Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

alkanphel posted:

My first game ended with 2 soldiers. One shot the other and then he died to radiation sickness or something. No one else was left alive. What a game!

https://youtu.be/XN97JmVTzVM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Wingspan is a perfectly fine game you can actually play with normal people instead of the other poo poo I’ve got in my game closet

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Jamie Stegameier is good at hyping his games and Wingspan seemed to cross over into the mainstream - articles in the NYT, "this game is based on science!" - so naturally the hardcore gaming crew turned on it. But it is a game you can play with normal people, and decently fills the niche of a pleasant diverting game that doesn't you be, well, a boardgamer. As to what may have replaced it in that space ... I'm not sure. I still see Wingspan regularly at bookstores, along with various versions of Azul, Splendour & Catan etc. It's a nice market if you can break into it

please knock Mom! posted:

Wingspan is a perfectly fine game you can actually play with normal people instead of the other poo poo I’ve got in my game closet

No, you see, if your friends won't play Chicago Express with you, it's because they don't love you

nonathlon fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 16, 2021

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'd like to also be optimistic and think that Wingspan being made by a woman didn't have anything to do with its backlash, but....well, sometimes that optimism flags in the face of certain forum posts on other sites.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hype to see Brian Boru at #1 on BGG. Saw the demo at AwShux and knew it was a winning combo.

Check it out if you haven't seen it. It's definitely at the top of my pull list (Once I get through my current backlog :v:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3WEzaCpifM&t=39s

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

nonathlon posted:

No, you see, if your friends won't play Chicago Express with you, it's because they don't love you

This but unironically.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

MicroMacro Crime City restock at Gamenerdz if anyone’s been waiting on that restock.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If you don't make new friends solely to have people who'd play Chex w/ you, you don't love Chex enough.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Chex is an easy sell to people that like TTR.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I have literally played CHEX with family drunkenly over the holidays. how impatient are your friends that it's some sort of out of reach ultranerd game

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Not a board game, but sharing here because it's adjacent and this is the thread I know the most folks in

I made this! Spent a lot of time last year playing one shot RPGs over discord and originally made this as a tool for the players that had not DM'd before, and the idea took off from there.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rollthedicegames/the-dungeon-master-deck

PurplPenisEata
Jul 21, 2004
I WANT TO BLOW DOUCHEBAG CHEFS

Bottom Liner posted:

Not a board game, but sharing here because it's adjacent and this is the thread I know the most folks in

I made this! Spent a lot of time last year playing one shot RPGs over discord and originally made this as a tool for the players that had not DM'd before, and the idea took off from there.

Saw you post this in the KS thread, and hopped right on!

I am grateful for the creativity you have put in, so I can just shuffle and go.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

I’m not at rpger but this looks very cool. Reminds me of the procedural generation in Five Leagues from the Borderlands in a good way. Good luck.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

gently caress yeah, Tunnels & Trolls! How is that, if you don't mind me asking? I've never played, but I love Flying Buffalo's other main game - Nuclear War. I've always been curious how it plays.
Also interested in your KS - that looks cool! Especially since I might start DMing in the near future.

EDIT: Hmm yeah, that deck could come in real handy. If you're able to judge, (so no big deal if it's not 100% accurate - just super rough) how many options/decks do you think would be most useful for a campaign set in a low-fantasy environment with only humans and occasional monsters? (Most likely set during a war, a la The Black Company. So I'm gonna mix in some large scale battles. But the deck would be handy for smaller expeditions I think)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 17, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

gently caress yeah, Tunnels & Trolls! How is that, if you don't mind me asking? I've never played, but I love Flying Buffalo's other main game - Nuclear War. I've always been curious how it plays.
Also interested in your KS - that looks cool! Especially since I might start DMing in the near future.

T&T is like old school D&D but with a more focused take on dungeon diving and a tongue in cheek, light hearted tone. It's a really neat little game and what I think a lot of people think of when they think back on old D&D.

quote:

EDIT: Hmm yeah, that deck could come in real handy. If you're able to judge, (so no big deal if it's not 100% accurate - just super rough) how many options/decks do you think would be most useful for a campaign set in a low-fantasy environment with only humans and occasional monsters? (Most likely set during a war, a la The Black Company. So I'm gonna mix in some large scale battles. But the deck would be handy for smaller expeditions I think)

In the base deck, only 2 cards would deal with non-humans (Dungeon Inhabitants and Race), and a handful of results here and there like the Dragon result on Regional Threats. I used this a lot in Ironsworn which is pretty low fantasy and it fit in really well. If I hit the funding goal to expand it to 100 cards, there would be a card for each enemy type like Undead, Demons, etc, but that would still only be ~4-5 cards that aren't human/animal related in the enemy list. Here's the base card list if you didn't see it yet.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

T&T is like old school D&D but with a more focused take on dungeon diving and a tongue in cheek, light hearted tone. It's a really neat little game and what I think a lot of people think of when they think back on old D&D.

Huh, interesting! So there wasn't really a lot of non-dungeon content, I'm assuming? I imagine there's also not really any support for larger-scale encounters.
Either way, I really need to pick T&T up and delve into it, I think! Seems like a lot of Flying Buffalo's stuff is almost constantly out of print. Thanks though - I'll definitely keep an eye out for it, since that does sound interesting!

Bottom Liner posted:

In the base deck, only 2 cards would deal with non-humans (Dungeon Inhabitants and Race), and a handful of results here and there like the Dragon result on Regional Threats. I used this a lot in Ironsworn which is pretty low fantasy and it fit in really well. If I hit the funding goal to expand it to 100 cards, there would be a card for each enemy type like Undead, Demons, etc, but that would still only be ~4-5 cards that aren't human/animal related in the enemy list. Here's the base card list if you didn't see it yet.

Ah, right! Sounds good - seeing as you have an international shipping option, I'm gonna back it. Sounds too handy to pass up!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Another thing about T&T is that there were a dozen solo gamebooks published with a cut down version of the rules. These can be played individually or as a campaign, which is really great. They're hard to find these days, but last I saw FB still had a few.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Another thing about T&T is that there were a dozen solo gamebooks published with a cut down version of the rules. These can be played individually or as a campaign, which is really great. They're hard to find these days, but last I saw FB still had a few.

As a lonely nerd who grew up in a small town I loved the poo poo out of these as a kid.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I missed Fluxx discussion but even though it’s a pretty objectively bad game, it’ll always hold a special place in my heart because I really like nomics and have to give some respect to something that tries to achieve that in the space of a couple decks of goofy cards.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Teetering on a late back for Marvel Dice Throne. Don't really care that it's Marvel, but I think I want to dip my toe in the Dice Throne pool and this seems like as good as place as any. S1 Rerolled and S2 are available through Roxley's page, and while they're not super easy to find, I could snag a 2 pack somewhere I imagine. Should I go whole hog for a season - and if so, are we expecting the Marvel characters to be interesting/unique enough that I should hold out?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is there a reason Eagle Games doesn't ship direct to Australia?

They ship to New Zealand. We're right next door! :psyduck:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

JoeRules posted:

Teetering on a late back for Marvel Dice Throne. Don't really care that it's Marvel, but I think I want to dip my toe in the Dice Throne pool and this seems like as good as place as any. S1 Rerolled and S2 are available through Roxley's page, and while they're not super easy to find, I could snag a 2 pack somewhere I imagine. Should I go whole hog for a season - and if so, are we expecting the Marvel characters to be interesting/unique enough that I should hold out?
You've got some time before needing to take the plunge. I'd check out a 2-pack to see if you enjoy it first. Or get one of the first two battle chests depending on how long it's expected to take to arrive.

I haven't tried any of the Marvel heroes - but they look really cool. And overall I'm impressed with the whole game line and I'd be surprised if they were terrible.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I got Chex on the table for the first time recently and it was an instant hit. I'm super happy to have a trains game that's weighs in between Paris Connection and 1846. I'm looking forward to playing it 70 or 80 more times because there are a ton of subtleties in it. If we were to make a chart plotting "Game Rules Complexity" on the x axis and "Interesting Play Decisions" on the Y, Go would probably be in the top left, but Chex would certainly be an outlier in that direction.

My go-to game that I take to play with non-game people is Chinatown - I always introduce it by saying "it has parameters but no rules" - you'll get random shops and stalls, you need to own a stall to place a shop, you need enough orthoganally adjacent stalls to complete a shop of given a size, you get more money for completed shops. You'll be able to trade with other players as we go, and I'll tell you when you're allowed to do things. That's it. Its biggest strength is that one experienced player can manage all of the game stuff for everyone without being so bogged down in help that it interferes with that player's (my) experience of the game. I have never had it not hit.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Rockman Reserve posted:

I missed Fluxx discussion but even though it’s a pretty objectively bad game, it’ll always hold a special place in my heart because I really like nomics and have to give some respect to something that tries to achieve that in the space of a couple decks of goofy cards.

I love the idea of nomics but haven't figured out how to make it a fun game.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

CommonShore posted:

I got Chex on the table for the first time recently and it was an instant hit. I'm super happy to have a trains game that's weighs in between Paris Connection and 1846. I'm looking forward to playing it 70 or 80 more times because there are a ton of subtleties in it. If we were to make a chart plotting "Game Rules Complexity" on the x axis and "Interesting Play Decisions" on the Y, Go would probably be in the top left, but Chex would certainly be an outlier in that direction.

My go-to game that I take to play with non-game people is Chinatown - I always introduce it by saying "it has parameters but no rules" - you'll get random shops and stalls, you need to own a stall to place a shop, you need enough orthoganally adjacent stalls to complete a shop of given a size, you get more money for completed shops. You'll be able to trade with other players as we go, and I'll tell you when you're allowed to do things. That's it. Its biggest strength is that one experienced player can manage all of the game stuff for everyone without being so bogged down in help that it interferes with that player's (my) experience of the game. I have never had it not hit.

That's a great description. Chinatown is a really good game, especially when played fast and loose. I agree with the SU&SD review where (if I'm recalling it correctly) the game will die if you get math nerds pricing out every deal to death. I just love any game that encourages tons of hustling and wheeling and dealing. Player interaction! Fun!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I thought Chinatown was a lesser version of the genre because it had perfect information, I may be misremembering.

Got a game of unfathomable in and we did pretty well as humans, ironically the two traitors hated each other. But it was bad luck one of them controlled the engine and the other controlled the magic ritual, so we were screwed once both revealed. Tough in five player.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Golden Bee posted:

I thought Chinatown was a lesser version of the genre because it had perfect information, I may be misremembering.

It's got blind draws at the start of every turn, before the haggling starts. So there's room for people's valuations to be coloured by how hopeful they feel. The final round has a problem where everything can be worked out, and there's no reason to sell anything for more or less than they're worth.
When you say the genre, I can't think of anything else in that space besides SidCon, and lol at the concept of introducing people to the world of games through SidCon.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

djfooboo posted:

MicroMacro Crime City restock at Gamenerdz if anyone’s been waiting on that restock.

I literally just bought my copy from my local shop.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Golden Bee posted:

Got a game of unfathomable in and we did pretty well as humans, ironically the two traitors hated each other. But it was bad luck one of them controlled the engine and the other controlled the magic ritual, so we were screwed once both revealed. Tough in five player.

I can't remember what the rule is for open information but we play with hidden money.

The other thing is that it's possible to screw with players who are trying to math it out. If I see someone trying to do the math on a trade I'll say something like "if you do this calculation I'll just withdraw the offer because if you finish the math and say yes it tells me that it's a bad deal for me. Take it or leave it in 3 2 1..."

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Any thoughts on City of the Great Machine? Kickstarter ends tomorrow and it looks drat cool. I know I should just wait for release, I've made the kickstarter mistake more than once, but the FOMO is powerfull.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
So that SUSD preview of Brian Boru looked awesome. Unfortunately, their enthusiasm did not persist once they played the game. They were quite down on it, essentially stating they have very little interest in even trying it again after their first play.

See most recent episode: https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/podcastle/

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Megasabin posted:

So that SUSD preview of Brian Boru looked awesome. Unfortunately, their enthusiasm did not persist once they played the game. They were quite down on it, essentially stating they have very little interest in even trying it again after their first play.

See most recent episode: https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/podcastle/

there’s a chance it’s hard enough to wrap your head around in the first play that the design space feels artificially limited before you crack it. though I’m not sure it’s the type of game you’d want to tell people opens up after 5 plays. I’m gonna wait for some more reviews and see.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's got blind draws at the start of every turn, before the haggling starts. So there's room for people's valuations to be coloured by how hopeful they feel. The final round has a problem where everything can be worked out, and there's no reason to sell anything for more or less than they're worth.
When you say the genre, I can't think of anything else in that space besides SidCon, and lol at the concept of introducing people to the world of games through SidCon.

Genoa, Quo Vadis, and can’t you trade in Lords of Vegas?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Bohnanza is also a great trading game.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

PopZeus posted:

there’s a chance it’s hard enough to wrap your head around in the first play that the design space feels artificially limited before you crack it. though I’m not sure it’s the type of game you’d want to tell people opens up after 5 plays. I’m gonna wait for some more reviews and see.

Quinn's comments seemed pretty insightful and informed. The gist was that there is inherently a lot of randomness in trick taking games, which works in isolation, but does not feel good when applied to planning & accomplishing eurogame style strategies. Watching your strategy fall apart because you simply don't have the cards of the right suite at the right moment left a sour taste in Quinn's mouth.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Any thoughts on City of the Great Machine? Kickstarter ends tomorrow and it looks drat cool. I know I should just wait for release, I've made the kickstarter mistake more than once, but the FOMO is powerfull.

It's steam punk and therefore infinitely cursed.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I think it looked fine. It does some neat stuff with 3v3 where one person controls 3 characters as The City. I thought the arrangement modularity was fun and could lead to some interesting scenarios.

I didn't really investigate it further, so I can't comment on the in-depth gameplay, but as a huge 1vsMany + Hidden Movement nerd it didn't really hold my attention as much as Beast did.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

For US peoples, I am auctioning off a large portion of my collection on BGG. All bids start at $9, so may get some sweet deals.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/291776/holiday-9-auction-el-grande-big-box-forbidden-star

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Why would you sell Zendo GOTY Every Year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Shadow225 posted:

For US peoples, I am auctioning off a large portion of my collection on BGG. All bids start at $9, so may get some sweet deals.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/291776/holiday-9-auction-el-grande-big-box-forbidden-star

So, how does the "Paypal and through the BGG Marketplace" actually work? I see some modern vendors say Paypal but then they also accept normal rear end credit cards without an account. I ask because I don't really use Paypal basically ever. The last time I tried to use it, I literally could not give the person my money for some frigging reason and I had to mail them a personal check like a caveman.