Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:toot: Happy 20th birthday, Halo :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtEljxur6eI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I remember EB Games at our local mall had a Xbox demo with Halo setup to play the sequence where you first get the warthog. My friend and I waited an hour in line for our chance to play and I remember being floored by the graphics and presentation. Nothing else at that moment came close.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

RichterIX posted:

I have never played Dark Forces so I'm really excited for this, I hope they're able to hammer out the stuff that's still left to do.

It's amazing how good the game looks at higher resolutions, the texture work style really pops and makes the geometry look a lot more complex than it is.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I remember EB Games at our local mall had a Xbox demo with Halo setup to play the sequence where you first get the warthog. My friend and I waited an hour in line for our chance to play and I remember being floored by the graphics and presentation. Nothing else at that moment came close.

:mmmsmug:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Some nice fanart(?) by Marcus Lehto, the art director on the Bungie trilogy, to mark the occasion.
https://twitter.com/game_fabricator/status/1443041539400220674

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

20 years of going back and forth between kinda liking this series and thinking it’s overrated.:unsmith:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Halo is pretty good. Had a lot of fun with halo 2 multiplayer back in the day. I remember the halo 3 launch being a huge event and nothing has come close to how big of a deal it was. Halo 4 and 5 are butt farts and I’m only gonna play infinite because I have game pass so why not.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

New update from Lucius on Force Engine:

Well drat, good job Lucius. That's looking really good.

PC Gamer with an article on a British Duke mod.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Speaking of Dark Forces

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0GB1wdIrvI

Civvie does Jedi Knight

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Halo Infinite multiplayer shadow drop on both Xbox and Steam. Hopefully my junk computer can run it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Speaking of old FPS games, the FEAR series just got announced as working with Xbox One/Series, with FEAR and FEAR 3 running at 60fps on Series. Amazing news, I can’t wait to play the first one again!

Far Cry 3, FO:3 and FO:NV similarly got the FPS boost

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Halo Infinite multiplayer shadow drop on both Xbox and Steam. Hopefully my junk computer can run it.

I mean it runs on Xbox One right

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

I have a regular 1080 and a decent CPU and it runs at a buttery smooth 60fps on max settings.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

RichterIX posted:

I have never played Dark Forces so I'm really excited for this, I hope they're able to hammer out the stuff that's still left to do.
I’d definitely wait for the sourceport. There are bottomless pits in the game that are hard to see, and turrets that are a nightmare to hit without mouselook. Original game had look up and down options but it skewed the perspective badly when you did it and it wasn’t particularly fast either.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

There's an executable edit by some Russians (which is less shady than it sounds), also, that turns the Y-axis of your mouse movement into mouselook in actual DOS. It's basically a must-have, because trying to do vertical aiming with the keyboard keys when you're otherwise fully all-in on WASD+mouse is clumsy at best. The perspective skewing thing still applies however, just the nature of the renderer (and that of pretty much any 2.5D shooter).

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dark Forces was my first FPS. The demo was included in the Lucasarts Archives Volume 2 that I got for Christmas one year. When my cousin installed Doom on grandma’s computer so thought it was a ripoff of DF.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

I have a regular 1080 and a decent CPU and it runs at a buttery smooth 60fps on max settings.

What res?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

2560*1440, forgot to say. Pretty impressed with how solid it is.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I played through Arcane Dimensions, and in my head, it's what id would have made if they had given Quake the Doom 2 treatment for a sequel. Everything about it is great, and I love the enemies that sort of act like Pain Elementals, and they even used the same sound effects.

My only gripes are that I get lost on the gently caress-off huge maps with like 400 monsters, but otherwise it was a great time. Definitely recommended if you haven't played through it yet.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Speaking of Dark Forces

Civvie does Jedi Knight

I think Jedi Knight is very much a game where you kind of had to be there at the time to appreciate it. None of Civvie's criticisms are wrong, but at the time it was pretty wild with what it did with wide open spaces and the movement options available. The movement is definitely very weird, like the default running speed is already very fast and it becomes lightning quick with Force Speed, but it's the kind of thing that feels fantastic once it clicks.

Jedi Knight is the entire reason that I still, in 2021, use an inverted look to play FPS games.

dracula vladdy AF fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 16, 2021

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Jedi Knight was a very unique game and I hate that there's likely no market for a modern iteration. I mean the whole big levels and crazy movement aspect, not the Star Wars themed story driven game aspect. Or maybe Cruelty Squad is the closest we'll get to that sort of thing again?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I haven’t yet had time to watch the Civvie video. Jedi Knight is a flawed product of its time but I still love it. Some people aren’t crazy about the story elements but I think the game has a lot of personality. Jerec chews scenery any time he’s on screen, all the individual Dark Jedi have interesting designs and personalities, and Rahn’s commentary is a nice feature. The biggest flaw I’d say is the light or dark system being poorly implemented. You get dark side points by slicing up civilians when they’re around, and choosing dark side powers. Maybe it’s an effect of the marketing making a big deal out of it, and the implementation not living up to the blurbs, but I think it’s the most glaring flaw.

They tried to take a branch of the engine and use it for a Star Wars: Droidworks, an educational game where you build and drive droids around to teach kids about physical and mechanical concepts. But it wasn’t the best engine for a realistic physics engine. Also I think a lot of the psychics stuff was CPU bound, and given the rapid advancement CPUs were making at the time it created a lot of headaches.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I had Droidworks as a kid (and still do). It's a really fun game, I think, but the CPU issues are kind of a big problem; get a processor too fast and suddenly gentle slopes are calculated to be as steep as nearly sheer walls.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Halo Infinite is made of some real voodoo stuff considering it's both relatively tiny(with just multiplayer it's under 30 GB) and even on the low settings preset on my laptop it looks amazing and runs great once I turned Vsync off(seriously got like an 11 FPS boost by doing that)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Droidworks seems like a concept that should be revisited now that physics engines have been around forever. I’m surprised it hasn’t been. I think it would be a hit.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
bringing up droidworks just reminds me of How Stuff Works and i wonder if that has any goofy side effects from losing into a new computer

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jehde posted:

Jedi Knight was a very unique game and I hate that there's likely no market for a modern iteration. I mean the whole big levels and crazy movement aspect, not the Star Wars themed story driven game aspect. Or maybe Cruelty Squad is the closest we'll get to that sort of thing again?

Jedi Knight is kind of too surreal to fly in the modern market yeah, I think you need weird small money stuff like Cruelty Squad for that kind of “sprint so fast you run into a wall and instantly die” vibe. Maybe a mech game or something

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I remember I started Jedi Knight like five years ago and made it to Baron's Hed before I dropped it. Upgraded to Windows 10 since then, so it looks like it won't run on its own anymore (need whatever fixes for it). I've beaten it before (years ago, when I had a disc copy).

What I hate about Jedi Knight is that it has some of the most confusing level design I've ever seen. I can't think of any other game where I just got hopelessly lost, and had to look up a walkthrough or something to figure out how to proceed with the level. Same goes for the other games in the series: I've not played Dark Forces 1, but I remember Civvie showcasing that sewer level, which looks like a pain. I know I got stuck on Outcast's first mission when I tried playing it (I missed some tunnel that's underneath a grating or something). Jedi Academy was probably the most straightforward, but I still recall one or two bits where it took me a bit to find a switch to open a door or something.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I bought and played through all the games in the Dark Forces lineage a while back. Dark Forces is the one most clearly in need of an update, the low resolution and control issues really hamper what is generally a cool game with some really impressive engine poo poo and fantastic atmosphere. Jedi Knight is pretty tough to get through, it has aged the worst probably. Jedi Outcast is probably the best overall of the games, even though AGAIN you start it as a FPS and have to wait a while to get your saber and jedi powers. Jedi Academy has some nice replayability in that you can make a different custom character and pick some different levels, and it's nice that you more or less start as a jedi but the levels are all around a little worse.

The best way to play Jedi Outcast is to cheat heavily to get yourself full jedi powers and a saber right at the start, and also turn on the 'realistic lightsaber damage' flag that lets you just absolutely tear through everybody with limbs flying off everywhere. And then when you get bored spawn in a couple dozen Lukes to go apeshit for you.

edit I take it back, the Mara Jade expansion for Jedi Knight is the worst, that poo poo sucks and I couldn't finish it

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I never played any of the Forces/Jedi games after Forces since the lightsaber stuff kinda turned me off. I don’t want to be a Jedi but maybe I’ll give them a try sometime.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Speaking of Dark Forces

Civvie does Jedi Knight

One thing I appreciate Civvie is how he doesn't exaggerate his own skill. It's somehow deeply satisfying seeing Katarn face-down dead even as Civ is talking up how bad rear end he is.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don’t find most of Jedi Knight’s level to be too bad. The fuel ship levels have issues, especially the last time you’re on the ship, but I’ve seen much worse. Mysteries of the Sith’s level design kind of goes off a Cliff once you hit Dromund Kaas though. Computers weren’t really up to depicting a realistic swamp in 3D at the time so it’s a dark, confusing mess.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Dromund Kaas is dark and confusing but a lot of Jedi Knight levels are dark and confusing (those loving mine tunnels on the second world in Jedi Outcast, holy gently caress). Where Dromund Kaas really falls down is on top of the dark and confusion and a bunch of weird puzzles, all the enemies two-shot you from full health

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I only ever played Jedi Academy, but I had a good time. Are there any good campaign mods for it?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I never really got the hang of lightsaber combat either.

Dark Forces and Jedi Knight got a trilogy of graphicalish novels from Dark Horse. They weren’t comics but there were a lot of paintings of what was going on in each book. These also got turned into audio dramas, and I copied the library’s tapes and listened to them a bunch.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

One thing I appreciate Civvie is how he doesn't exaggerate his own skill. It's somehow deeply satisfying seeing Katarn face-down dead even as Civ is talking up how bad rear end he is.

It's also just super nostalgic to see Katarn do that same flop and make the same death yell that's been burned into my memory.

I finally watched the video, and while Civvie's lack of experience definitely comes through to bias his opinion, he still appropriately notes the ups and downs. The kell dragon punch outs make the video worthwhile alone.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I loving loved Jedi Knight back in the days (didn't play the expansion) and I'm not a star wars fan.

I replayed it a decade ago with various fixes to make it run on Win7 and still liked it despite not aging that well but the big rear end maps, weapons, sound, music all made for it.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Speaking of old FPS games,

Mods, please add this to the start of every post ITT

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Buying me some Timesplitters and getting a good new Halo, todays a good day to be ancient and turning into dust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

Buying me some Timesplitters and getting a good new Halo, todays a good day to be ancient and turning into dust

I booted up Timesplitters 3 on Series X last night, it looked and ran amazingly well. I can't wait to run through it co-op with my brother over Christmas, we played it on the original Xbox last year but the disk was scratched and kept crashing at the fourth level. The weapons models still look great.