Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Delsaber posted:

News On The March! Our valiant boys in red, gold, and blue guide the intrepid starship Voyager safely to home space after seven long years! Chin up there, little Harry!

(BUY DOMINION WAR BONDS!)

WAKE UP SHEEPLE

CHANGELINGS ARE NOT REAL

THE DOMINION WAR DIDN'T HAPPEN

WOLF 359 WAS AN INSIDE JOB (technically true)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Everyone’s saying it!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Technically the truth. It was Picard who led the Borg there, after all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh, that’s uh… not great.

https://twitter.com/warpfactortrek/status/1460408542008074245

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Have they tried hailing them again

Sometimes it takes two goes

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

it's true, discovery is not great

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Imagine living in a timeline where Star Trek flagshit show is considered too lovely even for netflix.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Have they tried hailing them again

Sometimes it takes two goes

One of my favorite little throw away jokes from the Orville was when Mercer ordered a hail of a ship and then immediately started talking and Alara went "I'm not done yet."

I get it's a tv show, but how many times in the franchise has someone tapped their comm badge, asked for someone and the reply was immediate. What if that person was asleep or on the shitter?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
There have been delays, sleep throughs and such in the franchise

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Erulisse posted:

Imagine living in a timeline where Star Trek flagshit show is considered too lovely even for netflix.

I mean it has its issues, but pretty sure it was just more they were asking to much money. They have their preferred platform of paramount plus, which means they can probably ask for a fair bit more then they would if they didn't have such a strong fallback, and be not to bothered if their offer isn't taken.

Show has it's issues but as far as I know the audience numbers are still very respectable.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
https://twitter.com/WarpFactorTrek/status/1460426035904851969

Looks like they leapt to conclusions rather than having some insider info

The most recent Discovery article on the CBS' Trek site was posted yesterday and it says Netflix is still the non US/Canada streaming site for season 4

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Would not surprise me the slightest, Short Treks Season 2 already did not make it to Nordic Netflix, and more than few other TV series are missing their latest seasons due to being limited to some other distribution service.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

8one6 posted:

One of my favorite little throw away jokes from the Orville was when Mercer ordered a hail of a ship and then immediately started talking and Alara went "I'm not done yet."

I get it's a tv show, but how many times in the franchise has someone tapped their comm badge, asked for someone and the reply was immediate. What if that person was asleep or on the shitter?

I want someone to tap their combadge and say "3 to beam up" and then the wrong 3 people get beamed up.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

dr_rat posted:

Show has it's issues but as far as I know the audience numbers are still very respectable.

what do we actually know about this though?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nitrousoxide posted:

I want someone to tap their combadge and say "3 to beam up" and then the wrong 3 people get beamed up.

A favorite away-team prank is to slip the most junior officer's commbadge into a random alien's pocket. Neither of them know what the gently caress is going on after beaming back lmao

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
... and, true to the spirit of Star Trek: Discovery, whoever posted the tweet about the UK not being able to watch the fourth season has been promoted to Captain of Programming and Promotion, thanks in no small part to their captain-like tendency to fly off the cuff without gathering information first.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

8one6 posted:

I talked to friends on a cordless phone when I was on the shitter since I was a kid. You think I wouldn't answer a combadge hail from the captain if I'm just on the toilet. I just as well assume the badge can filter out toilet flushes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Ensign, why are you speaking Bolian?"

"I'm... not?"

"I heard you say 'please direct my mother to a cramped ribbon' in Bolian, clear as day."

"Okay, well--*farts heavily into toilet*"

"There it is again! The translator's telling me it's Bolian, an order for breadsticks!"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Paramount+ is coming to the UK so I figure they'll want discovery, otherwise what the gently caress do they have?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Taear posted:

Paramount+ is coming to the UK so I figure they'll want discovery, otherwise what the gently caress do they have?
Oh great, another subscription streaming service, just what we need. :rolleyes:

I wonder if any studio will ever go "...nah, you know what? We'll let Netflix just keep giving us free money to stream our back catalogue rather than spending money to run our own service, we're good."

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

https://twitter.com/trekcore/status/1460705800549191684?s=21

loving idiots

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Seemlar posted:

https://twitter.com/WarpFactorTrek/status/1460426035904851969

Looks like they leapt to conclusions rather than having some insider info

The most recent Discovery article on the CBS' Trek site was posted yesterday and it says Netflix is still the non US/Canada streaming site for season 4

So, who to believe?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Can you spoil something that definitely won't be coherent?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Oh no. Stop.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This is cruelty to North Americans.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

So, who to believe?

The second one is definitely true.

I don't think it'll be pirated as much as you guys think, but I also don't think Paramount+ will get many subscribers here.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

https://twitter.com/startrekonpplus/status/1460714359588483074?s=21

Yeah they confirmed it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That’s one way to ensure piracy.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The_Doctor posted:

That’s one way to ensure piracy.
Making a bad show is another way to ensure piracy.

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself. It was just too easy. I hope the dumb show is better and I will be watching it just to catch the Cronenberg scenes (and poo poo all over it as it airs.)

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Disco season 3 was good and it sucks that I'll be pirating 4 in a few days, but given the existing two subs I had to watch Trek and the instant spoiler world we live in I don't see many options short of scrapping my social media accounts. It's pretty clear any golden age of streaming is distinctly over.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Pararoid posted:

Disco season 3 was good and it sucks that I'll be pirating 4 in a few days, but given the existing two subs I had to watch Trek and the instant spoiler world we live in I don't see many options short of scrapping my social media accounts. It's pretty clear any golden age of streaming is distinctly over.

I'm always really surprised when people say season 3 was good
It's got just as many huge plot and pacing holes as the previous two (if you liked them too then sure)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
As ever, modern live action Trek is good... enough

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Good enough for me to watch but not to pay for

I'd pay good money for full size seasons of lower decks though

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Taear posted:

I'm always really surprised when people say season 3 was good
It's got just as many huge plot and pacing holes as the previous two (if you liked them too then sure)

No, it improves exponentially on those two definite issues; it's really like night and day under the new team if you watch them in sequence.

It also adds and upgrades existing characters to be much more likeable and interesting, as well as having the heart that even a lot of classic Trek swings at and misses.

Pararoid fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 17, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Season 3 is still really bad but it definitely doesn’t have either the incredibly unpleasant vibes of 1 or the complete disjoint in plot and tone where they switched show runners in 2. Its problems are definitely more in the vein of laziness and ineptitude you can see in Voyager or Enterprise than the “car’s on fire and there’s no driver at the wheel” of seasons 1-2.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Pararoid posted:

It also adds and upgrades existing characters to be much more likeable and interesting, as well as having the heart that even a lot of classic Trek swings at and misses.
I wish I lived in whatever alternate dimension you live in where this is what actually happened.
I'm not saying they didn't try to do exactly what you're saying... I'm saying they failed at doing exactly what you're saying. And that's on me. I saw what they were doing and felt like they were trying way too hard. I could never get a proper tether to any of the character they were pushing on me. The best part of that season was Michael thinking Starfleet was gone forever and being a pirate. Once she got back in uniform, it was all downhill again.

I mean... there are like a hundred other problems with the season... I'm just saying one of them was that none of the characters outside of pirate Michael and David Cronenberg were likeable or interesting.

Honestly they should give Cronenberg his own ship and follow him around in it and make that a show can call it Strange Old Worlds...

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Buying Netflix out of their deal and assuming the full costs of the show going forward is a vote of confidence rather than "netflix thinks it sux" but lmao at revealing it 3 days before the season premiere

Apparently even the cast had just been in the UK doing the convention rounds promoting it as coming this week

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Pararoid posted:

I don't see many options short of scrapping my social media accounts.

You should do this anyways, for other reasons.

But yes, it's extremely dumb bullshit.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So it's on Netflix now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

So it's on Netflix now?

No, that is the opposite of what happened.
It was on netflix, now it's not.