Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Really looking forward to an answer for this.

So disappointed. :rubshands:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Lone Badger posted:

That's exactly what I'd expect them to say if it was aliens.

It’s not Mexican Satan.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Should I just do the Windows 11 upgrade? My computer keeps telling me to do it but I have heard it is not actually better in any way

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Manager Hoyden posted:

Should I just do the Windows 11 upgrade? My computer keeps telling me to do it but I have heard it is not actually better in any way

There is no reason to ever upgrade your OS as long as it's getting security patches, and everything you want to do is still working on it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Boba Pearl posted:

There is no reason to ever upgrade your OS as long as it's getting security patches, and everything you want to do is still working on it.

What if you want another different visual representation of alt-tab that you won’t use?? Your use case isn’t universal. :colbert:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

If you are in the minority of people who would like to run Android apps on Windows, then upgrade.

Otherwise it’s probably best to wait a year or two. MS will likely be pushing out a ton of bug fixes and minor UI changes in the meanwhile.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Windows 11 blocks Edge browser competitors from opening links

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Boba Pearl posted:

Wellll, that's not strictly true as under some circumstances (and until / unless it is addressed), Windows 11 will run 12th gen i-series cpus more efficiently than Windows 10, with better power management and higher frame rates in games. It's a dumb, complicated issue but if someone is a hard core gamer, owns a 12xxx Intel CPU, and doesn't want to wait to see if / when the issue is fixed, they should upgrade to Windows 11.

If someone is coming from iOS, they might feel more comfortable with Windows 11.

For everyone else I don't see a need. (Source: systems analyst who has been tasked with evaluating whether my org needs to upgrade)

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Long shot, but does anyone happen to work in data analytics? And if so are there any certs you would recommend getting? Or even any books/sites to read?

edit: though if I should start a tell me thread about it, let me know.

Zil fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 13, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's a data science thread over in SAL but nothing about analytics more broadly. It might be a good topic for BFC.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ultrafilter posted:

There's a data science thread over in SAL but nothing about analytics more broadly. It might be a good topic for BFC.

That will work. Going to lurk it for a bit to see if my questions are answered, if not at least I have a more appropriate place to ask than here. Thank you very much.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Manager Hoyden posted:

The one actual new feature is the android subsystem thing.
So basically if you want to be able to run mobile apps on your pc it might be worth it.
...But there are already third-party android emulators that can do that on win10 anyways.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There's also a thread for IT certs in SHSC which might be helpful.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Is there a "Random cool facts" thread anywhere? i looked but i see specific topic stuff but no general thread for it

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I’m reading a book published in 1941 and there’s reference to a woman’s “sport suits.” What kind of outfit would this be at that time? If you said sport suit to me now I guess I’d envision a track suit.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

They had those tennis/field sport outfits back then. This link has some decent examples of around then and what it turned into for varies sports. But back then they would be playing tennis in dresses that were barely cut down from what a normal dress would be for the day

"In pictures: The evolution of women's sportswear - BBC News" https://www.bbc.com/news/world-41742378.amp

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Badger of Basra posted:

I’m reading a book published in 1941 and there’s reference to a woman’s “sport suits.” What kind of outfit would this be at that time? If you said sport suit to me now I guess I’d envision a track suit.

This is a great article about women’s exercise fashions throughout the 20th century.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

AlbieQuirky posted:

This is a great article about women’s exercise fashions throughout the 20th century.

It's surprising how modern a lot of those look, maybe change the cuts slightly but

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I'm drafting the abstract section of a patent before I hand it off to someone well-versed in the process. How would I describe lines that are not only attached, but stay straight like gluing the end of a stick to a cube?

Lines are attached to a three-dimensional object, such as a cube, which can move or rotate independently.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

do some electric vehicles add artificial sounds to help reduce the danger of a "silent" car, or do their motors just naturally sound like spooky spaceships?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Earwicker posted:

do some electric vehicles add artificial sounds to help reduce the danger of a "silent" car, or do their motors just naturally sound like spooky spaceships?

It’s artificial. There are various legal requirements for it.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

I read somewhere that some of them actually play the sound of a combustion engine. I may have even heard it for myself (though I'd have no way of knowing lol).

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I hate cups as a measurement. It felt pretty emotive, so I've always been very live and let live about it, but the other day I poured some treacle from my measuring jug into the bowl. I knew how much I'd put in initially, in cups, but realised only after pouring a bit in, that it was the wrong amount initially.

So at this point, how do I adjust how much I add further? I knew how much extra I'd put in initially, and l knew what it should be, but my measuring jug was a loving mess, who knew what volume it now held?

If seems like a measuring method that only has downsides. Is there a reason is actually not horrible?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Uh, what? You subtract how much you put in, from how much you wanted to put in, and add that much more.

It is more convenient for a lot of baking to use mass-based measurement. You put a bowl on a scale and just pour poo poo in until it hits the weight you want. Unfortunately most recipes give volumes and not masses and it's not trivial to convert. And it doesn't work for everything, like you'd still probably use spoons for spices and other small quantities.

Mass is easier for sure but I can't imagine hating volume based measurement so much though. What is so bad about it?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

!Klams posted:

I hate cups as a measurement. It felt pretty emotive, so I've always been very live and let live about it, but the other day I poured some treacle from my measuring jug into the bowl. I knew how much I'd put in initially, in cups, but realised only after pouring a bit in, that it was the wrong amount initially.

So at this point, how do I adjust how much I add further? I knew how much extra I'd put in initially, and l knew what it should be, but my measuring jug was a loving mess, who knew what volume it now held?

If seems like a measuring method that only has downsides. Is there a reason is actually not horrible?

Are you mad that volumetric measuring is difficult if you don’t pay attention to it or remember what you measured out? If you need a cup of treacle then pour from a jar into a one cup measuring cup and dump it into the bowl. Do you feel similarly about volumetric measuring in metric units, too?

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

If you mean that the treacle obscured how much was actually left, making it impossible to calculate how much you'd used, you can usually just wait a minute for it to drip back down into the cup. Or you can use a rubber spatula to expedite the process, scraping it all back down into the cup where it belongs.

The advantage of cups and other imperial measures of volume is that being divisible by 4s and 3s makes it easier to do mental math as well as work by ratios of ingredients to one another. This is less advantageous in 2021, but was pretty handy in times when not everyone had a calculator and scale available, and when your cup was not guaranteed to be the same as everyone else's.

Everett False fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 15, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If you have a really viscous opaque thing like that you're better using "dry" measuring cups.
Liquid measuring cups like the one you have are one big glass container with multiple markings, but a set of dry measuring cups will just be a bunch of plastic/metal cups with volumes of exactly 1 cup, 1/2 cup, etc. Instead of looking at lines you just fill the cup up and level it off.
These are way easier to use for stuff like flour but will also work well for things like molasses that sticks to the side of the liquid cup and blocks your view of the measuring lines

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
What are some good unionization resources? I was just told that my department is expected to double its productivity within a week while people are already working 70+ hour weeks across the board, and this seems as good a time as any to start putting out feelers in my department and others.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why is it so hard to lock up Steve Bannon again?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

DildenAnders posted:

What are some good unionization resources? I was just told that my department is expected to double its productivity within a week while people are already working 70+ hour weeks across the board, and this seems as good a time as any to start putting out feelers in my department and others.

Your best bet is probably to reach out to a union. They have people who help workplaces unionize.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Grouchio posted:

Why is it so hard to lock up Steve Bannon again?

The justice system is on his side.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

DildenAnders posted:

There's
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3979626&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

...huh. I thought that had more posts in it than it does. The first post might still be useful though.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

!Klams posted:

If you want recipes with measurements in grams etc then look at British, Australian etc recipe websites, basically any non American recipe site. Aussies do use cups as a measure but recipes will have dry ingredients measured in grams with cups reserved for liquids or stuff where exactness isn't necessary.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

CSPAM also has a thread for you: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909994&pagenumber=1&perpage=20

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Haha THAT'S why I was so sure the thread called "organize your workplace" had more posts in it. It does, it's just that my forums search found the wrong one!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

If I hold up a blue book and ask what color it is, how do you know it's blue? That is, at the most basic level, the cones and rods in your eye report that 11% of yellow cones were stimulated, 89% of the blue cones and so on, and reports that to the brain. But our conscious mind does not have access to that raw data, right? So the brain says "ok, when this mix of cones are stimulated, we call that blue" and passes that data on to the preconscious mind. Is there a field of science that studies that process and how it works? I'm not sure what it would be called -- structural psychology doesn't seem right. I know generally it's part of the mind-brain issue but was curious if there was a specific field of study for it.

Thanks!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

There is a philosophical issue of course but what you're after is probably people in neuroscience who study the visual cortex, a really fascinating part of the brain.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

As opposed to the boring, mundane and not at all mysterious parts.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

alnilam posted:

There is a philosophical issue of course but what you're after is probably people in neuroscience who study the visual cortex, a really fascinating part of the brain.

Thanks. I didn't make it clear but I'm not interested in the visual competent specifically, but rather in the way that raw sensory data is interpreted into information the conscious mind can process.

Like, what would a sentient being look like who has access to the raw data being taken in by the senses? That abstraction layer seems absolutely necessary to life as we know it. It's truly bizarre to think that our brains take in information that our minds are completely incapable of accessing. Like, who's actually running the show here?

BTW I'm high as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

"yeah but like how do we actually perceive poo poo maaan" is the ultimate high question for a good reason, because it's a genuinely deep, complex, and mysterious question, that touches on many branches of both philosophy and science