Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I would play it again to remember what I didn't like about it but last time I tried that (last month) I didn't even make it to the first post-gundyr boss before I remembered that I hated it an uninstalled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Demon Souls = Bad Game
Dark Souls = Good Game
Dark Souls 2 = Bad Game
Dark Souls 3 = Bad Game
Bloodborne = Bad Game

I haven't played Sekiro and won't play Elden Ring because I finally learned my lesson

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

sounds much more like you're a bad gamer actually, and honestly you're probably a bad person too

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

sounds much more like you're a bad gamer actually, and honestly you're probably a bad person too

That has been previously established*

*"My Posts", Barudak, 2010-2022, isbn:113556

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
They shouldn't be allowed to name a game or genre ___punk unless you get to break down the rules for the setting in the most junior high school edgelord ways possible or with as minimal effort as will sell and/or if the soundtrack isn't punk.

Frostpunk? More like frozen steampunk.
Cyberpunk? On thin ice.

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 16, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cyberpunk settings are markedly less dystopic than our current real world and the panopticon they use to control the world pathetic compared to what even small governments can do now

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

roomtone posted:

i dunno where you're getting that from. there are 100% armour shields, the same variety as the other three in terms of magic defenses, greatshields, etc. Maybe there is some increase in stamina consumption when blocking hits if you put the games up against each other, I'm not saying that it's identical, I'm just saying it's a big exaggeration. I just played 2 and 3 back to back a couple of months ago and if anything DS3 is more generous with the stamina.

You can still block stuff but iirc enemies are a lot stronger at just eating through your stamina when you block all their attacks, and enemies themselves have shorter/nonexistent recovery windows when you block their hits compared to ds1/2, meaning you have fewer windows to hit them back or to briefly stop blocking and recover your stamina.

It's definitely possible to get good high-stability shields though, like if you upgrade the Pursuer's greatshield a bit you can buff it with Magic Shield to reach 100 stability, meaning it costs 0 stamina to block anything and you can just hold r1 to be invincible vs physical attacks until the buff wears off. So maybe it's just the early game shields that have poo poo stability or something? I dunno, I normally avoid shields in souls games because I find it more "fun" to try and dodgeroll through everything even if I eat poo poo a lot and it's a harder way to play.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 16, 2021

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

chainchompz posted:

Cyberpunk? On thin ice.

I think you mean "On thin ICE." :v:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

KonvexKonkav posted:

He just wrote some lore, I don't think he had anything to do with the rest of the game.

Cool, I look forward to reading item descriptions that spend multiple paragraphs talking about food, boobs, and piss

That's not a joke, it's going to be awesome

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

As much as I despise him, dude can write food. Must be all that practical experience shoving food down his gullet instead of writing

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Barudak posted:

Cyberpunk settings are markedly less dystopic than our current real world and the panopticon they use to control the world pathetic compared to what even small governments can do now

I’m pretty sure this is why the genre essentially died around the time the first Matrix came out. It just became real life with Mohawks. It’s poetic that as the last big piece of cyberpunk media, the central theme of the matrix was “the modern day already is a cyberpunk hell ruled by robots.”
Also remember Enter the Matrix? That game is so bad but I thought it was so cool in middle school. You could “hack” the game to give yourself a sword.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

galagazombie posted:

Also remember Enter the Matrix? That game is so bad but I thought it was so cool in middle school. You could “hack” the game to give yourself a sword.

The thing I remember most about Enter the Matrix is you actually had to play it for parts of the sequels to make sense. Like entire scenes make no sense unless you played the video game (like how Ghost and Niobe ended up on the freeway to save the day in Reloaded).

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Barudak posted:

Demon Souls = Bad Game
Dark Souls = Good Game
Dark Souls 2 = Bad Game
Dark Souls 3 = Bad Game
Bloodborne = Bad Game

I haven't played Sekiro and won't play Elden Ring because I finally learned my lesson

:whitewater:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I fuckin love dark souls chat, ngl.

I find it punishing but I get a lot more endorphins out of beating a motherfucker of a boss than any other vg experience.

I also get a lot closer to having a full on teenage spazout than anything else, but that's only because the computer cheated.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Dark souls 2 is my favourite dark souls, it reminded me of old nes games in that it felt like a true sequel and not just more levels

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It felt like a sequel in the same way Mario 2 felt like a sequel for better or worse. Fun game but a glaringly obvious wtf outlier.

It's just so ugly looking and unfocused for a souls game and the combat feels like crap though.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

All you fight in Dark Souls 2 are knights. Just so many knight dudes in every level. Worst combat by far too.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

veni veni veni posted:

It felt like a sequel in the same way Mario 2 felt like a sequel for better or worse. Fun game but a glaringly obvious wtf outlier.

Yeah that's the exact vibe i got, dark souls 3 in comparison just felt like dark souls 1: part 2 which just didn't click as well for me

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

KonvexKonkav posted:

He just wrote some lore, I don't think he had anything to do with the rest of the game.

Imagine collaborating with GRRM and not doing this:

Bread: extensive paragraphs of the item description.

Instead of this:

Bread: A baked good. Scholars have debated the purpose of this item.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

deep dish peat moss posted:

I played the poo poo out of Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 2. I bought each one on multiple platforms and played through each one like 4-5 times, and beating a game much less replaying it is incredibly rare for me. I was more excited for DS3 than anyone.

Except I literally forgot that I beat Dark Souls 3 until I looked at a list of bosses last month and went "Oh, I remember all of those, I guess I did beat it." There was nothing memorable about it - none of the environments, NPCs, weapons, or bosses stand out to me and I can't even remember them without looking them up.

The combat systems had slowly mutated over time and over subsequent games but it just sucked in DS3. Shields were neutered and enemies were given tons of huge, sweeping attacks that came out extremely fast which forced you into a few distinct playstyles like "parry everything" or "roll in, hit once, roll away". It wasn't even 'difficult' so much as your avenues of approach to attack enemies had been minimized and constrained so much so that you would have to "git good" (e.g. learn perfect parry timing or memorize attack patterns and opening timing to weave a calculated amount of attacks in between dodges), instead of "git good" it was more like "learn to become a round peg so you can go in the round hole". Every method of player power from the first two games was heavily nerfed, like poise, heavy shields, weapons with huge reach, etc. so it felt incredibly constricted and guided into a specific playstyle.

The only memorable enemy was the big rat/cat thing that was maybe a mimic or something and I think showed up one time in the entire game?

Anyway, Dark Souls 3 was an incredibly bad game and completely misunderstood what made Dark Souls games good and it was disheartening because of how good the first 2 were. It felt like the entire thing was pandering to Dark Souls Youtubers and people who liked to pretend they could be Dark Souls Youtubers.

edit: The thing that made DS1+2 so good IMO is that they were essentially games of observation, situational awareness and waiting for the right moment to strike. They were games about being a timid knight in a big clunky suit of armor and cowering in your booties but eventually winning via cowardice and patience, whereas Bloodborne and DS3 feel like they're trying to be serious action combat games and whiffing in the wake of actual good serious action combat games like devil may cry, bayonetta, ninja gaiden, etc. Sekiro was alright because it tried to do its own thing but doesn't hold a candle to DS1/DS2. Elden Ring looks dope though.

I 100% agree with both this and

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yeah that's the exact vibe i got, dark souls 3 in comparison just felt like dark souls 1: part 2 which just didn't click as well for me

this.

Dark Souls 3, I can only remember 3 parts, one is Gundyr or whatever he's called, and that's only because you guys were talking about him. I remember the bridge where a thing chases you... and I remember walking into a big empty hall with a humanoid boss in and thinking 'Oh gently caress I'm gonna get squashed, it's a humanoid" and instead beating it first time, and feeling kinda let down. I don't know what you mean by big rat / cat thing, because I don't remember it, but that could be the thing that chases you over the bridge? I honestly can't remember what that thing was. I don't remember it. OH The other thing I remember is that there was MAD pvp in that big janky rear end crab-infested swamp. That was kinda cool, I guess.

I felt like Dark Souls 3 was kind of a love letter to Dark Souls fans, but despite having played them all, a lot, since Demon's, I didn't really feel like the letter was addressed to me.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Random Stranger posted:

I think you mean "On thin ICE." :v:

Black ICE

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I like Dark Souls 1/2 as dungeon crawlers with action elements. DS3 doesn't really do that so much.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Barudak posted:

Demon Souls = Bad Game
Dark Souls = Good Game
Dark Souls 2 = Bad Game
Dark Souls 3 = Bad Game
Bloodborne = Bad Game

This is pretty much my take but I had fun with Sekiro.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Dark Souls 2 is my favorite just because of powerstancing. Also Majula is my favorite hub out of the 3. Dark Souls is great but its super fun playing with a friend and alternating summons, becoming really overpowered.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Dark Souls 2 is my favorite just because of powerstancing. Also Majula is my favorite hub out of the 3. Dark Souls is great but its super fun playing with a friend and alternating summons, becoming really overpowered.

In terms of game play, Dark Souls 2 is best. They got the feel of combat exactly right with that one. In terms of environmental design, Dark Souls 1 is best. In terms of feeling like a cheap cash-in, Dark Souls 3 is best.

The DLC for DS3 is by far the best part of the game....

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Dark Souls is great but its super fun playing with a friend and alternating summons, becoming really overpowered.

I'm replaying DS3 like this and it's great. I'm even enjoying invasions now that it's me and a buddy bashing some poor phantom to death. Also screw the haters DS3 is good and pretty.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

The DLC for DS3 is by far the best part of the game....

I'll never know because the main game was enough for me to realize Rise of the Skywalker is the Dark Souls 3 of movies

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I honestly feel like the combat for Dark Souls 2 feels like poo poo and the combat scenarios aren't interesting at all. Usually its just a bunch of knights copy and pasted in a row without the clever enemy placements that are in Dark Souls 1 or Bloodborne. The swords just feel like you're whacking guys with baseball bats. I also think Dark Souls 3 is better than 2, even though the viable builds are limited.

Elden Ring beta was fun as hell and I can't wait for the real game, it actually feels meaningfully different despite still feeling familiar.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

I honestly feel like the combat for Dark Souls 2 feels like poo poo and the combat scenarios aren't interesting at all. Usually its just a bunch of knights copy and pasted in a row without the clever enemy placements that are in Dark Souls 1 or Bloodborne.

This was my feeling as well. Together with the disjointed world and busted graphics it made it seem like DS2 was the low effort cash in. I later found out that this might be because I played the Scholar of the First Sin edition, which apparently decided to completely gently caress up the enemy placement and make everything a slog by just pasting enemies everywhere. I don't know why they decided to do that to what would appear to just be a sort of 'GoTY' edition.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Good news: powerstancing is coming back in Elden Ring

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Harrow posted:

Good news: powerstancing is coming back in Elden Ring

Powerstancing's back! In pog form!

Vakal
May 11, 2008
As far as Dark Souls clones go, I quite enjoyed playing through The Surge 2 despite bailing pretty early on the first game.

Its main failing is the lack of unique weapon move sets, but it did introduce a lot of QoL features over the original.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I kind of wish I could smush The Surge 1 and 2 together into one game, because I feel like neither quite got it right. Like 2 definitely has more refined combat and less insane swingy damage problems, but it falters in lot of other places.

Nice Van My Man posted:

This was my feeling as well. Together with the disjointed world and busted graphics it made it seem like DS2 was the low effort cash in. I later found out that this might be because I played the Scholar of the First Sin edition, which apparently decided to completely gently caress up the enemy placement and make everything a slog by just pasting enemies everywhere. I don't know why they decided to do that to what would appear to just be a sort of 'GoTY' edition.

Scholar has that reputation but in reality it only went apeshit with the dumb copy and paste stuff in a few specific places. It improved most everything else.

Though people seem to have a very loose and variable definition of copy and paste encounter design that can be as broad as "if two of the same enemy attack you at the same time it's lazy design".

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

Cool, I look forward to reading item descriptions that spend multiple paragraphs talking about food, boobs, and piss

That's not a joke, it's going to be awesome

The Myrish Swamp level is going to rule.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The influence of dark souls seems totally out of proportion to its sales. just looking at the conversation online, one would assume that it's in the top five most popular games series. But the entire series of souls games has sold about the same as a single call of duty. what other games have outsized influence like that? these are the games i want to play. the ones that could have been another in a flood, but people really remember it, it had an impact on them, they have strong opinions on it, they may only have played one game but they can't help but talk about it for years and years.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The best Dark Souls game is Jedi: Fallen Order.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mescal posted:

The influence of dark souls seems totally out of proportion to its sales. just looking at the conversation online, one would assume that it's in the top five most popular games series. But the entire series of souls games has sold about the same as a single call of duty. what other games have outsized influence like that?

Probably, like, a lot???

I mean very few games sell like CoD but are still talked about for a long time or influence genres. Just off the top of my head there is stuff like Nier: Automata, Stardew Valley, Darkest Dungeon, the new XCOMs, Rimworld. These games all have made big impressions and get talked about still and don't even come close to CoD in sales.

I think it also helps most of these games either do something unique or something much better than any alternatives, whereas Call of Duty is the same poo poo every year.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Megami Tensei series is one that I'd say has been influential far beyond the sales of the actual games. Hell, it tends to sell less than its own spinoff series. But it's a monster-collecting RPG series that predates Pokemon almost a decade, and that spinoff series, Persona, has made a pretty huge splash and been influential itself.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

limp_cheese posted:

The best Dark Souls game is Jedi: Fallen Order.

I liked it, and it’s the only souls-like I’ve actually managed to finish before getting bored, but this is still crazy talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Meme Poker Party posted:

Probably, like, a lot???

Stardew Valley,

Uhh actually I think you mean to say that it is Harvest Moon that had a massive influence outside of its sales figures
:goonsay: