Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

silvergoose posted:

Local smallish con, highlight of the year every year, everyone required to have proof of vax and heavily encouraged masks.

Scout: Absolute gem. Ladder game with bohnanza style can’t reorder your hand, and a cool hand management aspect. Great.
Medici: Never played this classic Knizia before, played at 6p and it was awesome. Pure auction.
1846 with Eric Brosius and Joe Huber: 4p game, snappy under 2 hours, I came in 3rd, scores ending at 6629, 6287, 6072 (me), 4073. It was amazing to play in person, only my second time playing 18xx in person.

You got to play '46 with Brosius?? He's up there with JC for BGG train famousness.

I've had Medici in my basement unplayed since the reprint, you'll have me cracking it now.

Never heard of Scout, searching for it ASAP...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

FulsomFrank posted:

You got to play '46 with Brosius?? He's up there with JC for BGG train famousness.

I've had Medici in my basement unplayed since the reprint, you'll have me cracking it now.

Never heard of Scout, searching for it ASAP...

I sure loving did. It was a great time, I started nyc and ran hot but couldn't get to Chicago and petered out around perms, so I fell behind once they started Erie and CO to get grays. Loads of fun.

Medici is from what I understand 5-6p only, but it's very fast, hard to find a game in that space!

Scout was absolutely fabulous yeah.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Thanks for all your amazing suggestions, for DUNC SNAX. I couldn't actually do all the things I wanted to because I ended up having to work a bunch of the weekend but, did make some liquid spice vials (Pumpkin spice syrup) to enhance my gingerbread Maker, as well as some water of life. (A clarified milk punch of star anise, cinnamon, cloves and a bunch of other stuff, that I somewhat ruined the clarification of by putting blue food colouring in, lol).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Finished hostage negotiator:career. Found it super easy, only lost three or four people (maximum is 34) and some of them were unavoidable effects. The ending of year 10 is a call back to year five…and may be the stupidest ending in board games. There is absolutely nothing in years 1 to 4 or 6 to 9 that hints at it. Luckily, there are two alternate finales where you either negotiate to stop a nuclear war or run for police chief.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 15, 2021

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Was Rise of Queensdale a decent legacy game?

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Jedit posted:

Red 7 is bad if you use the "Advanced Rules" and a fine quick filler with finite duration if you don't. It's definitely a working iteration of Fluxx, until you try to make it more like Fluxx.

My suggested way to play it is with the advanced rules but without keeping score. I dunno what Carl was thinking with the score-keeping rules, honestly. The game is a bit long in the tooth for a filler game as-is.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

https://hollandspiele.com/

Hollandspiele sale is live, big boxes are $5 off, 10% off orders over $100, and if you order two games you get this guy

Last chance to get Meltwater and Bitskrieg before they go OOP/to a different publisher.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Yep, Meltwater's going away for a little while. So if you want a copy, this is your last chance.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Pretty cool it's being picked up by a bigger publisher though. Gonna order me a copy though, even if shipping to Australia is rough.

Ended picking up Meltwater, Nicaea, Escape From Hades and The Field of the Cloth of Gold. Can't wait to get my hands on these.

It's an expensive week for shipping for me because I picked up Psycho Raiders and Sea Evil from https://www.cave-evil.com too but every since I watched a few Halloween streams of them I can't get them out of my mind.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 15, 2021

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Pretty cool it's being picked up by a bigger publisher though. Gonna order me a copy though, even if shipping to Australia is rough.

Ended picking up Meltwater, Nicaea, Escape From Hades and The Field of the Cloth of Gold. Can't wait to get my hands on these.

It's an expensive week for shipping for me because I picked up Psycho Raiders and Sea Evil from https://www.cave-evil.com too but every since I watched a few Halloween streams of them I can't get them out of my mind.

Love to hear some opinions or experiences in the Cave Evil stable of games - heard so many good reports but when I look at the store and photos of the games, I wonder if anyone I know will play them, if the monochrome colours will irritate me, if they'll be all theme over gameplay.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

gutterdaughter posted:

Yep, Meltwater's going away for a little while. So if you want a copy, this is your last chance.

Really pulling for some good news in the future around it!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Infinitum posted:

Crosspostin Da Dealz

...I'm probably gonna get it.

I think I’m missing it but where’s the info for free international shipping for western empires? Have someone who might be interested and I know a lot of these backer sites only collect shipping once the product is ready to be shipped. They just want to make sure it’s actually free and the banner might only mean free shipping for eastern empires.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

Hollandspiele sale is live, big boxes are $5 off, 10% off orders over $100, and if you order two games you get this guy

Last chance to get Meltwater and Bitskrieg before they go OOP/to a different publisher.

I asked my wife to get me stuff off my wishlist and a wildcard item during this sale.

She just informed me that she spent way too much money and I'm stoked.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Golden Bee posted:

Finished hostage negotiator:career. Found it super easy, only lost three or four people (maximum is 34) and some of them were unavoidable effects. The ending of year 10 is a call back to year five…and may be the stupidest ending in board games. There is absolutely nothing in years 1 to 4 or 6 to 9 that hints at it. Luckily, there are two alternate finales where you either negotiate to stop a nuclear war or run for police chief.

I looked into the career version of hostage negotiatior and you need the base game + expansion + seven addional abductor packs before buying the career campaign. So what I'm curious about is Hostage Negotiatior: Career easy or easy for someone who's played it 50+ times

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Street Horrrsing posted:

I looked into the career version of hostage negotiatior and you need the base game + expansion + seven addional abductor packs before buying the career campaign. So what I'm curious about is Hostage Negotiatior: Career easy or easy for someone who's played it 50+ times

I mean, maybe I'm just dumb or something, but the only EASY games of Hostage Negotiator, career or otherwise, that I've ever played were the product of extremely good dice luck. I enjoyed it and absolutely felt like I got my money's worth (I have everything sans a few promos).

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

!Klams posted:

Thanks for all your amazing suggestions, for DUNC SNAX. I couldn't actually do all the things I wanted to because I ended up having to work a bunch of the weekend but, did make some liquid spice vials (Pumpkin spice syrup) to enhance my gingerbread Maker, as well as some water of life. (A clarified milk punch of star anise, cinnamon, cloves and a bunch of other stuff, that I somewhat ruined the clarification of by putting blue food colouring in, lol).

Next time fill a glove with icy hot and ask people to put their hand in it while you hold the gom jabbar to their neck.

This may seem a bit extreme for a game night, but my other suggestions for Bene Gesserit all involve eugenics and marrying your cousins, so I think this is the best option.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?
Looking for Hollandspiele recommendations, as I’m making a Christmas list. I have:

Table battles, base
This guiltily land
Supply lines, both versions
Meltwater

I’m locked in on getting:
Nicea
Field of the cloth of gold

I like wargames and train games, so nothing from the catalog is off the list. Any must buys?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Street Horrrsing posted:

2nd time play inc a practice game. So it was games #2-8 plus finale.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

SelenicMartian posted:

not missing it this year, getting me escape from hades, district commander binh dinh, and maybe bitskrieg

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Hollandspiele not selling from their site to the EU/UK is a real shame. The reseller they use seems to come with a huge mark up and minimal holiday discounts so I guess I'm not taking a punt on their games. The Field of the Cloth of Gold keeps coming up in recommendations but as it stands I can't really justify it. Taxes ruin everything.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Jimbozig posted:

Next time fill a glove with icy hot and ask people to put their hand in it while you hold the gom jabbar to their neck.

This may seem a bit extreme for a game night, but my other suggestions for Bene Gesserit all involve eugenics and marrying your cousins, so I think this is the best option.

I did, I have a mtg box that looks quite a good bit like the box from the new film, and I put ice in it! You can only fit a couple of fingers in the slot (it's like, the bit you open it by) so many dick jokes were made. I was gonna make a gom jabbar with a thimble and needle, but knew I'd just end up finding it annoying to wear and kinda dangerous.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Redundant posted:

Hollandspiele not selling from their site to the EU/UK is a real shame. The reseller they use seems to come with a huge mark up and minimal holiday discounts so I guess I'm not taking a punt on their games. The Field of the Cloth of Gold keeps coming up in recommendations but as it stands I can't really justify it. Taxes ruin everything.

Amabel Holland has noted that HS doesn't sell direct to any EU retailers because none of them are willing to accept the terms that are necessary to not take a loss.

Shipping is expensive as gently caress, it's not taxes per se.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Was thinking about getting a lighter game my wife might like and was thinking Wingspan. I played once and it was fun, but I think I remember it was getting some hate. Was that real or not? It's well reviewed on all the big sites at least.

I've seen some posts comparing Everdell to it, so maybe that's worth exploring?

On the other end of the spectrum, I'm just hearing about Oath since I haven't been following boardgames recently. My group played through Gloomhaven, KDM, and Pandemic Legacies so maybe this is a good choice. Not as much campaign, but I see the persistent mechanics. I would just hope they get into it as much since it's not co-op.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

KingKapalone posted:

Was thinking about getting a lighter game my wife might like and was thinking Wingspan. I played once and it was fun, but I think I remember it was getting some hate. Was that real or not? It's well reviewed on all the big sites at least.

Wingspan is definitely a light game, but there's not enough game there to justify the length and fiddliness of play unless you really, really like birds. Less overhyped light games that I've enjoyed are PARKS and Canvas.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It gets an unwarranted amount of hate in more heavy board game circles, but it's not a particularly bad game, it's just, mechanically, not very engaging. It's hot a market row, which is already a strike against it, and a lot of random elements.

It's one of those games I couldn't really see anyone getting 'good' at, due to its nature, and that's enough for some people to dislike it, but it's a fine enough game to throw down some birds, get eggs, score points.

Edit: seconding that rec of PARKS though.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I like Wingspan more than the consensus, I think -- I enjoy the challenge of assembling an engine without knowing what all my components will be and having to adjust on the fly -- but it is admittedly more random than it should be.

I agree that Parks is the superior game, except as a 2P game, where I find it to be weighted against the second player (even with the camera). One house rule that has improved it as a 2P game is automatically choosing the "Parks" chevron as the first season's trail chevron, but I'd still pick Wingspan over Parks as a 2P game by a slim margin.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Where is meltwater going?

Might be worth waiting if it’s getting 500 minis and giant printed board…

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Ropes4u posted:

Where is meltwater going?

Might be worth waiting if it’s getting 500 minis and giant printed board…

Undisclosed, if anywhere yet.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I think Wingspan is a great game for non-hobbyists, or people new to the hobby. If someone plays boardgames like 6-12 times a year, they will probably love Wingspan and all its bits. If you play games 4+ hours every week, and have for the last 10 years (covid excepting), you probably won’t like wingspan because it’s a pretty shallow game and after 3-5 plays you will have seen everything it has to offer.

There’s always going to be varying tastes, but this is a thread mostly full of the latter rather than the former, so Wingspan gets dumped on here

E: not trying to say it’s an entry level game, there’s no such thing. Anyone can learn any game if they are motivated to do so. Wingspan looks nice and has cool bits so there’s a certain factor of that when you crack the box. Root has the same thing. 1830 does not!

Fellis fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 16, 2021

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

nonathlon posted:

Love to hear some opinions or experiences in the Cave Evil stable of games - heard so many good reports but when I look at the store and photos of the games, I wonder if anyone I know will play them, if the monochrome colours will irritate me, if they'll be all theme over gameplay.

Looks like I may never know. Apparently the very high shipping costs I was quoted was for USPS which has suspended service to Australia at the moment and DHL is quoting 4x-5x the price.

I have no idea if they will see much playtime but I enjoy them for the artifacts they are and if I bust them out once a year on Halloween I feel like it would be worth it.

silvergoose posted:

Undisclosed, if anywhere yet.

And based on the blog post about it, it might be a long while before it becomes available again but it's all speculation.

Based on my experience with the Cave Evil guys I worry that Hollandspiele is gonna run into problems shipping to Australia too and I'm not going to get my games from them either...

Carillon
May 9, 2014

My problem with the Hollandspiele games is that I think they all look pretty amazing but no one else in my gaming circle is generally weird enough like I am to get excited about turning the Council of Nicaea or the crafting of the treaty of Westphalia to play them on the table.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Wingspan is a fine, if minor game. It got crazily hyped before and at release so part of the criticism is backlash. It's definitely light and runs a bit long, but it's a peaceful interesting little puzzle. I heard the expansions might shake it up a bit. Parks (and it's evil twin Trails) is a good alternative.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What is the appeal of Meltwater out of curiosity, I don't have an interest in it.

Chill la Chill posted:

I think I’m missing it but where’s the info for free international shipping for western empires? Have someone who might be interested and I know a lot of these backer sites only collect shipping once the product is ready to be shipped. They just want to make sure it’s actually free and the banner might only mean free shipping for eastern empires.

I just added it as a test. Was able to get all the way before payment with no shipping costs.

I am fairly confident there won't be a shipping cost for Western.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Infinitum posted:

What is the appeal of Meltwater out of curiosity, I don't have an interest in it.

I can only speak for myself but it is a claustrophobic, tight, hex based wargame for 2 players that covers a very interesting, if grim and depressing topic. It is also a bit of an art piece, the message behind it about the futility of nationalism, unchecked military spending and nuclear war.

Will I play it often? Almost certainly not. Do I want to own it because it is interesting? Hell yeah.

Plus I'm pretty sure it was made by a goon.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

KingKapalone posted:

On the other end of the spectrum, I'm just hearing about Oath since I haven't been following boardgames recently. My group played through Gloomhaven, KDM, and Pandemic Legacies so maybe this is a good choice. Not as much campaign, but I see the persistent mechanics. I would just hope they get into it as much since it's not co-op.

Oath isn’t co-op but losing doesn’t feel bad because even if you don’t win you likely impacted the next game, and probably had a lot of clutch moments before being just short of victory. It’s very hard to be stomped completely in that game.

Wingspan is fun and pretty but it’s a game that’s almost designed to be played with non board game enthusiasts. After a handful of games you’re probably through it

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

How about Cascadia or Calico they're both pretty neat games, don't overstay their welcome and are genuinely good games as well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

Wingspan is definitely a light game, but there's not enough game there to justify the length and fiddliness of play unless you really, really like birds. Less overhyped light games that I've enjoyed are PARKS and Canvas.

I'd agree with this assessment of Wingspan, and add Iquazu and Dream Home to the list of "pretty and engaging light games". Fast Sloths as well, if your definition of "light" is "simple enough for kids to play, not easy enough for kids to win".

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I can only speak for myself but it is a claustrophobic, tight, hex based wargame for 2 players that covers a very interesting, if grim and depressing topic. It is also a bit of an art piece, the message behind it about the futility of nationalism, unchecked military spending and nuclear war.

Will I play it often? Almost certainly not. Do I want to own it because it is interesting? Hell yeah.

Plus I'm pretty sure it was made by a goon.

Our very own Gutter Owl, yep. And yeah, it’s rare that a game works so well as both an art piece and a tight, quick two player abstract.

My first game ended with a single civilian unit left alive, and I’ve been chasing that high since.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Mighty Eris posted:

Our very own Gutter Owl, yep. And yeah, it’s rare that a game works so well as both an art piece and a tight, quick two player abstract.

My first game ended with a single civilian unit left alive, and I’ve been chasing that high since.

My first game ended with 2 soldiers. One shot the other and then he died to radiation sickness or something. No one else was left alive. What a game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

nonathlon posted:

Wingspan is a fine, if minor game. It got crazily hyped before and at release so part of the criticism is backlash. It's definitely light and runs a bit long, but it's a peaceful interesting little puzzle. I heard the expansions might shake it up a bit. Parks (and it's evil twin Trails) is a good alternative.

Yeah, I think a large part of the criticism is because it won a bunch of awards, and it won awards in categories that people didn't think it fell under. So there was kind of a laser focus on "Is this the best strategy game of the year? I don't think so!" And then a lot of people joined in "Best family game sure, but I don't think it's a good 'STRATEGY' game!" And also, a lot of people jumping on that with stuff like "Yeah I don't even really like it" and that negativity gets lumped in with the criticisms about which awards it should have won, which were maybe not so negative originally.

It's weird, because yeah, when it came out there was CRAZY hype, but a lot of that was just because it had nice art and was about birds. And, there just wasn't anything else really out there with that kind of chill vibe that also had such high production value.

And, while I think that is certainly something to celebrate, somehow I feel like, if it came out now, there wouldn't be 'quite' as much buzz? Not that I can really think of anything specifically that's come along since, but it just doesn't feel like we'd all flip out as much over it now? Maybe I'm not giving Wingspan itself enough credit for slaking that thirst though.