Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
What happens if you're legit asleep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ghostlight posted:

zero. the answer is zero. zero people would choose to remain silent and hidden from law enforcement officers therefore committing a punishable crime on the principled stance that interacting with other people in any form whatsoever including from behind a window could lead to them catching a disease they are already under suspicion of having.

Is it illegal not to answer the door? I've ignored my doorbell lots of times, because I was in the middle of doing something, or on the phone, or not wearing any clothes, or half asleep, or watching TV, or not in the mood to tell a salesman I'm not interested, or assuming it was just a package delivery and I'd go get it in a few minutes. If I was specifically in quarantine, that'd be an even better reason than any of those to not go open the door and breathe on whoever it is.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They also try to contact the people via other means, such as their supplied phone no.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Is it illegal not to answer the door?

If you are under quarantine orders it probably is if they are specifically coming to check on you.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
surely AU cops have cellphone scanners used for their own surveillance panopticon police state and can tell if a person( yeah I know there's not a 100% link, but it might as well be) is there or not.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
N/m

withak fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 15, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PhazonLink posted:

surely AU cops have cellphone scanners used for their own surveillance panopticon police state and can tell if a person( yeah I know there's not a 100% link, but it might as well be) is there or not.

They've also been trialling facial recognition software, under the system they have to take a selfie at home and the software verifies that it's the correct face at the correct location

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/australias-two-largest-states-trial-facial-recognition-software-police-pandemic-2021-09-16/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“We have enough manpower to go door to door, but not enough to compare a couple of photos.”

:hmmyes:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Platystemon posted:

“We have enough manpower to go door to door, but not enough to compare a couple of photos.”

:hmmyes:

More like “We have enough manpower to go door to door, but perhaps we could also funnel some of the covid relief budget to our corporate friends for some reason???”

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

QuarkJets posted:

If someone gives you poo poo pity them in your head a moment and move on with your life

As a millennial I fear any kind of confrontation.

Zil posted:

As someone who lives in the south, this can't be stressed enough.

Her mom and sister moved to Florida, and there is a new nephew we've never cuddled. All 3 of her neurologists signed off on the trip, so c'est la vie.

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

I wear an Orville Peck fringe styled mask everywhere I go and the most negative I've ever gotten is a passing "that's unique," and I live in a rural southern area. you're not going to get Deliveranced

This is me:

I've only ever seen one other person with a respirator like this.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Beachcomber posted:

This is me:

I've only ever seen one other person with a respirator like this.

Most of the regular posters in the CSPAM covid thread wear a similar rig if you're looking for some respirator solidarity :ssh:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My foot will confront your rear end if you give a single poo poo what some chud thinks about mask wearing

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

QuarkJets posted:

My foot will confront your rear end if you give a single poo poo what some chud thinks about mask wearing

I just want to buy some gumbo and I'm afraid they won't let me.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Booster shot update: I don't feel as absolutely godawful as I did yesterday, but I still feel pretty lovely. Also, the lymph nodes in the armpit of my left arm (where I got shot) swelled up to the size of a ping-pong ball yesterday. It's working yes, but gently caress that is annoying.

If someone challenges you on wearing a face mask, the appropiate response is to punch them directly in the nose as hard as you can. As soon as they say something stupid like 'plandemic', don't wait, don't argue, start swinging.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
If this were a few months ago, I would have said STAY THE gently caress AWAY from the south but at the moment they’re doing better than the rest of the country as far as cases go… Did the virus burn through a large chunk of the unvaccinated?

I feel like my travel plans are basically going to the follow COVID maps for the foreseeable future. I’m not going to let it stop me anymore because after getting the booster, I’ve realized I’ve done as much as I can to protect myself and others and frankly I’m tired of being a recluse. I’m still the only person I know that doesn’t eat indoors yet, but that’s ok! I go at my own comfort level, as should we all…

liz fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 15, 2021

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly amazed that people are still doing international fun travel. A friend of mine is going to Germany for the next few weeks for some kind of festival.

Got my booster on Saturday. Arm is just a little sore but otherwise no issues.

Saturday evening I had my monthly aquarium fish meeting. I'm the only one who keeps a mask on it doesn't eat, and I make sure I sit away from most everyone which is actually pretty easy when I have my own table. Hilarious though to see even the servers in the restaurant don't have masks on. And there was one dude in the back of our meeting room who kept coughing on and off all meeting and shooting me dirty looks whenever I bust out my alcohol spray.

I run the raffle for the club, and pre covid it involved a very simple system where everyone would throw the raffle tickets in one giant jar, I would pull the first one, and then if I pulled your name, you would come up, pick the next ticket, and then go get your prize. Since covid I've eliminated that step, and some people think it's insulting that now I'm the only one that pulls the tickets. A few people have called fix if the same few people win, never mind that happened even when everyone was sticking their grubby hands in the jar. I just tell people that we can get through the raffle faster, get their prices faster if I'm not standing there waiting for people to dig through the jar, shake it up a few times, and then pull a ticket. Although precovid, there was one lady who licked her fingers before reaching into the jar. I was so shocked the first time I didn't say anything, but the next time I jerked the jar away, and she called that publicly shaming her when I refuse to let her stick her wet fingers back into the jar. Haven't seen her in a while, I wonder if she got sick from pretty much licking door handles.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

A Festivus Miracle posted:

If someone challenges you on wearing a face mask, the appropiate response is to punch them directly in the nose as hard as you can. As soon as they say something stupid like 'plandemic', don't wait, don't argue, start swinging.

Satisfying as it may be to break the nose of antivaxxer chuds, that's probably exactly the reaction they're hoping for by being antagonistic chuds.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

I'm honestly amazed that people are still doing international fun travel. A friend of mine is going to Germany for the next few weeks for some kind of festival.

I haven't been willing to bank on a given destination not being locked down again by the time my vacation rolled around but if that's not a concern for you, frankly, why not. At what point do you forsee travel becoming any safer or more achievable than it is now, and on what grounds?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 15, 2021

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

Satisfying as it may be to break the nose of antivaxxer chuds, that's probably exactly the reaction they're hoping for by being antagonistic chuds.

if some rightwing nut is going around trying to provoke the liberals there's a very good chance they're packing and would love to shoot you in "self defense"

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Cowslips Warren posted:

Your friend hopefully knows what‘s going on over here in regard to Corona? If not, we are currently at doubling numbers like every week or even less. Highest numbers ever.

E: also I totally assume that 2G+ will come into effect this week after the Ministerpräsidentenkonferenz, so if your friend wants to visit a festival, fully vaxxed might be needed, as well as a recent test.

tuo fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 15, 2021

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Beachcomber posted:

This is me:

The exhale valve on those isn't a filtered port, so you're only protecting yourself. There's little 3d printed chinguses that clip in to the exhaust port under your chin and have the 3m standard connector.

Use the round filters, they're way lighter.

I got one for my wife and one for me when this all started. She cried when she put it on the first time because the feeling of needing to 'pull' the valves open to breathe gave her anxiety, same thing when we tried SCUBA.

I use the spare to clean cat boxes now.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 15, 2021

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Mulaney Power Move posted:

if some rightwing nut is going around trying to provoke the liberals there's a very good chance they're packing and would love to shoot you in "self defense"

I feared for my life after I got into their face and called them a liberal pussy, Your Honor

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They also try to contact the people via other means, such as their supplied phone no.
Yeah, but if you're asleep it's probably muted

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

The exhale valve on those isn't a filtered port, so you're only protecting yourself.
Even an unfiltered port protects others better than cloth masks do
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2021-107/pdfs/2021-107.pdf?id=10.26616/NIOSHPUB2021107

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Neat that's a new paper I haven't seen yet!

Most of the valves point down, and collect a ton of moisture. I'm betting that is the mechanism that makes them similar to way the gently caress better than cloth masks.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

"Self-defense Claimed in Shooting Death of Antifa in Gas Mask"

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

QuarkJets posted:

If someone gives you poo poo pity them in your head a moment and move on with your life

I just give them a pitying laugh and tell them the democrats are lying to them about COVID being mild. They don't expect it, and it shuts them the hell up.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I haven't been willing to bank on a given destination not being locked down again by the time my vacation rolled around but if that's not a concern for you, frankly, why not. At what point do you forsee travel becoming any safer or more achievable than it is now, and on what grounds?

When effective therapeutics are widespread, easily available and with understood optimal treatment parameters. I'd personally rather not be stuck trying to run down Regeneron treatment like that chud stuck in El Salvador.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 15, 2021

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1459193042880155650

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

liz posted:

If this were a few months ago, I would have said STAY THE gently caress AWAY from the south but at the moment they’re doing better than the rest of the country as far as cases go… Did the virus burn through a large chunk of the unvaccinated?

I feel like my travel plans are basically going to the follow COVID maps for the foreseeable future. I’m not going to let it stop me anymore because after getting the booster, I’ve realized I’ve done as much as I can to protect myself and others and frankly I’m tired of being a recluse. I’m still the only person I know that doesn’t eat indoors yet, but that’s ok! I go at my own comfort level, as should we all…

I do believe the chud states have adopted what they lovingly call the 'Florida Model' which is to stop reporting COVID cases with any accuracy whatsoever and just pretend it doesn't exist.

To own the libs, of course.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Cowslips Warren posted:

Got my booster on Saturday. Arm is just a little sore but otherwise no issues.

Saturday evening I had my monthly aquarium fish meeting. I'm the only one who keeps a mask on it doesn't eat
There was a new admin at my wife's university that was in many of the general meetings in her department, every time this lady would walk into the room with her mask on and some food, sit down, take the mask off, and proceed to slowly eat/drink throughout the entire meeting only to put the mask back on when it was time to go.

School finally reached the deadline on the get vaxxed or get fired policy, this lady quit because she was obviously unvaxxed.

Same kinda poo poo with the people dodging travel quarantines, it's obvious who's gonna bend/break/ignore rules by people who would be doing poo poo like "travel during a pandemic" in the first place. People's general behavior towards the virus is easy to spot and it's for the most part not good.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Protocol7 posted:

I feared for my life after I got into their face and called them a liberal pussy, Your Honor

there's like 27 states where this defense will work if you pass the melanin test

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I just give them a pitying laugh and tell them the democrats are lying to them about COVID being mild. They don't expect it, and it shuts them the hell up.

When effective therapeutics are widespread, easily available and with understood optimal treatment parameters. I'd personally rather not be stuck trying to run down Regeneron treatment like that chud stuck in El Salvador.

I was one of the lucky ones who could work remotely and could just stay home through the past four? six? rounds of my state opening 'er up without losing my job and benefits. It's been a year since my granddad died because the memory ward he was in found testing requirements too burdensome. Last week we had a pipe burst in our kitchen ceiling; the plumber we called came in, took off his mask, coughed everywhere and announced he'd been fighting a bad cold for a week, now I'm coughing. Do whatever makes you feel good but I hear at least the weather is nice in El Salvador.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 15, 2021

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

I was one of the lucky ones who could work remotely and could just stay home through the past four? six? rounds of my state opening 'er up without losing my job and benefits. It's been a year since my granddad died because the memory ward he was in found testing requirements too burdensome. Last week we had a pipe burst in our kitchen ceiling; the plumber we called came in, took off his mask, coughed everywhere and announced he'd been fighting a bad cold for a week, now I'm coughing. Do whatever makes you feel good but I hear at least the weather is nice in El Salvador.

I'm not sure, "you're going to get it anyway" is the ringing endorsement for optional travel you think it is, especially when there are effective treatments on the near horizon.

Sucks about the plumber, I hope it's just the flu. A burst pipe seems more of a, "risk we need to take" than a suck and gently caress fest in Germany, but that's just me.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 15, 2021

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

DickParasite posted:

there's like 27 states where this defense will work if you pass the melanin test

I know. The humor comes from a place of pain :smith:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Booster shot update: I don't feel as absolutely godawful as I did yesterday, but I still feel pretty lovely. Also, the lymph nodes in the armpit of my left arm (where I got shot) swelled up to the size of a ping-pong ball yesterday. It's working yes, but gently caress that is annoying.

Do you really want to deal with chud cops in a chud state after you punched one of their fellow chuds in the nose?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Germany next week might be the worst timing, actually. This is literally the worst they've been at since the start of the pandemic.

I wouldn't be surprised if they followed Austria's lead and locked down the country shortly.

May or June of next year, if historical numbers are anything to go by.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 15, 2021

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just got my booster. I actually forgot my vaccination card but I did have information that Rite Aid for my first shots as a QR code so I used that. Otherwise I had no trouble. Not currently feeling much. Maybe some aches and chills, but nothing big.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 15, 2021

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Wife got boosted today, they must have hit something because she bled a ton. No side effects so far though. I'm not due mine until Jan though, but my 2nd dose is probably still going strong.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

liz posted:

No.

It's not hot as gently caress in the south right now so people can actually do poo poo outside. Once it gets too humid and hot to be out in unconditioned spaces, it'll hit back in a wave of infections.

Meanwhile it's rainy and cold and lovely in the northeast.

E: also lovely in the northwest. It's been raining for days on end and it's not the fun kind.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Germany next week might be the worst timing, actually. This is literally the worst they've been at since the start of the pandemic.

I wouldn't be surprised if they followed Austria's lead and locked down the country shortly.

Nah the liberals are part of the new govt negotiations, and they just announced that curfews and large area closures of retailers & schools will no longer be allowed.
They're softening the ground for teacher/nurse jab mandates, after an appropriate of time of 'lotsa tests, social distancing and prayers' to fail miserably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Austria's "lockdown" actually looks super weak, they're only placing restrictions on unvaccinated people but they're allowing a ton of exceptions and it doesn't look like they'll really be policing the restrictions anyway. It's just another aspect of their Schnitzelpanik plan to increase the vaxx rate by mildly inconveniencing the unvaccinated ("You won't be allowed into restaurants to eat schnitzel without a vaccine passport!") until they give in and get jabbed.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

No.

It's not hot as gently caress in the south right now so people can actually do poo poo outside. Once it gets too humid and hot to be out in unconditioned spaces, it'll hit back in a wave of infections.

Meanwhile it's rainy and cold and lovely in the northeast.

E: also lovely in the northwest. It's been raining for days on end and it's not the fun kind.
Yeah it flips back and forth from the top to the bottom:

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1457438899580456968

If you assemble the daily maps into a gif you can see them spread out from Florida like a wave and fly off towards the PNW

Slow:
Fast: