Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Dan Olson (Folding Ideas) has been making the rounds regarding his research into NFTs and discord NFTs. It's an interesting read.

The public link interview though is on Benzinga though: https://www.benzinga.com/markets/cryptocurrency/21/11/24062124/exclusive-dan-olson-on-the-downside-of-the-nft-hype-machine

He also did a podcast with Digitally Rare. Two guys who are artists who are "pro-NFT" but dislike the financial incentives involved right now with NFTs.. they believe NFTs are the future for artists but I think its a reasonable interview (haven't finished yet though)
https://anchor.fm/digitallyrare/episodes/wb3--and-NFTs--w-Dan-Olson-e1a7r2u

If anything, read the interview, you learn about how the two different types of rugpulls, how NFTs try to get people who got in on a bad NFT to join their NFT.. and finally what makes for a successful NFT (spoiler, lots of money for marketing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
No matter how many times people try and explain it I just can’t understand how nft could possibly be “good for artists” in ways that non-nft solutions do also

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/CoinersTakingLs/status/1460114763199832066?t=oh47vsC-25NkOL9Se4Dxcg&s=19

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Gutcruncher posted:

No matter how many times people try and explain it I just can’t understand how nft could possibly be “good for artists” in ways that non-nft solutions do also

blockchain

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gutcruncher posted:

I see you've never had your art fungibled.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

LordArgh posted:

blockchain

Where do I wire the money?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

A password encrypted zip file containing the .psd file and high res copy of the image is more secure and more unique than any NFT, and as an added bonus actually contains the image you paid for.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

But how can one tell the difference between real nft art and random emoticons?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i tried to keep an open mind but the two guys general statement seems to be, "yes we understand things can be copied..." ..... and that's it.. they seem to be okay but i just don't see their vision of how its going to help artists other than giving them money from patronage.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Strong Sauce posted:

Dan Olson (Folding Ideas) has been making the rounds regarding his research into NFTs and discord NFTs. It's an interesting read.

The public link interview though is on Benzinga though: https://www.benzinga.com/markets/cryptocurrency/21/11/24062124/exclusive-dan-olson-on-the-downside-of-the-nft-hype-machine

He also did a podcast with Digitally Rare. Two guys who are artists who are "pro-NFT" but dislike the financial incentives involved right now with NFTs.. they believe NFTs are the future for artists but I think its a reasonable interview (haven't finished yet though)
https://anchor.fm/digitallyrare/episodes/wb3--and-NFTs--w-Dan-Olson-e1a7r2u

If anything, read the interview, you learn about how the two different types of rugpulls, how NFTs try to get people who got in on a bad NFT to join their NFT.. and finally what makes for a successful NFT (spoiler, lots of money for marketing).

Don Olson is great and he obviously gets it, but lmfao at the guy interviewing him who writes at the end of the interview:

"Conclusion
Blockchain technology has an absolute value and utility"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Gutcruncher posted:

and yet you participate in art subjectivity

curious!

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Gutcruncher posted:

Getting paid for doing things and existing is a matter of:
  • Having other people aware you exist/do things
  • Convincing them they should send you money for some reason

The NFT itself provides zero value. It's a marketing vehicle. You've suddenly found a fresh audience who wants to send you money for... nothing... except marketing yourself in a slightly different way. Why do they want to send you money? So that someone else sends them more money than they sent you in the future. Except you're not running the scam - you're selling a link to art you hopefully, but don't necessarily, own.

It's not very useful for artists or anyone, really. At least not as it exists now. If the copyright system used an NFT system and stored the actual image instead of a link to some random place hosting it [that will one day be defunct] then maybe it'd provide some value, but that would open up endless new problems.

so yeah it's useless unless you can convince people to send you money who would not have sent you money without it

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 15, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Gutcruncher posted:

it incentivises guys to buy art who were previously categorically opposed to any artwork that didn't have Rick Sanchez or an Avenger on it

on the downside, the artist is basically superfluous to the transaction (as is the art, but some pretend it isn't), won't see a dime, and good art is anathema to an NFT community with millions of dollars staked on vacuous "but what is art, anyway?" defenses of their picrew monkeys

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 15, 2021

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

drk posted:

anyone who unironically uses the term "bullish": lol
Ghost titty simply misspelled "bullshit".

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it incentivises guys to buy art who were previously categorically opposed to any artwork that didn't have Rick Sanchez or an Avenger on it

on the downside, the artist is basically superfluous to the transaction (as is the art, but some pretend it isn't), won't see a dime, and good art is anathema to an NFT community with millions of dollars staked on vacuous "but what is art, anyway?" defenses of their picrew monkeys

Right, but if you're a lazy scammer, both the fools and their money are seemingly endless

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

in the lazy scammer's defense, the evidence strongly supports them

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Just lol at all the tryhard artists in the world. There are essentially no living artists who can compete with badly drawn [item name]s.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Cnn10 -- a news show literally for children -- did an episode on cryptocurrency today, and while I wanted to kill myself while over explaining crypto and why it's a scam to 8th graders, they do a surprisingly competent job of discussing the issue, if you ignore the fact that they are buying into the idea that crypto is anything useful whatsoever. They even have a cranky economist declare crypto is a scam.

Show it to your soft brained friends and maybe they too will not invest in the Bitcoins.

ChronoBasher
Jul 2, 2007
I forget what podcast, but heard and artist make the argument that the digital art market place has always been second fiddle to physical because of the copy problem, and he saw the value in NFTs because if he minted them himself they would be the only ones that were "signed" by him, or his wallet address. Thus giving equivalent value as a physically signed art price vs a reproduction.

I feel like this has been the only somewhat compelling argument I've heard, but can't people just do this with normal PKI? And not the Blockchain/NFTs? Like digital signitures have been a thing for a while - why "mint" anything?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Are there really that many buyers who buy NFTs from artists they like? All the hype I'm seeing is about the lovely mix and match style monkeys/cats/whatever, not any original and good art.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Salt Fish posted:

Don Olson is great and he obviously gets it, but lmfao at the guy interviewing him who writes at the end of the interview:

"Conclusion
Blockchain technology has an absolute value and utility"

Lmfao this absolutely rules

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong
I need to get into the NFT game. Lemme pull up MS paint really quick and put something together

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Gutcruncher posted:

Emoticons have a communication function for online wordless emotional formats.

The only thing NFTs communicate is “Idiot here.”

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ChronoBasher posted:

I forget what podcast, but heard and artist make the argument that the digital art market place has always been second fiddle to physical because of the copy problem, and he saw the value in NFTs because if he minted them himself they would be the only ones that were "signed" by him, or his wallet address. Thus giving equivalent value as a physically signed art price vs a reproduction.

I feel like this has been the only somewhat compelling argument I've heard, but can't people just do this with normal PKI? And not the Blockchain/NFTs? Like digital signitures have been a thing for a while - why "mint" anything?

It's an imbecilic argument. 100% of the money in art that isn't locked up in rich guys trading the same Damien Hirst piece back and forth is in digital or otherwise readily reproducible media, because you can... reproduce them and sell the work over and over again. The richest oil painter or marble sculptor or whatever in the world doesn't make what a moderately successful musician loses between his couch cushions, possibly excluding one or two who've made it big selling prints. If JPEGs of picrew monkeys have never had market success before, it's not because everyone's just so bigoted against digital media and reproductions, it's because they're hideous trash nobody wants even now except as an appendage to a harebrained get-rich-quick scheme.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 16, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lmao

https://twitter.com/IAmGryphoneer/status/1460103849323204612

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, I donate to some webcomic Patreons because I like the artist and want to reward their work. If this was about helping artists there is already a medium for doing so that doesn't involve scammery and setting the Earth on fire.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

ChronoBasher posted:

:ssh: Art, even "blue chip art", has no inherent value beyond how much you enjoy looking at it, which is completely detached from "market value". It's all a scam. :ssh:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

im late as hell to this but lmao was someone really trying to defend USDT
the coin that's currently under federal investigation because they claim to be backed by the dollar but their proof for that is "trust me bro"

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
How many NFTs would it take to contain the entire John Galt speech as comic sans in images? Asking for a friend...

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Doug Sisk posted:

How many NFTs would it take to contain the entire John Galt speech as comic sans in images? Asking for a friend...

given that all an NFT is is a JSON token with a url in it... one?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Three Olives posted:

:ssh: Art, even "blue chip art", has no inherent value beyond how much you enjoy looking at it, which is completely detached from "market value". It's all a scam. :ssh:

:ssh: nothing has inherent value :ssh:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Doug Sisk posted:

A cartoon man with a speech bubble that says "MINE!" would suffice.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Three Olives posted:

Lifehack: If you want to feel like a rich person, look for online auctions for charity galas for rich people pet causes (e.g. Gay unhoused dogs with Yale MFAs). Rich People/Rich People Stores are always dumping miscellaneous "expensive" art & objects that they won't sell/consign for pennies on their alleged value.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 16, 2021

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

When WW3 hits special ops teams will be sent into irradiated zones to rescue precious NFT's from the burnt out husks of churches and museums in order to preserve the cultural heritage of their people.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

:ssh: nothing has inherent value :ssh:

The wise goon sits beneath the waterfall for many days, contemplating the inherent value of all things.

Many days pass and the villagers begin to grow concerned.

“You there! Wise one who considers the sound and the sensation of the fresh water, what secrets have you discovered?”

But the sagacious goon doesn’t stir, as some villagers begin to tell each other they can see a small smile— perhaps a great revelation is looming?

“You there! O contemplative and wizened one! What whispers does the stream offer you?”

Yet still the wise goon’s sly smile sits petrified beneath the glistening spray of the waterfall.

Then, once called upon by a child who shouts to the goon: “master! The internet has decided to sell worthless hotlinked jpegs to each other for many millions through the most blatant money laundering scam/gold rush in modern history!” And then the wise goon did speak.

He held up a hammer in one hand “this can be used to build, destroy, kill and protect”. With his other hand he beheld a great golden bar: “this can entice many to provide goods and services”. He drops them both into the water, to be carried away to the ocean, angering the villagers.

The wise goon then speaks over the crowd’s chatter and commotion: “actually nothing has inherent value”. Then the goon returns to his quiet meditation under the waterfall, smiling a small smile while contentedly making GBS threads himself all day

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

jokes posted:

The wise goon then speaks over the crowd’s chatter and commotion: “actually nothing has inherent value”. Then the goon returns to his quiet meditation under the waterfall, smiling a small smile while contentedly making GBS threads himself all day

You can dry out and burn the poo poo as fuel.

Koan p0wned

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

jokes posted:

The wise goon then speaks over the crowd’s chatter and commotion: “actually nothing has inherent value”. Then the goon returns to his quiet meditation under the waterfall, smiling a small smile while contentedly making GBS threads himself all day saying "lmao owned" under his breath.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/LukePlunkett/status/1458892434637680650

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Don't people already exchange items /accounts for money... Actual money I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

Don't people already exchange items /accounts for money... Actual money I mean.

But this is different! In an NFT-based game, there's a tacit approval of that aftermarket by developers. It's like having all of the goodness that was brought by Diablo 3's real-money auctions without being able to extract any profit from it. What sane developer and/or publisher wouldn't jump on such a golden opportunity?