Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
When they redid the series page layout recently it was an improvement in most respects but they seem to have completely hidden the list of alternate titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ah yes, the cheat skill called not having the lifespan of a mayfly and yet again falling into a surplus of [skills]. MC is chill though and I like his rapport with the count but I'm also curious what caused Japan to really settle on Goblins being commonly depicted as hyper-evolving and adaptive creatures.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

I'm also curious what caused Japan to really settle on Goblins being commonly depicted as hyper-evolving and adaptive creatures.
Be thankful; It's far better than some of Japan's... other depictions of goblins.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

HiveCommander posted:

Be thankful; It's far better than some of Japan's... other depictions of goblins.

Welp, I have no idea what you could possibly be talking about
*COUGH*Re: Monster*COUGH*

but I did get a chuckle out of this page because either the author is being cheeky or I really just miss Berserk among the other references here.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Brought To You By posted:

Ah yes, the cheat skill called not having the lifespan of a mayfly and yet again falling into a surplus of [skills]. MC is chill though and I like his rapport with the count but I'm also curious what caused Japan to really settle on Goblins being commonly depicted as hyper-evolving and adaptive creatures.

Besides Slimes, they are the definitive Mook you demolish early in-game leveling up. That and since they're actually sentient, can also take the place of low ranked minions in the Demon Lords armies. Why such a specific thing I dunno, but I think it's the above of them being the other famous mook who gets the crap beat out of them becoming super strong.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

doomrider7 posted:

Besides Slimes, they are the definitive Mook you demolish early in-game leveling up. That and since they're actually sentient, can also take the place of low ranked minions in the Demon Lords armies. Why such a specific thing I dunno, but I think it's the above of them being the other famous mook who gets the crap beat out of them becoming super strong.

Now I want to see “I Reincarnated as that Orc Holding a Pie in a 10 x 10 room but I’m Stronger than the Heroes!?”

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Literally Kermit posted:

Now I want to see “I Reincarnated as that Orc Holding a Pie in a 10 x 10 room but I’m Stronger than the Heroes!?”

Someone on Narou likely has that story already written

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there have been a few where some random monster was stronger than the heroes. the oddest of them is the one where that monster wipes out the party except for the hero's pregnant gf and ends up as an adoptive father.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
There's also a sense of progress since the writers tend to drag the goblins out of their mud huts and into real houses and paved streets.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Goblins have just eaten a lot of kobold traits in manga. 'Kobolds as the clever inventive and adaptive mooks' has been common in dnd stuff since the early 2000s. But you almost never see the little lizard men in Japanese stuff, instead goblins eat up that half sometimes.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

apparently some old DnD 2e art had pig orcs and dog kobolds so everyone else has just kinda run with it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its probably warcraft’s fault

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

KittyEmpress posted:

Goblins have just eaten a lot of kobold traits in manga. 'Kobolds as the clever inventive and adaptive mooks' has been common in dnd stuff since the early 2000s. But you almost never see the little lizard men in Japanese stuff, instead goblins eat up that half sometimes.
Kobolds in folklore were just another type of goblin.

Kobolds in D&D were originally little rat/dog men, 3e reskinned them as lizardmen.

When Japanese devs first got their hands on D&D there was some confusion or translation error so that's why their kobolds look like gnolls.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 1, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kobolds show up often enough in the innumerable korean wn's about dungeons in the modern day.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Folks, if you gave up on Dimensional Mercenary during the assassin arc I don't blame you. But the most recent arc, that of a merchant, has really taken off. And by taken off I mean become an examination of just how badly agreeing to Isekai yourself to solve someone's problems can go. I've seen Isekai protagonists fall rear end-backwards into a lot of things. Money, power, love, skills, world peace, etc. But a supervillain origin story?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Saw this today and it's interesting enough. The Onee-sama and the Giant Young girl gets isekai'd and befriends a cute Giant. Both are in search of someone close to them; for the girl, it's her high school friend and sworn sister and for the Giant it's for her brother. I think this sequence alone sold me on keeping an eye on it

But the reveal in the end solidified it. Expect some slightly jank translations since it's Japanese -> Chinese -> English. Also the magazine is bi-monthly so next chapter should be in december.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
hell of a comic to bring this thread back with, well done

e: since we are back, there are two RTS isekais that both feature the MC coming back as the leader of an evil faction, both are updating again

Her Majesty's Swarm: https://mangadex.org/title/559be949-4475-4f06-b8bf-a1a7343489bc/her-majesty-s-swarm
Where the MC is basically isekai'd as Kerrigan and leads a zerg-like race, is losing sanity being connected to the hivemind and slaughtering everyone

Isekai Apocalypse: https://mangadex.org/title/6e156d65...isation-of-ruin
The MC is isekai'd as the leader of an evil civilization with good hero units and does diplomacy (and murders)

Fellis fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 9, 2021

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Fellis posted:

hell of a comic to bring this thread back with, well done

e: since we are back, there are two RTS isekais that both feature the MC coming back as the leader of an evil faction, both are updating again

Her Majesty's Swarm: https://mangadex.org/title/559be949-4475-4f06-b8bf-a1a7343489bc/her-majesty-s-swarm
Where the MC is basically isekai'd as Kerrigan and leads a zerg-like race, is losing sanity being connected to the hivemind and slaughtering everyone

Isekai Apocalypse: https://mangadex.org/title/6e156d65...isation-of-ruin
The MC is isekai'd as the leader of an evil civilization with good hero units and does diplomacy (and murders)

I couldn't stomach Her Majesty's Swarm, but I really like Isekai Apocalypse. It helps that there's a fair bit of comedy with the MC being scary looking but super awkward.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Her Majesty's Swarm does feel very much in the violent power fantasy side of things where every opponent is hilariously evil for no reason. At least the MC kills a lot of slavers.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I think Isekai Apocalypse is much better, i especially like the chapter with the holy knights vs the hero unit, was definitely a bit of tone shift over what is going on.

Her Majesty’s Swarm is just goofy and dumb, everyone she’s slaughtered has been shitheads so I’m fine with it for now but we’ll see. At least it isn’t wordy so it’s easy to follow.

There was another one I was reading which was the perfect one for this thread, just a decent isekai for a dozen chapters. The MC uses his past knowledge of the game to powerlevel and get broken skills. Then a dozen chapters in or so, out of nowhere immediately bends over backwards to justify slavery and MC buying a slave, just to introduce another party member cause it wasn’t mentioned again.

https://mangadex.org/title/4754fc66-6bcb-4cc3-98ec-10f585cc55f3/moto-sekai-ichi-i-subchara-ikusei-nikki-hai-player-isekai-wo-kouryakuchuu

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
I read the first whatever (10?) chapters of Her Majesty's Swarm that are translated and I don't have much hope for it. The premise is really good but she pretty much just instantly decides to go with the bloodlust and they very superficially pay lip service to the idea of what's her vs what's the influence of being tied into the hive mind. They also build up an interesting moral dilemma between her and the swarm with the swarm wanting to eat the elf village but she wants to preserve it but then they almost immediately defuse it by having a comically over the top evil stand in come in and remove the choice.

Isekai Apocalypse seems good but they keep hitting on the "I bet he's a pedophile" joke which just isn't funny at all?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The junk collector posted:

Isekai Apocalypse seems good but they keep hitting on the "I bet he's a pedophile" joke which just isn't funny at all?

Yeah it's part of this weird otaku humor I don't get. Luckily the story chills with those after this bit.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there have been a few where some random monster was stronger than the heroes. the oddest of them is the one where that monster wipes out the party except for the hero's pregnant gf and ends up as an adoptive father.

I read where where it was one of the demon lords 4 commanders who was actually supposed to JOB to the heroes and get a glorious afterlife of luxury out of the bargain, but the heroes were so terrible they wiped themselves out except the caster lady who the hero had knocked up and the hero and party were being pretty terrible to tbh. So dragon guy is like "I will raise this child! TO KILL ME!"

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nemo2342 posted:

I couldn't stomach Her Majesty's Swarm, but I really like Isekai Apocalypse. It helps that there's a fair bit of comedy with the MC being scary looking but super awkward.

Just to circle back to this a bit, I picked up the 1st volume of the Isekai Apocalypse LN (2nd volume releases next Friday) and it's really solid. It covers the events up through chapter 8.3 of the manga, and is a bit more explicit about things that were too subtle for me to catch there. Also for a LitRPG, it's very restrained in how it throws out game elements; they're mostly confined to little unit card/encyclopedia entries that cap off chapters.

Novel things that either I missed in the manga or haven't been covered:

1) While the MC is the best player in the game, he's actually never finished the game with the "Peace" ending despite being a pacifist who focuses on domestic affairs. Inevitably he's unable to maintain relations with other nations and ends up conquering the world instead.
2) Something is messing with both the MC and Atou. Atou has noted that he's not bothered by things that should concern him as a normal modern-day person, and the MC has noted that Atou seems unable to think independently.
3) The encyclopedia cards confirm that Atou is in fact classified as one of the Witches, and that there can only be 7 witches in the world at one time.
4) Due to the fact that the Witches appeared around the same time the MC did, he strongly suspects that they are Hero units of other players leading Evil nations. This is not a good thing, because the other Evil nations want to destroy the world, while he wants to build a nation for himself and Atou.
5) Several of his units are straight-up Lovecraft monsters. Shoggoth and Mi-go are both mentioned as things he can create.

I'm excited for the next volume, because it should go well-past where the manga is right now (and I am already reading too many webnovels to pick up another).

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Isekai where MC has minecraft powers. Quickly gets a dark elf wife. Very horny.

https://mangadex.org/title/83067b19-bdfb-4ba1-8178-7052e68b41bf/goshujin-sama-to-yuku-isekai-survival

Fantasy story where a dude gets Oda Nobunaga as his job
https://mangadex.org/title/01604e79...o-ni-shimashita

Isekai where the protag is dumped in an inhospitable place and becomes an OP edgelord
https://mangadex.org/title/737c292b-5b97-41bb-8b04-51bcc945f7a7/garbage-brave

VVV Bud I can't help it when scanlators are loving weird people.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 13, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Translator: LoliHunter

No thank you.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

You weren't wrong about it being horny; I wasn't quite expecting the regular scenes of him having sex with his wife. Once you get past that (and the obligatory amount of female secondary characters to provide cheesecake) it wasn't a bad series. The MC is fairly normal and not as bland as your average isekai protagonist, and I did enjoy everyone's reactions whenever he whips out his silly minecraft powers.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Fantasy story where a dude gets Oda Nobunaga as his job
https://mangadex.org/title/01604e79...o-ni-shimashita

This one felt kind of underwhelming; there was a lot of telling and not enough showing about how awesome these skills were. The interactions with the ghost of Nobunaga was at least somewhat amusing though.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Isekai where the protag is dumped in an inhospitable place and becomes an OP edgelord
https://mangadex.org/title/737c292b-5b97-41bb-8b04-51bcc945f7a7/garbage-brave

This one went from 0 to edgelord in a hurry. It does get better when he buys a slave (yeah, I know) and despite everything he's not quite the rear end in a top hat he envisions himself to be.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

VVV Bud I can't help it when scanlators are loving weird people.[/url]

One of the more headache inducing ones I saw was the group translating Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear who called themselves "Failure at Grammar" and abbreviated it just the way you think they would.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Honestly, this one is pretty bleh, but I do dig the cyclops girl who is having none of his bullshit OP powers.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nitrousoxide posted:

Honestly, this one is pretty bleh, but I do dig the cyclops girl who is having none of his bullshit OP powers.

Cyclops girl going apeshit whenever he does something is one of the better gags.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Nemo2342 posted:

You weren't wrong about it being horny; I wasn't quite expecting the regular scenes of him having sex with his wife. Once you get past that (and the obligatory amount of female secondary characters to provide cheesecake) it wasn't a bad series. The MC is fairly normal and not as bland as your average isekai protagonist, and I did enjoy everyone's reactions whenever he whips out his silly minecraft powers.

Yeah Aira has been pretty fun so far.

Nemo2342 posted:

This one felt kind of underwhelming; there was a lot of telling and not enough showing about how awesome these skills were. The interactions with the ghost of Nobunaga was at least somewhat amusing though.

I'm holding out hope this one is gonna go somewhere because the writer does Nobunaga's character really well and the resolutions have been fairly satisfying. It's written by the dude who wrote the isekai about the witch killing slimes, so it's got some good pedigree.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Seraphic Neoman posted:

I'm holding out hope this one is gonna go somewhere because the writer does Nobunaga's character really well and the resolutions have been fairly satisfying. It's written by the dude who wrote the isekai about the witch killing slimes, so it's got some good pedigree.

I followed it in the hope that maybe things will pick up once he's done with his own province and moves on to conquering the rest of the world, because so far it's felt kind of prologueish. Though being by the author of killing slimes for 100 years doesn't give me a lot of hope in him actually going anywhere with the plot.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fellis posted:

I think Isekai Apocalypse is much better, i especially like the chapter with the holy knights vs the hero unit, was definitely a bit of tone shift over what is going on.

Her Majesty’s Swarm is just goofy and dumb, everyone she’s slaughtered has been shitheads so I’m fine with it for now but we’ll see. At least it isn’t wordy so it’s easy to follow.

There was another one I was reading which was the perfect one for this thread, just a decent isekai for a dozen chapters. The MC uses his past knowledge of the game to powerlevel and get broken skills. Then a dozen chapters in or so, out of nowhere immediately bends over backwards to justify slavery and MC buying a slave, just to introduce another party member cause it wasn’t mentioned again.

https://mangadex.org/title/4754fc66-6bcb-4cc3-98ec-10f585cc55f3/moto-sekai-ichi-i-subchara-ikusei-nikki-hai-player-isekai-wo-kouryakuchuu

Comparing Mynoghra to the Swarm Queen manga is interesting because on the surface their premises are fairly similar but the execution and direction is wildly different. A big one being how both manga handle the MC falling in line with their respective factions and what sort of fuckery has happened to their minds as a result. It's far more subtle and subdued in Mynoghra and first really comes to a head in the aftermath of the Holy Knights when Atou goes to apologize and you see those loving empty eyes not really being offput by witnessing firsthand a hellish massacre. I like that a lot more than the Swarm Queen's more frontloaded mania and attachment to her units resulting in a pretty hilarious massacre. One is more thoughtful about the idea of someone's mind being merged with a different entity/set of rules and the other reminds me a bit of Himenospia with how the MC just jumps whole hog into being nuts and both series are about insect themed power bases and even share a tomboy-esque right hand woman so if you want to read some more jank there's a recommendation I suppose. :shrug: it's by the killing bites guy but not nearly as fun as that series, more in line with Arachnid in terms of schlock value.

I do have some knowledge of what happens later in Mynoghra although most of it is summaries on WN websites but Rather than the other factions that are isekai'd humans being sRPG players they employ different rule systems based on the games they favored in life. One group are more like Dragon Quest heroes, another are straight up tabletop RPG players and one guy seems to be from the Ero-VN camp of games more comparable to the Sengoku Rance line of games

So thanks to Nemo for letting me know there's an official english TL, I'll definitely be jumping on those in the future.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Bad isekai list:

Isekai Cheat Magic Swordsman - If anyone asks you "so what do you mean when you say 'generic isekai'?" just show them this travesty. It's so painfully by-the-numbers it's not even funny.
https://readmanganato.com/manga-ja986557

Class Saiyasune de Urareta Ore wa, Jitsu wa Saikyou Parameter - Notable for at one point having 2.5/5 in the hugbox which is Novel Updates (this is a site where you won't find average ratings lower than 1.5), this story starts with a slave auction and just gets worse from that point.
https://mangadex.org/title/9d4311a4-7ad0-4fce-bf80-6c19ba37fb47/class-saiyasune-de-urareta-ore-wa-jitsu-wa-saikyou-parameter

Kyoukai Meikyuu To Ikai No Majutsushi - ISEKAI SPEEDRUN ANY % COMPETITION DONATE NOW
https://manganato.com/manga-ce979561

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Kyoukai Meikyuu To Ikai No Majutsushi - ISEKAI SPEEDRUN ANY % COMPETITION DONATE NOW

the only thing worse than the translation is the writing.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Bad isekai list:

Isekai Cheat Magic Swordsman - If anyone asks you "so what do you mean when you say 'generic isekai'?" just show them this travesty. It's so painfully by-the-numbers it's not even funny.
https://readmanganato.com/manga-ja986557

Class Saiyasune de Urareta Ore wa, Jitsu wa Saikyou Parameter - Notable for at one point having 2.5/5 in the hugbox which is Novel Updates (this is a site where you won't find average ratings lower than 1.5), this story starts with a slave auction and just gets worse from that point.
https://mangadex.org/title/9d4311a4-7ad0-4fce-bf80-6c19ba37fb47/class-saiyasune-de-urareta-ore-wa-jitsu-wa-saikyou-parameter

1) I'm actually still reading Isekai Cheat Magician for some reason. I definitely remember describing it to my friend as "isekai paint-by-number" because it felt like it was just ticking off the boxes, yet somehow it never got terrible enough for me to drop it.

2) I started reading Kyoukai Meikyuu this morning, and I dropped it after getting about halfway through it. I know we often complain about isekais having 0 tension, but this one really seems dedicated to avoiding tension at all costs. And it really does speedrun everything; only took 9 chapters for him to have two fiances, as opposed to the usual 30 chapters of the MC being dense about all the girls who want to sleep with him.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Nemo2342 posted:

1) I'm actually still reading Isekai Cheat Magician for some reason. I definitely remember describing it to my friend as "isekai paint-by-number" because it felt like it was just ticking off the boxes, yet somehow it never got terrible enough for me to drop it.

Isekai Cheat Magician is different from Isekai Cheat Magic Swordsman. But you aren't wrong about it being generic.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nalin posted:

Isekai Cheat Magician is different from Isekai Cheat Magic Swordsman. But you aren't wrong about it being generic.

I was actually thinking of Isekai Cheat Magic Swordsman, but it's good to know that there are more Isekai Cheat Magic Whatevers and they're all painfully generic.

For my own contribution, I present Kuro No Shoukanshi. It's another one in the speedrunning vein, where the pacing is just ridiculously hectic. Unlike Kyoukai Meikyuu though it at least tries to pretend that there's some kind of tension, since the OP MC is a battle junkie constantly jumping into dangerous fights. What really drags it down though is that it absolutely loves to use violence against women as the way to signpost who the bad guys are.

large oblate cat
Jul 7, 2009

This one is actually pretty good, aside from the horny. Its like the side character stories in The Wandering Inn. And unless we find out Sylphy isnt 18 it's cleared all the hurdles for the good Isekai thread, right? Again, aside from the erotica.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

This isn’t the bad isekai thread, it’s the any isekai thread. If you go “this isekai is wholesome, but…” just post it here and not there.

Like the one where they guy lives in the plains and builds a community of outcasts and animal people is good, but he marries a much younger woman. He has completely acknowledged her age (i dont recall if she’s under 18 or just younger, whatever it sucks) and has no intention of doing anything with her. But that’s enough to disqualify it from the other thread even though otherwise its very nice.

Now most non-wholesome isekai are loving garbage so yeah in that regard this is the bad thread. But I’d also put excessive gore, MC doing questionable murders, and horny in this category. Slime manga recently did a mass-murder and people didn’t seem ripped up about that, but I think that’s not wholesome. I’d also put Moonlit Fantasy and Eminence in Shadows here and I think those are pretty good.

E: I like that thread also btw. I think it should be really confined to the villianess/otome isekai and slow-life isekai that usually keep it under control, there are enough of those.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

large oblate cat posted:

This one is actually pretty good, aside from the horny. Its like the side character stories in The Wandering Inn. And unless we find out Sylphy isnt 18 it's cleared all the hurdles for the good Isekai thread, right? Again, aside from the erotica.

He also starts as her slave, even if it's in name only, so I was worried that and the horny would give people the vapours.