Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Also to add there have been lefty pro2a groups, including even one that had some goons, that in the past have been around that VA thing but they weren’t there to support the VCDL stuff that was going on. I don’t think any have been back either since it’s basically become even more explicitly far-right.

You may hear about a self described “BLM” group in the area at the stuff too but they’re sketchy as gently caress hotep types, that have nothing to do with any BLM groups.

God I love that weird rear end term. It lead to me asking a group of African-American co-workers what it meant, as they had just used it. I explained registered as like Boris Karloff, Christopher Lee, or Arnold Vosolo, because of the mummy, but clearly that wasn't it. We all had a good laugh and they explained it to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Wow just caught up on the last few pages and all I can say is 100% agree everyone who ever posted on this forum should be permabanned

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

ASAPI posted:

I have a bad feeling Kenosha is going to suck for a good while after this verdict.

it's suburban Wisconsin, it sucked before this too

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

it's suburban Wisconsin, it sucked before this too

This is a very good point.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I don’t think even Jack Murphy is even being all that ironic here, he’s done almost like a Tulsi Gabbard left to right but in reverse

I mean as a Green Beret he absolutely knows how absolutely stupid most SEALs are. They're literally just well trained assaulters that went through an insane physical selection process. Whereas most Green Berets (most) are actually somewhat intelligent and aren't braggarts and loudmouth war crime committing assholes. Most.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bored As gently caress posted:

I mean as a Green Beret he absolutely knows how absolutely stupid most SEALs are. They're literally just well trained assaulters that went through an insane physical selection process. Whereas most Green Berets (most) are actually somewhat intelligent and aren't braggarts and loudmouth war crime committing assholes. Most.

I think one thing (and I know this isn't the case here) is when people hear Green Berets they think of John Rambo and then seal stuff. I remember a former one spoke at my high school (he was still in, but higher up now) for an international affairs club I was in and the discussion was about all the support and training stuff they do. Which makes sense and is good, but not any of the SF Delta or Seal stuff I would have thought.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My favorite thing to do around guys from Regiment is ask them about SEALs. It's always amusing. My favorite was "oh, you mean bootleg Navy Rangers?"

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I think one thing (and I know this isn't the case here) is when people hear Green Berets they think of John Rambo and then seal stuff. I remember a former one spoke at my high school (he was still in, but higher up now) for an international affairs club I was in and the discussion was about all the support and training stuff they do. Which makes sense and is good, but not any of the SF Delta or Seal stuff I would have thought.

Do they still have to become fluent in another language? Or was that ever a requirement?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Lots of Green Berets go to language school after they finish the Q course and before they get to a team.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/NYTLiz/status/1460278692672851971?s=20

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Do they still have to become fluent in another language? Or was that ever a requirement?

I'm not sure, but I could see it being an absolute plus 1 in terms of promotion or assignments.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Also to add there have been lefty pro2a groups, including even one that had some goons, that in the past have been around that VA thing but they weren’t there to support the VCDL stuff that was going on.

The first (and last) "National Gun Show" I ever went to, the group I was with got corralled by a VCDL recruiter and I thought we were going to have to gnaw a limb off to get him to stop trying to get us to sign up right on the spot.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

by default? Did he not even show up?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
drat you gently caress 150 women by age 16 you make a lot of beta enemies. having big bowl of chili in solidarity with my boy

if only he had run for congress after going after school shooting victims and families

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

maffew buildings posted:

drat you gently caress 150 women by age 16 you make a lot of beta enemies. having big bowl of chili in solidarity with my boy

if only he had run for congress after going after school shooting victims and families

lol what.

Is that what he claims? That might be more far fetched than the sandy hook poo poo lol

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Phanatic posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that, as a prosecutor, you should never pick up the defendant's rifle during your closing arguments and point it at the jury with your finger on the trigger, even if a police officer has told you it's unloaded.

Edit: Even worse, apparently he did pull the trigger.

:psyduck:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I think it’s deeply disturbing and alarming that the governments of the world are waging a campaign to ruin the life of a journalist for embarrassing them and threatening them with life in ADX Florence for embarrassing them by doing things like exposing war crimes we did in Iraq.

Nah, gently caress Assange. He's a rapist who ran from his charges and made it all about him, and then openly sold himself out to the Trump campaign and Putin, going as far as to shield Putin from leaks.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CommieGIR posted:

Nah, gently caress Assange. He's a rapist who ran from his charges and made it all about him, and then openly sold himself out to the Trump campaign and Putin, going as far as to shield Putin from leaks.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

CommieGIR posted:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1460334367755096070?s=20

This is near the end of an amazing thread that everyone should click on and read

e: lol

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1460333783073316869?s=20

That Works fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 15, 2021

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Assange is a rapist but they're putting him in jail for doing journalism, not rape. Every national security reporter has also relied on classified sources (foreign, domestic or both) for their reporting, which often undermines the policies of foreign governments. I don't think if Putin arrested a NY Times reporter for divulging classified Russian information people would be cheering. The precedent of arresting assange opens up all sorts of domestic reporters to arrest, both here (very likely we'll have a new R admin in three years) and abroad.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Starting to think we might have a slight prison problem

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gee, I wonder what the one thing is that Tarrio thinks makes his situation different, and why he shouldn't be there.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I’ve been living here for the last few years- VCDL is fascist as gently caress and anyone who works with them should be regarded as either foolish or untrustworthy.

I agree, but "enemy of my enemy" can attract people. So you'll see folks cross that line to join up with VCDL or fund them if they like guns enough.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Best Friends posted:

I don't think if Putin arrested a NY Times reporter for divulging classified Russian information people would be cheering

Where the hell have you been living for the last five years?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Okay I don't think people here would be cheering. But if it comes down to "reporters I don't like should get arrested for their reporting" then that's saying a free press shouldn't exist. Which is prob the consensus national take currently, sure (just not when put like that)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

maffew buildings posted:

Dammit now I want chili

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Baconroll posted:

So the attack in the UK yesterday has been declared a terrorist attack. Theres new video released of the suicide bomber detonating his device still inside a taxi and it kinda looks like a partial detonation,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68DKKEKeRzk

Luckily the taxi driver survived, and it seems he diverted the taxi away from a Rememberance Day ceremony when he realised something was off with the passenger.

Too bad it wasn't a VW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUtE3QlTpKI&t=13s

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Assange isn't a reporter, he's basically a GRU mouthpiece / asset. If he had any journalistic integrity, he'd criticize Putin and leak poo poo about Russia, too. But he's about as impartial and has about as much journalistic integrity as Glen Greenwald.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CainFortea posted:

Gee, I wonder what the one thing is that Tarrio thinks makes his situation different, and why he shouldn't be there.

I've wondered what would happen if in criminal trials jurors were given zero details about the defendant's race, name, wealth, etc, and defense attorneys were drawn from a communal pool with no private option, and they couldn't strike jurors.

Would be fascinating to see what happened to prisons after the first few rich frat guys can't buy their way out of DUIs. I have similar thoughts on forcing billionaire kids to go to public schools and if they want lower class sizes or teacher quality they are free to donate to the state's education budget and raise all boats.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If a rich guy sees the inside of a trial it's because he's already pissed off the DA on a personal level.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Wealthy people can afford a good defense team. Rich people never even go to trial.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Bored As gently caress posted:

Assange isn't a reporter, he's basically a GRU mouthpiece / asset. If he had any journalistic integrity, he'd criticize Putin and leak poo poo about Russia, too. But he's about as impartial and has about as much journalistic integrity as Glen Greenwald.

"Digs dirt on some but not others" describes the output of almost every reporter. The things he's being charged with could be applied to almost any reporter who interacts with information the government wants to be secret.

More broadly, from Obama on there's been a crackdown on the idea of press freedom and leakers within liberal administrations. Just in time to build these rails for Trump, Trump 2 and Trump 3 and so on. Trump himself is too lazy and stupid to realize he can press the "imprison inconvenient national security reporters" button but the next few trumps might not be.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 15, 2021

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

maffew buildings posted:

Wow just caught up on the last few pages and all I can say is 100% agree everyone who ever posted on this forum should be permabanned

I want to see GiP from like 10 years ago fight current GiP for the soul of the forum. Like Barnes vs Elias for the soul of Charlie Sheen.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Wrong Theory posted:

I want to see GiP from like 10 years ago fight current GiP for the soul of the forum. Like Barnes vs Elias for the soul of Charlie Sheen.

https://youtu.be/izQsgE0L450

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Best Friends posted:

Assange is a rapist but they're putting him in jail for doing journalism, not rape. Every national security reporter has also relied on classified sources (foreign, domestic or both) for their reporting, which often undermines the policies of foreign governments. I don't think if Putin arrested a NY Times reporter for divulging classified Russian information people would be cheering. The precedent of arresting assange opens up all sorts of domestic reporters to arrest, both here (very likely we'll have a new R admin in three years) and abroad.

Assange turned Wikileaks into his personal vendetta tool. Anything he did is being better done by other people. And given that Assange has now weaponized Wikileaks, he can get hosed.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

Assange turned Wikileaks into his personal vendetta tool. Anything he did is being better done by other people. And given that Assange has now weaponized Wikileaks, he can get hosed.

:same:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Best Friends posted:

Assange is a rapist but they're putting him in jail for doing journalism, not rape.

Well, the Swedish government tried to extradite him for molestation and sexual assault and were succeeding until he claimed asylum in an embassy. He managed to outlast the statute of limitations, right?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Dum Cumpster posted:

Starting to think we might have a slight prison problem

OK, so while we've established gently caress Tarrio and All Other Proud Boys, the DC Jail (where he's serving his five-month sentence) *is* terrible. Via the NYT:

quote:

hat set off this latest round of protest was an episode involving Christopher Worrell, a member of the far-right group the Proud Boys, who has been at the jail since his arrest this spring. Mr. Worrell, who has cancer, broke one of his pinkies while in custody (though initial reports said it was his wrist). After several failed attempts to get him treatment for the finger, his lawyer asked a federal judge for help.

The judge, Royce C. Lamberth, tried to get officials at the jail to accelerate the process of providing medical records to Mr. Worrell’s lawyer and after a number of delays, he angrily held the officials in contempt. As part of his contempt decision, Judge Lamberth recommended that the Justice Department investigate conditions at the jail to determine whether the civil rights of any other Jan. 6 defendants had been violated.

Within days, the U.S. Marshals Service, which oversees federal detainees, opened an inquiry into the jail and soon determined, among other things, that there were sewage and water leaks inside and that corrections officers often antagonized their charges, sometimes withholding food and water for “punitive reasons.”

The most serious problems, the marshals found, were in an older part of the jail complex called the Central Detention Facility, not in the Correctional Treatment Facility, where all of the Jan. 6 defendants are held.

Note that last bit: while it's bad where the insurrectionists are being held, it's WORSE in the areas where the predominantly Black people incarcerated while awaiting trial or serving out their sentences. As with everything in DC's loving awful city government, top officials from the Mayor on down are acting shocked and horrified and pointing fingers everywhere but themselves. Also, this is nothing new- allegations of horrible conditions have been claimed and substantiated for a long goddamn time.

It's a travesty that it took a bunch of coddled White treason aficionados complaining in order to get any kind of action on this, but as we've discussed repeatedly, neglect and abuse should not be a part of anyone's pre-trial confinement or actual sentence regardless of their crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://old.reddit.com/r/libertarianmeme/comments/qufr02/if_this_guy_hadnt_crossed_state_lines_carrying_an/

lol reddit is a cesspool

Front page