Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
My audio glitches are definitely gone after disabling fTPM.

I mean what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've run both LEAP (point release) and Tumbleweed (rolling release), and while both work great for me the odds of a mismatch in kernel and Nvidia drivers seemed a little more likely to happen on Tumbleweed than LEAP. It never meant more than a couple days lag time in my experience, and I could just boot the previous kernel and be fine, but it was a minor annoyance.

I guess that's an important thing to add, fixed release distributions are more stable. OpenSuse Leap in general is pretty good, really like it.

Combat Pretzel posted:

This is pretty fascinating, what a weird issue.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly a native implementation of DirectX away from switching to Linux, which is probably a reason why that won't happen.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's possible that enabling it turns on either the Virtualization based security or some other device security features.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

redeyes posted:

I have an nvidia gfx.. I read maybe Mint or Manjaro might be best for this but I don't know for sure.

Pop_os! has an installer with Nvidia drivers included if you're concerned about that. It's not KDE out of the box but can be switched to it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I also had some audio glitches playing music in Windows 11, it's one of the reasons I went back to 10.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
I have a Windows 10 laptop and a dumb question, and I'm asking it in this threat because it wants me to upgrade to 11 and who knows if that will make a difference to the answer.

Back in the day if I wanted to prevent anyone from getting into my stuff if my laptop got stolen, I could just install TrueCrypt or its successor VeraCrypt, encrypt the hard drive, and it was nicely impossible to get into without the password. Today, my new laptop has a fingerprint reader, and a TPM, and Bitlocker, and an encryption key that seems to be backed up online by Microsoft, and there's also some Microsoft login involving a PIN, and the possibility to reset forgotten PINs online, and who knows what beyond that. I don't even know what I don't know.

I just want a system that can encrypt the drive such that the laptop is a brick unless they have the password. This used to not be hard. How do I do that?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain von Trapp posted:

I have a Windows 10 laptop and a dumb question, and I'm asking it in this threat because it wants me to upgrade to 11 and who knows if that will make a difference to the answer.

Back in the day if I wanted to prevent anyone from getting into my stuff if my laptop got stolen, I could just install TrueCrypt or its successor VeraCrypt, encrypt the hard drive, and it was nicely impossible to get into without the password. Today, my new laptop has a fingerprint reader, and a TPM, and Bitlocker, and an encryption key that seems to be backed up online by Microsoft, and there's also some Microsoft login involving a PIN, and the possibility to reset forgotten PINs online, and who knows what beyond that. I don't even know what I don't know.

I just want a system that can encrypt the drive such that the laptop is a brick unless they have the password. This used to not be hard. How do I do that?

Enable BitLocker, save the recovery key to a USB drive instead of online (and keep it somewhere offline as well, like a printout). If you just want unlock through a password, remove other methods of verification from your Windows account.

If you want to enter a password at boot, that can be enabled through the Group Policy editor.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Use Veracrypt or https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/39888-delete-bitlocker-recovery-key-onedrive-microsoft-account.html

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Use that McAfee disk encryption software so it's 50/50 whether you're able to get at your own data, that must mean it's less likely that someone stealing your laptop can get in, right?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

Enable BitLocker, save the recovery key to a USB drive instead of online (and keep it somewhere offline as well, like a printout). If you just want unlock through a password, remove other methods of verification from your Windows account.

If you want to enter a password at boot, that can be enabled through the Group Policy editor.

Can Microsoft (or more accurately, some goober who compromises my Microsoft account) reset these passwords and PINs? The login screen does provide a procedure for doing so, which seems to defeat most of the purpose.

Veracrypt specifically refuses to encrypt a system drive that uses Bitlocker, which the laptop came enabled with by default. I hate having to rely on Microsoft promising that of course they deleted their copy of my key, pinky swear. Sure, I'm not exactly a target of nation-state hackers, but as a matter of principle a key that has been unencrypted in the hands of a third party is one I'm not thrilled to use - even assuming that the login is actually the thing that does the decryption. I'm not sure how Windows, Bitlocker, the TPM, and my login actually work as a system. I'd love to read an overview by someone cryptographically competent.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Can Microsoft (or more accurately, some goober who compromises my Microsoft account) reset these passwords and PINs? The login screen does provide a procedure for doing so, which seems to defeat most of the purpose.

If you use a local account: Absolutely not. With a Microsoft account: Maybe? Not sure. You can always switch Bitlocker to pre-boot authentication or disable bitlocker and switch to third-party tools like Veracrypt (although there's no reason to use anything but Bitlocker)

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I guess I have to figure out how to use a local account then. It's not made obvious in the easily accessible settings, and googling shows some control panel settings that seem not to exist in the cheapo Windows 10 Home edition I have. :argh:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, you have Home? In that case, switching off Bitlocker and installing Veracrypt is probably the best choice. I assumed you were on Pro.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not saying this isn't a good thread to discuss the topic, but if you're interested, there's an InfoSec thread that likely has more security minded folks - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750534

If you want to use Veracrypt, you can disable Bitlocker and use Veracrypt.

Bitlocker as it is out of the box isn't super secure. If you can get local admin, you can get that data. Microsoft covers some attack vectors and makes mitigation suggestions here - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/information-protection/bitlocker/bitlocker-countermeasures#attack-countermeasures

That being said, for the vast majority of cases, enabling Bitlocker and leaving it at the default is a huge improvement over the previous situation, which was no encryption at all. If you password protect your BIOS/UEFI, set up pre-boot authentication with TPM for PIN, and follow the guidance at the link above for power management adjustments, you'll be in pretty decent shape.

Some of the attack vectors you are worried about are not problems that Bitlocker was meant to solve. IMO, etc., etc.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Thanks all, I will do some reading in the other thread.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

MikusR posted:

It's possible that enabling it turns on either the Virtualization based security or some other device security features.
VBS without HVCI has been enabled in Windows 10 already. Didn't affect it then.

The bigger issue will be getting Microsoft's attention about this. Chances are that it's some bullshit about the fTPM driver and the audio driver running on the same core and interfering. On other systems it might be the graphics driver instead. Probably not impossible, because I've read about complaints about stuttery graphics on Windows 11.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
You could also disable + re-enable it and simply choose not to backup your recovery key to OneDrive, even if you're using a MS account to login.

Like, sure Microsoft could just silently steal your keys despite not saying they're backing them up, but if you're at that level of distrust you need to be using something fully open source, because what's preventing MSFT from scraping your credit cards or SSNs or anything else at that point?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Windows Media Player is getting a refresh, thank gently caress

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/11/16/new-media-player-for-windows-11-begins-rolling-out-to-windows-insiders/

Y'know, they also shoulda redeemed MSN Messenger (I wonder what if they'd succeeded in buying discord?). I've been saying for years they missed the boat by not making a mobile app out of that. Think how many people used BB just for BBM. With the right features it might have extended the life of Windows phone a bit, or at least made some cash as an Android app.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But will my Windows ME skins still work?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For people on Windows 10, 21H2 is available now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I still need to monitor ( :haw: ) it some more, but I think my displays stopped doing this stupid mode change flicker (sometimes up to 8-9 times) when coming out of sleep, since disabling the fTPM. At this point, since it's essentially a firmware implementation, that it's probably just buggy. Lets see if I can put a discrete module on this mainboard, because I sure as hell don't expect any more BIOS updates.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
anybody else having the "app is open" bar on taskbar icons disappear randomly on the newest version of StartAllBack?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

site posted:

anybody else having the "app is open" bar on taskbar icons disappear randomly on the newest version of StartAllBack?

At least one other person is, unless that person is also you: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183013-startallback-for-windows-11/page/19/?tab=comments#comment-1207814

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That is not me, but slightly glad it's not my computer that is the problem

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

site posted:

App indicators have been a small nagging issue on StartIsBack (and therefore likely StartAllBack too) for at least as long as I can think of - when I was using it on Win10, it would frequently show the little glowing "app open" indicator under several programs at once, even if all of them were minimized. It must be some sort of weird Windows thing

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I switch audio devices a lot between headset, speakers and VR stuff. Is there a decent hotkey based input switcher for this yet in Windows 11? I've been using the Windows Game bar thing (Win+G) to do it which is fine but I would like to just hotkey it between a few choices.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

The Gunslinger posted:

I switch audio devices a lot between headset, speakers and VR stuff. Is there a decent hotkey based input switcher for this yet in Windows 11? I've been using the Windows Game bar thing (Win+G) to do it which is fine but I would like to just hotkey it between a few choices.

I wrote an autohotkey script to toggle between my headset (two devices) and my speakers (single device) when i do win+Q. I didn't know Game Bar has that option, but I disabled that for FPS in games.

https://pastebin.com/Evx0yrN0

It leverages VA.ahk:

https://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/21984-vista-audio-control-functions/

It is not quite what you want but I am sure you can expand on it. I needed to do this so I can set the headset as 'default' and 'default communication' so the mixer works right.

Nullset
Apr 21, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm using SoundSwitch for that in W11. You can set hotkeys to swap to specific output/input devices or just cycle through the list.

https://github.com/Belphemur/SoundSwitch

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I have tried using StartAllBack for the last few weeks. I am switching back to Explorer Patcher. It solves more of my issues than StartAllBack does because it literally is the Windows 10 taskbar. The newer version use an installer, so you don't have to manually copy anything.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I know its not as easy as a hotkey but you do know if you bring up the volume slider from the tray that theres an arrow to select between sources right?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I updated my video drivers and none of my windows rearranged themselves, 10/10.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Hi everyone, sorry for not reading through a ton of posts, but should I wait to do my free upgrade to Windows 11 until it is less buggy, or should I be totally fine getting it now? Coming from Windows 10 obviously.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

fawning deference posted:

Hi everyone, sorry for not reading through a ton of posts, but should I wait to do my free upgrade to Windows 11 until it is less buggy, or should I be totally fine getting it now? Coming from Windows 10 obviously.

i asked exactly this here, click it and see people responding and make your choice.

CoolCab posted:

this question legit is not intended as a troll (even though it might read that way, apologies):

what is the killer feature that motivated you to move to windows 11. what is the particular unique functionality that might incentivize me to upgrade and stomach the UI changes? what is the thing that you can only do on 11 but cannot on 10 and very specifically, right now, not a future announced functionality.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Either wait a year for the next feature update when it's less half-assed and buggy (one annoying thing that happens pretty often is the sound output switcher not expanding to full height, for example) or update now. Note that even with virtualization-based security disabled, Windows 11 is a tiny bit slower than 10.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

The Gunslinger posted:

I got SoundSwitch through (I think?) MS’s store, but if I didn’t I do know it was free. I switch between earphones w/microphone (3.5mm) to twenty year old speakers (single 3.5mm jack in front) by R Ctrl + NumPad0 and back. Took about twelve seconds to set up after finally configuring them correctly in Win10, but it’s very small and has never been faulty for at least since Win7.

Edit:
SS was free for Win10 update, I might have “donated” in 7.

Edit2:
Not sure if same “SoundSwitch” as other poster while on phone away from home.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 18, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

barnold posted:

App indicators have been a small nagging issue on StartIsBack (and therefore likely StartAllBack too) for at least as long as I can think of - when I was using it on Win10, it would frequently show the little glowing "app open" indicator under several programs at once, even if all of them were minimized. It must be some sort of weird Windows thing

went to report it on the previously linked forum but the registration failed to send a confirmation to two different emails I gave it, so hopefully the dev pays attention to the one poster

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

DerekSmartymans posted:

I got SoundSwitch through (I think?) MS’s store, but if I didn’t I do know it was free. I switch between earphones w/microphone (3.5mm) to twenty year old speakers (single 3.5mm jack in front) by R Ctrl + NumPad0 and back. Took about twelve seconds to set up after finally configuring them correctly in Win10, but it’s very small and has never been faulty for at least since Win7.

Edit:
SS was free for Win10 update, I might have “donated” in 7.

Edit2:
Not sure if same “SoundSwitch” as other poster while on phone away from home.

Nthing Soundswitch, it's loving great. I got it for free but donated to the guy because it's radical.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

I've personally decided to wait a year.
It sounds like there are enough minor irritations to irritate me enough that i would regret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

OgNar posted:

I've personally decided to wait a year.
It sounds like there are enough minor irritations to irritate me enough that i would regret it.

I waited a year with 10, and 10 started in a way better place than 11.