Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Bank posted:

2005 Honda Pilot
Original starter, battery changed about 6 months ago, never had it die on the road or anything like that yet. Probably original alternator too.

Maybe once every 2 weeks the car sounds harder to start than usual. It's not a huge change, just another quarter second to start up (yes I notice stuff like that). The worst one I had was last week where it whirred like a machine gun and I stopped cranking it -- this only happened once. I cranked it a second time and it started right up.

I brought this car to a mechanic today, and he tightened up the battery terminals as they were loose..stupid me. He said everything looks good though, and he's never had a car like mine with a failed starter before. Civics and RSXs are issues at his shop, but he's never seen a Pilot/Odyssey in for it.

Charged me $30 and I was on my way. He originally told me $80 for the diagnostic, but I guess the issue was so basic he cut me some slack. It's a drat shame he's moving across the country, now I have to find another mechanic.

On another note, one of my tires has a slow leak and I found a tiny needle sized nail in it. It looks really close to the shoulder (I'm hoping its not..), so hopefully I can get it patched up..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpitztheGreat posted:

I was careful and didn't make a bad situation worse.

This is the reason for my positivity. You seem to know better than to just ham it up worse, so you already have the right approach to learn and not make a mess of things. Not everyone does........

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Motronic posted:

This is the reason for my positivity. You seem to know better than to just ham it up worse, so you already have the right approach to learn and not make a mess of things. Not everyone does........

one of my least favorite videos of all time:

Sagebrush posted:

15:50 - 18:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8KpbCbOiYQ&t=950s

since this is the question thread, for those who don't know, the first little 'tik' when he turns the torque wrench to about 5 o'clock is the mechanism indicating that it's hit the set torque. that is where you're supposed to stop, but he continues for another quarter turn. he then appears to give it another two full rotations or so, shearing the bolt off.

then he does it again

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 13, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Detective Thompson posted:

Thanks for the link, it's a fun watch. Definitely not something I think I'd ever want to set foot in, but it's neat to watch someone else drive one.

I was reading your description and guessing what it was, but now I'm sad that you figured it out, because I couldn't come here and post the correct answer :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXzcIoq2ing

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Holy cow. I don't understand what he was thinking. Like, the torque wrench he's using just seems like massive overkill. I know people get really anal about torquing things to spec, but this seems like a time when a soft touch with a small tool would have been a far better idea.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wow what a loving idiot I can't believe I have to try to sleep now after watching that guy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SpitztheGreat posted:

a soft touch with a small tool

feeling seen rn

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

SpitztheGreat posted:

Holy cow. I don't understand what he was thinking. Like, the torque wrench he's using just seems like massive overkill. I know people get really anal about torquing things to spec, but this seems like a time when a soft touch with a small tool would have been a far better idea.

Well it would probably help going for something that could measure inch pounds. Which he probably misread as foot pounds considering the size of that bastard.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well it would probably help going for something that could measure inch pounds. Which he probably misread as foot pounds considering the size of that bastard.

Did that once. :doh:

Was walking around the shop at my new job and found a 9/16" wrench cut in half and welded to each end of a 3 foot bar. I wonder if he needed to reach something or if he needed to sextuple the torque on a tiny screw. Should ask next time I'm there.

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

cursed start to my morning

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

I agree that for a case bolt like that he should have been using a small torque wrench, or just a regular ratchet and doing it by feel. But I think he had the one he was using set correctly -- you can hear the wrench click about a half turn after he starts using it. He just didn't know what a torque wrench feels/sounds like on very low settings.

That part is a little painful, sure, but it's a mistake anyone could make. The part that pisses me off is his response: "I'm going to pretend that that screw was defective, and do the exact same thing again, and if this next one breaks too then I'm going to....be really frustrated." What kind of goddamn plan is that? When something goes wrong you stop and figure out what happened. You don't just do it again, changing nothing, assuming you didn't do anything wrong and the machine is just non-deterministic and this time you'll have a different result. gently caress

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 13, 2021

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Not even gonna watch the video, but I do want to mention that Wiha makes some very nice torque screwdrivers. This is what we have at work for doing teardowns of camera lenses and other delicate assemblies.

They even have non-adjustable versions to help mitigate operator stupidity, which sounds like it might have been a factor in this video.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Do metal to metal fuel fittings need gaskets?

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
A day for small victories. After a four day delay because of that stuck socket, I was able to change all four spark plugs today. The process of changing the plugs was relatively painless, and went smoothly. Two of the four were more burnt than I expected, the third was in fair condition, and the fourth was in good condition. So that's something I'll need to look into. But for now the car runs noticeably better and I'm glad I didn't wait to reach 100k.

Edit- As an aside. Only hours after completing this job, and while still feeling like a champ, my tub's spout decided that tonight was the night it was going to fail. POP, the whole drat metal casing of the spout came off while my wife was taking a shower. I was feeling too good, too accomplished, for the universe to accept. So now I have the next DYI project lined up.

SpitztheGreat fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 14, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Do metal to metal fuel fittings need gaskets?

Not sure about fuel lines, but hydraulic lines depends on the fitting type. NPT need thread locker and basically seals with the threads jamming against themselves. JIC has angled surfaces that pull tight against each other and seal metal on metal. SAE ports use an o-ring for sealing. ORFS (o-ring face seal) also use an o-ring, but at the other end of the fitting, I don't run into those much.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

SpitztheGreat posted:

A day for small victories. After a four day delay because of that stuck socket, I was able to change all four spark plugs today. The process of changing the plugs was relatively painless, and went smoothly. Two of the four were more burnt than I expected, the third was in fair condition, and the fourth was in good condition. So that's something I'll need to look into. But for now the car runs noticeably better and I'm glad I didn't wait to reach 100k.

Edit- As an aside. Only hours after completing this job, and while still feeling like a champ, my tub's spout decided that tonight was the night it was going to fail. POP, the whole drat metal casing of the spout came off while my wife was taking a shower. I was feeling too good, too accomplished, for the universe to accept. So now I have the next DYI project lined up.

LOL at the tub. I had that happen when I remodeled my shower, forgot to tighten the set screw and off it popped.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
First time I had a bath remodel 10ish years ago I hired my wife's cousin who was a subcontractor. The trim kit we bought had a tub spout that wasn't a twist on, but needed to be held on using a hex screw. I guess he never installed one before and the first day I showered the spout popped straight off.

He used silicone everywhere to hold it down..thankfully it took me 2 minutes to find the hex key and set it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Uthor posted:

Not sure about fuel lines, but hydraulic lines depends on the fitting type. NPT need thread locker and basically seals with the threads jamming against themselves. JIC has angled surfaces that pull tight against each other and seal metal on metal. SAE ports use an o-ring for sealing. ORFS (o-ring face seal) also use an o-ring, but at the other end of the fitting, I don't run into those much.

I've never come across a factory JIC/AN fitting on a vehicle, though I absolutely agree that they are the superior choice for fuel fittings if you're building a system from scratch. The price difference for AN isn't nearly as bad as it used to be and it's so nice to work with.

Otherwise yeah it depends on the fitting type. The vast majority of modern-ish cars mostly use SAE quick-connect fittings which have seals internal to the female side of the connection - which, for the record, I loving hate. Threaded fittings it's a toss up whether it's a flared fitting that doesn't rely on a gasket, or something with an O-ring or similar that does.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

2007 Ford Crown Victoria.

Turn signal doesn't cancel (turn off) after making a turn. Never has since I've had the car; it'll occasionally turn off on its own, but rarely.

Would this be the switch, or something with the steering wheel? I haven't had to replace a turn signal switch since the 1990s, so I'm a bit out of my element here. Don't really want to tear it apart without knowing if I need to go grab a new wheel from the 'yard or not.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I would be very surprised if whatever broke wasn't part of the turn signal switch itself.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's the way I was leaning - I want to say on my 80 F-150, there were tabs on the actual shaft in the column that the switch rode on for cancelling, but that was... a 1980 vs a 2007.

The 80 F-150 is the only thing I've ever had the wheel off of (and it was for the switch... cam style switch that fit down inside the column, none of this newfangled stuff that actually just bolts on)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yeah it's inside the switch unit, not a cancel cam. You have to replace the whole unit.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Been fantasizing recently about picking up an EJ civic (93-95). Besides CL and FB marketplace, anywhere else I should look for 25 year old car in $4-6k shape?

This BaT listing is identical to my first car, which lived its entire life in my grandmother’s garage until I had it for a year—and eventually lost it to some dipshit lawyer in a ford escape who was texting while merging

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-honda-civic-ex-coupe/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Head Bee Guy posted:

Been fantasizing recently about picking up an EJ civic (93-95). Besides CL and FB marketplace, anywhere else I should look for 25 year old car in $4-6k shape?

This BaT listing is identical to my first car, which lived its entire life in my grandmother’s garage until I had it for a year—and eventually lost it to some dipshit lawyer in a ford escape who was texting while merging

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-honda-civic-ex-coupe/

If you haven't realized it yet this is literally the worst time to be buying any car. That very car that went for $5,500 in June of last year, a completely different market from now, would definitely go for more like $10k+ if it was on BaT today.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

If you haven't realized it yet this is literally the worst time to be buying any car. That very car that went for $5,500 in June of last year, a completely different market from now, would definitely go for more like $10k+ if it was on BaT today.

Automotive Insanity -> AI Stupid Question Thread

can’t say i didn’t follow the prompt

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I’m not going to tell you NOT to scratch that nostalgia itch, I’ve had similar thoughts. When you logically think about it though it’s a terrible idea, and you can’t get that time of your life back. Better left happy memories imo.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
90s Imports are loving crazy now. The people that grew up admiring them have money now and want them.

I had a hand-me-down 94 Integra GS-R that was worth maybe 6k at the time. I don't even want to know what the market price is now. I gave it to another family member and they got another 200k on it, so it lived a good life (350k+ miles).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bank posted:

90s Imports are loving crazy now. The people that grew up admiring them have money now and want them.

I had a hand-me-down 94 Integra GS-R that was worth maybe 6k at the time. I don't even want to know what the market price is now. I gave it to another family member and they got another 200k on it, so it lived a good life (350k+ miles).

I think it's also/mostly people who had the car but no money. I had several of these cars and no money and I'd love to now be able to have another s13 240sx or turbo supra in the kind of shape they were in when they were ~10 years old.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
My neighbor has an nx2000 rotting under a carport, so maybe i’ll walk over and give him an offer

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
God if I could find me a BP powered 97 Protege again, now that I know what I know, and have a few bucks, a place to work on it (but nowhere to store it in between when its not in running condition) I could make a pretty sweet pile of poo poo out if it :v:

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Just hypothetically speaking, what would you do if your six-year-old daughter was playing with her pet baby mouse in the back seat, and say, it got away and crawled down the hole that the headrests slide into? Asking for a friend.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Red Rox posted:

Just hypothetically speaking, what would you do if your six-year-old daughter was playing with her pet baby mouse in the back seat, and say, it got away and crawled down the hole that the headrests slide into? Asking for a friend.

Get her a new baby mouse and hope the old one dies somewhere that doesn't stink up the car too badly. Unless it crawls out, you're not going to find it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Get her a new baby mouse and hope the old one dies somewhere that doesn't stink up the car too badly. Unless it crawls out, you're not going to find it.

I mean, if homeslice wants to take apart the seat, but that would’ve had to be done ASAP

probably shouldn’t let children younger than ten handle small animals like that, IMO, especially juveniles (a baby mouse is a pinkie, and she wasn’t handling one of those)

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Yeah it’s about two weeks old - it just opened its eyes a couple days ago. A couple of them crawled out of the garden bed I was digging up. The dog got one and I saved the other for some reason. He is awfully cute.

She should not have been handling it, the mouse was supposed to be in the cute little cage we just bought for it.

I just saw it poke it’s head out of the isofix hole in the back of the seat 🐭

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I guess put its cage in the car with some peanut butter in it or whatever and just camp out.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

My siblings and I lost my pet rat rat in an electric piano one time. It came out, but it was really a matter of waiting out the rat, so I don’t have much for helpful advice. Food, water, and waiting.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I guess put its cage in the car with some peanut butter in it or whatever and just camp out.

yeah, it’ll pop it’s head out in time if you entice it, but if it’s started nesting in the seat then you gotta be quick to catch it before it decides to hunker down in its new home

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Ha yeah I just came inside after setting that up. We’ll see if it works!

My wife’s suggestion was to sell the car quickly.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Red Rox posted:

Ha yeah I just came inside after setting that up. We’ll see if it works!

My wife’s suggestion was to sell the car quickly.

either that or embrace it

the car is the mouse’s home now

you’ll have to regularly leave offerings of food and water so it doesn’t die and ruin the car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've been to 3 stores and no one had any washer fluid in stock. I guess there's a shortage of that too. Should I make my own from diluted Windex? I'm concerned about ingredients being bad for the car paint.