Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Boat Stuck posted:

Widespread use of plastics

Tons of chemicals in plastics are known endocrine mimics

c.f. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/20/opinion/sunday/endocrine-disruptors-sperm.html

japan is among the top 3 producers of plastics in the world, including the endocrine mimic stuff. least fat industrialized peeps

nauru doesn't produce any plastics and doesn't use any more plastics than their wealth implies. fattest peeps on earth

maybe the dose-response is hosed or something something genetics. but the mining and other resource extraction seems a crisp point-source effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if it was some huge complex of causes, it wouldn't have such a crisp beginning in the 70's, would it?

and there are gigantic differences between and within polities, 15% overweight in japan to 97% in nauru. if there aren't crisp causes and it's all a melange of muddled multifactorial things, why is it so crisply different? moreover, why's it so crisply different in manipulable ways, where japanese peeps who move to america regularly and reliably get fatter and americans peeps who move to japan regularly and reliably get thinner?

in japan I used to order the largest size gyudon available at yoshinoya, it was only 1000 calories. I basically never saw anyone else order the large.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Stink Billyums posted:

in japan I used to order the largest size gyudon available at yoshinoya, it was only 1000 calories. I basically never saw anyone else order the large.

the endocrine system determines your appetite. they have capitalism in japan too - if the japanese suddenly had american or saudi-sized appetites they would immediately go and make american or saudi-size portions available. it's a lagging indicator, not a determinant. they had sane-sized portions in 1950s america, too

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

have you considered that people are eating more calories than their bodies expend

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
didn't you just say 19th century americans were huge gluttons earlier in the thread

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

if it was some huge complex of causes, it wouldn't have such a crisp beginning in the 70's, would it?

and there are gigantic differences between and within polities, 15% overweight in japan to 97% in nauru. if there aren't crisp causes and it's all a melange of muddled multifactorial things, why is it so crisply different? moreover, why's it so crisply different in manipulable ways, where japanese peeps who move to america regularly and reliably get fatter and americans peeps who move to japan regularly and reliably get thinner?

Your latter point if anything seems to confirm it's a mishmash of environmental factors rather than a specific x/y/z is to blame thing, you have individuals that change the environment they're in a seem to "naturally" gain or lose weight in line with what matches to the general local population in their new environment. That could easily be explained by some combo of the food options and culture that encourages eating healthier/less calories and people moving around more in their day to day lives either through transportation differences or common local activities. Why it's not so "crisply" identifiable could readily be due to a mishmash of these things being hard to track. There very well could not be a "crisp" explanation ever and the best you'll ever see as wearable tech gets more and more advanced/common is that as obesity rates rise your average person is consuming more and moving less.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Stink Billyums posted:

didn't you just say 19th century americans were huge gluttons earlier in the thread

absolutely. and they weren't fat. you would have 270 lb peeps paraded around as circus sideshows

the ghrelin-leptin-incretin lipostat does its job well when it isn't being hosed up by pollutants. calories in minus calories out but the lipostat fucks with both calories in and out by like 1-5x depending upon endocrine set point

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 15, 2021

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

runnypoops posted:

Bring back fat shaming
UBI based on 1/BMI kills two birds: government sanctioned shaming as well as paying people to go to the gym

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Has anyone suggested placing treadmills in front of donuts hanging from strings???

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

japan implemented both of those in the late 00's (really fat shaming long before and the metabo law, which includes collective fat shaming, in 2008) and they're still getting fatter. they aren't very fat compared to anyone else industrialized of course, but they're still fat compared to indigenous peeps - and gettin fatter

Sadly metabo law is not a direct personal fine for being fat. Absolute top tier fat shaming though, someone give the Japanese government a sixer.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Xaintrailles posted:

Sadly metabo law is not a direct personal fine for being fat. Absolute top tier fat shaming though, someone give the Japanese government a sixer.

its corporation-level. hence, 'collective'

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Meme Poker Party posted:

Has anyone suggested placing treadmills in front of donuts hanging from strings???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nedFaAXm2BQ

china is still getting rapidly fatter, esp. the resource extraction regions

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nedFaAXm2BQ

china is still getting rapidly fatter, esp. the resource extraction regions

How fat are you? You sound like that maniac here who believes it is literally impossible for an individual to lose weight without surgical intervention.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Has anyone posted, "mandatory cooking and nutrition classes and mandatory gym memberships with required usage for all Americans" yet?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

frogge posted:

Has anyone posted, "mandatory cooking and nutrition classes and mandatory gym memberships with required usage for all Americans" yet?

I’m still pretty salty that food education in kindergarten+ was pure propaganda, and the “food pyramid” is bullshit.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Has anyone considered that maybe we're not getting heavier, maybe gravity is just getting stronger?

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

we could scare them so they run until they get skinny

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Perfect self-driving car technology so that American's can eat on the go and not waste precious calories driving to the drive-thru.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Flowers for QAnon posted:

How fat are you? You sound like that maniac here who believes it is literally impossible for an individual to lose weight without surgical intervention.

bmi 24, previously 29

you may or may not be able to individually lose weight with diet and exercise or whatever, but we have not one example of a population of peeps losing clinically relevant weight with diet and exercise and keeping it off. all we have for examples for clinically relevant-sized weight loss is cases of material societal collapse (syria, venezuela) and endocrine treatments

there are 2 billion peeps who got fat over the last 50 years. you cannot solve a problem of 2 billion peeps by individualized alienated behavioral stuff

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 15, 2021

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Probably through systematic and permanent lifestyle changes, op

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Was this thread made in response to the fat girl thread? That be pretty cool

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
and for the record, i dont believe in any of that health at any size bullcrap. we need to figure out how to get the incretin agonists made for like a dollar a shot and distribute em to 2 billion peeps a week and eventually figure out the exact pollutants and whack them

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anorexic models are banned but tess holliday gets to pretend shes anorexic while being 400 pounds. we could start there with her Health At Every Size lies

:buddy:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

and for the record, i dont believe in any of that health at any size bullcrap. we need to figure out how to get the incretin agonists made for like a dollar a shot and distribute em to 2 billion peeps a week and eventually figure out the exact pollutants and whack them

I'm technically obese and if peeps became the only food option, I would waste away into nothing and ultimately starve to death because peeps are loving disgusting

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm technically obese and if peeps became the only food option, I would waste away into nothing and ultimately starve to death because peeps are loving disgusting

let em get real stale first :q:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Don't let them eat cake.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Great to hear you aren’t as insane as your posting frequency/enthusiasm would indicate. What makes you so passionate about this topic?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Great to hear you aren’t as insane as your posting frequency/enthusiasm would indicate. What makes you so passionate about this topic?

i did leptin research back in high school along w/ catestatin poo poo. one day my old pi emailed me "gently caress! gently caress! it was glp1 after all!" w the stage 2 dealio for liraglutide

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

i did leptin research back in high school

What does this mean though?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Forty-one percent of children claimed that bacon came from a plant.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0272494421001584

:patriot:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

numberoneposter posted:

Forty-one percent of children claimed that bacon came from a plant.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0272494421001584

:patriot:

bacon comes from pork trees

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

What does this mean though?

it means i was a grad students lab mook for a year, then i was the pi's direct lab mook for a year, then he wrote me a great rec letter for undergrad. we also did an insignificant paper at a lovely journal

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

bananas. lots of bananas. 70 bananas a day.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
potassium plug

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
So the American Dream is so comfortable that everyone is getting fat and lazy?

Oh no someone sound the alarm. Life is so awesome that it's becoming a loving CRISIS

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Well, I don't have a WHOLE plan yet, but I'll tell you what the first step would be...

1) PUT DOWN THE FORK!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Vietnamwees posted:

Well, I don't have a WHOLE plan yet, but I'll tell you what the first step would be...

1) PUT DOWN THE FORK!

Don't need a fork for chikky tendies and fries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper Raccoon
Jun 12, 2018

Started from the bottom, now we here
'70-'71 timeline was the loss of community, the destruction is snowball-shaped.