Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I don't know Grand Order lore, but it's already breaking a lot of Fate rules anyway, right? After all, 1 servant per master is a horrible setup for a gacha game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Poor Alice. And poor Alice.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Arzaac posted:

I don't know Grand Order lore, but it's already breaking a lot of Fate rules anyway, right? After all, 1 servant per master is a horrible setup for a gacha game.

The most basic rule of Fate lore is that rules only exist to be broken. Like every time a rule was introduced in FSN it was specifically to contrast when it was broken later. It's always been everything is made up and the points don't matter.

Caster was uh, very hostile to Alice for some reason that I'm really not clear on.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Arzaac posted:

I'd say it's less breaking rules and more like using different ones. Nasu really likes both having unreliable exposition (Rin in FSN does not know the full truth about the HGW so a lot of her exposition is innacurate) and changing the rules if it gives more creative freedom (aka lots of Servants in FGO).

Like, the entire point of the summoning system in FGO is that it's different from others: you summon Servants to save the world, not win a HGW (which lets you summon things that are enemies of humanity but need humans and Servants uninterested in the grail), uses the Round Table as a catalyst (which as a place surrounded by heroes is universal) and they can explicitly record the structures of unique Servants to summon weird poo poo like Jeanne Alter. Admitedly a lot of the changes are to fit the gacha game model (such as the memories being easier to remember so you can have the sweet fanservice) and he did forget Berserkers can turn off Madness Enhancement, but generally he is consistent with himself, other authors notwithstanding.

...sorry for the vomit dump, it kind of irks me people constantly say Nasu keeps breaking his rules when it's more like he will play fast and loose with them if it leads to a better story or if he can dunk on Rin.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

...sorry for the vomit dump, it kind of irks me people constantly say Nasu keeps breaking his rules when it's more like he will play fast and loose with them if it leads to a better story or if he can dunk on Rin.

Don't worry, it's fine. I know almost nothing about Fate so I'm just saying stupid poo poo to provoke explanations from people. :v:

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I struggled pretty hard with this on my second run when I was running Archer, for some reason, before I found out the fixed attack list gimmick. Nursery Rhyme's cool.

It's a shame she's not that good in FGO, and keeps getting worse compared to the competition.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Omobono posted:

Is it a CCC spoiler?

Nope.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Omobono posted:

Is it a CCC spoiler?
Because Grand Order is straight up ignoring* the rule that Servants should not remember past summons (so she remembers Alice) and Rhyme can shapeshift.

*They give lip service but it's de facto ignored.

It's related to Rhyme's Interlude where she explains why she took that form.

Cyouni posted:

I struggled pretty hard with this on my second run when I was running Archer, for some reason, before I found out the fixed attack list gimmick. Nursery Rhyme's cool.

It's a shame she's not that good in FGO, and keeps getting worse compared to the competition.

To be honest about the game design 98.5% of servants with damaging NPs are meant as wave clearers for farming, 1% are support for farming and 0.5% are actually useful for bosses.

cdyoung fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 16, 2021

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

Zeron posted:

Caster was uh, very hostile to Alice for some reason that I'm really not clear on.

I think it was mostly an uncomfortable attempt at a "jealous girlfriend" joke.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

DeTosh posted:

My guess is more 'overprotective' than 'jealous.'

She was polite (by Caster standards) to Drake, who never directly made an attempt on Hakuno's life aside from two quick duels, but was just as hostile to Robin as she was to Alice, as both came uncomfortably close to assassinating them.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

DeTosh posted:

Or being called a grandma by a pair of cute little girls.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XXXI - Choice

Music: None

This is the third death I've caused. The rules of the Holy Grail War demand that I kill. But that girl will never see another day because of me. The guilt weighs heavily on my soul.

A warm, caring voice breaks through my gloom.

The loss of life is a sad affair. Especially if it's a consequence of the ruthlessness of war.

Ruthlessness? I think "pointlessness" would be more accurate.

Point taken. However, you fight because you have no other choice. You either kill, or die. There is no mercy to be found in war. And the sadness of causing death is still there. But humanity dreams of the Holy Grail's power. They entrust their hopes to a higher power. They do this because they know that they aren't capable of doing what is best for all.

...More so than death, this fact is what saddens me the most, said Leo. That's really pathetic. People who can't save themselves and us who are already damned. Those words ring of someone who sees themselves as a savior of a world in chaos.

Wait before you pass judgment. I was born and raised to be king of the world. I'll remember your grief and her pain so that one day none will have to die for nothing. I have joined this battle in order to end the world's cycle of suffering and deprivation. Once control is restored, I can put an end to the conflicts brought on by scarcity and want. Isn't that what you desire? For your grief and her death to have meaning?

Leo's goals sounds nice, but how bad is the real world if the Harways, who control a good chunk of the world, have to resort to the Holy Grail to bring peace?

Of course, there's always a catch to these sorts of things.

Though his ideas are poison, there is a seductiveness to his words that is hard to ignore. Or maybe his ideas are what's needed to heal a fractured world. The boy's oddly comforting voice lifts my spirits, which had sunk after Alice's death.

Music: School I

I care about all. I wish nothing more than to see a world where everyone has their place.

And of course that place is under your rule, with you deciding who lives and who dies, correct? Your world is a place where you alone decide whether a child is to be fed or left to starve. Where a person's entire life is dictated by the whims of the Harway family's desires.

However, you are not a god. If you want to live as you do now forever, go ahead. I don't care. But for me, I cannot and will not accept things as they currently are now.

If you wish to build a country dominated by "saints," fine. Just leave humanity out of it.

So my information about you being a potential insurgent was correct after all, Miss Tohsaka. You assume I don't understand your position and in that you're wrong. However- You need to realize the efficient distribution of resources depends on proper management. I can assure you that my family has no plans to stockpile goods for financial gain. Once you see how we rule, you will understand our grand design for the well-being of humanity.

A paradise based on stasis and class immobility. No change and no hope of a better future.

Stability at the expense of hope and joy. A world where people don't live only merely exist.

I mock anyone who'd choose that path. Living as merely one of the flock doesn't appeal to me.

You got Leo and Rin dropping these huge JRPG philosophical speeches, meanwhile Hakuno is just off to the side awkwardly standing around.

See? Big 'parents are arguing so make yourself small,' vibes here.

Perhaps it is good to feel that you're in a fight to preserve your very existence. However, would you wish for all of mankind to suddenly be given the same strength?

Um...I mean...that is to say...

Of course you wouldn't. You are all too aware of your selfishness and your pride. Because of that, you could not share your pain with those without the strength to bear it.

I-I could, and would! I'm not as softhearted as you make me out to be.

Rin is exactly as softhearted as Leo makes her out to be.

The proof is literally right next to her!

What did you just say...?

Joy is ephemeral. In order to save humanity, you must first be willing to let them die. The world needs a strong leader, Miss Tohsaka. And once I gain the power of the Holy Grail-

Opposition to our rule comes from outside the farm, to expand on your analogy a little.

And there's the real rub to the Harway playbook.

Of course, we have plans to integrate the region should they choose to support our aims.

If everyone is equally valuable to Leo, then that means everyone is equally expendable. It makes no difference to him whether the Asian region joins up or not, so he'll happily consign them to death if it would be the simplest choice.

What exactly do you understand?

That I was right in entering the Holy Grail War this time around!

So, Leonardo Bistario Harway, heir apparent to the head of the plutocratic Harway family...

I swear to you that I will crush your delusions of genocide and despotic rule.

To be perfectly clear: You intend to kill me?

Seeing as I seriously doubt that anything short of taking your life would stop you, yes.

Also the fact that you literally cannot leave the Holy Grail War without killing everyone else.

...I see. I have faith that someone of your intellect will understand one day. —Or maybe you already do?

Rin's open declaration of war. ...I don't think it'll escalate hostilities the way it did with Julius. Leo has chosen his path and she has done so as well. Their battle will be fought within the Holy Grail War. One will win; the other will die.

Music: Stops

Unlike the real world I can feel the weight of this virtual world press down on me. Even so...

I have no choice but to fight.

That's right. When it comes down to it, fighting is my only real option. It's either fight or die. But how long can I keep this up? When I can't bring myself to continue even one step farther—

~

I refuse to continue fighting.

That's when I know I can't continue to fight any longer. I can't fight feeling like this. I can't find a reason for this madness. I will never survive the fourth round. Death would be the only outcome— But maybe if I find something worth fighting for, something that wouldn't be seen as trivial— Whether such a thing exists for me, I don't know. But at this point it's my only hope.

~

I will find a reason to go on.

Of course, it's not that simple. There's no time. It will all end when the fourth round begins. I can't lie to myself any longer. I cannot continue knowing it's all for nothing. I'm worth something. I have to fight on. If my opponents must die so I can live, so be it. I have nothing to base that assertion on. Right now I have nothing; I am nothing. That's why I need to find a reason for all of this. Any reason, even if it's a bad one. Just as long as it's nothing I'd be ashamed of when it comes time to face my opponents.

~~

The Grail War is really starting to wear Hakuno down. :ohdear: Everyone up till now either didn't understand the full stakes or had their own internal doubts, but the moment we fight someone who is in it to win, we're sunk.

Music: School III

Despite the key word tab getting flagged as having something new, we don't actually get anything.

Nursery Rhyme posted:

Nursery Rhyme is not a hero in the traditional sense. Rather, it is a general term for any picture book that has managed to manifest itself into a corporeal existence.

The genre itself, deeply loved by the children of England, came into being as a reaction to the half-voiced dreams of the young and eventually emerged as a Servant who became a champion of the innocent. It formed the foundation for perhaps the best known work from the author known as Lewis Carroll. His book "Alice in Wonderland" began as a series of simple rhymes told to the daughters of a family friend while rowing down the River Thames on a warm summer's day.

The Servant Nursery Rhyme is actually a type of Reality Marble. It projects the true feelings of its Master and creates a pseudo-servant in a form imagined by the one who summoned it.

The new week hasn't started yet.

The girl in red is Rin Tohsaka and the other is a girl the same age as Rin, or a little older.

Welp, Rin and Rani are killing each other.

Son of a-

Jesus Christ, Julius, personal space!

I'm not the only witness. It's Julius. He walks over to the bulletin after the two have left.

Neither side will hold back in the battle. If I could watch the fight I could learn quite a bit.

No stat screen tonight, as there's nothing for it to read.

Music: Duel of Fate

Her body language is as aloof as ever, but I can see the focus in her gaze. Today's the day they fight. One of them will die.

Pay no mind to how this completely breaks the established rules of the Elimination Battles almost entirely so Hakuno would be free when they fight.

What Julius said in front of the bulletin board about Rin and Rani's battle is still bugging me. Maybe it would be a good idea to track down Julius.

Yes, let's go track down the guy who would have killed us if it wasn't for Rin bailing us out. There's no possible way this could go wrong!

The Multimedia Room is on 3F, right by Rani's usual spot, for context.

I sense him moving, and shuffle away from the door in a panic. There's nowhere to hide.

His aura of murderous intent makes my heart leap out of my chest. But then he promptly leaves. Even though he's tried to kill me in the past, Julius doesn't seem to register my existence. Maybe I'm not worth it for him to suffer yet another penalty for fighting outside the Arena.

Oh good, we just so happened to catch Julius when he wasn't in a killing mood.

This is the first time we've seen the Multimedia Room.

It will also be the only time we see the Multimedia Room.

The Multimedia Room is a bit bigger than the regular classrooms. At the front of the room is a screen. Instead of a ceiling projector, there is an old-fashioned film projector. That's odd. It could be here all the time for all I know. I never visit this room—

Something must have been done to it, probably by Julius. For what purpose? As I reach out to inspect it—

Sound: Static

You can see '999,' 'Blazblue,' and 'Agarest' in the middle line, all games that Aksys localized.

Whatever the projctor did left Hakuno on the floor.

...Weird. When I touched it, sparks went flying in my brain. I think I was attacked by some program. But, although it makes me dizzy, the effects pass immediately. I don't think it did any damage. ...I wonder what it was? Somehow I don't think it was Julius's doing.

Sound: Weapon clash

The sound of battle continues for the next while.

Well this is unexpected!

This must be...an Elimination Battle between the two of them.

The projector is now showing Rin and Rani.

The film projector spins into motion, projecting images of the battle onto the screen.

Music: Duel - Kill Or Be Killed

We then cut to the Arena.

It seems that neither of them are special enough to get a custom Arena like we do, and get the basic tutorial area-themed one.

Rani's Servant is also bloody giant.

And Rin's Servant, while unknown to Hakuno, is another returning character from Fate/Stay Night. He's none other than Ireland's Child of Light: Cu Chulainn.

This is a small nod to Unlimited Blade Works back in Stay Night, where Cu's last words when he died were wishing that he could have had Rin as a Master.

Well, he got his wish. :unsmith:

It then transitions to an actual fight!

Julius was right, this is giving us a ton of info! Shame he's missing this.

Although the fight has a slow start.

With that wordless screaming, Rani's Servant can only be a Berserker.

Also the fact that every other class is accounted for, and the game is blatantly setting things up so we fight one Servant of each class. Gawain is a Saber, Julius' Servant is an Assassin, Cu is a Lancer, and we've already fought a Rider, Archer, and Caster. That leaves Berserker as the only one left.

T-that would kill Caster in one hit if it properly connects. :stare:

We may have come a long way since Week 1, but we're still a long way out from being able to take on actual trained Masters.

Even their regular attacks could 2-3 shot her.

Rin has her trademark Gandr shot, as always. (here called Gandor, for whatever reason)

Cu actually follows up!

Figures that the former heroine has one of the most flashy attacks we've seen so far.

The fight goes for a good while.

Berserker's buff adds a stun effect to either Attack or Break, I'll have to watch for that.

The fight ends after three rounds.

In any case, why did Julius leave halfway through? Was that his plan? Or did something go wrong?

Wha? Aren't you going to watch, Master? These two are having a pretty wild fight.

My Servant draws my attention to the screen. Rin and Rani are facing each other. The forms of their Servants can't be made out clearly. The image quality isn't bad, per se. It's more like there's a masking effect overlaid to hide them. Even with that security measure, I can tell both Servants wield long shafts. They're both Lancers, then.

Sound: Battle sounds

Cu was actually doing a bit better during the fight, if you watched closely, so this lines up.

Caster declares Rin's victory as if it were obvious.

The other Master is aggressive, but she's too slow to respond. At this level, that's a fatal flaw.

Oops, sorry! Am I spoiling the movie for you, Master? I'll be quiet now.

Rin notices she's winning, too. Her posture is full of confidence.

Sound: Static

And then, the clash suddenly stops. I can't make out what's going on, but I can tell that there's space between the two opponents now.

The static has leveled up, and now has a red filter!

Music: Breach

Sound: Heartbeat

"Hey Rani, go enter the Holy Grail War and learn what it means to be human. But if you start losing, blow yourself up." - Rani's professor, probably. Man, what a dick!

Wait , what? Atlas homunculi can pull off crazy stuff like that?

...You fool, this isn't something to self-destruct over! After taking a beating from Rin, Rani must be intending to use her last resort. Nevermind Rin, wouldn't that liquify the entire Arena...?

Her heart is a kiln on the verge of exploding. Anyone who saw her right now could tell. Rani's body was built with the capacity to overload like this.

I mean, she was going to die anyways, so now would be a good time to self destruct if you absolutely had to.

The first words we get from him, and he's making fun of his Master. Cu is great. :allears:

Rin's Servant addresses her with a flippant tone totally unsuited to the intensity of the situation.

Her heart's made of etherlite! Before she blows up the Arena, skewer her to the core with your Noble Phantasm!

Ooh, I like it when you're desperate. What a treat. All right, it's finally time to end this!

At Rin's command, Lancer takes a stance and gathers his strength. It builds and builds until—

Caster speaks her mind quietly in deference to my feelings, but I get the meaning loud and clear. This will settle the battle. They will destroy each other before they can even resort to Command Seals. Both of them might die on the spot. Even if one of them survives, she'd probably be fatally injured. While I'm lost in those terrible thoughts, Caster starts staring at me.

The static image on the screen is unchanged. Also Rani has already used a Command Seal, Hakuno, keep up here.

I didn't realize I was telegraphing my emotions. But, more importantly, what did my Servant just say? Could there be some way to save them? It sounds like there might be. ...What can be done?

...Wellll... I can't say there's NO way...

Her eyes downcast, she touches my left hand. My Command Seals.

But, only your Command Seals could teleport me to where they are.

So, it's actually impossible. Still, Command Seals exist to make miracles happen...

If it's what you want, Master, of course I'll do it.

But... you'll lose two precious Command Seals, and save a possible enemy. Do you want that, Master?

Hakuno is too nice to not do anything, so you don't even get the option to walk away.

Now, whoever gets saved here impacts the entire rest of the game. I am covering both routes, just to show off what changes between them, but my plan is to let the thread vote on who gets first dibs, doing a week of one, then a week of the other. I'll skip over any shared content (and there is a good amount of it, this is Extra, after all) on whoever goes second.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 14, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

This week's updates are coming fast this time, as I want to get this vote out of the way so I can start building a backlog.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Save Rani this go around. It'll be funnier to save Rin with a different servant.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Arbite posted:

Save Rani this go around. It'll be funnier to save Rin with a different servant.

They're covering both. This vote is just on who gets to go first each week.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

What would've happened if both died here? Next week someone just gets a free out of a fight?

Because if so, god, Hakuno's niceness is playing against her hard. She could've actually avoided having yet another death on her consciousness (because even if she saves one of them, either she or someone else will have to murder them anyways)

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Save Rin because she's helped us a lot so far so it's nice to return the favour. Also Cu is great.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Save Rani Rin had her time as a heroine, let someone else have the spotlight!

Cloudmonkey98
Apr 1, 2019
As someone who beat Extra(with flagrant abuse of Save states by the end) going Fem-Caster-Rin on Normal, I vote Rani first!

Also I think the discrepency way back at the start of the game regarding money in the tutorial image is difficulty related, I think you get 25% more dosh on Easy

The consequences of this choice are hilarious on multiple levels and I anticipate with glee, also Nursery Rhyme is sweet ... and I think we all missed an important aspect in the whole "shielding Alice's eyes" thing, Nursery Rhyme is the embodiment of childhood innocence, if Alice had had that shattered, it likely would not just have rattled her as a Master, but probably crippled Nursery Rhyme at a conceptual level, which would turn bad to worse as a Servant who's stats are, I'm pretty sure, factually worse then Drake in most fields besides HP, does not need their only useful powers crippled
Also the concept of a Reality Marble strong enough to project child-Marbles is a terrifying power, and well beyond the abilities for most Magi to support, it's pretty safe to assume that Rhyme has never ever been stronger then she was here, between compatibility with Alice, and Alice's physically unbridled capacity to support Rhyme

Also I never saw her NP, thanks for showing it, she died so fast even for my build, I went 2/1 MAG/DEF iirc, and like, A: AGI is SUCH a fuckin dumpstat, even with base AGI you outspeed almost every boss's Skills with Caster, I think Gawain is faster but gently caress Gawain(yes I think Caster is actually faster then Robin Hood iirc, though maybe Caster's skills just have strong speed mods), and B: Holy poo poo I needed more STR, I took some, especially earlier, but man I think I shoulda taken more yet

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Just a reminder that I'm using a poll for this vote, so make sure you cast your vote there.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

So we're not even bothering with kayfabe on who is Rin's servant. Does that apply to that* servant too?

*the monk as a master
E: I'm not talking about Archerkins

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Omobono posted:

So we're not even bothering with kayfabe on who is Rin's servant. Does that apply to that* servant too?

*the monk as a master

Go nuts, once they actually show up, provided you only talk about stuff that isn't in Extra/CCC.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
I feel like I have a pretty good idea who Rani's servant is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It’s the helmet it gives him away.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Arbite posted:

This makes me wonder if the remake will have a special scene or dialogue is if you save Rin with Archer,

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

MonsterEnvy posted:

It’s the helmet it gives him away.

True, though the rest of his gear is also an unsubtle hint.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Was thinking the exact same thing. Feels like even more of a gimme than Robin Hood.

I wanna save Rin, if only because she didn't immediately try to suicide bomb when she started losing.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead
I remember that scene, where suddenly this becomes Shin Megami Tensei and Leo and Rin go all Law Hero/Chaos Hero. Yet they both make significantly better points than any SMT game ever has.

I love absolutely everything about this game except the gameplay. If only it was a novel instead.

Voted Rani because Rin Tohsaka already got to be the hero of another story.

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020
I'm going to be an odd ball; since we'll eventually see both outcomes, I voted to save Rani purely on the point that in Fate/Extra Last Encore's English Dub she's voiced by Christine Marie Cabanos.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I'm calling the poll here.

Move over, Rin, Rani gets to be the heroine now!

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Twintails Tsundere? No! Brown skin emotionless girl!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XXXII - What is burned in

Music: Breach

Well the thread has chosen.

And we're saving Rani!

Music: Battle - Fourth Chimeric Lunar Sea

Power surges through my feet, electrifying the air and bending the floor. Space warps around me. The distortion rips a hole in the screen. My Servant leaps toward it and the world melts into streaks. My vision goes black from the rapid acceleration. My hand tingles where the Command Seal burned off.

Sound: Heartbeats
Sound: Energy charging

When I open my eyes, I find myself in the Arena. Out of the frying pan into the fire, literally. The air sparks as the Arena begins to melt around Rani.

You...?!

Neither of them have the slightest clue about what's going on.

The magic swirling around Rani's body ebbs a bit in response to her surprise at the sudden intruder.

Before I can so much as blink, Rani's hulking Servant has turned his spear on me...!

Unfortunately, Berserker doesn't care.

Rani's order falls on deaf ears. I expected as much. Since her Servant is a Berserker, he can probably only see other Masters as enemies.

The downside to Mad Enhancement is that it makes Berserkers exceptionally poor to a sudden change in situation. They have two settings: Rip, and Tear. :black101:

Use another Command Seal, Master! If we can defend against them, the SE.RA.PH should intervene!

Stay Night, and Extra by extension, use these kinds of erratic lines for a Berserker's roars. It helps sells the 'wordless screaming' angle much better when they don't even use letters, let alone full words.

Alright, Berserker was dealing 600 damage a hit against Cu, so he'd two shot Caster's nonexistant health pool. Plus, the fact that we don't have an Info Matrix on him means we don't get any of his actions revealed.

So hell yeah I'm burning a second!

Burning a Command Seal gives a useless full heal, but it also shows every action he has.

On the plus side, we only have to survive one turn before the SE.RA.PH breaks us up.

And before you ask, no, saving a Command Seal and surviving anyways does not give you an option to use it down the line. As far as the plot is concerned, Hakuno's Command Seals cease to exist after this.

I eat a hit to see what Berserker's damage is like, and he also brings in a new command type to the fray.

Wait makes him skip his action, as the name implies. He gets the Slaking deal, where he deals massive damage but loses actions to balance it out. Caster in particular hates Wait, as it means you can't use a Curse to stun him out of his next action. Berserker decides to go Wait -> Skill? Too bad, you're eating a hit.

Yeah, this would be a lot riskier if I didn't know all his actions for the round.

The hilarious thing is that the game is treating this like a normal Master battle, so Rani chimes in even though she tried to stop Berserker five seconds ago.

Even the chip damage from Guarding an attack is high.

His Skill would probably kill me, so I pop a heal and set up with Aphotic Cave.

Aphotic Cave gives 75% damage reduction vs Skills.

That would have dealt 1200 damage if it landed cleanly! Caster doesn't even have four digits worth of health!

Thankfully, the fight ends with that.

Cu rushes in.

Shame we can't actually, you know, show it.

CCC gets much, much better about dynamic cutscenes, but Extra is stuck with canned animations with occasional sound bites, even on major things like this.

The giant gives a bestial roar and charges at the lance wielder who impaled his Master's chest. However-

That counts as a loss, so the barrier goes up.

An impassible barrier drops down between Rin and Rani. Maybe it's because of my intrusion, or because the SE.RA.PH declared a victor.

The barrier also blocks sound for no reason, for the first and only time in the game.

Rin is shouting something, but the barrier prevents me from hearing it. She points at me, frightened— No! She's not pointing at me, but behind me at Rani! Hooked on the end of the red lance that pierced Rani is an energy core on the verge of exploding!

Music: Duel - Prelude to Confrontation

On the plus side, at least the explosion will get us before the deletion does!

We'll die if we're hit by that! We'll dieee!

Log out— I know that's what I have to do. If I just give in to the pressure wrapping around my body, I'll be back on campus soon. But, then, what about her? What about that girl who's lying wounded on the ground? A barrier separates her and Rin. I, who had fought with Berserker, was suddenly by the fallen girl— by Rani...!

She's alive...! Even though her chest is pierced through, Rani's still alive!

Yeeagh! I knew it! I knew you'd end up doing that!

Suddenly, I realize I'm running. Toward Rani, the lance that pierced her a few meters away, where the core is about to explode.

I'm not listening. I gather Rani in my arms and run, waiting for the SE.RA.PH to kick me out. ...It doesn't happen in time. Faster than the SE.RA.PH can log me out, Rani's heart liguifies the area—

Sound: Explosions

Rani's Servant's body breaks apart, becoming a sort of shield for us as he runs toward the heart. I don't know if he did it to protect his Master, or simply because he saw the explosion as an "enemy." But, right before he disappears, he turns toward us with a gentle smile on his face.

...I come to in the Multimedia Room. The Command Seal on my left hand is now smaller, but my exhausted Servant and Rani are by my side.

Those words are all she can manage. She blacks out. ...The wound on her chest seems to have healed already. And somehow, she's still alive without her heart. I always sensed she was special, even among Masters. As I tend to Rani, I glance at the screen. It's dark—probably because of the earlier explosion.

What a coincidence, she happened to heal up just in time to avoid having to make a new character model! :v:

According to the doctor, she awoke briefly, but immediately fell back into a comatose state. They say her body is fine, so she must be mentally exhausted. After nearly an hour, Rani's long eyelashes flutter open.

Music: School IV

She blinks twice, three times.

Her voice is small and her words are spoken flatly. She stares blankly into thin air, her eyes glassy and distant. She reminds me of— Yeah, of a broken doll.

Talk to her.

I try to meet Rani's eyes as I begin speaking to her.

Rani is in rather rough shape, understandably.

She doesn't respond. Without the faint breathing and blinking, she's so lifeless she could pass for dead.

~

Hold her hand.

I gently press the delicate wrist as it rests on the bed.

My first impression of Rani's hand is that it's soft and very, very cold, and so thin— Feeble, like it would snap if I accidentally squeezed too hard.

Even after I've held her hand for a while, her fingers remain icy. Faint breathing and the occasional blink is all that identifies her as a human being.

~

Call her name.

I lean down to her pillow and whisper her name.

I think- I think her eyes moved. But now, she's staring blankly at the ceiling again.

~~

Hopefully she'll be a bit better tomorrow.

Come to think of it, I haven't heard a peep out of my Servant in a while. They must be angry...

I was just thinking really hard. Would you feel better if we talked? I always do! Let's see, something to talk about...

The tone of her voice is the same, but her words seem forced. What's really on her mind?

Knowing Caster? She's worried Hakuno might catch feelings for Rani.

I was just thinking how valuable that woman must be for you to have used a Command Seal for her.

Nailed it.

But, no matter how you look at it, that girl is broken. You wouldn't abandon her, would you, Master?

I wonder, if that had been me, would you have done the same...?

...Oops. Silly me! I shouldn't think about me when my Master is the one who's really valuable. My Master could use a hundred—no, two hundred Command Seals and still deserve to use more!

Seemingly satisfied, Caster leaves. Too nervous to call Caster back, I decide to leave for now.

Rin, being significantly less impaled and with zero self destruct attempts, is in much better condition.

I look up to see Rin Tohsaka leaning casually against a wall. She's obviously waiting for me...

We did break a hell of a lot of rules there, huh...

Just her glare is enough to convey all of the anger and hostility she has towards me. Not that I blame her. If I had interfered in the Coliseum, we all would have died. Considering her powers as a Wizard, Rin could just drag me somewhere to fight like Julius did. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that her curiosity is the only thing keeping me alive.

If Masters can start teaming up, it'll completely destroy the balance of the Holy Grail War. Even the most skillful use of a Command Seal shouldn't be enough to bypass the Coliseum's security. To be blunt, you don't seem like that great of a Wizard. How did you pull off the impossible? ...And before you answer, remember that I reward truth and reason, and punish lies and stupidity. Don't be naive enough to think Julius is the only who knows how to circumvent the rules. I'm willing to risk drawing the ire of the system to deal with a threat of this magnitude.

Rin complaining about Masters teaming up is hysterical, considering that was one of the first things she did back in Stay Night.

I mean, it's not like we intentionally teamed up. He just set up the doohickey and didn't take it down when he left.

As no real battle information was exposed, the identity of Rin's Servant remains unknown. Though she would never admit it, it's obvious that she's more than a little relieved by the thought. Of course, Rin being Rin, her facade of suspicion and hostility didn't disappear entirely.

But if Julius wasn't able to break through the security, how did you manage to pull it off? Trying to break through the firewall would have caused the system to fry your brain.

Well there's an explanation for Julius not trying to kill us again. Why do all the work when there's a perfect trap that can do the job for him?

That can't be right. Even if your body is safe, your brain wouldn't be able to handle the strain...

...ah hell.

We're a ghost, aren't we?

I could see the bewilderment in her eyes. Her confusion ALMOST overcame her normal animosity.

That's why Alice kept calling us the same.

However, if you choose to continue fighting, we will remain enemies. Keep that in mind. One last thing: DO NOT spy on me again. Should you try, your suffering will be legendary...

Who names their kid Twice?

Do they have an older sibling named Once?

Twice? I can't recall hearing the name. I might have heard the name before, but... Why bring him up now?

We have heard of him, actually!

Update I posted:

Tige... I mean Ms. Fujimura is conducting class today the same way she does everyday.

You may not know, but when I was young, an unknown pathogen was the cause of a serious epidemic. In fact, outbreaks were common. But now, most illnesses are cured using nanothingymajigs! And FYI, I'm still young. This will be on the test so be sure you don't forget it. I mean it.

Waaaaaaaaay back during the prologue.

No reason, really. You kind of remind me of him. Never mind, just forget I asked.

I am left alone with my thoughts as she turns and walks away.

Next time: We meet a holy warrior.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 14, 2023

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Oh yes, Dr. Twice Pieceman, a one-time colleague of Hot Coldman and Die-Hardman.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ratoslov posted:

Oh yes, Dr. Twice Pieceman, a one-time colleague of Hot Coldman and Die-Hardman.

Dr. Eggman confirmed as coming from a weird Nasuverse side-universe.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
I'm sure reviving Rani will involve diving into her psyche and learning her deepest, darkest secrets, and all that.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

DeTosh posted:

I'm sure reviving Rani will involve diving into her psyche and learning her deepest, darkest secrets, and all that.

You give the game too much credit, what do you think this is? An AA+ studio? Most Type-moon games not the melty blood series are made on the cheap side, until they prove to be successful. Or are fan games.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead
This story arc featuring special guest writer Hideo Kojima, everyone.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

DeTosh posted:

I'm ready for the Fate/Ar Tonelico crossover.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XXXIII - The fourth Master

I've even taken the life of a child. Master or not, Alice was just a young girl. I wonder if I deserve to be alive. And what is my reason for continuing on? Shinji was determined to survive until the end, even as he screamed in panic that he didn't want to die. Though Dan was true of heart, he died still believing that every battle had true meaning. And Alice...who was just lonely. A lost little child who only wanted someone to play with. The one who overcame them all and took their lives in the process was me. Using my Servant as a weapon. I wonder if my purpose is enough to compensate for taking their lives. My purpose... —To avoid death. And as for what Dan said. That he wanted me to find some meaning in my battles. Could I really find something like that inside myself when I don't even know who, or what, I am?

Hakuno's been putting this off to survive, but now that she's found her footing in the Holy Grail War she just can't keep mindlessly pushing onward. She'll either find an actual reason to fight, or crumple under her guilt.

Music: School I (The school music has been replaced!)

Like always, the school is deserted until we get our next opponent.

So let's go find out who we're dealing with this week.

While I ponder what to make of the name...

Oh god he's a giant. :stare:

The deep, steely voice came from behind me.

Are you a pilgrim without a mecca to strive for? Beholden neither to greed nor noble intentions?

I'm approached by a man built like a mountain. He radiates confidence and his eyes glisten with fanatical assurance, though I'm not sure what about.

His voice clips use 'kisama,' to give an idea of what kind of guy he is.

I am a warrior of my god, which is the noblest calling one may have in this fleeting world. The world shall know redemption once I have placed my god upon the throne of this world. Can you sense it? The ferocious power flowing out of me, shielding me from the carnage! *Chuckle* Oh, but this power is not mine, my friend. I am but a vessel for the omnipotence of god!

Gatou can be best described as...

What if you took several religions, threw them in a blender, and hit purée?

Not Hariti, nor even the Comma Johanneum, could not birth a Sukhavati of this magnitude. Is it acceptable for this god, so rich with power, to have but one lowly follower?

I feel sorry for whatever translator had to deal with this.

All humanity deserves to reach Eden! Do you not agree?!

...I have absolutely no idea what he's talking about. One thing is clear. This man named Gatou has conviction and passion. ...In suffocating quantities.

Oh yeah, I bet you forgot about the person that you accidentally rescued! You should go tease her a little.

Listening to Caster talk reminds me of something. The one I saved using my Command Seal to disrupt her Elimination Battle should be in the nurse's office now. —I wonder if she's all right. It might be a selfish thought on my part, but I wonder if going to see her will change anything. I should probably go to the nurse's office later and visit her.

Note the intentionally vague dialogue: "Person you accidentally rescued," "the one I saved." As the game now has to deal with two versions of every week, it likes to use generic scenes to save on work. When we loop back for Rin's version of Week 4, we'll get the exact same scene here.

Gatou's Info Matrix has opened up.

Our friend is gone... :smith:

The hallway is empty... :smith:

What we'll be facing in the Arena will be more challenging than ever, but we'll get through it together! ♥

You're a weirdo magnet, huh?

You look pretty laid back. Did you consider how risky it was to save a Master like her? Jeez... That was uncalled for.

The other two people are gone... :smith:

Entering the library kicks off a cutscene.

—Suddenly, my eyes stop on a book. The spine is white and textless. I feel...drawn to it. I pull the book out and open it. Inside is the following—

Hey, you know how we haven't gotten all that much background lore, despite being about halfway through the game?

Time to remedy that.

So yeah, the very first thing we learn is that the Moon Cell is an alien supercomputer.

Leo steps in.

—At some point, Leo and his Servant had walked up to me.

Don't mind me. Enjoy the read.

-Leo's sudden appearance made me nervous, but I want to learn more about the Holy Grail.

No wonder a man-made system can't replicate the SE.RA.PH. Compared to recording every scrap of life on Earth, the Holy Grail War with its countless layered Reality Marbles might as well be as simple as running a calculator on your phone.

Eons of life on Earth...recorded? That's... extraordinary. So extraordinary that I can barely process it...

We Harways even know the material that composes the Holy Grail. Come back here if you're interested.

Leo and his Servant leave. What's inside this book is just the tip of the iceberg? If that's the case, then what does he know?

Alice, Sir Blackmore, and Shinji Matou were all considered to be top contenders. You're blessed with incredible fortune, Hakuno. May victory continue to be yours.

Library guy is gone... :smith:

We've reached the midpoint of the Holy Grail War. That doesn't mean you can afford to coast, though. May the Holy Grail continue to illuminate your path.

Despite Leo's words, he's gone for the day. We'll have to wait a bit before we pump him for info.

...Hmm. As she has lost her Servant, I guess she will be given special dispensation... However, should she intervene in any battle from here on out... her existence will be immediately terminated by the Holy Grail. Please tell her to be careful.

With Rani in the nurse's office, Issei is now the only person on 3F.

Also interesting how, despite breaking many rules to pull it off, the system is just allowing Rani to live. Doubly so considering losing your Servant normally kills you instantly.

I guess the Moon Cell is just lazy, and since Rani dodged deletion in the Arena, it can't be bothered to do it again. Alien supercomputers don't like extra work, who knew?

...You're not shacking up...? Haha, I see your game. Playing the chivalrous hero, are we?

Of course this rear end in a top hat survived.

Playing the hero is all well and good, except for the part where she's your enemy!

Foodie is gone... :smith:

I will redouble my efforts as commissary manager to ensure you have everything you need to win. New Mystic Codes have been trickling in, so be on the lookout for new items.

No new items this week.

But we do have two new Mystic Codes.

The Seraphic Music Box gives us regen, but more importantly, it gives a massive 70 point boost to our Master MP, the highest boost to date.

While the Protection Charm gives a slightly smaller boost and gives a Defense buff cast.

Man, was I wrong about you... You might just be a memory, but you're still a Wizard, it seems.

The girlfriend is gone... :smith:

Touko's generic text has changed.

But helping an enemy is a pretty frivolous thing to do. I wonder what your opponent thinks...

The thirsty girl is gone... :smith:

...actually only half a :smith:, her constant lusting over her Servant really creeped me out.

It was that buff old guy. He was just staring off into space and mumbling about some weird god... I mean, is that guy really a Master like the rest of us?

Music: School III

I try to greet her, but she doesn't even look my way. Then, suddenly, Rani's mouth opens. Her wide eyes remain unfocused, and her body doesn't move, but small, monotone words escape from her lips.

Rani repeats herself, staring at the ceiling. Why... Why did you save me? Because your brain was about to be destroyed. Because you were going to die. You were killing each other, and I was about to watch someone die. Anyone would've stepped in. At least, -I- had to. I might not have memories, but it felt like my past self was urging me on.

Without the last parallax artifact created by the Atlas Institute... I no longer have purpose.

Looks like Hakuno isn't the only one having an existential crisis this week.

Rani speaks without inflection. The parallax artifact must be that heart—or whatever—that she tried to drive critical. No, if it was really her heart, she'd be dead. She's always been emotionless, but how despondent she is right now really takes the cake.

My words just die. I come here to stop worrying, and her question drives a stick into the bee's nest of my emotions. After I am unable to answer for several long, tense moments, Rani mutters my name.

She keeps talking, as if drawing slowly closer to a conclusion.

In other words, I no longer have any reason to exist.

Rani then falls silent. She simply stares blankly at the ceiling, as if refusing further contact. Did I save her life in order to discover my own raison d'etre? She had a motive to risk her life for the Holy Grail. With my intervention, I managed to waltz in and cripple that motive. Suddenly, I'm startled out of my silent contemplation by a beeping from my computer terminal.

I think it would be good to follow the prompt from my terminal, and leave this place.

We may have crippled Rani's entire reason to live, but look on the bright side!

I don't have any medicines for you today, but I've made you a lunch. I hope you like it...

Sakura is right here, so I can get my weekly supplies before I leave!

Sakura has stopped giving out generic items, and is now handing out handmade lunches to all the Masters. Her first set, the Special Lunch, sounds like a combined Ether Fragment and Remedy, but is actually even better! There are a few status effects a Remedy can't clear, but Sakura's Lunch will heal all of them.

After talking to Rani, 1F gets a new cutscene.

That bit of seemingly heart-felt abuse could only come from one person...

It looks like you somehow managed to erect a barrier, even as you play dumb for Julius.

You'd better have a convincing answer, or your trips to the Arena will become a nightmare.

Rin's gaze becomes sharp enough to cut glass. I somehow know that the wrong answer will be fatal. However, that realization makes it easier to answer, as I have nothing to lose at this point. To find out what exactly I am. Several people have asked me the same thing, and their curiosity is tinged with suspicion and unease. Am I really so different from the other Masters...? Rin's expression quickly changes from one of hostility to one of unease in the blink of an eye.

...Fine. Just...take this and go to the Arena now.

As she's speaking, Rin hands me something. ...A jeweled pendant? Why would she give me...?

Anomaly...? What could that possibly...?

Think of them as flaws in the firewall. Normally secure data will sometimes be leaked through them.

That gem has been banned as a Mystic Code. It'll let you access any distortions you find. Distortions contain various kinds of information. You might learn something to allay your worries. It's a simple process, really. Just track down a distortion and the pendant will do the rest. If my theory is correct, you should be able to learn more about yourself. I'm sure of it.

Interestingly, the pendant isn't actually an item. It'll never show up in your inventory.

A clue about my identity? The opportunity to learn about myself would be worth any cost. I gratefully accept her gift, ignoring the potential for danger. If I can find any clue about myself, the reward will outweigh the risks. For the time being, I need to thank her.

We'll see each other again... If your luck manages to hold, that is...

...So I just need to take this with me into the Arena and find those shining areas. To charge this item and find clues about myself, I'll hunt down the Arena's magic hotspots.

Time to see if Rin's info is on the mark.

Next time: We meet his god.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

After several months searching, I finally managed to get a PS5.

So... uh... only one update next week. :v: