Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Justa Dandelion posted:

It looks like SIbona is distributed by Southern Glazers. I'll ask my southern rep to see what liquor stores might carry it. What's the closest city to you?

Edit: if ever you need to find something check Colorado Active Brands to see if it's distributed in the state and if so by whom. From there go to your nearest up scale liquor store and ask if they purchase anything from [insert distributor here] and if they do whether they are open to picking something up for you on their next order with [insert distributor here]. It helps if you frequent that liquor store regularly and identify yourself as a collector or big nerd. Make friends with them and they may be able to help you, especially if you do the legwork on where they can source certain products. Or if it's RNDC, European, CTS, Southern, Breakthru, Maverick, or Estate I can likely ask to see where in CO a product is distributed to.

Denver Metro Area the big nerdy liquor store is Argonaut by my house but I'd be alright with driving to anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Local bar is doing LotR trivia tonight and they have some specialty shots!

Orc's Breath posted:

Fireball whiskey, Kahlua

Green Shire posted:

Jameson, Midori, Bailey's

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Gross!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't like to harsh anyone's buzz, but yeah, those are what Ian Fleming called "musical comedy drinks." But I mean, it's shots, that's expected. No one's slowly sipping a B-52 from a Glencairn glass.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Honestly fireball Kahlua sounds kinda fun.

The green shire not so much.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Pander posted:

Honestly fireball Kahlua sounds kinda fun.

The green shire not so much.

You spelled rumchata wrong

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Fireball+rumchata is legit pretty good. Adds more alcohol to the rumchata and masks the unpleasantness of the Fireball, and the flavors mix well together.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

The Bandit posted:

You spelled rumchata wrong
I don't think that's a fair sub. Rumchata is like a soft cinnamon cream. If you're lucky fireball Kahlua would be like pouring red hots into your coffee.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't like to harsh anyone's buzz, but yeah, those are what Ian Fleming called "musical comedy drinks." But I mean, it's shots, that's expected. No one's slowly sipping a B-52 from a Glencairn glass.

The hotel bar at Hotel Nikko in Paris made the best B52 I've ever had. Seriously haven't had one since (1997). Partially because I wanted to keep the memory, partially because I discovered real cocktails not that long after.

But for real, talk about elevating a shooter to something special. Nothing like handing someone the glass with the top layer flaming.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If you got a fire and you can't put it out...

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

LionYeti posted:

Denver Metro Area the big nerdy liquor store is Argonaut by my house but I'd be alright with driving to anywhere.

My southern rep said the closest that has it in stock is Coaltrain in the Springs. I'd call before you drive down though just to be sure.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

The Bandit posted:

Cynar mezcal calvados, I think we’re all speaking the same language

1.5 Mezcal, 1 Cynar, 1 Calvados will approach something resembling a mirror image of the holy Negroni, and now I wanna try it.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Made a Saturn last night for the first time and it might be my new favorite cocktail!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

DoctaFun posted:

Made a Saturn last night for the first time and it might be my new favorite cocktail!

I would make it soo much more if I had reliable access to passionfruit. It's real nice.

I just made a Midnight Stroll which is:

1 1/2 ounces rye
3/4 ounce Campari
1/2 ounce Amaro Ramazzotti
1/4 ounce Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao
Dash Peychaud's Bitters

And that sucker is good. It's bitter but you get a lot out of replacing the vermouth with amaro/curaco.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I made a brandy Alexander with coconut cream and a little chocolate molé bitters, so good. Tempus Fugit makes a delicious creme de cacao. I followed the cocktail codex recipe but think I want to make it slightly less sweet next time.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

DoctaFun posted:

I made one for the first time on Friday night after looking up the recipe and I can confirm it was good.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Carillon posted:

I would make it soo much more if I had reliable access to passionfruit. It's real nice.

I just made a Midnight Stroll which is:

1 1/2 ounces rye
3/4 ounce Campari
1/2 ounce Amaro Ramazzotti
1/4 ounce Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao
Dash Peychaud's Bitters

And that sucker is good. It's bitter but you get a lot out of replacing the vermouth with amaro/curaco.

I used Liber and co.‘s passionfruit syrup, which is quite nice! More expensive than making your own, but it is quite tasty.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I got a bag of frozen passion fruit cubes at Whole Foods and blended them with a little water. Then I portioned and froze the purée. Worked great.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I have a bottle of St George spiced pear liqueur that’s been sitting (unrefrigerated) at about a quarter of a bottle since last year. I’d like to use it in a holiday punch, but I noticed today that it has some white solids floating around in it. Think I need to toss it? I’m not sure if it always had this particulate in it or not.

Edit: looking into it more, it seems that it may be starting to ferment. I drank a little of it the other night and it definitely wasn’t turned to vinegar, but it’s probably on its way.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 15, 2021

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

The local Latin market in my town sells Goya fruta brand frozen passion fruit pulp and it’s fantastic. Just thaw it and strain it for passion fruit juice, then you can just cut that by half with simple to make a syrup.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

A God drat Ghost posted:

I made a brandy Alexander with coconut cream and a little chocolate molé bitters, so good. Tempus Fugit makes a delicious creme de cacao. I followed the cocktail codex recipe but think I want to make it slightly less sweet next time.

Hell yeah. I like a little overproof dark rum in mine. I make my own creme de cacao too, I can share the recipe if anyone’s into that.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

prayer group posted:

Hell yeah. I like a little overproof dark rum in mine. I make my own creme de cacao too, I can share the recipe if anyone’s into that.

Please! I’ve been thinking on making some creme de cacao drinks this holiday season, but I don’t know that I want to go in on a whole bottle because its utility seems a bit limited.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

prayer group posted:

I'd love it! It's hard to find good liqueurs around here.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
This method is for a restaurant so it yields about a gallon. You should be able to scale down with no issues.

Place 350g cocoa butter in vaccuum-sealed bags with 1L 190-proof neutral grain spirit and circulate at 140F for two hours. Simultaneously, infuse 1L 2:1 sugar syrup with 200g cacao husks (these are a waste product from chocolate production; I ask my chocolate supplier to save these for me to use as a waste-reduction effort. Cocoa nibs will work fine as well, you would probably be able to use less.) using the same sous vide method. Freeze overnight to separate butter from spirit, strain and discard butter. Strain the syrup and combine with the infused spirit, then add 1.5L water and one cup turbinado sugar.

This makes the best creme de cacao I have ever tasted. The owner of the chocolate place I source from tried it last week and was very impressed. It’s honestly my favorite thing I’ve made.

prayer group fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 15, 2021

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

A God drat Ghost posted:

Tempus Fugit makes a delicious creme de cacao.

Their creme de banana is wonderful too. If you enjoy the smell of bananas it smells incredible. Not a ton of cocktails that use the banana though. Banana life and Yellow Submarine are both good ones. Yellow Submarine also uses creme de cacao.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
poo poo now I need a sous vide

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I’m sure this has a name but I don’t know what it is…anyone tell me?

3 parts cognac
1 part each amaro, aperol, and lemon, shaken over ice and strained.

My friend had it at a bar where it was made with bourbon but I think I like the cognac.

E: avion en papier?

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 16, 2021

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Yeah that’s a Paper Plane. Funny to translate it into French when it’s made with cognac, I like that.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Booties posted:

poo poo now I need a sous vide

I use mine to make limoncello in about 3 hours every couple of weeks

Yes my partner and I drink too much limoncello

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

prayer group posted:

Yeah that’s a Paper Plane. Funny to translate it into French when it’s made with cognac, I like that.

Paper plane is equal parts bourbon, aperol, amaro and lemon. This is 3 parts cognac.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I know that. loving with the proportions doesn’t make it stop being a Paper Plane at heart.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Hey there. Do you folks have any standing recommendations for drinkware? I could use some actual highball/old fashioned glasses.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

my kinda ape posted:

Their creme de banana is wonderful too. If you enjoy the smell of bananas it smells incredible. Not a ton of cocktails that use the banana though. Banana life and Yellow Submarine are both good ones. Yellow Submarine also uses creme de cacao.

That's on my wish list, I will definitely pick some up. I've hesitated because it's not going to see a ton of use but maybe I can split the bottle with a like-minded friend. Wish they sold half bottles!

Volcott posted:

Hey there. Do you folks have any standing recommendations for drinkware? I could use some actual highball/old fashioned glasses.

There are a ton of cool vintage pieces at thrift stores or consignment stores and on eBay. I would check those out before buying new. I've seen really beautiful and unique glasses out there and it's not hard to find pretty reasonably-priced sets.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Volcott posted:

We just replaced our old Collins glasses with Toyo Sasaki’s “Hard Strong” line and I’m super pleased with them. They’re tempered glass so they’re durable and machine washable, but you’d never know it from how light, thin and beautiful they are.

For rocks glasses, if you drink a lot of old fashioneds it is worth getting something large enough and round enough to easily build and stir in the glass. We use some sturdy, heavy glasses with a checkerboard inlay for this purpose, and though we have more elegant rocks glasses, these see the most use because we can have a couple of old fashioneds without having to wash the mixing glass.

For something visually striking, though, I have been eyeballing these rocks glasses for a bit. https://www.dwr.com/dinnerware-glassware/big-top-glassware/2517984.html?lang=en_US

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone mess with Milk Punch?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

parthenocarpy posted:

Oh yes. Every winter I mess with it a lot. Bourbon milk punch is my preferred, either made with vanilla ice cream or, more usually, homemade vanilla extract and syrup.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

parthenocarpy posted:

Do you mean full milk or clarified milk punch?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Volcott posted:

I love these Schott Zweisel glasses. I love both their rocks and highball glasses and have replaced them as we've broken them over the years. I think they feel really good in your hands, are nice to look at and have a good weight.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Kenning posted:

Do you mean full milk or clarified milk punch?

Not sure. It was bourbon and apple cider strained from whole milk curds. The drink was clear. I dont know a thing about this stuff but it had a milk texture and tasted wonderful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

That's almost certainly clarified milk punch then. I posted one I made up earlier in the thread. You can read more about it and the general process here.