Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

josh04 posted:

Goons in the searchlight:

quote:

Neighbour Sharon Cullen said she thought four men aged about in their 20s lived at the address in Sutcliffe Street.

She said: “I don’t know any of them but one them always seemed to be on a PC in his bedroom.”

How on earth does she know that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The amount of YT ads have got so much worse since they started hawking paid ad-free accounts. I've long run PiHole (no longer on a raspberry pi) which is great as a general catch-all and works with my Roku box, but YT is making me tempted to put in the effort of getting uBlock.

NowTV is just terrible and it's only Sky's monopoly on HBO and a lot of movies that makes it at all worthwhile. It's not even as cheap as it used to be (it used to be: get cheap 2 month gift cards at the supermarket, then take up cheap offers when you cancel)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How on earth does she know that?
RGB case and no curtains.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pablo Bluth posted:

The amount of YT ads have got so much worse since they started hawking paid ad-free accounts. I've long run PiHole (no longer on a raspberry pi) which is great as a general catch-all and works with my Roku box, but YT is making me tempted to put in the effort of getting uBlock.

Doesn't it take like three clicks to get uBlock working? What effort?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

big scary monsters posted:

e: Apparently Pure Tuber is not formerly Vanced, Vanced is here: https://vancedapp.com/.

This sounds very appealing but I'd like to know more about people's experience of this. So far it's been a faff:

1) first I download the "vanced manager"
2) then i change my phone's settings to install .apk's from unknown sources because it didn't come from the play store
3) then i download something called microG which is apparently necessary but for what i don't know
4) then i download youtube vanced
5) and then - and this is where i get concerned - i have to hand over my google account credentials to sign in to youtube via vanced. How secure is this?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Solefald posted:

Lmao the gently caress is that reporting
"we don't know anything other than he was BROWN AND THEREFORE MUSLIMIST"

It's like they're trying to stir up the migrant dinghy fash before there's any proof with "we don't even know who's coming into the country" rather than explore any options that maybe he wasn't on a watchlist because he hadn't done anything worth watching until he did.

(And at the same time making a weird implication about the number of Middle Eastern descended men who didn't come here recently who are on watchlists for some reason.)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

You think youtube ads are bad, Now TV has unskippable ads at the start of their films and you pay for that loving pleasure.

Ideally it 'd be illegal to put ads on paid services. I can't see any justification for it - especially when so many services get by just fine without them.

Sky is the worst for it. We pay for the basic package plus on demand services (because that also covers the cost of Netflix) and on demand shows almost always have poorly placed ads these days. They'll put an ad break in the middle of a scene of The Sopranos - it's awful.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Same thing happens in cinemas y'know.

It shouldn't. :)

stev fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 15, 2021

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Is it weird that i don't trust the security of phones?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

They'll put an ad break in the middle of a scene of The Sopranos - it's awful.
The famous final scene where it cuts to Go Compare.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Guavanaut posted:

It's like they're trying to stir up the migrant dinghy fash before there's any proof with "we don't even know who's coming into the country" rather than explore any options that maybe he wasn't on a watchlist because he hadn't done anything worth watching until he did.

(And at the same time making a weird implication about the number of Middle Eastern descended men who didn't come here recently who are on watchlists for some reason.)

Exactly. I feel loving sick that they'd even try to push this. No other media is making this same claim so what the heck?

As I previously mentioned there's raised racial tensions in the City because of "us" taking in a large amount of refugees from Afghanistan.

This is only going to add fuel to the flame.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Got told earlier by someone there had been another explosion in Liverpool but just ignored them cos lol

Apparently there has been a controlled explosion ?????? Can't hear the news properly.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

stev posted:

Ideally it 'd be illegal to put ads on paid services. I can't see any justification for it - especially when so many services get by just fine without them.

Sky is the worst for it. We pay for the basic package plus on demand services (because that also covers the cost of Netflix) and on demand shows almost always have poorly placed ads these days. They'll put an ad break in the middle of a scene of The Sopranos - it's awful.

It shouldn't. :)
It's even worse when it's on a product itself.
https://www.theregister.com/2021/11/05/samsung_tv_ads/

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Solefald posted:

Lmao the gently caress is that reporting
"we don't know anything other than he was BROWN AND THEREFORE MUSLIMIST"

Well that's me told again, I'd have bet good money it was a white guy

Also there is a foolproof way to deal with the ads on YouTube, it's called paying for premium (yes it's me the weirdo that does that, it comes with my music subscription don't @ me)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Wouldn't worry excessively about those YouTube ads, our good friend Kessler will take care of them

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1460282814801321993

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Why do they talk like that? A debris-generating event sounds like a cousin of an officer-involved shooting.

Nothing can ever happen in the active voice.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Russians are going to crash into the east, and everybody is just sitting on their hands while Putin gathers strength! Merkel sold Europe out.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

TACD posted:

Wouldn't worry excessively about those YouTube ads, our good friend Kessler will take care of them

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1460282814801321993

It might actually be good if we kessler ourselves because then rich idiots like musk and bezos will be forced to spend money on making the planet liveable instead of trying to escape to mars.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

This sounds very appealing but I'd like to know more about people's experience of this. So far it's been a faff:

2) then i change my phone's settings to install .apk's from unknown sources because it didn't come from the play store
3) then i download something called microG which is apparently necessary but for what i don't know
5) and then - and this is where i get concerned - i have to hand over my google account credentials to sign in to youtube via vanced. How secure is this?

Sounds about right, although I haven't bothered to sign into Youtube via Vanced. I keep forgetting to go into the Vanced app and instead hit the Youtube icon automatically, and only remember when a godawful 'Watches of Switzerland' ad starts up.

I could cope when it was 1 x 6 second unskippable ad at the start, tolerated it when it became 2 x 6 seconds, but now they're 19 seconds and always for stuff I will never be interested in.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Ads are getting absolutely abysmal on YT now. The unskippable opening ads were bad enough, but now they've turned on interstitial ads by default and their algorithm for when to play them is loving terrible, so you get bumped out to an unskippable ad mid scene now.

drat, I'm almost glad the missus talked me into paying for Premium.

Edit:

Borrovan posted:

Also there is a foolproof way to deal with the ads on YouTube, it's called paying for premium (yes it's me the weirdo that does that, it comes with my music subscription don't @ me)

:hfive:

Biggus Dickus fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 15, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bacon Terrorist posted:

You think youtube ads are bad, Now TV has unskippable ads at the start of their films and you pay for that loving pleasure.

Have you considered theft?

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Solefald posted:

Got told earlier by someone there had been another explosion in Liverpool but just ignored them cos lol

Apparently there has been a controlled explosion ?????? Can't hear the news properly.

Controlled explosion in Sefton Park.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

i was thinking of tobias today, i am starting a new job soon - a nu start! :)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

Why do they talk like that? A debris-generating event sounds like a cousin of an officer-involved shooting.

Nothing can ever happen in the active voice.

Because they don't - or didn't - actually know what it was. Could be a collision between two satellites, a meteoroid striking a satellite, the ISS toilet malfunctioning, or, as it turned out to be, a deliberate act. All they know is there's suddenly a big cloud of debris that wasn't there on the last orbit, so they know *something* has happened to generate that cloud of debris.

If it comes to it I'll even defend the passive-voice "officer-involved shooting" for the initial report, because all you can say in the immediate aftermath is there was a copper there and someone got taken to the hospital/morgue. Could have been a Heat-style shootout, could have been that DEA agent shooting himself in the leg in a classroom. Of course there's no excuse for *continuing* that passive voice once more facts are known.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

also I'm sorry for posting so much in here about this whole terrorist incident. I don't usually pop my head up in here because i cba w/ the bad vibes and arguing but given that this is something so close to home I can't help but get a bit involved in wanting to know everything I can and sharing everything I know.

I know that no innocent people were seriously hurt in this incident but it's still pretty scary and I just wanna say pls stay safe and vigilant my goony friends.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/respectisvital/status/1460296850758684672?s=21

Clarified in later there’s that this is a former minister but yikes. Looking forward to Labour studiously ignoring this

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

awww yesss the cosmic scousers are on the case
gonna x-post with IOSM

https://twitter.com/iammrazul/status/1460266772276428802

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I don't know, that's why I installed what purported to be Vanced on Play in the first place. I can't use unapproved third party apks on my phone if I want to be able to access my work tools, so only stuff from the Play store for me.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

lmao

https://twitter.com/JonAshworth/status/1460285317764816901

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

"there was a rake labelled Decorum, so of course I stepped on it"

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
What would people's views be on a not-terrible autism charity?

The company I work for (small home improvement company) runs an annual charity campaign. Last year was breast cancer awareness, and this year's is a hospice company. Next year is probably going to be an autism charity, as my boss has a relative with nonverbal autism, and a son who almost definitely has undiagnosed aspergers syndrome. We usually end up raising around £5000 per year, and as a spectrum-haver myself, I'd like to see the money go somewhere where it will do some good.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I am a techno dunce, I could not get vanced to work for me. Pure tube doesn't block all the ads but it's better than nothing

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Thoughts and prayers minus thought.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Solefald posted:

also I'm sorry for posting so much in here about this whole terrorist incident. I don't usually pop my head up in here because i cba w/ the bad vibes and arguing but given that this is something so close to home I can't help but get a bit involved in wanting to know everything I can and sharing everything I know.

I know that no innocent people were seriously hurt in this incident but it's still pretty scary and I just wanna say pls stay safe and vigilant my goony friends.

Never apologise for :justpost:ing, but especially about an event that is both nationally important and personally impactful to yourself. Fucks sake I started theorycrafting in here about what turned out to be temporary bogs being installed for some work being done on my estate, this is actual news you're talking about.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I assume that the entire shad cab is on a hair trigger to get the thoughts and prayers out ASAP because that's Proper Grown Up Politics, making sure you get the right magic words said as soon as possible.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I assume that the entire shad cab is on a hair trigger to get the thoughts and prayers out ASAP because that's Proper Grown Up Politics, making sure you get the right magic words said as soon as possible.

"I'm sorry that happened." is the only line that Labour ministers are allowed to say in interviews, anything else gets them into some sort of trouble.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Don't they know there's a machine for that now? No need to get it wrong trying to do them yourself. 20p per thought/prayer

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

The famous final scene where it cuts to Go Compare.
:nws: for unexpected suicide but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEDjAFi7oJ4

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Endjinneer posted:

Don't they know there's a machine for that now? No need to get it wrong trying to do them yourself. 20p per thought/prayer

Once again capitalism has taken a thing that already exists and made it worse. The water powered prayer wheel already exists.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
One, holy, capitalistic and automatic Church.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

After an unfortunate autocorrect error, we have instituted fully automated luxury catholicism.