Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Vampire Panties posted:

Thufir Hawat says it costs 1.4m solarii to drag 3 guild navigators and retinue out to Caladan. I dont have the book in front of me, but google says 10g of primo spice could go for up to 620k solarii.

So the big expensive trip could be paid for with an 8 ball. Losing picograms would be considered a setback with that kind of value.

OTOH, humanity is supposed to rule the universe at that point. thousands and thousands and thousands of worlds and all of them need spice to make their trade networks function. Spice comes from exactly one place, and exactly one way - flying dudes in and having them grab as much as possible before the worms get them.

Honestly the only unrealistic part is they don't show wildcat miners or smugglers, because with that kind of value somebody would figure out a way to grift.

EDIT - :lol: the Fremen are the wildcat miners. They smuggle that poo poo off world to the Spacing Guild. I wonder how much spice the Guild actually hauls out of there, because those dudes walking around in their freebase helmets have a street value in the billions.

Yeah that's what always bugged me. Like the stuff is just too expensive for characters to treat it so casually. If a literal handful can buy you a planet it's impossible for it to be used in such massive quantities by individuals. Even the turbo-rich couldn't afford to just salt their food with it like they supposedly do. At that price/rarity no one but the a governmental entity (which the guild essentially is) could actually afford to have stockpiles of it. The microscopic amounts private actors, even Great Houses, could afford would be used up in an afternoon. Someone call up Frank Herbert I've got to tell him his math is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

galagazombie posted:

Yeah that's what always bugged me. Like the stuff is just too expensive for characters to treat it so casually. If a literal handful can buy you a planet it's impossible for it to be used in such massive quantities by individuals. Even the turbo-rich couldn't afford to just salt their food with it like they supposedly do. At that price/rarity no one but the a governmental entity (which the guild essentially is) could actually afford to have stockpiles of it. The microscopic amounts private actors, even Great Houses, could afford would be used up in an afternoon. Someone call up Frank Herbert I've got to tell him his math is wrong.

Unless there's a fine gradation of spice purity, ranging from garbage tier food additives through to navigator helmet grade, depending on the size of the worm that made it, etc etc.
Alternatively, Frank's maths is terrible. This is the guy who described 21÷6=3??? as a "flashing computation," after all

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Kinda weird the Fremen snag and refine enough spice from under the current ruler's nose to bribe the space guild, smugglers, traders, food importers, etc, but they don't just import water.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Science fiction writers, like most humans, are really bad at understanding things that are on a scale larger than a small town, nevermind a planet. Spice rarity and usage is the sort of thing it doesn't help to think too hard about, but on the other hand this is also a universe where all commerce is strangled by a feudal monopoly so none of the economics would make sense anyway and the rich own entire planetary fiefs.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Yeah, 62k solarii/gram is for your pure grade-a artisanal poo poo. Most people just pick up a tub of Navigator's Choice™ Processed Melange Substance at the local CHOAM's Club and call it good enough.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, 62k solarii/gram is for your pure grade-a artisanal poo poo. Most people just pick up a tub of Navigator's Choice™ Processed Melange Substance at the local CHOAM's Club and call it good enough.

PBUC(HOAMCo)

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

euphronius posted:

The Fremen aren’t “hard” because of desert life. Even pre Paul they have an easy time of it and just live “below the radar”. They are strong Because they have good ideas

The sardaurkar and other “Noble” houses are just incredibly soft and not even really part of the real game of the universe .

That is my take of it anyway

I also figured that Fremen are so badass fighters because they literally mainline Spice from birth and Spice extends life yidda yadda, so they gain literal superpowers from it and are therefore better fighters.

Also they've been fighting an insurrection for at least 80 years, so they get supposedly plenty of fighting experience from that.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It grants prescience of things you sort of knew about already, and extends your life by three to four minutes.
A handful of Navigator's Choice™ will buy you a mansion snowglobe on Tupile.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

stratdax posted:

Kinda weird the Fremen snag and refine enough spice from under the current ruler's nose to bribe the space guild, smugglers, traders, food importers, etc, but they don't just import water.

"The masses of Arrakis will know that we work to make the land flow with water," his father said. "Most of them, of course, will have only a semimystical understanding of how we intend to do this. Many, not understanding the prohibitive mass-ratio problem, may even think we'll bring water from some other planet rich in it. Let them think anything they wish as long as they believe in us."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Assuming the Atreides ships were kind of typical stock carriers, you could definitely have your smuggler buddies bring in a big tank of water for the sietch, but that poo poo's useless on a planetary scale. I imagine that was how the Fremen largely lived before Kynes, they grew some stuff in sietch and manufactured all their custom stuff from spice residues but things like bulk staples and coffee sets they got on the Smuggler Express.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
couldnt the guild park one end of a heighliner into an ocean somewhere and just spew water out of it onto arrakis :thunk:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eau de MacGowan posted:

couldnt the guild park one end of a heighliner into an ocean somewhere and just spew water out of it onto arrakis :thunk:

Siphoning guild.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

What does Bidenesque even mean? I can't name a single identifying policy of that man.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Arachno-Bidenism

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

THE BAR posted:

What does Bidenesque even mean? I can't name a single identifying policy of that man.

he makes goons angery

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Woah what if spice extends life BY inducing limited prescience? Like the tiny amount of foresight helps avoid small household accidents and slip-and-falls thus statistically extending average lifespan like a claims adjuster.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Prescience doesn’t work unless you actively will it tho. Like the bit in Children of Dune where the girl they assign to guard Leto is like “yeah I see the future all the time, when I’m getting railed in the spice orgy. Doesn’t mean anything though, I’m just trippin lol”

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Soul Dentist posted:

Woah what if spice extends life BY inducing limited prescience? Like the tiny amount of foresight helps avoid small household accidents and slip-and-falls thus statistically extending average lifespan like a claims adjuster.

'oh no! i'm out of spice!'

slips in bathtub, dies

your idea makes more sense than Herberts :colbert:

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Spice enhances lifespan by allowing limited prescience, but only related to refined sugar and saturated fats intake.

It is by will alone that I do not set the doughnuts in motion towards my gullet.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

ChubbyChecker posted:

it's a poo poo trope

pampered knights and overly well fed 1st worlders make for better troops than peasants and 3rd worlders who have lived much harder lives
don't the fremen chug spice at a level rich imperial elites can only dream of and thus are actually better fed?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Saw it in a normal cinema. loving loved it. Even if I did have to piss twice.

Felt like they could have done a better job defending Arakeen, even with the betrayal.

Are the Highliners essentially just gigantic space buses?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Roblo posted:

I think more like gigantic space ferries, since they shuttle smaller craft, not just people.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they aren't really described in detail in the book iirc. in the Lynch movie they're like giant buses for spaceships. in the Villeneuve movie they seem to operate more like portals or gateways.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

THE BAR posted:

What does Bidenesque even mean?
Look water-fat,

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Roblo posted:

Felt like they could have done a better job defending Arakeen, even with the betrayal.

That makes me think

Is the spacing guild open for literally anyone who pays and doesn't care one bit about their cargo, because if they're part of the emperor's power then that makes it incredibly grim&dark for the future of the other Houses since they wouldn't be able to get off world, making them easy pickings for said Emperor

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

they aren't really described in detail in the book iirc. in the Lynch movie they're like giant buses for spaceships. in the Villeneuve movie they seem to operate more like portals or gateways.

That's a misconception based on seeing a moon through the tube.

They're still giant buses.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Greggster posted:

That makes me think

Is the spacing guild open for literally anyone who pays and doesn't care one bit about their cargo, because if they're part of the emperor's power

It's the former. The Emperor definitely does not control the Guild.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
the Corrino imperium is basically something like the holy roman empire in space

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Greggster posted:

Is the spacing guild open for literally anyone who pays and doesn't care one bit about their cargo
Yes. Even the Emperor has to pay them for travel. The Baron mentions that they paid for transportation of the Sardukar for the attack on Arrakis and that it cost 80 years' worth of profits to do it. They charge an assload to transport troops, which probably helps keep down the number of wars and invasions because only the richest houses can afford it, and they most likely don't want to bankrupt their houses just so they can go have a slapfight with that Earl that insulted them at the last xmas party.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Super.Jesus posted:

That's a misconception based on seeing a moon through the tube.

They're still giant buses.

You talking out your thigh pads or you have proof of that?

You suggesting one of the moons of Arrakis is ocean blue if viewed through a guild ship for some reason?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The moon was around Caladan, it could be blue! Or it could've been Kaitan or something.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Yes. Even the Emperor has to pay them for travel. The Baron mentions that they paid for transportation of the Sardukar for the attack on Arrakis and that it cost 80 years' worth of profits to do it. They charge an assload to transport troops, which probably helps keep down the number of wars and invasions because only the richest houses can afford it, and they most likely don't want to bankrupt their houses just so they can go have a slapfight with that Earl that insulted them at the last xmas party.
Yeah this is probably one of the big pressures that has pushed everyone towards wars of assassins and so on. In the book the Atreides send a party with some guest Fremen out to blast spice tanks on Giedi Prime, which was presumably like thirty guys, much more reasonable to pay their space bus fare than entire regiments.

Moving to Arrakis must have been hella expensive but that's a place where maybe the Emperor paid, or the Guild gave them a discount because the spice must flow.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Roblo posted:

hopefully in your stillsuit

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Denis interview where he says that lovely Feyd is for sure going to be in part 2.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/dune-spoiler-interview-denis-villeneuve-ending-paul-dreams-and-part-two/

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Bi-lal kaifa

He also weighs in on the threads current heighliners=stargates thing. tl;dr They are ships not gates, but the design is supposed to evoke a gate (as well as a worm)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm glad they didn't make the heighliners gates, but I think the evidence in the film is still that they are

If that is just a moon around this planet and they for some reason wanted to use it to show that the ship was a tube they hosed it up imo. It would have been easy to show it's a tube by showing the moon both through and around the ship, but they didn't even though it should be visible in that shot

I really don't get what they were going for here if not "gateway"

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

The Bloop posted:

I'm glad they didn't make the heighliners gates, but I think the evidence in the film is still that they are

If that is just a moon around this planet and they for some reason wanted to use it to show that the ship was a tube they hosed it up imo. It would have been easy to show it's a tube by showing the moon both through and around the ship, but they didn't even though it should be visible in that shot

I really don't get what they were going for here if not "gateway"

It's got terminus and atmospheric diffraction and isn't illuminating the barrel of the ship. It's a planet/moon and they hosed up the CG. Good catch.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lynch dune at least showed the whole space transport system clearly. Little ships fly inside, big ship teleports, little ships leave for their destination. Very clear. Half the people I watched Dunc with had no idea what was going on and had no idea spice had anything to do with space travel.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

Lynch dune at least showed the whole space transport system clearly. Little ships fly inside, big ship teleports, little ships leave for their destination. Very clear. Half the people I watched Dunc with had no idea what was going on and had no idea spice had anything to do with space travel.

I mean they did explicitly mention that spice had to do with space travel, but there was a lot of exposition so I can see how it could be missed

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Just enjoy the mystery, barely anyone in the galaxy knows how they work either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There's a general tendency to not show the actual traveling, outside of genres that falls in the category of roadtrip.
Mostly people just leave, there's a fade of some sort, and then they arrive.

EDIT: I'm not sure I like Lynch's puke monster as a better representation of it, and unless you're going to go into the whole thing about navigators that's in the book, I'm not sure you need to show the actual traveling.
I would've liked to see it, because I'm a nerd, but I'm not sure it adds to the movie in a meaningful way.