Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I don’t have a problem with the gallows at protests however this one from overnight is looking a bit more serious. The others seemed to be toys and props, and I understand that, but this is someone spending time, effort and materials knocking up the real deal, loading it into the trailer and driving it up to parliament on a Monday night for a small group of their comrades.

I feel like the violence is in the wind with this mob, blowing in. They are just going to keep one upping themselves until it goes too far. I don’t think anyone will be hanged but I am expecting something bad is going to happen.
https://twitter.com/sarkysage/status/1460274856491028483

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
They're amending the bill.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the problem isn't "oh is the gallows functional or full-size" it's that it normalises the ideas of violence being used against politicians you don't like, or that the situation in Victoria is somehow so bad as to warrant reintroducing death by hanging

also the target audience for them isn't people with great critical reasoning abilities. it's for those dancing around the edges of qanon stuff and just need a lil' push to embrace it wholeheartedly

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 15, 2021

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

In keeping with our constant need to mimic every dumbass trend of the USA I look forward to the protestors storming parliament.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Trade Unionists already did that 25 years ago.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

DRINK ME posted:

I don’t have a problem with the gallows at protests however this one from overnight is looking a bit more serious. The others seemed to be toys and props, and I understand that, but this is someone spending time, effort and materials knocking up the real deal, loading it into the trailer and driving it up to parliament on a Monday night for a small group of their comrades.

I feel like the violence is in the wind with this mob, blowing in. They are just going to keep one upping themselves until it goes too far. I don’t think anyone will be hanged but I am expecting something bad is going to happen.

See, this one has a trap door and could be considered functional enough to strangle someone to death. The next place up from here is to string up an actual person. The bonkers guy who made that thing doesn't understand symbolism, he went and made the most realistic gallows he could when a cardboard one would have done.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

what the heck is this?

That the point you made was a fair one. Especially in light of erecting a functional gallows. I'm still not sure that there's much of a difference between the left and the right bringing gallows/guillotines to protests, which is making me reconsider whether guillotines at protests is that funny. Because it functionally is a call to violence for people who are disposed towards violence against state actors as a means of political action.

The edit was just a silly joke, that wasn't targetted at you.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Konomex posted:

See, this one has a trap door and could be considered functional enough to strangle someone to death. The next place up from here is to string up an actual person. The bonkers guy who made that thing doesn't understand symbolism, he went and made the most realistic gallows he could when a cardboard one would have done.

It's possible that they fully understand symbolism and they really hope that their gallows gets to see some use. That way, they can at some point say "I built that, I was the one who ~changed history~".

Many of them who fully believe that someone like Dan Andrews is a communist dictator allied with the CCP would probably consider it heroic to 'rescue' their state from his control.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
We can say they're reprehensible dickheads without saying they should be in prison for putting wood together in an illegal shape.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I think we're overthinking this in the extreme. It's important to call out these right-wing threats so people don't make false equivalences with the left - don't forget the right happily talk about running down peaceful protestors.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

The Artificial Kid posted:

We can say they're reprehensible dickheads without saying they should be in prison for putting wood together in an illegal shape.

The plaugerats should be in prison for protesting during a pandemic.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

DRINK ME posted:

its a joke until its not. the australian right wing imports everything directly from the us at an ever decreasing delay. theyre on the same trajectory just a couple of years behind

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Man, I never liked how closely we aped the yanks but it's getting worse and somehow grosser

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Why the red ensign?

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
That is some ugly swag.

I might be overreacting, this morning it was just a bit too much and kind of got the better of me but no matter what happens, I don’t think these shits will stop until they’re forced to. If Dan retired tomorrow, if the bill they’re (supposedly) protesting is stopped, etc.

They’re getting all the attention they want and don’t seem to have any other pressing engagements. Maybe a tent city on the steps or in one of the gardens where they can “protect democracy” every day, build a permanent gallows or just throw ropes over branches and have mock lynchings and bonfires every night.

It really is just depressingly like American politics, as you’re all pointing out. I probably just need to take another break from looking at news and Twitter for a bit, work on my own poo poo instead.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
An observation;
I have worked in a government department for several years.

Anyone who has worked in government decision making has almost certainly heard the phrase "the Herald Sun test" (i.e if this decision was made public, what would the Herald Sun say about it).

There is also the "pub test", but for all intents and purposes, they are the same.

My point is, this is a really insidious way Murdoch controls government. It's not even about what his papers HAVE written. There's an acknowledged fear of what he WOULD say that quite manifestedly shapes policy.

And for the record, I have literally never heard anyone say "the Guardian/ABC/Age test". It's always the Herald Sun.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

There should be more consequences for the loonies like Credlin and Kelly attending these events. Gives them legitimacy

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Me listening to Greens MPs speak in Parliament: Why the gently caress do I vote for these bozos again?
Me listening to Labor MPs speak in Parliament: Ohhhhhh, now I remember.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
People unironically holding Trump flags in Australia have a mental illness and I don't mean that in a facetious way. There's literally something wrong with them and they need help

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

abigserve posted:

People unironically holding Trump flags in Australia have a mental illness and I don't mean that in a facetious way. There's literally something wrong with them and they need help

The cure is log off. But they will never log off.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

abigserve posted:

Irony poisoning has created a global army of idiots.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

JBP posted:

The cure is log off. But they will never log off.

It's interesting that a lot (most???) of these people aren't really the picture of the terminally online, but this sort of extremist content is so accessible it gets em anyway

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know what Gina Reinhardt's latest brainfart about the Age Pension might be? I assume it's raising the age to 100 or something to keep geriatrics in the workforce.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

abigserve posted:

It's interesting that a lot (most???) of these people aren't really the picture of the terminally online, but this sort of extremist content is so accessible it gets em anyway

I'd argue they are absolutely the terminally online. They don't get news and information from anywhere but the algorithm and social groups they're funneled into on the internet. It happened to my aunty and uncle and it will happen to you, forums poster!

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

abigserve posted:

I wouldn't classify it as a mental illness issue, at least not on the individual level. I think that for all the talk of 'fair go' and 'larrikinism', settler Australians don't have any foundation in our national culture. It's a patchwork of symbols and phrases poorly fastened together by an accent. There's barely anything on the surface and nothing beneath it. What values are unique to us, what themes and aesthetics are exclusively and identifiably (again, settler) Australian? Bereft of any unique culture through which we can filter cultural influence from the outside world, we just absorb that influence. Being a predominately anglophone country, our geographic proximity towards America relative to the other anglophone cultural power in the UK, and the overwhelming dominance of American culture on the internet means that we're primarily influenced by one source.

So of course anyone inclined towards reaction and right wing politics in Australia will start using right-wing cultural touchstones from America. We're not producing anything new over here, and honestly we're not even trying!

(In fairness, this goes both ways: there's a reason why protests over the treatment of indigenous citizens in incarceration emerge after the protests over George Floyd's murder kick off in America. You and I are not immune to this.)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Anidav finally wrote a good less bad article

https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...5acc90566834ab8

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cool, now let's make him live there for three months and see if we can get him full in on luxury space communism.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

This is pretty much a perfect encapsulation of exactly what is wrong with the media environment. This rear end in a top hat has been platformed for years calling for welfare cuts and poor bashing without a single iota of understanding or exposure to it, and the second he actually bothers to learn a single thing (not at his own behest mind, because someone else made the loving effort to invite this incurious slime mould) he suddenly changes his view.

loving incredible, I wonder what the gently caress else you are glaringly wrong about Caleb you god drat loving rube. Now to give you personal experience of literally every other aspect of Australian life you are totally insulated from so that you will bother to give a single poo poo about anyone.

EDIT: Amazing that years later he has a perfectly punchable personality to go with his platonic ideal of a punchable face.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

quote:

I would not previously have advocated for raising the rate of JobSeeker. And I still don’t believe that raising the rate, in and of itself, is a silver bullet to improve the lives of those on welfare.

But it is one potential cog in a system that ought to be completely rebuilt.

yeah it's going to be a lot easier to overhaul the entire system, change hearts and minds, and rebuild it from the ground up instead of just giving them more loving money caleb you bork

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm not exactly well read on Caleb Bond but from my understanding of him I'm surprised he conceded anything at all

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Everything you need to know about Caleb's views you can immediately tell just from looking at a picture of his face.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

hooman posted:

This is pretty much a perfect encapsulation of exactly what is wrong with the media environment. This rear end in a top hat has been platformed for years calling for welfare cuts and poor bashing without a single iota of understanding or exposure to it, and the second he actually bothers to learn a single thing (not at his own behest mind, because someone else made the loving effort to invite this incurious slime mould) he suddenly changes his view.

loving incredible, I wonder what the gently caress else you are glaringly wrong about Caleb you god drat loving rube. Now to give you personal experience of literally every other aspect of Australian life you are totally insulated from so that you will bother to give a single poo poo about anyone.

EDIT: Amazing that years later he has a perfectly punchable personality to go with his platonic ideal of a punchable face.

:hmmyes:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hobbies: pocket squares & fountain pens

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.vice.com/en/article/dp55pm/the-strange-world-of-a-teenage-conservative-political-commentator

The interview with 15 year old Caleb Bond is something else.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Everything you need to know about Caleb's views you can immediately tell just from looking at a picture of his face.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mods?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Mods asleep, post big Daisy.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Daisy hasn't come up in a while what's it about? The Rittenhouse trial?

E: oh just Caleb and Daisy dream match, I remember

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 17, 2021

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Do Sky News not have a makeup team or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Its weird knowing that the barrier to a successful career as a conservative pundit is to be just slightly more put together than a 16 year old in an oversized suit