Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In the future, PM me if you want a thread title change rather than using the report system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I'm a bonehead. I was eyeing the Fuse germanium preamp and BBD delay plugins this morning in the sale for thirty something bucks (66% off, more than I have seen Fuse discount stuff before), then I saw a fella selling a promotional license for them as part of a Focusrite promotion and the price after currency conversion worked out to be like $20, cool! Snapped that up, then it turns out that I also have a qualifying product because Focusrite and Novation are closely related companies and it is also a Novation promotional during this period. Ooooops.

On the bright side, y'all, if you DO use Focusrite or Novation products and have registered products with them, check your software stuff on their site to see if you have some nice stuff. I also found some XLN Keys and Softube software in there on mine.

Edit: Also, I made a thing with a bunch of stuff from the sales lately to get a good handle on some new tools & have fun :) Check it out if you'd like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUuIaUP7sP4

And a soundcloud link if the Youtube compression bugs anyone.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 4, 2021

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

yeahAgreed, the Time&Tone bundle is v nice

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(

Pollyanna posted:

What is a good trumpet VST, anyway? DSK Overture’s trumpets are pretty crap, IMO, and I’ve been looking for a good brass instrument for something I’m working on.

Bit late to the party, but SINE factory has a trumpet in their free thingy. I dunno if it's any good, but it seems OK to me.

Here's something I did with it although I detuned everything a bunch (so it sounds awful):

https://open.spotify.com/track/6xQ4gP283FnN0SvOVqTH2H?si=ba8ebea0007540fd

It has expression control as well.

Kiwillian fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 1, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Don't know if anybody cares to hear this ITT but I've been trying out two new MIDI controllers over the last few days, the Akai MPK Mini and the Zeppelin Labs Altura. Right now I'm running the Altura, a Theremin based MIDI controller (with a very nice arpeggiator as well!) into my computer and into an old freeware favorite, Superwave, just because I hadn't tried the Altura with the computer until now. It is a perfect tool for creating atmospheric sounds. And though there's the labor involved, the soldering and everything, it was still ~ $69. I want to be clear, I have no intention on playing a Theremin as a melodic instrument. That looks too much like work.

And I'm going crazy for arpeggiators RN, the two devices I named above both have them, both have very nice ones. In fact, the MPK Mini has a pretty great one, really easy to use and to control. I am very pleased with both of these. Last night I played on the MPK with another old freeware VST fav, Oatmeal. And Drumatic, Hard Boiled Wonderland, and Microtonic. All to good effect. I'm just a little bit looking forward to playing a device with an arpeggiator with another one, and seeing what might come forth from that. But anyway.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 7, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

a fun thing to do with arpeggiators is set it to random and trigger percussion samples with drum rack type instruments

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

watho posted:

a fun thing to do with arpeggiators is set it to random and trigger percussion samples with drum rack type instruments

Would be nice to program it. Sample the random, play it three times, then reroll the fourth. Then do that again, but do a second reroll for the second fourth play. Instant AAABAAAC!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

Would be nice to program it. Sample the random, play it three times, then reroll the fourth. Then do that again, but do a second reroll for the second fourth play. Instant AAABAAAC!

Bam!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

watho posted:

Much fun to be had with arps, that's for sure. I remember that was one of my favorite things about Energy XT, back before it went sideways. I still have it as a VST, haven't used it for years.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the best way to make songs is by saying poo poo with your structure

ACAB (fan favorite!)

ABACADABBA

ABADABBA (add a "doot" at the end to make it extra spicy)

ABACABB

ABADDAD

"hey wtf dude how can you use a D if there's no C" you say

"shut up youre making my dumb joke worse" i respond

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I'm partial to this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m9wwP4LNOQ

petit choux fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 8, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i’m partial to AAAAAAAAAAA

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(

watho posted:

i’m partial to AAAAAAAAAAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHLRw0R9H-U&t=98s

:downs:

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Arturia sale is live. Think it’s finally the year I get the collection, I’ve been using the hell of AnalogLabs

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

UncleBlazer posted:

Arturia sale is live. Think it’s finally the year I get the collection, I’ve been using the hell of AnalogLabs

Somehow I had a 50$ coupon and got pigments for 49$ :catstare:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And so at last, it is upon us.

Lore Crimes
Jul 22, 2007

Speaking of their sale, will the newish sq80 V not be part of v collection? It doesn’t seem to be now, but it seems kind of odd for it to be held off indefinitely.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yay! Finally upgrading to V Collection 8.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

As foretold, Black Friday is upon us.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Plugin Boutique has Pulsar stuff on sale with a few options for a free add-on. Now I got this freaking Echorec plugin and it sounds awesome, and has a super thoughtful UI with great tooltips also. I have never tried Softube's plugin but I feel that this delay is very distinct in its sound, well worth checking out. I am really liking it as a saturator/tone conditioner in its "Off" delay mode too, that's a cool addition.

I've heard good things about the Audiority one too and it's on sale at a similar price atm, seems a little grittier maybe. I think it didn't used to do the preamp thing but they updated it to be able to, among other stuff. :shrug:

Edit: Ok, checked out The Orb that I picked up as a freebie for getting the delay - holy crap this is a lot cooler than I expected. Powerful filtering, some very cool results possible with this for sure. I put it on a bass track and immediately loved it.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 17, 2021

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I picked up Omnisphere 2.8 from Musician's Friend with their 15% off coupon. I don't think this thing ever really goes on sale.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Lore Crimes posted:

Speaking of their sale, will the newish sq80 V not be part of v collection? It doesn’t seem to be now, but it seems kind of odd for it to be held off indefinitely.

It probably will be eventually, they usually don't update the collection until they have at least a couple of new instruments and a handful of updates to existing instruments. SQ80 was released after V8, and it's the only one since, I believe.

They're pretty quiet about future releases so it's hard to say if/when there will be more, and whether there will be a V Collection 9 on the immediate horizon. I've had my fingers crossed for a Wasp, CAT, or Polivoks for a while but I think those are all long shots.

Lore Crimes
Jul 22, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

It probably will be eventually, they usually don't update the collection until they have at least a couple of new instruments and a handful of updates to existing instruments. SQ80 was released after V8, and it's the only one since, I believe.

Gotcha, but I assume that's a paid update? Kind of a disincentive for me to go for this particular black friday as I'd still want to spring for this synth eventually, but still tempting.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Lore Crimes posted:

Gotcha, but I assume that's a paid update? Kind of a disincentive for me to go for this particular black friday as I'd still want to spring for this synth eventually, but still tempting.

It will be, yeah. Basically each version of V Collection is just a discrete product. If you own one, you usually get a better upgrade price on a new version than it would cost to just buy it outright, though. I had V7 and with the BF deal it was $100 to upgrade to V8, which is still a hell of a lot cheaper than if I bought the two or three new instruments on their own. I've had a few versions of V Collection over the years and I'm pretty sure I've never paid more than $100 to get to the newest version, as long as I waited for a sale. It's likely cheaper to get V Collection than buy even two of the individual plugins in the collection. But yeah, if you want SQ80 and don't care about anything that's currently in V8 you're probably best off just waiting.

That said, the current V Collection is fantastic, they've upgraded the whole collection to have significantly better preset browsing, there's a lot better tips and tutorials, plus the windows resize very easily (which is somehow still an issue with plugins in 2021). That's aside the fact that some of the emulations are the best out there, or the only ones, in the case of stuff like the Easel.

tl;dr unless you need it immediately, absolutely don't pay $200 for the SQ80 plugin, it'll almost certainly be in V Collection in the future, which is way, way more bang for your buck if you get it on sale.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

Plugin Boutique has Pulsar stuff on sale with a few options for a free add-on. Now I got this freaking Echorec plugin and it sounds awesome, and has a super thoughtful UI with great tooltips also. I have never tried Softube's plugin but I feel that this delay is very distinct in its sound, well worth checking out. I am really liking it as a saturator/tone conditioner in its "Off" delay mode too, that's a cool addition.

I've heard good things about the Audiority one too and it's on sale at a similar price atm, seems a little grittier maybe. I think it didn't used to do the preamp thing but they updated it to be able to, among other stuff. :shrug:

Edit: Ok, checked out The Orb that I picked up as a freebie for getting the delay - holy crap this is a lot cooler than I expected. Powerful filtering, some very cool results possible with this for sure. I put it on a bass track and immediately loved it.

The Audiority Echoes T7E is my go to vocal delay. It feels like a halfway point between delay and reverb, giving what I run through it a sort of rhythmic smear. It's more subtle than most delays, but it's great gor thickening parts that need a little more power.

Lore Crimes
Jul 22, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

.tl;dr unless you need it immediately, absolutely don't pay $200 for the SQ80 plugin, it'll almost certainly be in V Collection in the future, which is way, way more bang for your buck if you get it on sale.

Yeah absolutely, the only decision is whether to grab the collection now or at a later sale when it’s gotten even bigger. Thanks for the rundown.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Can anyone w/ V Collection 8 speak to how the new version of Jupiter-8 (V4) compares to the V3 version that's in V Collection 7 in terms of sound quality? People who've used both, was it a noticeable improvement. It's been hard to find comparison videos because I believe the engine was changed enough that the V3 presets aren't compatible with V4 presets, so people doing demos on youtube can't just swap back and forth between identical presets to demonstrate the difference. Leaning towards sticking with 7 for a while longer, as there's still so much I haven't really dug into, but a Jup-8 that fucks noticeably harder might sway me.

e: also looks like I could update Jup-8 only for only $29...though at that point why not just drop the extra $70 for a few more toys :homebrew:

Splinter fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 18, 2021

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I love pigments so much. Tons of customization that's really easy to use, and you can end up with pretty much any sound you can imagine. Despite having the collection I still mostly stick to pigments. ARP 2600 is a ton of fun to mess with as well. At some point I need to play with others as well.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

OutOfPrint posted:

The Audiority Echoes T7E is my go to vocal delay. It feels like a halfway point between delay and reverb, giving what I run through it a sort of rhythmic smear. It's more subtle than most delays, but it's great gor thickening parts that need a little more power.

I've been demoing it today and I think it has a really nice smeared character to its repeats - I didn't end up getting it today as I have the Pulsar Echorec and it does a good job with its repeats too on the project I am working on now where I wanted this kind of thing, fairly influenced by the "Drive" control on it. It is a little bit cleaner and for what I am doing I prefer that, and I like it used as a saturator somewhat better also, but I think the Audiority one has more "magic" in how the repeats decay (lending it that echo/verb quality), after trying it out. It's really cool, I may buy it in the end for that cool trail to use some other time.

These guys are pretty dang good at this DSP gig - I demo'd their Tube Modulator also and ended up getting it, love the visualization on it and it sounds nice!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Nov 19, 2021

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Heads up RC-20 is half off on plugin boutique for any Lo-fi people.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Considering it (if you use the code GROUP on JRR shop you get a little more off too) but wondering if SketchCassette has too much overlap to be worth it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Matt Zerella posted:

Ohhhh my god, I think I might have to take the plunge.

UncleBlazer posted:

Considering it (if you use the code GROUP on JRR shop you get a little more off too) but wondering if SketchCassette has too much overlap to be worth it

What's JRR shop?

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ohhhh my god, I think I might have to take the plunge.

What's JRR shop?

Another plug-in shop, like plug-in boutique etc.

They’re well worth keeping an eye on.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Matt Zerella posted:

Hell yeah, grabbed from JRR. Have VectoMelt as well, but each are good at some things that the other isn't good at.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I bought hardware from jrr now and then over the years. They're big.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

petit choux posted:

I bought hardware from jrr now and then over the years. They're big.

:same: i've bought hardware and software from them for maybe the last decade and have never had an issue with anything.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Neural DSP is having sale time guys. I have Gojira and Fortin NTS, but I was thinking of buying another one for variety and leads/cleans. I'm thinking probably Plini or Henson? I'm also wondering if I should consider Darkglass for when I record bass. I might could swing both even. I've watched a few videos and can try them but I appreciate some opinions because I don't really have much experience actually recording and mixing and stuff yet so I still wouldn't probably get the full picture.

I also have been using STL Amphub which is pretty good too. Feel free to suggest stuff that isn't Neural to check out, too.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 19, 2021

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Neural DSP is having sale time guys. I have Gojira and Fortin NTS, but I was thinking of buying another one for variety and leads/cleans. I'm thinking probably Plini or Henson? I'm also wondering if I should consider Darkglass for when I record bass. I might could swing both even. I've watched a few videos and can try them but I appreciate some opinions because I don't really have much experience actually recording and mixing and stuff yet so I still wouldn't probably get the full picture.

I also have been using STL Amphub which is pretty good too. Feel free to suggest stuff that isn't Neural to check out, too.

Woo, I've been waiting for this! I'm grabbing Cory Wong for sure.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
hey tell me what plug in to buy, dingleberry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The Plini one is really nice for clean tones, as is Nolly.
Instead of the Darkglass I'd definitely recommend looking at Parallax. It's less skeumorphic than the rest of the Neural lineup but it's incredible for heavy (and otherwise) bass tones