Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's $2 more than Spotify Premium and $2 is worth no youtube ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

bull3964 posted:

The family one is $17.99. There is no $15 price point so I don't know where that came from. Student is $6.99.

It came from me paying that.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Yeah sorry for the confusion - I don't know where I got the $15/month number. I mean, I didn't make it up - I googled it and found that, but clearly it was wrong.

However, $11.99/month is still too much for me. Yeah, the "only $2/month more than Spotify" mindset does help, but I don't want to go through the hassle of switching from Spotify or using an inferior app.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've currently got YouTube premium as a 3 month freebie from something else, it's about to expire on this weekend. I value what it does at around $3/mo maybe, so absolutely won't be paying full rate for it. I watch a fair bit of YT too, but I'll just deal with some ads.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

bull3964 posted:

It's $2 more than Spotify Premium and $2 is worth no youtube ads.

Spotify Premium comes with a music streaming service that isn't an embarrassment, though. There's some value there.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

YouTube ads are literally the fuckin worst and I have no problem paying to not see that garbage.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TheScott2K posted:

Spotify Premium comes with a music streaming service that isn't an embarrassment, though. There's some value there.

People say this all the time, but I've really noticed no functional difference for me. Both services play the poo poo I tell it to play. Yay. Done.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

People say this all the time, but I've really noticed no functional difference for me. Both services play the poo poo I tell it to play. Yay. Done.

Ok but your mailing address is 123 On Google's Dick

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yeah sorry for the confusion - I don't know where I got the $15/month number. I mean, I didn't make it up - I googled it and found that, but clearly it was wrong.

However, $11.99/month is still too much for me. Yeah, the "only $2/month more than Spotify" mindset does help, but I don't want to go through the hassle of switching from Spotify or using an inferior app.

Just sign up via Argentina vpn, it’s like $1.50 a month

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
At least one doesn’t support Joe Rogan.

I have no dog in this fight. I pay for YT premium, but I still use Apple Music.

thelizzerd
Nov 12, 2021
Until they end up like everything else and raise the price for everyone including grandfathered in folks.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

kri kri posted:

Just sign up via Argentina vpn, it’s like $1.50 a month

That's how this whole conversation started!

At this point I'm just worried about losing my account if I do it with my real account, and I don't really want to start a new account specifically for this and have to start from scratch with all my subscriptions and recommendations. So I will do nothing.

thelizzerd
Nov 12, 2021

OldSenileGuy posted:

That's how this whole conversation started!

At this point I'm just worried about losing my account if I do it with my real account, and I don't really want to start a new account specifically for this and have to start from scratch with all my subscriptions and recommendations. So I will do nothing.

If you do end up making a new account, there is a youtube subscription mover. I haven't tried it, but I heard it works.

https://github.com/evanreilly/youtube-subscriptions-importer

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
If anyone is looking for a CC Ultra for cheap, check out the price on the Stadia Premiere Edition, its currently discounted to ~22 bucks.
https://store.google.com/product/stadia_premiere_edition?hl=en-US

That's a hefty discount on the included CC ULtra plus a "free" controller. Plus Stadia I guess.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Hulu is raising the cost of Live TV $5/mo but adding Disney+ and ESPN+ to the deal for free. If you wanted both of those or are subbing outside the bundle, it's a good deal. If you aren't interested, it's a rate increase.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

RevKrule posted:

Hulu is raising the cost of Live TV $5/mo but adding Disney+ and ESPN+ to the deal for free. If you wanted both of those or are subbing outside the bundle, it's a good deal. If you aren't interested, it's a rate increase.

At least with the price hike they're including more poo poo I guess.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Roku managed to score another point on my poo poo list. Their new OS update apparently has higher power requirements and the Streaming Stick+ I had working for years off of my home office TV's USB port now refuses to boot with a low power warning. If I have to go through the trouble of running a power cable to this thing, I'm just going to flat out replace it with a ChromeCast with GoogleTV that's on sale for $39 bucks right now.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

RevKrule posted:

I was thinking of canceling the Disney bundle and going with the regular Live sub but a $3 discount definitely makes me okay with just rolling with it. I mean I guess I don’t have a choice now but yeah, it works for me. In general I’ve been very happy with Hulu Live since I got it a few months ago.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Hope I get a 4th year of ad-supported Hulu for next to nothing this Black Friday. Gotten kinda accustomed to that!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Hope I get a 4th year of ad-supported Hulu for next to nothing this Black Friday. Gotten kinda accustomed to that!

I just got an email for $1/mo for a year, is that it?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

I just got an email for $1/mo for a year, is that it?

Yeah, 99 cents/mo for a year is this year's deal.

I hosed up and forgot to end my sub. I just now cancelled it, but I'm not sure I was in time to take advantage since my account is still active through Dec 21st. I'll probably get the Disney+ (not Hulu LiveTV though) bundle if I miss out on it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Speaking of 0.99, both Amazon and YoutubeTV are doing a thing where you can add a bunch of the premium channels for 0.99 for two months.

Guess I get to watch Yellowjackets after all.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I did miss the Hulu vod library so it’s great to get that back

Now I’ve got (through purchases and sharing) YTTV, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Prime, HBO Max, Peacock, Paramount, Frndly, and Discovery+. I feel like one of those assholes that had HBO and Cinemax when I was a kid

I still haven’t redeemed my free Apple TV but meh on that

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
3rd crosspost...

I have a question about indoor TV antennas...

Are they essentially all the same? Amazon has tons but I honestly don't know what's junk or not.

I have one that will only get a few channels unless I readjust the placement then it will get another set of channels and the original ones won't work.

We are about 30 miles from a major downtown.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Krime posted:

3rd crosspost...

Are they essentially all the same? Amazon has tons but I honestly don't know what's junk or not.

I have one that will only get a few channels unless I readjust the placement then it will get another set of channels and the original ones won't work.

We are about 30 miles from a major downtown.

The biggest thing about antennas is the higher you can get them up, the better. Roof antenna are better than attic antennas which are better than indoor “leaf” antennas on a second story which is better than one behind your TV.

If you can get it up high enough on a wall facing your towers they should all work just about as good. If not, it’s kind of a crapshoot so I wouldn’t spend too much money and get whatever is on Amazon in your price range with good reviews.

Personally I have an attic antenna with an HDHomerun and get great reception on all channels.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Krime posted:

I use this antenna personally:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D4YW5HR/

Picks up channels great, even without the ears extended, and when they're all clamped down it's about the size of a Switch dock so fairly easy to hide. I'm not in the exact same situation as you (I'm in the middle of the burbs outside of a major city) so your mileage may vary.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 29, 2021

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
We're roughly 40-50 miles out from the transmitters in the metro, and I've got one of these in the attic:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYMVPVX/

Gets great reception for all the broadcast channels, the only time we've had issues is during some tornado-warning kind of weather, and that was just the furthest transmitter.

Get it up high enough, and make sure it's aimed properly. It's at the end of probably 70' of coax to the basement utility room, then another 20' back up to the TV. Just a standard 6 splitter from Monoprice in the middle to run it out to all the other jacks in the house.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I have an LG OLED tv - the B7 I think? Lately it's been constantly restarting the apps (restarting this app to fee up memory error) Hulu can't make it through a full episode.

I've turned off quick start, tried closing all recent apps so only the one is running. Done the hard reset thing. Nothing seems to work.

I'm guessing the TV's smart functions are hosed. Any ideas on how to fix it? Alternatively I was thinking of picking up the new Chromecast as I'm not in the apple ecosystem. Would that work as an alternative to WebOS?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

PitViper posted:

We're roughly 40-50 miles out from the transmitters in the metro, and I've got one of these in the attic:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYMVPVX/

Gets great reception for all the broadcast channels, the only time we've had issues is during some tornado-warning kind of weather, and that was just the furthest transmitter.

Get it up high enough, and make sure it's aimed properly. It's at the end of probably 70' of coax to the basement utility room, then another 20' back up to the TV. Just a standard 6 splitter from Monoprice in the middle to run it out to all the other jacks in the house.

What's the best way to get the cable from the attic to the TV?

I know this sounds like a dumb question but there's nothing in my attic.

Hole drilling time?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://youtu.be/eSMUnuoxdZQ

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
With HDhomerun do you need to actually record stuff to stream it across the house, or can you use the box as a sort of remote tuner and flip channels via the app?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

davebo posted:

With HDhomerun do you need to actually record stuff to stream it across the house, or can you use the box as a sort of remote tuner and flip channels via the app?
You can watch live and flip channels no problem.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a Firestick 4K on my living room TV and really like it, much more than the Roku Ultra when I tested them side by side in summer 2019. I now need a streaming stick for my lovely bedroom TV. I’m tempted to get a 4K Max, put it in my living room TV, and demote my regular 4K to the bedroom. But my living room TV has built-in Chromecast support which has me wondering if I should consider getting a Chromecast with Google TV for my bedroom. I generally don’t cast much in the living room, but I could see myself doing so more frequently from bed, maybe? :shrug: I do have an Echo that I use and an unboxed Google Mini.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

davebo posted:

Live streaming across your network is basically how their boxes work. You used to need a 3rd party app to do DVR with them, but I think in the last couple years Silicon Dust started offering a cloud DVR.

Personally I use PLEX for DVR and it works great.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Proteus Jones posted:

Live streaming across your network is basically how their boxes work. You used to need a 3rd party app to do DVR with them, but I think in the last couple years Silicon Dust started offering a cloud DVR.

Personally I use PLEX for DVR and it works great.

I wasn't aware Plex had OTA antenna receivers, I might look into that too then, thanks.

SearchInward
Oct 22, 2021
My current subscription roster after cutting cable 8 years ago has slowly grown. I haven't really thought much about overlap in my services, but I'm definitely looking to consolidate or reduce services. I gave myself a rule where I can have max 3 TV/Movie streaming services at max (along with 1 active music subscription)

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Krime posted:

What's the best way to get the cable from the attic to the TV?

I know this sounds like a dumb question but there's nothing in my attic.

Hole drilling time?

Ours was relatively easy, there was access in the semi finished basement stairwell, and a common wall that runs from the basement slab all the way to the attic. Our cable tech managed to fish from the basement to the attic above the second story by cutting a hole in the basement, and another hole in our master bedroom near the base (right where we wanted an outlet anyway). Drilled up from the basement through the top/bottom plate, and down from the master bedroom into the same stud cavity. Then down from the attic space, and fished the wire bundle up from the basement to the attic, and then down to the outlets (4 cat6 and 1 RG6, if I recall correctly).

Main level was easy, because access to all the walls was available due to the basement being unfinished. I may run a few more cables before we finish the basement, or leave access panels in the drywall to do future runs.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

davebo posted:

I wasn't aware Plex had OTA antenna receivers, I might look into that too then, thanks.

It's just a client app baked into Plex server that works with tuner devices that stream over the network. So I have an HDHomerun PRIME (cable card) and an HDHomerun CONNECT (OTA) and it will display channels from both. Plex will also pull TV schedule information and allow you schedule recurring or one-off recordings as long as you have a place to store them. I don't know about other streaming tuners, but the PRIME will tune 3 simultaneous channels and the CONNECT will tune 2.

You do need a Plex Pass to use those features however, either with a monthly sub or by ponying up for the lifetime Plex Pass.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Is there any way to get Youtube TV to stop recommending certain channels to me when I first open the app? I keep getting Fox programming suggested and I have zero interest in seeing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Listerine posted:

Is there any way to get Youtube TV to stop recommending certain channels to me when I first open the app? I keep getting Fox programming suggested and I have zero interest in seeing it.

Have you removed it from your channel guide? That might remove it from recommendations