Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost

Rebel Blob posted:

It's important to remember that syphilis was always something to blame on those bloody foreigners.

Ethiopia has no data and will never have data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Rebel Blob posted:

It's important to remember that syphilis was always something to blame on those bloody foreigners.

I'm grandgore

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Did you ever see them when they went on tour with Persian Fire? That was an awesome concert.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Typical, Nurgle the plague god gets no respect for his gift to all mankind. Ungrateful is what it is.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Rebel Blob posted:

It always seemed fitting that one of the rewards that European explorers got for raping the New World was an STD.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost

By popular demand posted:

Typical, Nurgle the plague god gets no respect for his gift to all mankind. Ungrateful is what it is.

how many loving grandma's do you want Nurgle? Covid isn't enough for you?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost

Cthulu Carl posted:

It always seemed fitting that one of the rewards that European explorers got for raping the New World was an STD.

STDs were the one place Europeans gave without wanting anything back

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Rebel Blob posted:

I like that, despite centuries of rivalry and vitriol, nobody accused the English of being the source of an STD.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost
call the police on grandgore

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

grandgore was my least favorite killer instinct character

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

piL posted:

I like that, despite centuries of rivalry and vitriol, nobody accused the English of being the source of an STD.

English disease is usually rickets, cause of all the children living in the slums and working in the factories causing lack of vitamin D

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Most of Europe: *points fingers at France*

France: it’s, uh, those damned Neapolitans!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cthulu Carl posted:

Maybe.

There’s been some interesting archæological finds of apparently syphilitic skeletons predating the Columbian Exchange.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Maybe.

There’s been some interesting archæological finds of apparently syphilitic skeletons predating the Columbian Exchange.

In Europe or Asia? My understanding was that Syphilis developed in the Americas and is like one of the only diseases that went New World -> Europe, instead of the other way around like smallpox and all the other poo poo in those blankets and scurvy-riddled sailors.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cthulu Carl posted:

In Europe or Asia? My understanding was that Syphilis developed in the Americas and is like one of the only diseases that went New World -> Europe, instead of the other way around like smallpox and all the other poo poo in those blankets and scurvy-riddled sailors.

There’s no smoking gun yet, but the circumstantial evidence is building.

There’s recently been groundbreaking DNA recovery of the bacteria itself, but the error bars on the dating of the human remains encompasses some post-Columbian time.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

piL posted:

That would require admitting to loving an Englishperson.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

evil_bunnY posted:

I've not ridden much in norway. denmark has a mix of colored asphalt and coatings, sweden has very few color-delimited cycle paths, and I've never seen red asphalt.

In Åland the default color of asphalt is red, because of the local rock it's made from.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ILL Machina posted:

I was reminded (unsourced) that wolfsbane was used in early cancer treatments. Might be the correlation.

back in this time, people conceived of cancerous tumors as a wolf eating its way through the body. like they knew that something was growing in the body, and it would grow through things you needed to be alive and destroy those things, so the tumor was like a tiny predator running loose in your body

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Wolframite, today known as the primary ore of tungsten, got its name because when it was found in tin mines, it was as though a wolf had consumed the tin. Miners didn’t know what this stuff was, but it was not tin and no value could be found in it.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Raise the bridge? Lower the road?

Or maybe there's a 3rd way?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

back in this time, people conceived of cancerous tumors as a wolf eating its way through the body. like they knew that something was growing in the body, and it would grow through things you needed to be alive and destroy those things, so the tumor was like a tiny predator running loose in your body

thats dumb. Also being named cancer, means cancer is a crab and therefore needs to be seasoned with old bay and other seafood spice mixes.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

ekuNNN posted:

OSHA: Kil'd by several accidents

Servant: you've returned early, m'lord
Lord: king's evil
Servant: pardon?
Lord: *loading a crossbow and getting back on the horse* king's evil

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PetraCore posted:

I believe some people did believe him, and at least one doctor committed suicide at the realization that poor sanitation on his part contributed to patient deaths. The thing that was tricky is that Ignaz Semmelweis was talking about sanitizing instruments, not just cleaning them, and this was before germ theory, so many doctors got really offended at the idea they could be somehow doing something unclean when they'd clearly rinsed off all the dead guy chunks. And the only reason Semmelweis figured it out in the first place was because his city had two places where babies could be delivered, his hospital and a midwife clinic, and it was blatantly obvious that people going to the hospital died a lot more, to the point people would beg to just deliver in neither place if only the hospital was available. Well, as a doctor that's obviously pretty disturbing, but there was no at-the-time obvious reason for that to happen, so Semmelweis just started trying everything the midwife clinic did differently in small trials to see where the difference would kick in. Like, they were literally trying 'maybe if we position the women in the same way they position them at the midwife clinic' and 'maybe people are just dying of fright from hearing about all the deaths so we make it less obvious when people are dying' first.

Well, of course the actual difference is that the midwife clinic didn't perform autopsies, so while I doubt everything there was sanitized to modern standards they also weren't just caught in a vicious cycle of their equipment giving women infections and then the women died of infections so they performed autopsies on the infected women and then didn't wash their hands before delivering another baby, thus giving the woman delivering the baby an infection. Semmelweis himself had no real explanation for what was happening beyond the dead containing an invisible miasma that transferred if you didn't sanitize properly, since he was working with the miasma theory of infection instead of germ theory. He just knew it worked, because people died a lot less when his procedures were followed. Scientific method at it's finest.

EDIT: All of this is semi-remembered from the Sawbones episode on him so I might be wrong on the details.

Yeah, the 'Semmelweis the tormented genius' thing is basically a myth, in the same way that columbus discovering the earth was round is a myth - in both cases these are people who believed something that was obviously false, who in have been mythologized and assigned modern beliefs instead of the ones the actually held, then treated as matyrs.

For instance, people say he was talking about the disease being contagious, but Semmelweis' actual belief was specifically 'childbed fever is ONLY caused by pieces of corpses ('cadaverous particles') getting into women - so doctors who do dissections of cadavers spread it'. And he was pretty firm on the 'not contagious' thing, too.

semmelweis posted:

Childbed fever is not a contagious disease. A contagious disease is one that produces the contagion by which the disease is spread. This contagion brings about only the same disease in other individuals. . . .Smallpox causes only smallpox and no other disease. . . . Childbed fever is different”

To which the medical establishment sensibly responded 'so why do we also see this disease in hospitals that don't do dissections, then?' To which his response was 'uuuuuuuuuuuuh?' And then they said 'well, this disease is known to come in outbreaks where a bunch of people get it and then nobody gets it, so we really need a bigger sample to prove anything, can we have more data'?

In response, Semmelweis immediately and promptly... didn't publish any additional data for FOURTEEN YEARS. And during that time, there was another outbreak of childbed fever... in his handwashing ward.

Having had his 'no corpse hands = no fever' theory disproven, Semmelweis revised his theory from 'cadaverous particles' being 'pieces of corpses', to 'things that can be produced inside living people as well', and blamed a lady on the same floor who had uterine cancer (given his lack of tact, probably with some comment like 'your poison womb is making the ICU too drat crowded').

Note that he wasn't even the first person to publish a paper saying 'hey maybe bad stuff on people's hands causes childbed fever', James Young Simpson published that theory ten years earlier - but he didn't say 'oh and that bad stuff is all corpse pieces and is the only way you get it' - making Semmelweis both late and wrong.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, the 'Semmelweis the tormented genius' thing is basically a myth, in the same way that columbus discovering the earth was round is a myth - in both cases these are people who believed something that was obviously false, who in have been mythologized and assigned modern beliefs instead of the ones the actually held, then treated as matyrs.

For instance, people say he was talking about the disease being contagious, but Semmelweis' actual belief was specifically 'childbed fever is ONLY caused by pieces of corpses ('cadaverous particles') getting into women - so doctors who do dissections of cadavers spread it'. And he was pretty firm on the 'not contagious' thing, too.

To which the medical establishment sensibly responded 'so why do we also see this disease in hospitals that don't do dissections, then?' To which his response was 'uuuuuuuuuuuuh?' And then they said 'well, this disease is known to come in outbreaks where a bunch of people get it and then nobody gets it, so we really need a bigger sample to prove anything, can we have more data'?

In response, Semmelweis immediately and promptly... didn't publish any additional data for FOURTEEN YEARS. And during that time, there was another outbreak of childbed fever... in his handwashing ward.

Having had his 'no corpse hands = no fever' theory disproven, Semmelweis revised his theory from 'cadaverous particles' being 'pieces of corpses', to 'things that can be produced inside living people as well', and blamed a lady on the same floor who had uterine cancer (given his lack of tact, probably with some comment like 'your poison womb is making the ICU too drat crowded').

Note that he wasn't even the first person to publish a paper saying 'hey maybe bad stuff on people's hands causes childbed fever', James Young Simpson published that theory ten years earlier - but he didn't say 'oh and that bad stuff is all corpse pieces and is the only way you get it' - making Semmelweis both late and wrong.

Great post! Finding out stuff is hard.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

minato posted:

Raise the bridge? Lower the road?

Or maybe there's a 3rd way?

loled irl

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BTW James Young Simpson is pretty hilarious OHSA.txt on his own. Here's his discovery of chloroform, which he did by sitting around in his dining room huffing random chemicals with his friends.

British Veterinary Journal and Annals of Comparative Pathology: Volume 50" posted:

In January 1847 Simpson gained for the Edinburgh Medical School the proud distinction of being the scene of the first use of anæsthetics in obstetric practice. His acute mind, however, soon perceived the shortcomings of ether, and he could not rest satisfied until he had discovered something better to take its place. To this end he and his two assistants, Dr. George Keith and Dr. Matthews Duncan, night after night, spent hours in the dining-room of No. 52 Queen Street inhaling substance after substance. All the scientific curiosities were unearthed from the laboratories of chemists and tested; the enthusiastic invigorators sitting round the dining table and inhaling the drugs from tumblers and saucers, much we can imagine, to the alarm of the rest of the household.

Mr. Waldie, a native of Linlithgowshire, practicing as a chemist in Liverpool, was the one who suggested that “perchloride of formyle," as it was then called, should be tried. This “curious liquid” had been discovered in 1831 by Soubeiran and Liebig, and its chemical composition had been determined in 1835 by the famous French chemist Dumas. The liquid was heavy and not volatile-looking, and therefore did not attract Simpson, who, instead of trying it, put it away, and apparently half forgot its existence. One night, however, it was brought to light again and tried; the results of the experiment are graphically told by Simpson's next-door neighbour, Professor Miller.

“Late one evening — it was the 4th of November 1847 — on returning home after a weary day's labour, Dr. Simpson with his two friends and assistants, Drs. Keith and Duncan, sat down to their somewhat hazardous work in Dr. Simpson's dining-room. Having inhaled several substances, but without much effect, it occurred to Dr. Simpson to try a ponderous material which he had formerly set aside on a lumber table, and which, on account of its great weight, he had hitherto regarded as of no likelihood whatever. That happened to be a small bottle of chloroform. It was searched for, and recovered from beneath a heap of waste paper. And with each tumbler newly charged, the inhalers renewed their vocation. Immediately an unwonted hilarity seized the party, — they became bright-eyed, very happy, and very loquacious — expatiating on the delicious aroma of the new fluid. The conversation was of unusual intelligence, and quite charmed the listeners — some ladies of the family, and a naval officer, brother-in-law to Dr. Simpson. But suddenly there was a talk of sounds being heard like those of a cotton mill, louder and louder; a moment more and then all was quiet, and then crash!

On awakening, Dr. Simpson's first impression was mental. “This is far stronger and better than ether, " said he to himself. His second was to note that he was prostrate on the floor, and that among the friends about him there was both confusion and alarm. Hearing a noise, he turned round and saw Dr. Duncan beneath a chair, his jaw dropped, his eyes staring, his head bent half under him, quite unconscious, and snoring in a most determined and alarming manner. More noise still, and much motion. And then his eyes overtook Dr. Keith's feet and legs making valorous attempts to over turn the supper table, or more probably to annihilate everything that was on it. By and bye, Dr. Simpson having regained his seat, Dr. Duncan having finished his uncomfortable and unrefreshing slumber, and Dr. Keith having come to an arrangement with the table and its contents, the sederunt was resumed. Each expressed himself delighted with this new agent, and its inhalation was repeated many times that night — one of the ladies gallantly taking her place and turn at the table — until the supply of chloroform was fairly exhausted.”

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ekuNNN posted:

i'm making a videogame atm and this image is now my boss/miniboss name list

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Teeth470 is a name for a lovely punk band that sponsors as demolition derby car named Jaundies

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Cut of the Stone is a single by Mastodon

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

a primate posted:

Most of Europe: *points fingers at France*

France: it’s, uh, those damned Neapolitans!
From Voltaire's "Candide":

"Pangloss replied in these terms: 'O my dear Candide! you
have known Paquette, that pretty attendant of our august Baroness; I have tasted in her arms the delights of paradise, which
have produced these torments of hell of which you see me devoured; she was infected with it; she is, perhaps, dead of it.
Paquette held this present from a very wise Franciscan monk
who had ascended to the fountain head; for he had had it of an
old countess, who had received it from a captain of cavalry, who
owed it to a marchioness, who held it of a page, who had received
it from a Jesuit, who, while a novice, had had it in direct line
of one of the companions of Christopher Columbus. For me, I
shall not give it to anybody, because I am dying.'

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Cut of the Stone is a single by Mastodon

Apparently cutting out kidney stones through the perineum was developed by the ancient Greeks. They referred to it as a lesser operation or 'apparatus parvus' since all you needed was a knife and a hook for it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

His Divine Shadow posted:

In Åland the default color of asphalt is red, because of the local rock it's made from.

There’s a chunk of road on I-90 in western Montana, somewhere between Garrison and Missoula, where the aggregate they got to mix up the asphalt is a distinctly pink color. I dunno if they’ve paved over or torn it up since (haven’t been home for a few years), but it was noticeable for decades.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that, as a prosecutor, you should never pick up the defendant's rifle during your closing arguments and point it at the jury with your finger on the trigger, even if a police officer has told you it's unloaded.

Edit: Even worse, apparently he did pull the trigger.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 15, 2021

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Phanatic posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that, as a prosecutor, you should never pick up the defendant's rifle during your closing arguments and point it at the jury with your finger on the trigger, even if a police officer has told you it's unloaded.

Just a lil assault with a deadly weapon to drive my closing argument home.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ekuNNN posted:

Man that infant mortality's no joke.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Whenever is see these oldie things we find funny, I tried to imagine contemporary crap that'll sound hilarious in a couple of centuries.

"Died of sepsis? And this one of 'old age'? Man, I'm sure glad I don't live in the times before rejuvenating bloodstream nanobots were invented."

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Man that infant mortality's no joke.

Yeah, when you need to break infant deaths into 4 categories things are pretty grim.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

"Drowned? youre telling me there was enough water in one place it could kill you???"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Phanatic posted:

otoh maybe putting a little fear of death into the jury would help them associate better with the victims targets of self-defense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Nenonen posted:

As much as I hate seeing the dentist, that's definitely one reason to avoid time travel to previous centuries: healthcare was either dodgy or non-existent. And many folk remedies were just bonkers. "This plant looks remotely like the human organ your sickness is connected to, so you should it eat. Is the plant poisonous? Might be!"

Jar, Lamp, Ham (:nws:Oglaf:nws:)