Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

sauer kraut posted:

I only know Vancouver from The Killing TV series. Is the huge bridge that goes north? into redneck country and loops into the giant reservation peninsula ok?
That looked kinda important and like a pita to fix.

e; oh no that was Seattle, gently caress

the story took place in Seattle but all of the shooting took place in Vancouver. they just add aerial shots of the Seattle skyline here and there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Spergin Morlock posted:

the story took place in Seattle but all of the shooting took place in Vancouver. they just add aerial shots of the Seattle skyline here and there

i've watched so much cheap canadian sci fi that i am better able to recognize the vancouver skyline than most american cities ive actually lived in

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I went to a conference in Vancouver 3 years ago and stepped out for 3 hours to have gay sex with a local in town. I had to take a ferry near the convention center to the north to get to where he lived. Now that guy lives in New Jersey, apparently working for the EPA. I guess I glad he got out though we haven't spoken in years.

Other memories include that I accidentally stole a tube of toothpaste from the homeless man sharing the hostel room I was staying in when packing my things to leave. He was really annoying and constantly trying to talk to me but he didn't deserve to lose his toothpaste. I still have it in a bag somewhere. I haven't had the heart to either use it or throw it away.

That is my Vancouver story. I wonder if I'll ever go there again.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Mayor Dave posted:

i've watched so much cheap canadian sci fi that i am better able to recognize the vancouver skyline than most american cities ive actually lived in

also a lot of "New York City" shows are actually filmed in Toronto these days

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
It's been pretty wild in BC this year and will probably get way more intense but tbh after 30 years in FL and 5 in BC I wouldn't think of going back for a second.

I'd just much rather go through this poo poo here with these people than anywhere else I've ever been with any other folks. So if we get all of the climate change craziness first then so be it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mayor Dave posted:

i moved from california to the pnw based partly on the assumption that things would remain stable here longer than they would down there

lol. lmao

lucky.

it probably will. ca is still in a big rear end drought and burning down. pretty much one big heat wave and massive power outage/dry taps from pure chaos. pnw will also burn down tho

i hope you at least picked like olympia or something

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Rime posted:

In a little over five months BC has experienced:

- A heat dome which killed hundreds and incinerated a town, temps reaching 50c.

- The worst wildfire season in decades.

- Multiple bomb cyclone events.

- A waterspout making landfall as a tornado, in Vancouver.

- Multiple atmospheric rivers, each breaking the records of the last.

-The worst flooding event in provincial history, disrupting or destroying all road and rail routes in or out of the lower mainland and inundating multiple towns / small cities.

I think I forgot something, tbh.

Sincerely, in my wildest dreams I did not expect my home to be the hyper-accellerating canary of spiralling climate change. If anything, I expected it to be the stable zone everyone else fled towards. Holy gently caress. :stare:

if it’s any solace, it was a lot worse at the beginning of the current interstitial period. when the last of the 2 mile high glaciers in North America would slowly melt in enormous lakes before shattering themselves open, dumping more water on the pnw in hours than has ever flowed in the Mississippi, carving geological features that should take millions of years in days. throwing 100 foot round boulders from Canada to Oregon.

at least the roads washing out aren’t as bad right?

right?

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

lmao I was going to move to Vancouver before covid hit, borders closed a week before I was set to travel. one of the reasons was to be in a better place for this whole climate change thing.

dodged a bullet there I think

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
i don't think i've seen anyone post about this, but my mind's been on plastic and i remembered condoms are (usually) plastic so we pretty much gently caress each other with plastic too

lol :rubby:

Mayor Dave posted:

yeah this guy may be a little too chill

https://i.imgur.com/EBNLldn.mp4

see, you guys? you see? it's gonna be ok after all

Alobar has issued a correction as of 10:33 on Nov 16, 2021

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
condoms are rubber dawg

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Tabletops posted:

condoms are rubber dawg

polyurethane

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
remembering when i crack pinged at the entire wal mart rug selection being 100% big bad beautiful plastic

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Shima Honnou posted:

polyurethane

a tiny amount of condoms are polyurethane.

it doesn’t matter, he said we fuckin with plastic and I have never and will never gently caress plastic

I want it to be clear that I only gently caress trees

Tabletops has issued a correction as of 12:11 on Nov 16, 2021

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

I just realised I never heard her speech in full.

The media really covered the "how dare you" part but the rest was conspicuously underreported. No wonder why given what she said.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i live in the Great Lakes region and y’all kept saying it’s the best place to be during climate change so just want to preemptively ask you to avenge me when the entire gta sinks hundreds of feet into the earth

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Wtf who told you that? Nowhere in the USA is good to be for climate change. Move to a country with a low and relatively unarmed population. Could you imagine being stuck on a continent full of Americans when the world is falling part? Terrifying.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Wtf who told you that? Nowhere in the USA is good to be for climate change. Move to a country with a low and relatively unarmed population. Could you imagine being stuck on a continent full of Americans when the world is falling part? Terrifying.

People ITT did say that the UP or whatever was a relatively stable climate area. If you don't count the great lakes bouncing around between flood and drought.

But yeah everyone knows that New Zealand Madagascar is the place to be.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

People ITT did say that the UP or whatever was a relatively stable climate area. If you don't count the great lakes bouncing around between flood and drought.

Madagascar is definitely NOT the place to be

https://twitter.com/WFP/status/1460545521005867010?t=dXlDjkYPbt1xbGbOxmQ1tg&s=19

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Funky See Funky Do posted:

to clarify, gta = greater Toronto area

though we will absolutely get invaded eventually so maybe a moot point

edit: oh wait you said continent so maybe I misread you

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

every time this conversation comes up people are usually talking about the general temperature increase and the day-to-day effects from that. In the 3c world we are headed for (Area) will have (Variables) that makes it better than (Other Area.) That's why all of these "Safe" areas usually start in northern latitudes with a bunch of fresh water that are currently not densely populated. Then you just pick your flavor (Pacific West / Central Lakes / East Atlantic) and try not to think about how all of these cold damp old growth forests are going to handle the multi-year droughts that are coming.

When the weather patterns are destabilized and are rapidly changing from month to month then it's just a diceroll. I'm not sure how long it will take to settle into the new lovely normal that makes all of that raw data like +Latitude +Water -Population work in a raw +Temperature world.

Sure hope this isn't the new normal though because there is just zero way to deal with it. Jet stream dies one year? The PNW might get ocean winds and the East Atlantic might get some air moving but the Central Lakes are going to be 110F+ for a month or two. The East Atlantic might get hit by a Category 6 hurricane. The PNW will apparently get apocalyptic flooding and heat domes. Either way if the square states lose a year of crops sitting in a relatively mild 90F spring doesn't really do much for you.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 13:01 on Nov 16, 2021

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Rectal Death Adept posted:

every time this conversation comes up people are usually talking about the general temperature increase and the day-to-day effects from that. In the 3c world we are headed for (Area) will have (Variables) that makes it better than (Other Area.) That's why all of these "Safe" areas usually start in northern latitudes with a bunch of fresh water that are currently not densely populated. Then you just pick your flavor (Pacific West / Central Lakes / East Atlantic) and try not to think about how all of these cold damp old growth forests are going to handle the multi-year droughts that are coming.

When the weather patterns are destabilized and are rapidly changing from month to month then it's just a diceroll. I'm not sure how long it will take to settle into the new lovely normal that makes all of that raw data like +Latitude +Water -Population work in a raw +Temperature world.

Sure hope this isn't the new normal though because there is just zero way to deal with it. Jet stream dies one year? The PNW might get ocean winds and the East Atlantic might get some air moving but the Central Lakes are going to be 110F+ for a month or two. The East Atlantic might get hit by a Category 6 hurricane. The PNW will apparently get apocalyptic flooding and heat domes. Either way if the square states lose a year of crops sitting in a relatively mild 90F spring doesn't really do much for you.

so what you're saying is.......

things aren't that bad, yet

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rime posted:

In a little over five months BC has experienced:

- A heat dome which killed hundreds and incinerated a town, temps reaching 50c.

- The worst wildfire season in decades.

- Multiple bomb cyclone events.

- A waterspout making landfall as a tornado, in Vancouver.

- Multiple atmospheric rivers, each breaking the records of the last.

-The worst flooding event in provincial history, disrupting or destroying all road and rail routes in or out of the lower mainland and inundating multiple towns / small cities.

I think I forgot something, tbh.

Sincerely, in my wildest dreams I did not expect my home to be the hyper-accellerating canary of spiralling climate change. If anything, I expected it to be the stable zone everyone else fled towards. Holy gently caress. :stare:

How’s Winnipeg doing these days?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1460421685748723715?t=p-wHvL4YHczS-mYOSVooUg&s=19

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

UP has stable climate but you’ll also have to join a militia

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mayor Dave posted:

yeah this guy may be a little too chill

https://i.imgur.com/EBNLldn.mp4

Just ride on the sidewalk higher up dude nobodys gonna blame you

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

i think that's a realtor sign :rubby:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
https://twitter.com/SchislerCole/status/1460370202755952642?s=20

amazing

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RC Cola posted:

Actually you'll find that everything is normal and cool and good

Yes, the adults are in charge now.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Cold on a Cob posted:

i think that's a realtor sign :rubby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85cL1HisrNc

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

rip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrZ88ooxYf4

last track is a doozy

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Rectal Death Adept posted:

to be clear, this is not the new normal. this is the +1.1C normal. by the end of the decade we will be finding out what the ~+1.4C normal looks like and then we'll go on to see what the new ~+1.7C normal looks like in the decade after that. those ones are very very locked in by now, baring a miracle like cold fusion or covid-23 cutting the population by 80%.

even in a d&d lib's wildest fantasy the late-gen-x/elder-millenial goon will never see a stable climate in their remaining lifetime

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRtl5X8_53w

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

MightyBigMinus posted:

to be clear, this is not the new normal. this is the +1.1C normal. by the end of the decade we will be finding out what the ~+1.4C normal looks like and then we'll go on to see what the new ~+1.7C normal looks like in the decade after that. those ones are very very locked in by now, baring a miracle like cold fusion or covid-23 cutting the population by 80%.

even in a d&d lib's wildest fantasy the late-gen-x/elder-millenial goon will never see a stable climate in their remaining lifetime

yeah that's the best part, flapping my arms and raving about how we're doooooooomed at people and neither they nor I can accurately conjecture what horror is yet to come

e; I love everyone in here, thank you for making life tolerable

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 14:49 on Nov 16, 2021

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

MightyBigMinus posted:

add to this that these processes aren't linear, so everybody better get ready for a wild ride

once all the artic ice is gone, the albedo losses and heat no longer being absorbed by melting will kick artic warming up a notch

at that point the previous energy imbalance and associated transfer (ie climate) between the equator and pole will be well and truly dead, while the lower atmosphere keeps trapping more and more heat

if we then find some kind of inflection point or enter a different cycle in the ocean-atmosphere heat exchange, where oceans currently are taking up massive amounts of energy, the content will be coming hard and fast

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Checking in from the Pacific Northwest. I live just south of the border with Canada. We got 4.5” of rain in 36 hours. There’s nowhere for the water to go, and the city’s wastewater plant is maxed out on capacity and can’t drain it any faster. Schools were closed yesterday and are closed again today. Roads are closed all over town. I-5 is closed just south of town, as are all reasonable detours, which royally fucks a lot of international freight that passes through here.

I live on a hill, so I guess I’m lucky.

Edit: Looks like they just reopened one direction of I-5.

https://twitter.com/wsdot_north/status/1460594880690884610?s=21

Bob Socko has issued a correction as of 14:57 on Nov 16, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

i live in the Great Lakes region and y’all kept saying it’s the best place to be during climate change so just want to preemptively ask you to avenge me when the entire gta sinks hundreds of feet into the earth

the greats lakes is the best place to be for climate change, but the GTA is the worst place in the great lakes to be.

move to sudbury

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Rutibex posted:

the greats lakes is the best place to be for climate change, but the GTA is the worst place in the great lakes to be.

move to sudbury

we're honestly trying to figure out where we want to move to while we ride out the last 30* years or so of our lives because staying in the toronto suburbs seems like a bad idea

*optimistic i know

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Bob Socko posted:

I live on a hill, so I guess I’m lucky.

wherever we end up gonna try to live on a hill
all tree cover around my house on a hill dies and i slowly bake to death in the great 2028 heatwave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
With every new example of how disastrous and rapid the climate shift is I just want to thank Barack Obama for doing the most to fight climate change of any president in my lifetime.

He reflected a shitload of sunlight by turning Syrian hospitals and weddings into ash clouds.