Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/ClimateRealists/status/1460384005958819844?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

refresh my memory, this was suggested because it sped up but didn't have a normal comet's tail right?

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
The absolute dumbest time to claim strongly there are no aliens is after the government admits there are in the way only governments can.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
the only reason it's portrayed as being a long prong of rock is because of the brightness changes, right? like we never got a direct visual of it.

why don't they show it as being an sphere with a light and dark side? like iapetus. seems more likely than the prong to me.

if it's not a probe.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

My favorite part is when they call it cigar-shaped

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mola Yam posted:

the only reason it's portrayed as being a long prong of rock is because of the brightness changes, right? like we never got a direct visual of it.

why don't they show it as being an sphere with a light and dark side? like iapetus. seems more likely than the prong to me.

if it's not a probe.

yes, we have absolutely no clue about its visual characteristics beyond reflectivity. it's portrayed as a long rock because that is by far the most boring possible depiction, also the least likely, but one that doesn't ruffle anyone's feathers and is understood (by astronomers) to be a placeholder for whatever exotic object it really is. that's not how it was sold in the media at the time because the long rock hadn't yet been ruled out.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

it's probably just a coincidence that its appearance happens to correspond so closely to the uptick in disclosure discussion

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Avi Loeb cites a guy in his book who studied whether Oumuamua is oblong or actually disc shaped and it just looked oblong from it's angle relative to earth. the guy concluded that it was more likely to be a disc than cigar shaped

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

refresh my memory, this was suggested because it sped up but didn't have a normal comet's tail right?

yes

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Spergin Morlock posted:

Avi Loeb cites a guy in his book who studied whether Oumuamua is actually oblong or actually disc shaped and it just looked oblong from it's angle relative to earth. the guy concluded that it was more likely to be a disc than cigar shaped

it's also super weird to remember that somehow all of our telescopes and instruments and scientists missed it on approach and only saw it leaving
weird that it happened and definitely not some aliens doing a dropoff

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

no joke though I've just Oumuamua-pilled myself over the last hour reading about all this again with fresh eyes it's hosed

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

no joke though I've just Oumuamua-pilled myself over the last hour reading about all this again with fresh eyes it's hosed

My thought was that they miss stuff like this all the time, and the only reason Oumie was seen more than once was because they knew they area to look in.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It was a spaceship

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Inspector Hound posted:

My favorite part is when they call it cigar-shaped

Sometimes a cigar is just a mothership

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

no matter what it is its an unprecedented event in space observation and thats cool as heck. I bow before oumaumua. Heaven's Gate was weak, lmao oooh a boring rear end comet must be a spaceship, I'll be over here ogling the giant cigar solar sail alien relic zipping through the solar system without a single gently caress given

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Take two tic tacs and call :tinylue: in the morning

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
“Hey Zxerblag, this is the system with the L3 meat biped planet right? The one with the good music?”

“Yeah, why?”

“Heh, this should shake things up.”

*taps accelerator*

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

yeah if oumuamua interests you, get avi loeb's book. he drives home exactly how weird it is (extremely weird)

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I was just walkin' around in the months after it happened like :byodood:

Inspector Hound posted:

It was a spaceship

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Yes, ok, sounds good. But why not show all of this evidence? Where are those hi res images already?

"believe me, it's real" yeah righto mate :rolleyes:

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

so if the tic tacs can hit relativistic speeds based on their mega G accelerations you'd have to consider why is anyone using a light sail to make it to sol? then you gotta think it was tumbling when it hit our solar system, it wasn't aligned. if the tictacs are already here, would they just murk some nosy rear end light sail civ on their way into the system? was Oumuamua just the blasted husk of another extrasolar civ's attempt to see what's going on in this wacky place?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

toggle posted:

Yes, ok, sounds good. But why not show all of this evidence? Where are those hi res images already?

bcus he would have to steal this evidence from the government which is why he works very hard at advocating for government disclosure

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

toggle posted:

presumably the high res poo poo is in the possession of the military, where it's always been. It's stuff Elizondo would have seen in the past, and no longer has access to, assuming hes not currently part of some bird psyOP. Also, if it's classified he wouldn't be able to share it anyways without getting zapped by some alien rear end melting gun and having it blamed on chinese shart cannons.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

my bony fealty posted:

is this "Monroe hemisync gateway experience" the thing I should be trying, and can it be listened to while doing repetitive physical activity like running on a treadmill or is it important to close your eyes in a quiet place while doing nothing else or somesuch

The latter. It’s basically guided meditation.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

My money is on mk ultra conditioning for joyriding aliens

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Marzzle posted:

so if the tic tacs can hit relativistic speeds based on their mega G accelerations you'd have to consider why is anyone using a light sail to make it to sol? then you gotta think it was tumbling when it hit our solar system, it wasn't aligned. if the tictacs are already here, would they just murk some nosy rear end light sail civ on their way into the system? was Oumuamua just the blasted husk of another extrasolar civ's attempt to see what's going on in this wacky place?

Fact is, we are just lousy with aliens here

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Fact is, we are just lousy with aliens here

tictacs seem pretty territorial if true. wonder what had them so worried about someone that could make a lousy low tech light sail that even the homicidal ape species could understand the operation of

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Futurama and the sleeping eye of the beholder bureaucrat that wakes up and ginds its weird experiment has been tainted and the boss is gonna be pissed

The tictac alien story

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Jazerus posted:

yeah if oumuamua interests you, get avi loeb's book. he drives home exactly how weird it is (extremely weird)

Just ordered it. My reading material backlog is already way too long but oh well why the gently caress not, this'll be a nice break from an extremely in depth history of the B&O's west virginia trackage.

(I mean, extremely in depth. The book I have is West of Cumberland, https://www.amazon.com/West-Cumberland-Book-Main-Line/dp/1495169871, and it's as large and thick as a textbook and volume 1 of 3. If you ever wanted painstakingly collected and recorded interviews with what appears to be every railroad worker to ever even slightly interact with a given route, this is the book for you. Not bird related, but trains are just as cool as birds.)

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Highly suggest you get Avi Loeb's book.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

it's a quick, easy read. only like 200 some pages

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
lol people still coming in here goon-splaining the fermi paradox to the thread when we are so far past that we have moved on to practicing guided meditation suggested by old CIA documents

if you're not a talking crystal hydra from the astral plane i'm not interested in your hot takes lmao

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

personally i think its good timing to goonsplain the fermi paradox several years after everyone started getting that one kurgesatz video recommended to them on youtube

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Pontificating rear end posted:

My thought was that they miss stuff like this all the time, and the only reason Oumie was seen more than once was because they knew they area to look in.
There's a decent chance we'll never figure out for sure what it is, but yeah, we almost certainly miss a lot of stuff and should definitely be looking for more.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I noticed that The Debrief, one of the podcasts that interviewed Lue has only been posting videos for about a year. Same with Cristina Gomez, one of the hosts, on her own channel. Not sure it means anything just thought it was interesting.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Gomez is a little babby zoomer so not that weird, just new blood

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Just started reading "American Cosmic" and it's good so far. The author's a theologian and is making the case that ufology is essentially the world's newest religion, where contacts and sightings are holy events and technology is the cypher by which we both give the phenomena meaning and spread word of it to one another.

Dude linked up with a guy who worked on Challenger that's probably a spook who claims to receive "downloads" from extraterrestrial intelligences that help him formulate advanced biomedical technology and he's now scouring what's strongly implied to be the Roswell crash site with him for meta materials. It's Chapter 2 lol.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Objurium posted:

Just started reading "American Cosmic" and it's good so far. The author's a theologian and is making the case that ufology is essentially the world's newest religion, where contacts and sightings are holy events and technology is the cypher by which we both give the phenomena meaning and spread word of it to one another.

Dude linked up with a guy who worked on Challenger that's probably a spook who claims to receive "downloads" from extraterrestrial intelligences that help him formulate advanced biomedical technology and he's now scouring what's strongly implied to be the Roswell crash site with him for meta materials. It's Chapter 2 lol.

oh poo poo

goin on the pile

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

I spend every other minute of every hour not in this thread drowned by the crushing indifference of realistic pragmatism and the science of reality telling us how the world is going to burn down, tip over, and sink into the swamp

I don't think anyone in here is unfamiliar with the rational perspective of the world, but that's not what makes the UFO thread fun

further evidence that riot bimbo truly captured the essence of this thread

Riot Bimbo posted:

Electoral politics is a dead end the worlds falling apart im gonna indulge insane poo poo till i die now sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/newsmax/status/1460518004630851584
https://twitter.com/ATCA_now/status/1460345039062593536

Pooky has issued a correction as of 09:48 on Nov 16, 2021