Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

gwrtheyrn posted:

I in fact cannot use the tee that came with it, as the threads on the toilet hose on the wall side are also 3/8 instead of the standard 7/8 or whatever (see the reddit thread I linked for someone who had the exact same discovery). The plan right now is still to buy a 3/8 T, it's just whether there's some reason it shouldn't thread directly to where the hose goes now--I assume the instructions are trying to avoid people loving up their plumbing, but I'm not a plumber so I don't know for sure. Having it just dangling also seems dumb too and do they even sell really short hoses?

I had this issue years ago and just got https://www.brondell.com/swash-t-valves/ and it worked fine. My guess is the only reason they prefer it on the tank is that it's going to be a shorter (and cleaner-looking) run for the bidet, and they'd rather you deal with your case than having to include longer/multiple flex hoses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

My power has flickered out briefly a handful of times (4-5 times now) since moving into this house 7 months ago. I’ve not experienced it much since before buying my house, aside from when you would expect it, such as during storms or high wind. The power cuts out long enough to reset all of the clocks but comes right back on. It seems to have no connection to how much power we are using, it just happened while I was reading a book in the kitchen and we didn’t have much of anything on that is drawing power.

This is an older area of town, and there are lots of trees. I just don’t know where to start, or if this is even an issue, since it happens infrequently enough, though more often than I’ve experienced elsewhere. It’s a clear blue sky type of day with no winds. Perhaps I am just anxious with being a newer home owner and am waiting for the house to explode into pieces while I’m sleeping

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

gay_crimes posted:

I just don’t know where to start

By talking to your neighbors to see if they are losing power at the same time or not.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

gay_crimes posted:

My power has flickered out briefly a handful of times (4-5 times now) since moving into this house 7 months ago. I’ve not experienced it much since before buying my house, aside from when you would expect it, such as during storms or high wind. The power cuts out long enough to reset all of the clocks but comes right back on. It seems to have no connection to how much power we are using, it just happened while I was reading a book in the kitchen and we didn’t have much of anything on that is drawing power.

This is an older area of town, and there are lots of trees. I just don’t know where to start, or if this is even an issue, since it happens infrequently enough, though more often than I’ve experienced elsewhere. It’s a clear blue sky type of day with no winds. Perhaps I am just anxious with being a newer home owner and am waiting for the house to explode into pieces while I’m sleeping

Call your power company, they'll probably send someone out if you say you're intermittently having power go out. They'll probably come out and replace the splices and give everything a decent look for free. It may not fix your issue, but for $free it's a good first step!

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the price of housing has doubled in 20 years

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

the price of housing has doubled in 20 years

That kinda sucks, but it represents ~3.5% cost growth each year. The cumulative effects of that constant increase wind up being huge.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I was insulating our crawl space this weekend and found a piece of mail from a previous owner, must have been late 90s early 2000s as it had an email option.

It was pushing them to take out a home equity loan with the low low interest rate of 5.75%!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The Dave posted:

I was insulating our crawl space this weekend and found a piece of mail from a previous owner, must have been late 90s early 2000s as it had an email option.

It was pushing them to take out a home equity loan with the low low interest rate of 5.75%!

My wifes oldest sister and her husband had an 18% 30 year loan on their first house in the early 80s.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

My wifes oldest sister and her husband had an 18% 30 year loan on their first house in the early 80s.

That was an awful rate, even for the time. They definitely had some other things going on.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

FHA 30 year rates peaked at over 18% in 1981. Same year my parents bought their first house, 16.5% rate!

e: Freddie Mac historic rates
http://www.freddiemac.com/pmms/pmms30.html

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Enos Cabell posted:

What's great is that this mentality that mortgage rates are awful is still dominant, so I'm getting advice that I need to pay down my 3% rate quickly because it's a great use of my extra money.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I mean, this is second hand knowledge that I got 35 years after the fact, but they would have been 20-21 year old first time home buyers in 81 so I don't doubt it. They were excited to refinance down to 13% a few years later.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

That was an awful rate, even for the time. They definitely had some other things going on.

Eh, my sister & her husband bought their first house in 1982 and had an 18% rate. My mom bought her first new car while going through divorce - she had little credit history and wound up with an 18% loan to get her '81 Civic off the lot for $5000.00 in early '82.

My wife & I finally pulled the trigger on buying a house in late 1991 when mortgage interest rates hit 10%; we agreed that if they ever dipped into single digits we'd buy immediately. Our first note was 9.75%. I really never thought they'd ever get into single digits again.

Our final refinance was in 2016 for 3.3% on a 10-year note.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My dad just casually dropped how he bought a home with 12% rate in the 80's.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Enos Cabell posted:

I don't remember the mortgage rate on my first house in the '80s -- definitely in the high teens -- but I do remember that it was adjustable. :aaaaa:

e: Also, it was a "jumbo" (large) mortgage, which had higher rates.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 15, 2021

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

HootTheOwl posted:

My dad just casually dropped how he bought a home with 12% rate in the 80's.

My parents have mentioned to me before that they got a 12% rate in the 80s and they were over the moon about it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

yeah i told my boomer relatives i dont see that much i got 2.5% out of the gate, first time buyer, no points, and they about poo poo themselves

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 15, 2021

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The flip side of the 80's rates was CD's actually paid a ton of interest as well. My wife deals with old people all the time discussing the days of earning 15% on a CD while they complain that todays rates are like 0.55%

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

skipdogg posted:

The flip side of the 80's rates was CD's actually paid a ton of interest as well. My wife deals with old people all the time discussing the days of earning 15% on a CD while they complain that todays rates are like 0.55%

Houses were also "cheaper". It seems for a long time housing PAYMENTS have kept up with inflation (plus some) roughly. The sale prices seemed to increase/decrease in inverse proportion to mortgage interest rates.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

skipdogg posted:

The inflation rate in 1981 was 10%. That's why CDs paid so much interest, and people tend to forget that.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I used to have a few savings bonds that earned like 6%.

Tbh I would much rather pay a 15% interest rate on a $50k-150k house than a 2.75% interest rate on $650k-700k for that same house.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The inflation rate in 1981 was 10%. That's why CDs paid so much interest, and people tend to forget that.

We're on track to remind the entire world what that was like.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Enos Cabell posted:

I mean, this is second hand knowledge that I got 35 years after the fact, but they would have been 20-21 year old first time home buyers in 81 so I don't doubt it. They were excited to refinance down to 13% a few years later.

Imagine buying a house when you're 20. Goddamn this generation got such a raw deal.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sirotan posted:

Imagine buying a house when you're 20. Goddamn this generation got such a raw deal.

I still can't believe I own a house and I'm 33 :psyduck:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Sirotan posted:

Not only that but a new house, or one that's less than a decade old and still right next to city centers.

Anything approaching reasonably priced for our generation is old, falling apart, and/or an hours drive outside of the city.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sirotan posted:

In 1992, I bought my first house at 21. Put 10% down on a $78,500 house. Took me a year of working my first real job and living with my parents to save money. Loan was at 9%, later refi'd to 7.75%.

I wish I could hope for my 18 year old son to have the same trajectory, but the game has changed so much. The entire structure has been built to keep young'uns absolutely drained (mentally and economically) and keep the wealth in the boomer group.

It's sad, and I saw it coming a long time ago. Through most of my 20s, I planned on not bringing kids into this hole, but life happened and... welp.

I just hope I can teach them enough to survive without being slaves to the system.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sirotan posted:

there should be widespread homelessness by this point in time but for some reason widespread homelessness is nonexistent

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

there should be widespread homelessness by this point in time but for some reason widespread homelessness is nonexistent

Not sure if :thejoke: but we have make-shift villages of people living in tents in fields in most major US cities currently

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

Not sure if :thejoke: but we have make-shift villages of people living in tents in fields in most major US cities currently

NON-EXIST-ENT!!!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

SpartanIvy posted:

Not only that but a new house, or one that's less than a decade old and still right next to city centers.

Anything approaching reasonably priced for our generation is old, falling apart, and/or an hours drive outside of the city.

Tbf, pre-wwii=best home

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't have wanted to own a house when I was 20.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Sash! posted:

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't have wanted to own a house when I was 20.

Probably not, but I would have liked to be able to.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpartanIvy posted:

those camps are quite small and have stayed at roughly the same amount of people for the past 3 years rather than linearly (or exponentially) expanding. it doesn't make sense

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sash! posted:

home ownership was popular after WW2 in the US

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

home ownership was popular after WW2 in the US

And plenty of guys went to war, came back to their home town, and immediately spent the next 40 years working at the same plant as dad (or grandpa too).

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Jesus, to be so lucky to have that sort of stability

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

cruft posted:

We're on track to remind the entire world what that was like.

yet the interest on my savings account remains sub 1%, curious

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

those camps are quite small and have stayed at roughly the same amount of people for the past 3 years rather than linearly (or exponentially) expanding. it doesn't make sense

A bunch of them have died.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

My washer has started doing an extra rinse cycle after the spin cycle completes. There's a switch to turn that off, and it's always been off, but it's doing it anyway. The spin cycle is operating correctly, the drain isn't clogged, water's draining out the standpipe, etc. It just spins and then very helpfully soaks the clothes again.

I also noticed that it started agitating as soon as the initial cycle started (as it's filling up with water). Not sure if that's a problem for cleaning, but it indicates that something else is busted.

It's a Maytag MVWC6ESWW1. I was able to open up the timer panel and see the pretty simple electronics (and a full printed wiring diagram!), and for shits and giggles I unplugged/replugged the "extra rinse" switch and checked for dirty contacts or anything like that, but it was in good shape.

Is this more of a "order a replacement part and hope it's the right one" problem or a "the Maytag repair guy will have the part on his truck, does 6 of these a week, and will charge you $50" problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Anyone have experience with home water detectors and shutoffs? It looks like the two big-names are Flo by Moen and the Phyn Plus for about the same price. I'm half interested in it for the emergency shut shut off, and half for small leak detection. Do they actually work as intended? Any pros or cons to one or the other?

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 16, 2021