Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Have not one, but two localization prototypes of Mystical Ninja Goemon for PS2 aka the game that killed Working Designs.

https://twitter.com/hiddenpalaceorg/status/1459676563222446082?s=21

E:fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does the guy who writes the front page articles on that site get paid by the word or something? The Twitter post says they have a story to tell but several paragraphs in, that story was how the company was founded.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
TL;DR: Working Designs specialized in localizing titles unlikely to be released outside of Japan by their own publishers. The usual unique and particular brands of fuckery of Sega and Sony eventually forced the company out of business, and this game was the last casualty.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Blue Moonlight posted:

TL;DR: Working Designs specialized in localizing titles unlikely to be released outside of Japan by their own publishers. The usual unique and particular brands of fuckery of Sega and Sony eventually forced the company out of business, and this game was the last casualty.

I read the entire rambling article and I want to stress that this summary covers everything

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

I read the entire rambling article and I want to stress that this summary covers everything

One aspect it doesn't cover, that is vitally important:

gently caress Bernie Stolar.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

The Dave posted:

Because no one is skipping this release because Billy Jean is missing, and the game has a ton of bugs and lovely assets that need more focus. Those things are inexcusable for a full priced title.

Actually, i am skipping this one cos theres no billie jean

This release is not my girl

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Ballz posted:

Have not one, but two localization prototypes of Mystical Ninja Goemon for PS2 aka the game that killed Working Designs.

https://twitter.com/hiddenpalaceorg/status/1459676563222446082?s=21

E:fb

Cooool

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Not quite as big as the Goemon translation dropping, but still worth noting:

https://twitter.com/LuigiBlood/status/1459914988353638406
https://twitter.com/LuigiBlood/status/1459915387525500936

It doesn't really do much for the existing playable roms that are already out there, but for folks who like diving into code searching for differences, I'm sure this will be a treat.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ve always wanted to play the BS Zelda games but I’m confused the proper way to play them since there’s a so many files.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’ve always wanted to play the BS Zelda games but I’m confused the proper way to play them since there’s a so many files.

Well the problem is that the "correct" way to play these roms no longer exists -- the PSRAM sent by the Satellaview service was only available during the broadcast from 25+ years ago. So we have multiple rom hacks that make different attempts to "restore" the game to varying degrees.

This site, in addition to have the best web page design of all time, compiles all the roms and all the various hacks made for them. Which can still be overwhelming. Probably the best way to start is with one of the pre-patched roms. From there decide if you want a time limit like the original BS-Zelda broadcast (increases difficulty), or if you want it to play like a "regular" Zelda game. And then from there do you want to have an MSU-1 patch with just CD-quality music, or do you want an English dub? Do you want to play as Link or do you want the original BS-X mascot dude (or dudette)?

Like I said there's a lot you can customize, but fortunately, there are "I don't want to think about it just give me a playable game" versions available as well.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
isn't there also a simultaneous radio broadcast or something too?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ballz posted:

Well the problem is that the "correct" way to play these roms no longer exists -- the PSRAM sent by the Satellaview service was only available during the broadcast from 25+ years ago. So we have multiple rom hacks that make different attempts to "restore" the game to varying degrees.

This site, in addition to have the best web page design of all time, compiles all the roms and all the various hacks made for them. Which can still be overwhelming. Probably the best way to start is with one of the pre-patched roms. From there decide if you want a time limit like the original BS-Zelda broadcast (increases difficulty), or if you want it to play like a "regular" Zelda game. And then from there do you want to have an MSU-1 patch with just CD-quality music, or do you want an English dub? Do you want to play as Link or do you want the original BS-X mascot dude (or dudette)?

Like I said there's a lot you can customize, but fortunately, there are "I don't want to think about it just give me a playable game" versions available as well.

Thanks for this. I know I'll never get the original experience but I'd like it to be as playable as possible.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Ancient Stone Tablets is genuinely worth playing, it's really fun, especially if you've played a lot of aLttP before. The time limit adds to it, I wouldn't play it without that.

I remember, long long ago, it had been dumped but was unplayable in an emulator. For whatever reason any inside maps loaded as just big black screens. I always wondered if they were unplayable because of a flaw with emulators at the time, or if it was a problem with the dumps we had then.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Light Gun Man posted:

isn't there also a simultaneous radio broadcast or something too?

Somebody recorded the original satellite broadcast audio from like, 1996 for Ancient Stone Tablets and there's an MSU-1 hack that restores and translates it. It's a really ingenious use of MSU-1 and as BrainDance noted, it's a lot of fun to play with the time limit.

BrainDance posted:

Ancient Stone Tablets is genuinely worth playing, it's really fun, especially if you've played a lot of aLttP before. The time limit adds to it, I wouldn't play it without that.

I remember, long long ago, it had been dumped but was unplayable in an emulator. For whatever reason any inside maps loaded as just big black screens. I always wondered if they were unplayable because of a flaw with emulators at the time, or if it was a problem with the dumps we had then.

I *think* those actually are good rom dumps and that the maps and a lot of data for Ancient Tablets were stored on the PSRAM along with the streaming audio, so that data was forever lost as soon as the player turned off their Super Famicom. Fortunately some folks recorded their playthroughs (which is how we got the audio I mention above) which allowed rom hackers to rather faithfully restore the lost graphics back into the game.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any Satellaview games that are confirmed missing?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I THINK all of the known Satellaview games were found as of a couple of years back. I could be horribly mistaken about that, mind you. I wonder if there's archives of the Satellaview games at Nintendo still, those could be an interesting thing to try re-releasing on Switch as a Nintendo Online perk.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I guarantee Nintendo has a couple that have been in cold storage since the service was discontinued.

That’s a very Nintendo thing to do

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

They'll release a couple of things that work as "bonuses" that go along with games already on the service, like Excitebike: Mario Battle for Excitebike and Special Tee Shot for Kirby's Dream Course, then completely drop the idea forever as soon as everyone is really excited about the possibility of new BS Zelda live events.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Are there any Satellaview games that are confirmed missing?

There’s a lot missing, but keep in mind Satellaview was more than just streaming games. It also featured digital magazines, demos of retail games, and updates that changed games in re-broadcasts (hence the note that the newly dumped BS Zelda Map 1 Week 1 is a rebroadcast, not from its original airing).

Off the top of my head I know there’s a picross series that is mostly lost, as well as a demo of Mystic Arc. Cooly Skunk was only discovered and dumped a year or so ago. But there’s quite a bit more, both known and unknown. And again, some are going to be fundamentally broken with the server-side data inaccessible.

Video game preservation is hard, man.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I guarantee Nintendo has a couple that have been in cold storage since the service was discontinued.

That’s a very Nintendo thing to do

Except it's just the source code, printed out on reams of dot matrix paper sitting in a banker's box in somebody's office

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Ballz posted:

Somebody recorded the original satellite broadcast audio from like, 1996 for Ancient Stone Tablets and there's an MSU-1 hack that restores and translates it. It's a really ingenious use of MSU-1 and as BrainDance noted, it's a lot of fun to play with the time limit.

neat!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

Except it's just the source code, printed out on reams of dot matrix paper sitting in a banker's box in somebody's office

Not archaic enough. Nintendo employs a man who does nothing but repeat the code over and over again in a quiet room in their Kyoto office basement.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I mean the huge leak revealed that Nintendo is literally storing things on tapes, some of which are no longer working.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Still puts them leagues above some places I guess

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gaius Marius posted:

Still puts them leagues above some places I guess

Yep. I’m shocked we got as much as we did.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I mean the huge leak revealed that Nintendo is literally storing things on tapes, some of which are no longer working.

Tapes are still a legitimate long-term storage medium, if stored properly. Especially if you're concerned about security around cloud storage.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, LTO tapes are commonly used to cold store large amounts of data.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

Yes, LTO tapes are commonly used to cold store large amounts of data.

And for stuff that's decades old, I'd guess there isn't really a push to modernize the archives.

Nintendo is way more responsible about archiving this stuff than 95% of other game companies. I would not be surprised if they actually did have proper archives of all of the Satellaview stuff including the broadcasts.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The bit about tapes in the gigaleak suggested that they'd already digitally archived everything they could get off of them. It's fair to say that Nintendo's archives are vast and voluminous.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Are the Satellaview stuff Nintendo's or St GIGA's? According to Wikipedia, it did have a fair number of 3rd party titles, so I'm wondering if those would have been archived by Nintendo, or if St GIGA would have been enough of a seperate entity that it would have fallen onto their shoulders. Wikipedia does say that Nintendo discontinued support for the Satellaview a full year before St GIGA discontinued the service.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Randalor posted:

Are the Satellaview stuff Nintendo's or St GIGA's? According to Wikipedia, it did have a fair number of 3rd party titles, so I'm wondering if those would have been archived by Nintendo, or if St GIGA would have been enough of a seperate entity that it would have fallen onto their shoulders. Wikipedia does say that Nintendo discontinued support for the Satellaview a full year before St GIGA discontinued the service.

Anything Nintendo had to approve might have a copy retained by them. So software is very likely, broadcasts that would be over their games is possible in some form even if it's just scripts, back end stuff is kinda unlikely.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They'll just download whatever they can from some ROM site, just like with their other rereleases.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Fun fact about the less-exciting part of that Satellaview dump.. The previously-unknown distribution of Pachi-slot Twin came from one of my 8M Memory Packs, and it's a good thing that the first thing I did was dump it - because when I tried to play it, this error message popped up and wiped the whole card!

And not just a pretend delete where it removes a directory entry, it went from this

to this

(don't play your Satellaview dumps on real hardware until you've played them in an emulator!)

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 16, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s great to know. Thank you for your service, btw.:patriot:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Random Stranger posted:

Anything Nintendo had to approve might have a copy retained by them. So software is very likely, broadcasts that would be over their games is possible in some form even if it's just scripts, back end stuff is kinda unlikely.

I heard rumors during the Wii days that someone was wanting to bring Satellaview games to the VC. Nintendo has all the the software and original broadcast recordings but there is evidently issues with ST. GIGA with technology in the hardware and them sharing some sort of copyright with the broadcasts. It was deemed not worth the potential hassle to wade through the mush.

Though Nintendo being Nintendo we will get them out of nowhere at random at some point in the future.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Other than Mother 3 64, what I’d like to see get leaked most from Nintendo is Donkey Kong Plus. It looked a lot more interesting than Mario Vs. Donkey Kong.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Wasn't Radical Dreamers originally released as like a game you'd have to flash onto a cart at a kiosk?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Wasn't Radical Dreamers originally released as like a game you'd have to flash onto a cart at a kiosk?

It was on the SNES/Super Famicom version of Satellaview

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It was on the SNES/Super Famicom version of Satellaview

The Satellaview is the SNES/Super Famicom version of Satellaview...

But it was a Satellaview game that had to be installed onto the memory cart as part of the service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Not that one. And it’s the Nintendo Power flash cartridge, which makes googling for it easy…
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Power_(cartridge)

Not the most inspiring lineup, except Fire Emblem. I don’t hear too much about this, guess all the games were dumped.