Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The movie actually has full versions of Spider-Man 4 and Amazing Spider-Man 3 within.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Lobok posted:

The movie actually has full versions of Spider-Man 4 and Amazing Spider-Man 3 within.

Andrew Garfieldman battles his deadliest foe yet: the Hypno-Hustler!

Tobey McGuireman just fights Bonesaw again

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

But that would only be three minutes of playtime.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Better than more of Tony Stark's ghost haunting the franchise.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

he loses when bonesaw calls him out on his homophobia

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
This makes me wonder if Bruce Campbell will reprise all three of his roles.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Madkal posted:

This makes me wonder if Bruce Campbell will reprise all three of his roles.

Into the Campbellverse, all leading up to Marvel Zombies vs Army of Darkness

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I saw the Snyder Cut in the bookmobile and picked it up. Could someone remind me of the politics behind its release? Was it basically gamergate/anti-sjw? Or am I conflating things and entitled nerds are just the same no matter what?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Beachcomber posted:

I saw the Snyder Cut in the bookmobile and picked it up. Could someone remind me of the politics behind its release? Was it basically gamergate/anti-sjw? Or am I conflating things and entitled nerds are just the same no matter what?

this seems like a quick way to start an argument

simple version:

1. there was a significant number of chuds involved in hashtag release the snyder cut, but that's by no means everyone
2. the actual final film is fine
3. snyder appears to have successfully distanced himself from the bad fans in recent days, despite saying some dubious stuff in the past

I still don't like the way snyder makes movies but whatever~

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 16, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
A whole bunch of comicsgate and comicsgate adjacent scumbags and reactionaries promoted snyder's "strong manly" dc movies over "weak feminized woke sjw" marvel movies for years and snyder didn't care enough to notice it or say anything about it, he even did interviews with some of them, but then the atlanta mass shooting happened, one of the largest mass shootings targeting asians in history, in which the law enforcement officials in charge expressed sympathy for the murderer for obvious racist reasons, and this got to snyder and prompted him to call out and denounce Geeks+Gamers, one of the particularly egregious and racist alt-right comicsgate groups that were supporting him right before he denounced them

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/mar/17/jay-baker-bad-day-t-shirt-atlanta-spa-shooting

https://theronin.org/2021/03/23/warnermedias-ann-sarnoff-joins-zack-snyder-denouncing-toxic-fandom-too-little-too-late/

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamerGhazi/comments/m7u6dr/zack_snyder_sparks_confusion_and_tension_in_the/

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 16, 2021

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I just think it's ridiculous only Snyder is some how responsible for his fans, ain't no one asking the same of Feige.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I think the point of contention as cited above was that Snyder had interviews with some of the worst ringleaders, but to his credit he pretty forcefully put a stop to that and cut them off at the knees, which was good. He also at one point dismissed the toxicity in interviews but then changed his mind and condemned it when specifically shown some of the hosed up tweets. As for why no one expects Feige to answer for toxic Marvel fans, it's probably because Marvel fans are into Marvel, and not really invested in the personality of Feige, who didn't direct any of the films and who has a highly ambiguous authorial stamp on any of them. No one knows anything about him aside from his predilection for baseball hats. Snyder fans, by contrast, are into Snyder as a personality and how that manifests in his work. A lot is known about him, and he has a clear authorial stamp on his work. People call them Snyderfans, but no one calls Marvel's fans Feigefans y'know. Is that fair? Probably not. But it is what it is.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
What time do the mods and iks wake up?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The United States posted:

I'm more surprised at the Iron Man crossover, I thought Tony Stark was dead

poo poo.....just got real

Bad Spider Boys

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Anyway Eternals blew super chunks and was my worst experience in the theater in a while. What a clap trap of non-coherent CGI smashing stiff board characters.

But mostly I'm annoyed that this thing was almost three hours?!? This poo poo?!?!

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 16, 2021

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Karloff posted:

I think the point of contention as cited above was that Snyder had interviews with some of the worst ringleaders, but to his credit he pretty forcefully put a stop to that and cut them off at the knees, which was good. He also at one point dismissed the toxicity in interviews but then changed his mind and condemned it when specifically shown some of the hosed up tweets. As for why no one expects Feige to answer for toxic Marvel fans, it's probably because Marvel fans are into Marvel, and not really invested in the personality of Feige, who didn't direct any of the films and who has a highly ambiguous authorial stamp on any of them. No one knows anything about him aside from his predilection for baseball hats. Snyder fans, by contrast, are into Snyder as a personality and how that manifests in his work. A lot is known about him, and he has a clear authorial stamp on his work. People call them Snyderfans, but no one calls Marvel's fans Feigefans y'know. Is that fair? Probably not. But it is what it is.

There also isn't really the equivalent of a #releasethesnydercut type of online activism which puts the personality and creative choices of a particular individual front and centre. The closest you come to it is the movement to rehire James Gunn, but that movement was based on Gunn having repudiated his past behaviour, not on some argument that Gunn should be unrestrained in his creativity.

I think if Feige got fired from the MCU and we got a movement calling for him to be put back in control because "only he really understands what the MCU is about" then we might see similar scrutiny of who is leading such a movement and what they are doing.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 16, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shageletic posted:

Anyway Eternals blew super chunks and was my worst experience in the theater in a while. What a clap trap of non-coherent CGI smashing and stiff board characters.

But mostly I'm annoyed that this thing was almost three hours?!? This poo poo?!?!
I wouldn’t say it was bad, but the script was messy as hell and they could have easily removed a few side plots and characters to spend more time on the ones that the movie clearly wants to focus more on.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Fangz posted:

There also isn't really the equivalent of a #releasethesnydercut type of online activism which puts the personality and creative choices of a particular individual front and centre.

This and that other post remove a ton of context about how it was just one person WB was pushing out. Or how Snyder was considered a fascist by liberal talking heads so he was "forced" to talk to anyone who would listen.

Toxic Snyder fandom is in retaliation to how Snyder and his fans were treated. Conversely, mcu toxic fans harassed an actor for playing a villain.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 16, 2021

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Karloff posted:

It's completely fair and that guy is not asking in good faith at all.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

bushisms.txt posted:

Conversely, mcu toxic fans harassed an actor for playing a villain.

They have harassed actors, directors and writers alike. One of the Loki writers (or the director, i dont remember well) had to close down their Twitter and even Olsen removed herself from social media for the sin of not being fast enough to send her public condolences to Chadwick's fans & family. It's a nasty little loud group.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

Toxic Snyder fandom is in retaliation to how Snyder and his fans were treated. Conversely, mcu toxic fans harassed an actor for playing a villain.

The other difference is that Snyder fans (including in this thread) tend to defend and justify the actions of toxic Snyder fans while most people who like MCU movies absolutely do not.

EDIT: Also, I think if you are talking about people harassing creators in the MCU, it seems rather obvious why you would not hold those MCU creators responsible, versus a case where you've got people on the side of a particular creator harassing *other* people.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 16, 2021

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Yup, the toxic elements of MCU fans, Ghostbusters fans, Star Wars fans, Snyder fans, DC fans, Spider-Man fans are all equally awful. They all suffer from the same sickness. None are justified in their toxicity, and justifying their actions for any reason is wrong.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Fangz posted:

The other difference is that Snyder fans (including in this thread) tend to defend and justify the actions of toxic Snyder fans while most people who like MCU movies absolutely do not.

EDIT: Also, I think if you are talking about people harassing creators in the MCU, it seems rather obvious why you would not hold those MCU creators responsible, versus a case where you've got people on the side of a particular creator harassing *other* people.
Everything is a result of social media algorithms making it that you see only the most batshit insane people ranting about x article or why x famous director said something about superhero movies not being real movies or having a bad scripts.

My life got way better once I muted MCU, Kingo, and Marvel off twitter. I just wish my comrades who are also film types would do so instead of feeling forced to make takes.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Everything is a result of social media algorithms making it that you see only the most batshit insane people ranting about x article or why x famous director said something about superhero movies not being real movies or having a bad scripts.

My life got way better once I muted MCU, Kingo, and Marvel off twitter. I just wish my comrades who are also film types would do so instead of feeling forced to make takes.

For sure, twitter delende est.

But what I'm saying is that contrary to certain people who would like to believe that the core of this discussion is about "which multi-billion dollar media franchise makes its viewers inherently better people who don't do lovely things", the more significant matter is the attitude you have towards those lovely things.

Fundamentally, I think the MCU-likers group is just a less cohesive group overall (for instance, most people who like MCU movies don't like or even have seen *all* MCU movies), which as one positive makes it easier for them to go "well yeah, gently caress those people", vs snyder-likers who seem to have a closer-knit embattled group identity, which in this case has the negative side effect of having an instinct to close ranks around the stupid-angry-people that you'd otherwise roll your eyes at. I don't think it's entirely algorithmic, looking at what people share to this thread.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Fangz posted:

Again with removing context, no one condones heinous poo poo, but when toxic fandom including in this sub forum means disagreeing and correcting blatant misinformation, then we get into the weeds.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Any person or company who hires Jared Leto is a poo poo. Thankfully this includes both DC and Marvel so we can just agree everything is poo poo.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Oh boy, whataboutism, my favorite kind of comic book movie news.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Kingo will not be ignored-o

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

Toxic Snyder fandom is in retaliation to how Snyder and his fans were treated.

I get your speaking from your own experience, but I don't think it necessarily applies to all Snyder fans, at least some of whom are inherently lovely in their own right. Same can be said of any fandom, which is why I, an MCU fan, won"t be making claims about the motivations of toxic MCU fans.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Any person or company who hires Jared Leto is a poo poo. Thankfully this includes both DC and Marvel so we can just agree everything is poo poo.
Sony hired Leto for Morbius, Disney has no input with that one

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sony hired Leto for Morbius, Disney has no input with that one

Leto is starring in Tron 3

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Leto is starring in Tron 3
They were talking about Marvel specifically, but they should not hire him for that either

Not sure why another Tron is getting made anyway, since the last one underperformed and was very costly to make

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They were going to make a Tron 3 a while ago but Tomorrowland bombing nixed that. Shame, I kinda liked Legacy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Legacy is the greatest long-form music video ever made, and I say that with completely love and sincerity. I adore that movie.

This new one will have Jared Leto, no Daft Punk, and (probably) no Joseph Kosinski, so what would even be the point? Olivia Wilde’s possible return and maybe those same slick visuals would be the only reasons to watch it.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 16, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The score does so much for that movie, it's true

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i also really like tron legacy, the daft punk soundtrack, and the remix album

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I did not care for Tron: Legacy, but liked the soundtrack and overall visuals. I always thought whoever did the CGI for that movie should have been hired for Green Lantern.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Tron Legacy has some of my favorite CG deaging, because weird plasticky Jeff Bridges is perfect for CLU.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I want a Legacy follow up, especially if Quorra spends a couple of years in the real world before deciding "gently caress this noise, imma going back in the grid" and offers to take us with her. Wanna race lightcycles, yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
tron legacy was a very accurate title because it hewed closely to the original tron's legacy of being intensely loving boring