Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
How on earth do you end up worse than england on trans healthcare, seriously
https://gcn.ie/trans-healthcare-ireland-national-emergency/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Indifference.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/danobrien20/status/1452203547752284160

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ireland - a country famously lacking a collective memory of national tragedy, where no living people have ever had to endure hardship

If only we had more libertarians to teach us how to Think Correctly

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
It's so weird that the Irish treat covid like a bad thing and don't want lots of people to die as the UK is very aptly demonstrating is the superior way, just what on earth is going on?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Like it's been so conclusively proven by now when you look at the deaths - we didn't gently caress up as bad as the Brits so their death rate was twice ours, but we also didn't take any strong action to protect ourselves and implement sensible social policy or leverage the fact of our insularity, so we end up with double the deaths of Denmark. To say that we should have just let er rip is pure-strain libertarian brainworms in service to Big Economic Number

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I feel like the only appropriate response is to sharpie a penis on the back of his head.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Irish journalism is such a pathetic soup of silicon valley propaganda, gotcha politics and completely class ignorant analysis of literally anything ordinary people are lacking in basic necessities but that is honestly something special in dumbshitery

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I'm a british refugee living here about 4 months now, is there any leftish news media that's not completely captured by neolibs that people would recommend?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
an phoblacht m8

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

A strong endorsement, thank you.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah but would you recommend it

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

I’ll also suggest the tortoise shack podcast, they cover a fair bit on their patreon feed as well.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I think the problem stems from the fact that most of the journalists come from the same geographic and cultural base as the political class and are all mostly twats who will never actually have to work for a living. Most of the jobs are earned through nepotism. Due to this, the only leftist journalism is always going to be from fringe publications.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I think the problem stems from the fact that most of the journalists come from the same geographic and cultural base as the political class and are all mostly twats who will never actually have to work for a living. Most of the jobs are earned through nepotism. Due to this, the only leftist journalism is always going to be from fringe publications.

A shocking amount of leading Irish journalists literally have FF&FG TDs in their immediate families. Hugh O'Connell, the Indo's leading political analyst for example is married to Kate O'Connell of FG's sister (and parliamentary assistant). Ryan Tubridy is the paternal grandson of FF TD Seán Tubridy. His maternal grandfather was one of DeV's close associates. He has two uncles, and two first cousins, who were FF TDs. etc

The social linkage is endemic. Its a big reason why RTE, the Indo and the Irish Times are all so completely in line with establishment views at all times. Even aside from government pressure, or leverage of advertising budgets, the journos just aren't ever going to write hit pieces about their friends and family members.

Is there a non-paywalled version of this anywhere? I'd be curious to see his argument.

Blut fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 25, 2021

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've got a connection to it so take my endorsement with a grain of salt, but I like the work The Beacon does.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Blut posted:

A shocking amount of leading Irish journalists literally have FF&FG TDs in their immediate families. Hugh O'Connell, the Indo's leading political analyst for example is married to Kate O'Connell of FG's sister (and parliamentary assistant). Ryan Tubridy is the paternal grandson of FF TD Seán Tubridy. His maternal grandfather was one of DeV's close associates. He has two uncles, and two first cousins, who were FF TDs. etc

The social linkage is endemic. Its a big reason why RTE, the Indo and the Irish Times are all so completely in line with establishment views at all times. Even aside from government pressure, or leverage of advertising budgets, the journos just aren't ever going to write hit pieces about their friends and family members.

Is there a non-paywalled version of this anywhere? I'd be curious to see his argument.

Oh believe me I am familiar with this problem.

And I can't find one, even on the wayback machine, but it is only 50 cents for 1 week, but also gently caress 'em so I'm certainly not going to pay it.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I was in UCD when Ryan Tubridy's shitstain brother was student union head (Garret Tubridy), There was a shocking amount of toilet door gossip in the ladies toilets about how poo poo he was in bed, and then he decided to become a city banker in and around the time of the global crash.

lol.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

https://twitter.com/wallacemick/status/1452967493291626497

Mick Wallace just casually siding with an actual concentration camp having dictatorship over a democratic state's self determination.

Hes a national embarrassment thats somehow gotten worse since going over to Brussels.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Blut posted:

Mick Wallace just casually siding with an actual concentration camp having dictatorship over a democratic state's self determination.

But enough about Wallaces support of America.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Blut posted:

Miriam O'Callaghans brother is pretty big in Fianna fail. She's always on hand at rte to give out soft interviews to the gov politicans

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Southpaugh posted:

But enough about Wallaces support of America.

America are bad doesn’t equate to China are good.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Blut posted:

You're imagining other posters' arguments

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

I need someone to explain to me how people are still vitriolic and spitting blood whenever someone mentions the Labour party because 'look what they did to this country' but the very same people don't think twice about voting for Fine Gael or Fianna Fail despite what they actually did to this country and continue to do.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

I need someone to explain to me how people are still vitriolic and spitting blood whenever someone mentions the Labour party because 'look what they did to this country' but the very same people don't think twice about voting for Fine Gael or Fianna Fail despite what they actually did to this country and continue to do.

Those people are politically-illiterate morons. And they're the majority of the public

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Part of it is being aware that the minority party in a government has outsized power to influence the government by virtue of simply collapsing it at any moment, such as when the majority party is doing something blatantly evil, and the only reason they don't exercise this power and boot the majority party out of government too is that they crave the shreds of legitimacy that the parties gain by being in government and don't actually give a gently caress about the policies they claim to care about. This tends to result in a feeling of betrayal that stings more than Fine Gael or Fianna Fáil being their usual shite selves. See also: the Greens.

The rest is as Failed Imagineer says.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
To clarify, I think it's totally fair to hate Labour and the Greens, as long as you reserve the majority of your hatred for FFG

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Man I hate Fine Gael so much I am literally putting together a Greenshirt platoon to use in Spanish Civil War games of Chain of Command so I can say "the ones in Nazi uniform are Leo Varadkar's party".

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Blut posted:

Chairman Xi! I beseech you please imprison my posting enemies! Chairman Xi!!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Does anyone know what parts of the government are still shut down for Covid restriction? I submitted an application for a foreign birth registration early last year so it got stuck due to Covid, but the official webpage (https://www.dfa.ie/about-us/contact-us/contact-foreign-birth-registration-citizenship/) has said the processing is paused for almost a year now but i can't see anything else to say that department should be closed.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lungboy posted:

Does anyone know what parts of the government are still shut down for Covid restriction? I submitted an application for a foreign birth registration early last year so it got stuck due to Covid, but the official webpage (https://www.dfa.ie/about-us/contact-us/contact-foreign-birth-registration-citizenship/) has said the processing is paused for almost a year now but i can't see anything else to say that department should be closed.

So we had to deal with this as my wife and I had a baby and trying to register their birth was a pain.

Basically applications done online are being processed much slower. The best strategy is to either visit an office in person or to try and call them to speak to a human to see if they can advance matters.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I just got my PPS number after a month and a half since starting the new job. My brothers are waiting months and months for their FBRs. Mine wasn't too bad but I sent it off the day of the brexit vote and seemed to have gotten in before the rush.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

The Question IRL posted:

So we had to deal with this as my wife and I had a baby and trying to register their birth was a pain.

Basically applications done online are being processed much slower. The best strategy is to either visit an office in person or to try and call them to speak to a human to see if they can advance matters.

Thanks for the reply. I'm in the UK so no chance of visiting in person. I'll try ringing but assumed there'd be nobody there given the website message.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Do note that if you're aiming for Ireland itself you can still move/get a job/whatever without your FBR being completed. Irish citizenship is irrelevant for all that, just UK is fine.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

gonadic io posted:

Do note that if you're aiming for Ireland itself you can still move/get a job/whatever without your FBR being completed. Irish citizenship is irrelevant for all that, just UK is fine.

It's not so much that as wanting citizenship as I have a chronic health condition that wouldn't be covered without it.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

The Question IRL posted:

I was waiting 4 months from the birth of my child this year to getting their birth cert. Never had it take so long before.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Marenghi posted:

I was waiting 4 months from the birth of my child this year to getting their birth cert. Never had it take so long before.

In fairness to the Office of Births, Marriages and Deaths, they were great for this.
We spoke to a member of staff who said "go to the website, print out these forms and apply. Then when you get approved, email me and send me this code and I will fast track the rest."

Now we were still delayed because there was information in the small print of the form that I didn't know I needed to provide, but having someone to email really sped things up.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Maybe we should have followed up with that office.

We were going through the hospital who every week for 2 months told us they had dispatched forms for us to fill and submit.

And when we finally got the forms it was another 2 months before they were processed. We should have rang them also to try speed it along. I guess we were just exhausted from following up with the hospital, they were still doing everything by paper due to the hack and it would take days just for them to find our data and call us back.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Lungboy posted:

To answer my own question in case anyone else is interested, the processing of foreign births has resumed on a phased basis as of today. Current timescale for processing of applications is 2 years, although when i spoke to someone in August 2020 i was told they were processing applications from May 2019, so unless they've had almost no applications since then, 2 years seems utterly unrealistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Lungboy posted:

To answer my own question in case anyone else is interested, the processing of foreign births has resumed on a phased basis as of today. Current timescale for processing of applications is 2 years, although when i spoke to someone in August 2020 i was told they were processing applications from May 2019, so unless they've had almost no applications since then, 2 years seems utterly unrealistic.

I don’t get this. Our daughter was born here in the US in January of 2020, and had her Irish passport by August of last year (issue date July 30th). Are those things not connected? Is my Irish wife a witch?