Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

mlmp08 posted:

Well, the Swedish government tried to extradite him for molestation and sexual assault and were succeeding until he claimed asylum in an embassy. He managed to outlast the statute of limitations, right?

Depending on where the alleged crime occurred, the extradition process might have tolled the SoL.

Dude is actively avoiding going to court so…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

pantslesswithwolves posted:

It's a travesty that it took a bunch of coddled White treason aficionados complaining in order to get any kind of action on this, but as we've discussed repeatedly, neglect and abuse should not be a part of anyone's pre-trial confinement or actual sentence regardless of their crime.

I'm sure it'll feature prominently in their "brave" memoirs of their "Struggle" as political prisoners in "Woke America." :godwin:

(and no, I'm not implying they deserve to be held in deplorable conditions, I'm just stating the demonstrated *fact* that any/everything gets turned into proof of persecution with this sort)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Jesus Christ some of you really bought the bullshit. I can assure you that the US has expending millions on lawyers and bagmen to find every angle to defend what they did to Assange, you don’t need to help, the US Gov is not going after him because he’s an annoying weirdo or alleged rapist. It’s because he played a key role in humiliating the intelligence community and now we’ve set the precedent that this is okay.

The fact that he’s facing 175 years in solitary for just publishing leaks like journalists have done for ages should loving terrify you.

There’s a lot of lovely things associated with Wikileaks and what they choose to emphasize and their opsec in some cases but loving Christ I have a bigger issue with the CIA having free reign to burn down anyone’s life who makes them look stupid or exposes inconvenient war crimes.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 16, 2021

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wasn’t a lot of leaks just exposing informants endangering them and their families?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
never tweet

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1460405707568726022

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
gently caress Elon I hope he loses

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Bored As gently caress posted:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I don't know what that means, but gently caress Elon.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Stultus Maximus posted:

I don't know what that means, but gently caress Elon.

:same:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

That Works posted:

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1460334367755096070?s=20

This is near the end of an amazing thread that everyone should click on and read

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1460325977586872326

NICE!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The JP Morgan/Tesla suit is going to go in JP Morgan's favor. What's sad is that this should be a trivial suit for Tesla to pay - after all they're a trillion dollar company and the suit is for $162m. No company should waste money litigating over a suit that is less than 0.2% of the company's value.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Hey hey hey, maybe give elon a break.

He made some really decent child coffins for those stuck kids back in the day.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Here's the tl:dr; of the lawsuit: JP Morgan has contract with Tesla for a lot of 2021 warrants - that is contracts for shares. The warrants were only valid if the stock went above a certain price, which it is many multiples of. The dispute hinges around Musk's dumbshit going private at $420 tweet. This triggered certain contractual parts of the warrant agreement because it was a material statement regarding a change in ownership. JP Morgan notified Tesla pursuant to the contract, and Tesla said "nuh uh."

When it came time to settle up, Tesla balked at paying out what they owed. As a result, JP Morgan had to go buy 227k shares of Tesla on the open market ($162m worth). Tesla now owes them that money plus attorneys fees.

They had to buy the shares to close out short positions held by other clients. The shorts were sold based upon the contract that Tesla is welching on.

The thing is, they could have easily just given JP Morgan the shares. My guess is Elon refused because it was going to short sellers. I'm pretty sure Tesla is gonna have to pay their bills.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Crab Dad posted:

Wasn’t a lot of leaks just exposing informants endangering them and their families?

Possibly. Probably. Wikileaks definitely endangered their own sources, hacker Phineas Phisher almost got screwed by them since Wikileaks started publishing stuff she sent them in the middle of the operation.

Assange is probably a pretty garbage person, Wikileaks is not a very trustworthy organization when it comes to how they operate, (though you generally can trust that the leaks are authentic) and if I was a leaker I would probably trust Bellingcat more than Wikileaks unless it was directly about the CIA or high levels of the US gov or whatnot.

But again, that’s not why he’s charged. The government leaks poo poo like that by accident my or on purpose all the time.

He’s being charged as a spy and traitor, when he by every measure was a journalist and foreign national.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

To follow-up on what was posted earlier, it appears that the prosecutor and judge are having a dumb-off in the Rittenhouse trial and the judge was actually right.

Turns out I was wrong myself earlier, and it's a case of law-makers not knowing how to write law.

https://www.wisconsinrightnow.com/2021/11/13/kyle-rittenhouse-gun-charge/

quote:

(c) This section applies only to a person under 18 years of age who possesses or is armed with a rifle or a shotgun if the person is in violation of s. 941.28 or is not in compliance with ss. 29.304 and 29.593.

Let’s unpack it further. It’s the “and” that makes Rittenhouse’s carrying of the rifle legal.

Rittenhouse is not in violation of s.941.28 because that’s the statute that explains that the rifle must be short-barreled to be illegal, and no one presented evidence to the jury that his gun was short-barreled, not even prosecutors. Moving on, then, the “and” means the state must show he was in violation of BOTH 29.304 and 29.593. That’s how we, the defense, and the judge read it. 29.304 makes it illegal for anyone under 16 to carry a gun. In fact, that statute is headlined, “Restrictions on hunting and use of firearms by persons under 16 years of age.”

But Rittenhouse was 17. The last part, 29.593, relates to not having a hunter’s safety certificate. Rittenhouse concedes he did not.

Thus, he does not meet 2 of the 3 violation requirements, but because of the way the law is worded (“and”), the state needed to show he was either in violation of the short-barreled provision OR both the age and hunter’s safety certificate elements. They have not, and can not, do so because he’s not under 16.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm reading the complaint and holy goddamn christ how stupid do you have to be to sell stock options to someone while also giving them unilateral authority to change the strike price

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

When it comes to Brown Moses it’s more that he had a consistent track record of steering everything in a pro-NATO “we’re like Wikileaks but not Putin shills like those guys
Can you point to this "pro-NATO" content Bellingcat has put out? Reporting on the Russian-facilitated shootdown of a passenger airliner? Reporting on GRU assassination campaigns in Europe? Reporting on use of chemical weapons and ethnic cleansing by Assadist forces in Syria? Reporting on US nuclear secrets being leaked via people unthinkingly leaving study flashcards publicly visible online? Reporting on Saudi-UAE bombing of civilians in Yemen?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://mobile.twitter.com/willsommer/status/1460454073291972608?s=21

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Can we just jump right to the point where these people take themselves off in to the jungle and start drinking Flavor-Aid? Would save the rest of us so, so much trouble.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

bird food bathtub posted:

Can we just jump right to the point where these people take themselves off in to the jungle and start drinking Flavor-Aid? Would save the rest of us so, so much trouble.

Just make the post

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
What I wouldn't give for an ice storm to hit Dallas right now. I hope they decide to hang out until March rolls around.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Cugel the Clever posted:

Can you point to this "pro-NATO" content Bellingcat has put out? Reporting on the Russian-facilitated shootdown of a passenger airliner? Reporting on GRU assassination campaigns in Europe? Reporting on use of chemical weapons and ethnic cleansing by Assadist forces in Syria? Reporting on US nuclear secrets being leaked via people unthinkingly leaving study flashcards publicly visible online? Reporting on Saudi-UAE bombing of civilians in Yemen?

bellingcat primarily reports on intelligence and security, and some of that reporting is useful in support of us foreign policy. it's not unreasonable to think that they've received information from intelligence community sources or that the intelligence community has facilitated access to sources. bellingcat can serve as a useful laundry for stories intelligence services want to leak, same as wikileaks. they've got an impressive level of access to particular domestic Russian sources for such a young, not Russian organization, if nothing else

this isn't to say their reporting is inaccurate, but like any media, it's important to think about what colors their biases

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

this isn't to say their reporting is inaccurate, but like any media, it's important to think about what colors their biases
I'm all for maintaining a healthy skepticism of all sources of information, but I'm intensely curious what "pro-NATO" content they've put out.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Cugel the Clever posted:

I think you’re ignoring what I’m actually saying. Plenty of people under the umbrella of Bellingcat, some of it not flattering to the US and it’s allies and have put out good information.

But the same thing could be said for Wikileaks and Russia, yet somehow they’re still a GRU op, even though I don’t believe they’ve ever been openly funded. It’s also ridiculous to suggest that Wikileaks hasn’t also somehow been influenced by Russian intelligence.

Bellingcat absolutely has. It’s not a secret that the National Endowment For Democracy gave them money. Higgins denied it a while back but now openly admits it.

If you don’t think leadership and funding sources matter in journalism than I don’t want to tell you.

https://mronline.org/2021/04/12/how-bellingcat-launders-national-security-state-talking-points-into-the-press/

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Anyway “SHOW ME THE ARTICLE THAT PROVES THE BIAS” is an impossible ask and I think you know that.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I think you’re ignoring what I’m actually saying. Plenty of people under the umbrella of Bellingcat, some of it not flattering to the US and it’s allies and have put out good information.

But the same thing could be said for Wikileaks and Russia, yet somehow they’re still a GRU op, even though I don’t believe they’ve ever been openly funded. It’s also ridiculous to suggest that Wikileaks hasn’t also somehow been influenced by Russian intelligence.

Bellingcat absolutely has. It’s not a secret that the National Endowment For Democracy gave them money. Higgins denied it a while back but now openly admits it.

If you don’t think leadership and funding sources matter in journalism than I don’t want to tell you.

https://mronline.org/2021/04/12/how-bellingcat-launders-national-security-state-talking-points-into-the-press/

The article you linked originally ran on MintPressNews, which is a conspiratorial site which has run truther articles about the 2013 sarin attacks in Damascus and has never disclosed where its own funding came from.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The article you linked originally ran on MintPressNews, which is a conspiratorial site which has run truther articles about the 2013 sarin attacks in Damascus and has never disclosed where its own funding came from.

Fair enough, about the article as a whole but here’s Elliot Higgins saying it:

https://twitter.com/eliothiggins/status/1213210086144905217?s=21

Bellingcat is exactly as much of a “NATO shill” as Wikileaks is a “GRU shill.” Which I would say “kinda but not really.”

Wanting people reporting in either of them to face effectively a death sentence for reporting on the crimes of the powerful is extremely bad.

Nobody should be celebrating what happened to Assange.

Funny this exact same narrative some of you have bought about Wikileaks is being repeated word for word in Russian press about Bellingcat being nothing but a cutout.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

What, if any, differences do you see in the way these two organizations operate?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm reading the complaint and holy goddamn christ how stupid do you have to be to sell stock options to someone while also giving them unilateral authority to change the strike price

It's not uncommon at all, and Tesla was desperate for the money so they took whatever they could get.

Tesla has not ever made money selling cars. They lose money hand over fist selling low quality poo poo built in a tent because Musk is an idiot who refused to use existing institutional knowledge to manufacture vehicles. They have only ever made money because of government subsidies and selling carbon credits to polluters. The actual value of the company is literally the liquidated assets as they have no really good IP - if they did, it would be licensed. Tesla has only been able to survive as long as it has because the government props it up and they're able to sell a bunch of shares to idiots who think musk is tony stark any time they're in a cash crunch (like to pay musk).

This lawsuit is a big deal for Tesla because I really do not think they can afford to pay it. They claim in their last quarterly filing to have 16bn cash and cash equivalent on hand, but I'm betting the "equivalent" part is doing a lot of the heavy lifting.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
In other news, someone in China probably signed his own death warrant as he drove around Xinjiang and filmed from the street all the different "reeducation" facilities.

https://twitter.com/alisonkilling/status/1460243389060952074

There's a video with English subtitles or you can just read through the twitter thread.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Prop Wash posted:

What, if any, differences do you see in the way these two organizations operate?

There’s plenty of differences. None of this is really relevant to the fact that if you’re celebrating Assange or any journalist being crushed by the intelligence apparatus for reporting on the crimes of the powerful you’re being hypocritical in whatever standard you’re applying to justify it or you just really really like authoritarianism.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
And with that we’ve completed the Assange / Bellingcat discussion.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mr. Nice! posted:

In other news, someone in China probably signed his own death warrant as he drove around Xinjiang and filmed from the street all the different "reeducation" facilities.

There's a video with English subtitles or you can just read through the twitter thread.

gently caress that’s chilling.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Wait I though I read that these aren’t real according posters who said China isn’t doing anything but help out the people of Xinjiang and also that America did bad things so we need to not say bad things about China. :iiam:

The answer is that tankies and whatabout people are idiots

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 16, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It's worth remembering that back in 2016, WikiLeaks turned down publishing leaks on Russia and other sources to focus entirely on the 2016 presidental campaign - during which, as we all remember, WikiLeaks published information hacked from the Clinton campaign by the GRU, while likely in communication with Roger Stone, a member of the Trump campaign.

Assange shouldn't be prosecuted for espionage, but imo the claim that Bellingcat and WikiLeaks are equivalent is absolutely absurd.

e: Sorry FV

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The uncanny valley in the China video of the guy driving around what look almost just like Midwestern US highways touring concentration camps is spooky.

I’m not really sure what can even be done at this point about it. There’s no real organized popular resistance or effective political movement in China that would roll this back and there isn’t any country that’s actually going to use the Uyghur genocide or whatever what is basically a genocide technically counts as as anything other than a cheap talking point.

I dunno, maybe China in a decade or two hits a demographic cliff and has economic woes and the unrest is enough to shake things up and move things off the ethnic nationalist course Xi moved China on?

In other, less depressing news though people are doing some gangster poo poo in Myanmar, which started with the age old “government shoots protesters protesters come back a couple years later as insurgents”

NSFW because guns and stuff but no clearly visible deaths

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CWTbeGirz5T/?utm_medium=copy_link

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

NSFW because guns and stuff but no clearly visible deaths

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CWTbeGirz5T/?utm_medium=copy_link

Is that a left handed AR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Arven posted:

Is that a left handed AR?

Video is probably just mirrored Burma generally drives on the right side of the road but switched recently enough that you have cars based on left side driving which seems to be the case here.

E: or Eugene stoner moved to Burma and lives to like 120 and became an inspired by old school counter-strike weapon models

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 16, 2021