glasspool Mimic is 3 cmc, 1 less than most clones, and has the upside of being a land if necessary. Most clones just sit uselessly if the board's not good.

The sideboard let's the deck go more towards control and has grave hate pieces, which have no backfire here. Shout out to Theiving Skydiver, who for 3 cmc can take a colossus hanmer from the puresteel paladin lists and hammer them with it right back, or snag amulet of vigor for laughs, and is a flying 2 drop besides.

I'm almost done with my Merfolk deck and I've been looking at recent decks for inspiration so I'm running Subtlety and Mimic too - Subtlety is sick and it's by far the cheapest of those evoke elemental cards so a full set only cost me like $20. I'm probably gonna bring Merfolk to my LGS this week for Wednesday modern :getin:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

mcmagic posted:

If you have a good draft win rate or get mythic in draft or constructed you'll easily have enough WCs to have every standard deck you need.

[Narrator: drafting, unfortunately, is not easy.]

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I'm almost done with my Merfolk deck and I've been looking at recent decks for inspiration so I'm running Subtlety and Mimic too - Subtlety is sick and it's by far the cheapest of those evoke elemental cards so a full set only cost me like $20. I'm probably gonna bring Merfolk to my LGS this week for Wednesday modern :getin:

If I wasn't about to buy a tabernacle I'd want to build this fish deck. It looks like a lot of fun

Wait what's the oboro for?

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 15, 2021

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ilmucche posted:

If I wasn't about to buy a tabernacle I'd want to build this fish deck. It looks like a lot of fun

Dodging Choke and Boil, I'd guess

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

Dodging Choke and Boil, I'd guess

Yeah, also a lot of decks run Mutavault (mine included) and you can kinda filter the mana by tapping Oboro for 1 blue, tapping a Mutavault for 1 colorless, return Oboro play it again and tap for another blue. I'm not running it personally since it's $80 but I do have Minamo and I'm also running Castle Vantress to have another utility blue land.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

This is what I'm running, I need 1 more Aether Vial and some of the sideboard is still iffy but I think it's a deece list:

1 Castle Vantress
10 Island
1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge
4 Mutavault
2 Waterlogged Grove
3 Aether Vial
3 Archmage's Charm
4 Glasspool Mimic // Glasspool Shore
4 Harbinger of the Tides
4 Master of the Pearl Trident
4 Merfolk Trickster
4 Silvergill Adept
4 Spell Pierce
4 Subtlety
4 Svyelun of Sea and Sky
4 Tide Shaper

Sideboard:
2 Counterspell
2 Dismember
2 Mystical Dispute
2 Soul-Guide Lantern
3 Tempted by the Oriq
2 Tidebinder Mage
2 Void Mirror

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I would also love to run Cavern of Souls and potentially SB Chalice of the Void but lol at the price tags.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

You absolutely do not want Cavern if you're running Archmage's Charm, Mutavault and Subtlety, so you can save yourself $300.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Oboro ... it's $80

What in the goddamn hell, that's insane.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Sitting on them until I can make a viable deck from them but the time never comes.

It's also really daunting to go all in on a deck because okay so I blow every wildcard I have and then well I have one deck lol good luck not getting bored
He's not talking about the wildcards you get, he's talking about the daily gold you are making from playing Arena exclusively. If you save your gold and draft you can very, very easily keep up with two or three Standard decks on Arena. The better you get at drafting the faster you'll build the decks you want. Even if you aren't good at draft, if you can push yourself to 3 wins you almost break even, and get to keep all of the cards you are drafting anyway.

And then ultimately, if you're really as pressed as you're making it sound for being able to build a deck, just spend the $50 on the 50 packs of the new set when those bundles are in the store. I know people don't like spending money on the game, but with $50 (a small part of what you'd spend making a deck IRL) you get 50 guaranteed rares/mythics and/or wildcards, and eight guaranteed rare/mythic wildcards. You also fill up your uncommons/commons (and U/C wildcards) which allows you to get more gems and vault progress while drafting.

Also another tip that will help with your overall gold gain: try to keep one 500 gold quest in your quests every day without completing it so that when you use your free reroll of the day, you have a chance to turn a 500g quest into 750g one.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 15, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ilmucche posted:

A single oboro is generally an upgrade from a single island in a lot of extreme edge cases. Its not required for the deck at all. You can probably ask veteran fish players how often they activate the land and I am willing to bet most of them aren't in the double digits yet.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yoked posted:

You absolutely do not want Cavern if you're running Archmage's Charm, Mutavault and Subtlety, so you can save yourself $300.

Yeah I guess that's true lol. Also seems less necessary when I can Aether Vault fish anyway

Cactrot posted:

What in the goddamn hell, that's insane.

Yeah it's nuts

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

GonSmithe posted:

He's not talking about the wildcards you get, he's talking about the daily gold you are making from playing Arena exclusively. If you save your gold and draft you can very, very easily keep up with two or three Standard decks on Arena. The better you get at drafting the faster you'll build the decks you want. Even if you aren't good at draft, if you can push yourself to 3 wins you almost break even, and get to keep all of the cards you are drafting anyway.

And then ultimately, if you're really as pressed as you're making it sound for being able to build a deck, just spend the $50 on the 50 packs of the new set when those bundles are in the store. I know people don't like spending money on the game, but with $50 (a small part of what you'd spend making a deck IRL) you get 50 guaranteed rares/mythics and/or wildcards, and eight guaranteed rare/mythic wildcards. You also fill up your uncommons/commons (and U/C wildcards) which allows you to get more gems and vault progress while drafting.

Also another tip that will help with your overall gold gain: try to keep one 500 gold quest in your quests every day without completing it so that when you use your free reroll of the day, you have a chance to turn a 500g quest into 750g one.

Oh I'm trying to do this! I think I managed three, maybe four, MID drafts before this latest set.

Thank you for the help, I'll continue this method and hopefully get some traction. To confirm I should spend my wildcards to get all the commons and uncommons?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Oh I'm trying to do this! I think I managed three, maybe four, MID drafts before this latest set.

Thank you for the help, I'll continue this method and hopefully get some traction. To confirm I should spend my wildcards to get all the commons and uncommons?

The rate at which excess dupes convert to Vault is 1000 commons or ~333 uncommons per single Vault, so only if you are absolutely drowning in c/u WCs should you do that.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

The mirror.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mcmagic posted:

1. Do all the quests to get coins
2. Don't buy packs, save your coins to draft. Then draft with the gems you win too.
3. Craft all the uncommons and commons from a new set right when it comes out to help fill your treasure box faster.

If you do all this and just have a decent draft win rate you will just naturally end up with a ton of WC's. If you have a good draft win rate or get mythic in draft or constructed you'll easily have enough WCs to have every standard deck you need.

Do you have a number on rare WC?
Because sure commons and uncommons I don't usually have an issue, Mythics either (probably, I don't spend many) but how many rares did you have on VOW day, and how many decks did you build that day?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Do you have a number on rare WC?
Because sure commons and uncommons I don't usually have an issue, Mythics either (probably, I don't spend many) but how many rares did you have on VOW day, and how many decks did you build that day?

I have something like 60rare WCs and 15 mythics right now but you have to remember I've been playing standard for a while on arena so I have most of the staples from previous sets so if I want to build a new deck or upgrade an existing deck i'm not just crafting everything at once. The more you play the easier it is to play which I guess is the point. I also just draft non stop the first week or so of a format until i'm sick of it or out of coins/gems so that gives me a head start getting the newer cards too because i'm getting rares in drafts and cracking prize packs.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mcmagic posted:

I have something like 60rare WCs and 15 mythics right now but you have to remember I've been playing standard for a while on arena so I have most of the staples from previous sets so if I want to build a new deck or upgrade an existing deck i'm not just crafting everything at once. The more you play the easier it is to play which I guess is the point. I also just draft non stop the first week or so of a format until i'm sick of it or out of coins/gems so that gives me a head start getting the newer cards too because i'm getting rares in drafts and cracking prize packs.

Ok so between MID and VOW how many did you get

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

I have no idea I'm not keeping track at that level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

I used to track this, here's my results from ZNR

Lone Goat posted:

Happy New Year Pack Opening Day!

After M21:
993.9% Vault
212 common, 91 uncommon, 58 rare, 33 mythic WC
155825 gold, 39660 gems, 1 draft token

26 ZNR events entered, all bo1 drafts, 126-62 (67% win rate), 10 trophies. 197 ZNR boosters.

Before opening ZNR packs:
967.9% vault (lol i accidentally clicked it again)
209 common, 66 uncommon, 26 rare, 21 mythic WC
135375 gold, 59490 gems, 1 draft token

I don't think I bought anything with gold/gems, aside from gold/gems/token when they were on sale, I haven't gotten the Mastery Pass yet. I crafted a lot of cards early in the format since M21 soured me on draft for a while and standard was pretty good after the bans. Still got 3 boosters left in the free track of the MP.

After opening ZNR packs:
1135.2% vault (lol i accidentally clicked it again)
263 common, 140 uncommon, 58 rare, 34 mythic WC
9 rares missing, 32 mythics missing

Spreadsheet was weird this time, it told me that I was at negative one drafts remaining, but a cell I added myself said there were 11 rares left to go, I'm gonna trust my numbers in the future. ZNR was fun, I'll still draft a few more times before Kaldheim and of the 9 missing the only ones that matter might be Skyclave Shade.

I'm following the strategy and spreadsheet in this article, but not raredrafting, just playing normal and collecting boosters by playing well.