Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I always remember being confused by the bit in Monkey Island where it pretends you died and pops up a 'reload, restore or quit' screen. Until I realised later it was a jab at Sierra games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
normal brain: you can't die in monkey island

true gamer brain: you can die in monkey island by staying underwater for ten real time minutes

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
First adventure game was Broken Sword. Twenty years later, it's still my favorite.
Also, I remain convinced than Dan Brown played it and stole wholeheartedly when writing Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code. Except that Broken Sword was both more charming and smart with the concept.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Sakurazuka posted:

I always remember being confused by the bit in Monkey Island where it pretends you died and pops up a 'reload, restore or quit' screen. Until I realised later it was a jab at Sierra games.

That one and the joke where you look down the tree stump in the forest and it asks you to insert disk 38 or something legitimately got me as a kid. I was so used to Sierra games that I was convinced that I had hosed something up and couldn't win the game now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol yeah, that one got me because I originally played the Amiga port which you couldn't install by default so you actually had to constantly swap the 15 disks it came on.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Speaking of adventure games, I have one I'd like to track down that I vaguely remember playing on my old school computers in the mids 90s. It had an ancient egypt theme I think? You were definately exploring some sort of pyramid. The first puzzle was feeding a hamburger to a vulture so it didn't kill you.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Secrets of the Pyramids: https://www.mobygames.com/game/win3x/secrets-of-the-pyramids/screenshots/gameShotId,409000/

Br3instyrm
Jan 3, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Lol yeah, that one got me because I originally played the Amiga port which you couldn't install by default so you actually had to constantly swap the 15 disks it came on.

I think that the original Amiga port came on 4 disks and was installable. We had it on our Amiga 2000, taking a big chunk out of its 20-megabyte hd.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dunno what Amiga my friend had, prrrobably a 500 Plus in 1991-ish but it was definitely before he bought the 1MB HD! Might have been MI2 on 15 disks though.

Br3instyrm
Jan 3, 2013
Most likely. The floppy swapping was silly even in Monkey Island 1 and having an actual hard drive made everything feel zippy back then.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

That's definately it, thanks!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

that game is permanently seared into my memory because the demo on club kidsoft cd(s) featured a gruesome sierra death to bats complete with pixelated blood. also the "Movie" part in the demo really abruptly ended with a still image of the pharaoh in mortal fear as he dies.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

CYBEReris posted:

that game is permanently seared into my memory because the demo on club kidsoft cd(s) featured a gruesome sierra death to bats complete with pixelated blood. also the "Movie" part in the demo really abruptly ended with a still image of the pharaoh in mortal fear as he dies.

hello fellow Club Kidsoft rememberer

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

CYBEReris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3f_9zWrS_4

Bat-ter luck next time, Harold!

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.

The Chad Jihad posted:

Trying again: Ancient 3D flying thing with big blocky polygons, like starfox or LHX attack helicopter. The player flew a wedge-shaped ship around and shot at other wedge--shaped ships. There were pyramid-looking bases on the map, and if an enemy ship hovered above the pyramid for a bit it would capture it and you would lose if enough of them got captured. Not terminal velocity

Thunderstrike?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwdH7e8o8kw

I was struggling to remember the name of this game myself a few months ago. Played it a lot back on my old 286 when having 256 whole colours in VGA was absolutely amazing.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
So I know this isn't technically on topic, but I figure that people posting here would probably be best equipped to help me out with this. I'm looking for games with "variable" equipment slots. Basically any game with an equipment system that can change over the course of a playthrough such due to gaining losing appendages or permanent transformation. Anything from Spore to Elona+ is useful. Bonus points if you didn't feel frustrated dealing with game's UI. Trying to get a list of games together I can use as reference.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

SweetBro posted:

So I know this isn't technically on topic, but I figure that people posting here would probably be best equipped to help me out with this. I'm looking for games with "variable" equipment slots. Basically any game with an equipment system that can change over the course of a playthrough such due to gaining losing appendages or permanent transformation. Anything from Spore to Elona+ is useful. Bonus points if you didn't feel frustrated dealing with game's UI. Trying to get a list of games together I can use as reference.

CDDA and DCSS are both cult roguelike games that do exactly this - the player can mutate in different ways that change what armor and weapons can be used

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

SweetBro posted:

Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld, Caves of Qud, IVAN too probably? A lot of roguelikes that would fit the bill. Space Station 13. I wouldn't say any of those have good interfaces, though.

My Q: what was that indie RPG series on Steam that's vaguely in the vein of SMT but the entire point of it is to find synergies between the myriad of different mechanics to break the game in half over your knee (because if you don't, the enemies will do the same to you)?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MonkeyforaHead posted:

My Q: what was that indie RPG series on Steam that's vaguely in the vein of SMT but the entire point of it is to find synergies between the myriad of different mechanics to break the game in half over your knee (because if you don't, the enemies will do the same to you)?

Siralim? It owns.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Jack Trades posted:

Siralim? It owns.

I have a real problem with that series and it's that the logo sometimes reminds me of the logo for Sirlin Games

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

signalnoise posted:

I have a real problem with that series and it's that the logo sometimes reminds me of the logo for Sirlin Games

I can sympathize.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Jack Trades posted:

Siralim? It owns.

That's the one, thanks. Not really my thing but I have a friend who's a huge nut for JRPGs who I somehow haven't recommended it to yet.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I used to play an old hacking RPG and can't remember the name of it. It had a very Windows 3.1 interface to it and every hacking job had your avatar entering a random computer dungeon using programs like spells. The dungeon part felt a lot like Castle of the Winds.

What am I thinking of?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Manager Hoyden posted:

I used to play an old hacking RPG and can't remember the name of it. It had a very Windows 3.1 interface to it and every hacking job had your avatar entering a random computer dungeon using programs like spells. The dungeon part felt a lot like Castle of the Winds.

What am I thinking of?

I was going to say Uplink but that has nothing to do with CotW

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

stinky ox posted:

Thunderstrike?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwdH7e8o8kw

I was struggling to remember the name of this game myself a few months ago. Played it a lot back on my old 286 when having 256 whole colours in VGA was absolutely amazing.

Yeaaaah, this is it! Thank you that was driving me nuts off and on over the years

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

What am I thinking of?

Is it Decker?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Manager Hoyden posted:

What am I thinking of?

I have no idea what Castle of the Winds is, but did it look like this?

If so, that would be Decker.

(Here's a web version to play in your browser)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HenryEx posted:

I have no idea what Castle of the Winds is, but did it look like this?

If so, that would be Decker.

(Here's a web version to play in your browser)

poo poo, I remember trying to play it as a kid and being very confused.
Maybe I should give it another shot.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

What am I thinking of?

Maybe it’s Decker? There’s a free web version if you go to the bottom of that page.

Edit: derp

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hey I think you’re thinking of Decker. Hope I haven’t been beaten yet

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Thanks everyone for the guesses

Turns out it was a game called Decker

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Decker? I hardly knew 'er!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

SweetBro posted:

doesn't nuclear throne do this as well? i never got very far in that game but i'm pretty sure you got some mutations after every boss.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Yeah but they don't change what equipment you can use.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

oh i see. i didn't understand the request

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Play Nuclear Throne anyway because it loving owns.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

SweetBro posted:

Caves of Qud was mentioned earlier, but I do want to draw specific attention to it. You can play as a mutant with the Extra Arms, Extra Legs, and Two-Headed mutations (or go in on antlers, stingers, horns, flaming hands, and others) that all affect what slots you have available for gear. You can acquire more mutations during play that cause you to randomly grow more limbs, get too close to a madpole and have it chew your face (and its associated face slot) off, kill the madpole, regenerate your face, then wear your dismembered face on top of your face. Also there's items like Helping Hands that give you two more hands at the cost of your back slot, you can be a cyborg that turns your legs into tank treads, etc. The SA thread for the game occasionally gets posts from people showing off their hilariously over-dense equipment lists due to all the extra extremities they have.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Yeah, Qud is the only one I can think of that actually meets the specific criterion of "extra equipment slots." You can mutate eight tentacles in CDDA but as far as I know you still just have the two hands available to hold stuff.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
LISA: The Painful features amputation, but I can't remember if it affects equipment or what attacks you can use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Uh relating to permanent transformation, there is Kenshi.