Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Madmarker posted:

Doom-violence is fun and solving problems with violence can be justified.

Sure, in the case of literal demons from hell trying to eat everyone's faces. I'm not really sure Doom Guy is having fun, so much as he is fighting for his life and beating back the forces of Actual Hell and avenging the death of his pet bunny Daisy.

Of course the presence of Hell and demons implies that at least parts of Christianity must be real, so maybe that is the political message, if any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Madmarker posted:

Mario Kart-honestly no idea, the politics of Mario Kart specifically are invisible to me other than a simple "racing is fun and you should race" message. Also probably something about meritocracy or something, since only 1 person can be first place and there isn't team play in the primary game system.

Everyone behind you will harm you to keep you from getting ahead, so you better harm them first!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Taerkar posted:

Everyone behind you will harm you to keep you from getting ahead, so you better harm them first!

No no no.

Mario Kart is inherently competitive anti-capitalism. It teaches you that money is worthless, and that the people in last should get the best stuff, which should then be used to utterly gently caress up the most well off person and make them just like the rest of us.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

No no no.

Mario Kart is inherently competitive anti-capitalism. It teaches you that money is worthless, and that the people in last should get the best stuff, which should then be used to utterly gently caress up the most well off person and make them just like the rest of us.

Picking up coins increases your top speed, which, you know, still works in this example.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Milo certainly has fallen on hard times.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

KozmoNaut posted:

Sure, in the case of literal demons from hell trying to eat everyone's faces. I'm not really sure Doom Guy is having fun, so much as he is fighting for his life and beating back the forces of Actual Hell and avenging the death of his pet bunny Daisy.

Of course the presence of Hell and demons implies that at least parts of Christianity must be real, so maybe that is the political message, if any.

Isn't Doom also anti-corporate in the sense that the gates to hell were opened by a greedy megacorp that should have totally known better?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PeterWeller posted:

Isn't Doom also anti-corporate in the sense that the gates to hell were opened by a greedy megacorp that should have totally known better?

I mean, that makes the most sense. UAC is heavily maligned throughout the game as both being keenly aware of the risks and refusing to address it, to the point that they portray Doctor Hayden as both oblivious to what is happening and if not downright destructive in ignoring the risks especially his handling of both the source of the energy and his employees like Olivia Pierce and the Doom Slayer's purpose.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hayden is very much a sunk-cost kind of guy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

Hayden is very much a sunk-cost kind of guy.

"Why let all these sacrificed employees blood go to waste."

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

PeterWeller posted:

not in the original releases, it's a theme that shows up in Doom 2016 and Eternal.

3 clearly shows something going wrong but also it's more the head scientist losing his poo poo in a personal fashion that's more the direct cause

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

UAC exists in the original games.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My dad told me Crown Vics are terrible on snow.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

3 clearly shows something going wrong but also it's more the head scientist losing his poo poo in a personal fashion that's more the direct cause

Doctor Betruger has betrayed us, how could we have seen this coming? :saddowns:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Can I please just relax and play Wolfenstein without you dorks trying to find some political message hidden deep within the subconscious of a loving video game

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Casimir Radon posted:

My dad told me Crown Vics are terrible on snow.

At the risk of getting woosh'd somehow, just get some winter tires and you'll be fine.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Neo_Crimson posted:

At the risk of getting woosh'd somehow, just get some winter tires and you'll be fine.
We get enough snow that it’s just way easier to have something with front or all wheel drive.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

VitalSigns posted:

Can I please just relax and play Wolfenstein without you dorks trying to find some political message hidden deep within the subconscious of a loving video game

Why are people pushing their politics on my favorite novel Animal Farm.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

A game about Nazis and fighting an oppressive fascist government: No political messages here.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

J.A.B.C. posted:

The entire scene just has two words:

Wrex.

Shepherd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj6iDczCDOI

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Why are people pushing their politics on my favorite novel Animal Farm.

I like the pigs in that one they're funny, they just can't agree!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

CommieGIR posted:

A game about Nazis and fighting an oppressive fascist government: No political messages here.

:thejoke:

It's also based on the fact that a few years back some alt right types were whining about FPS games being too political because the Nazis were the bad guys.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Twelve by Pies posted:

:thejoke:

It's also based on the fact that a few years back some alt right types were whining about FPS games being too political because the Nazis were the bad guys.

Yeah I knew it was ironic, I was trying to continue :thejoke:

And yeah, Bethesda gave the right response by flipping them the bird and doubling down on killing Nazis.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Casimir Radon posted:

We get enough snow that it’s just way easier to have something with front or all wheel drive.

Proper tires help out way more than drivetrain. If you can afford it, always go for good winter tires.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Madmarker posted:

Hey so just off the top of my head with the political thing with regards to the games you listed:

Mario Bros-Woman are objects that need saving as well as a reward to a man for doing something difficult. (This gets lampshaded in Mario Odyssey but for the large majority of Mario games this point remains)

Tetris-the gameplay itself has nothing I can see as a political message, but the choice, especially at the time of its creation/dissemination, to display large aspects of Russian culture was very political at the time. Also Tetris is based on a Russian folk game if I remember correctly, so the gameplay itself can be seen as a representative of a "Russia-is-good" mindset

NBA2K-It is literally corporate propaganda. It is selling you on the product of NBA basketball and reinforcing it as something worth engaging with.

Sonic-pro-environmental propaganda. The factories and robots are shown as explicitly evil while nature is shown as an explicit good.

Gran Turismo-It is literally corporate propaganda. It is selling you on the desirability of luxury cars and acts as an advertisement for them, thereby helping to reinforce their place as status symbols.

Mario Kart-honestly no idea, the politics of Mario Kart specifically are invisible to me other than a simple "racing is fun and you should race" message. Also probably something about meritocracy or something, since only 1 person can be first place and there isn't team play in the primary game system.

Wii Sports-same as Mario Kart, other than a simple "Sports are fun and you should play them"

Doom-violence is fun and solving problems with violence can be justified. also if we are referring to the more recent Doom releases there is also a strong anti-corporate message.

MLB: The show: same as NBA2k, it is corporate propaganda selling you on the the product of entertainment via MLB baseball and reinforcing the cultural cache of that league.

Anyway, not trying to browbeat you personally, you just provided a list and some of them it was very easy to spot a political message.

That's fine/all good.

A lot/most people posting here disagree with me and I've given it some consideration and look at it a little differently. I suppose it says more about me than the games that, for the most part, I never really feel that way though. Maybe it's as simple that on the rare occasions that I actually have time to fire up a console and waste an afternoon, I'm doing it to get away from that sort of mindset instead of reading or listening to news.

Or posting and reading here on several threads that I follow for that matter. Some of you have raised good points that I never really thought about but gently caress all of you if you ruin Elden Ring for me. :)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Jesus the hatred and contempt the right has for working class people is insane. Happened to hear Fox News when I went downstairs, Geraldo was telling a story about how he has a friend who owns a restaurant. He asked his friend "How are things?" and his friend replied "Not good, times are tough, I'm having to pay my dishwasher 16 dollars an hour."

Everyone else immediately started talking about how absurd it was that a dishwasher should be paid such a high wage, with one of them saying "Well this is what happens when Democrats are in charge, the federal government is paying people to stay at home and not work, which means that business owners are forced to pay their dishwashers 16-18 dollars an hour and that's why the economy is such a mess right now!"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They’ve been trying to pivot to at least outwardly claiming to be the party of the working class, but the reality is they still hate poor people.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Had a guy come into my store wearing a Louder With Crowder hoodie :psyduck:

Idk, it's just weird seeing something that I've only ever seen in the context of "mocking on Twitter" actually come out in the real world

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Twelve by Pies posted:

Jesus the hatred and contempt the right has for working class people is insane. Happened to hear Fox News when I went downstairs, Geraldo was telling a story about how he has a friend who owns a restaurant. He asked his friend "How are things?" and his friend replied "Not good, times are tough, I'm having to pay my dishwasher 16 dollars an hour."

Everyone else immediately started talking about how absurd it was that a dishwasher should be paid such a high wage, with one of them saying "Well this is what happens when Democrats are in charge, the federal government is paying people to stay at home and not work, which means that business owners are forced to pay their dishwashers 16-18 dollars an hour and that's why the economy is such a mess right now!"

Dishwasher is by far the worst job to have to do in a restaurant and in a sane world would be getting paid the most in the entire restaurant.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

My first job. Overnight shift at a Denny's outside Fort Hood. Which meant a lot of drunk GIs. Combine too many Pina coladas and a scarfed down tuna melt, and guess who had to go clean out the urinal? Wasn't the line cooks or the waitresses.

Maybe $2.90 an hour, which would be about $11 today.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Had a guy come into my store wearing a Louder With Crowder hoodie :psyduck:

Idk, it's just weird seeing something that I've only ever seen in the context of "mocking on Twitter" actually come out in the real world

I work with a guy who drinks coffee out of a Louder With Crowder mug. Says it's his favorite. We don't discuss politics.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

VitalSigns posted:

No, and now we're going to talk about the legal implications of B.J. Blazkowicz's actions.

Unlike most WW2 games, B.J. wasn't acting as a uniformed combatant, but instead as a spy.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

No, and now we're going to talk about the legal implications of B.J. Blazkowicz's actions.

Unlike most WW2 games, B.J. wasn't acting as a uniformed combatant, but instead as a spy.

Definitely in The Old Blood and the tutorial level of New Order, but after that he's an Insurgent

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DarklyDreaming posted:

Definitely in The Old Blood and the tutorial level of New Order, but after that he's an Insurgent

Can't believe they make you play as a bad guy.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

anecdotal proof that the alt-right pipeline is indeed a thing: my friend

turns out the dingus transformed from your typical left leaning apolitical lib who watched nothing more politically complex than the daily show, to full on anti-woke MAGA dipshit that loves sargon and ben shapiro. it would be bad enough if it was just simply a matter of his politics changing, but these anti-SJW channels legitimately broke his brain. we almost never discussed politics before, but i couldn't talk about any of the typical nerd poo poo we talked about without him going on an unhinged rant bout feminists taking over star wars and anime and such.

i've legit severed reactionaries from my life in the past, and i'm willing to do the same to him, but i'd be lying if i didn't think it was gonna suck :smith:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/nathanallebach/status/1460787296144404480?s=20

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

None of the Sandy Hook stuff was apparently enough to make Rogan consider that maybe he shouldn’t associate with this person? Of course not.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Casimir Radon posted:

None of the Sandy Hook stuff was apparently enough to make Rogan consider that maybe he shouldn’t associate with this person? Of course not.

Rogan is just as bad as the rest of that crew

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Piell posted:

Rogan is just as bad as the rest of that crew
I know. But idiots like to act like he’s a smart neutral party who’s just seeking the truth.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Casimir Radon posted:

Sandy Hook proved that nothing in this country could break its addiction to guns. Not a loving thing. A literal pile of dead children and elementary teachers. Nothing changed.

I'm not sure anything crackpinged me harder than Sandy Hook. Just the most gut-wrenching proof that our society is rotten from the core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

Sandy Hook proved that nothing in this country could break its addiction to guns. Not a loving thing. A literal pile of dead children and elementary teachers. Nothing changed.

I'm not sure anything crackpinged me harder than Sandy Hook. Just the most gut-wrenching proof that our society is rotten from the core.
Lanza’s dumbass mom attempting to use guns to bond with her highly disturbed son, and letting him have access to them is about as dumb and irresponsible as it gets. She might as well have shot those kids herself. I like guns just fine, but I hate gun nuts.