Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Acerbatus posted:

the funny thing is I hear that too despite him supposedly having a deep and cool voice going off of SoD.

It really works, right? He's supposed to be an evil character, but he's also the most self-aware and the most outright funny character in the cast, and that sort of loud obnoxious voice really fits that sort of evil-and-enjoying-it personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
:siren: 1248 :siren:
Can we shift the camera to the other half of the party? I'm interested to see how Elan and Sunny interact.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I keep forgetting that V can't cast Teleport

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
V being min maxed for 2nd edition is a pretty funny meta joke.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
V isn't kidding. A well placed pause works wonders to keep people paying attention.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

blizzardvizard posted:

I keep forgetting that V can't cast Teleport

Is dimdoor also conjuration?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ikanreed posted:

Yep.

Making V have conjuration as their barred school was a pretty clever storytelling decision. A lot of the story could be obviated by the Order just teleporting around everywhere.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

It's also great characterization. V has gotten better, but they believe only in their own raw arcane might. Conjuration is a school for getting help from others.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Tbf V did pack a scroll to make up for their shortcomings, that's growth!

Conjuration is also a really powerful school in 3.5e and would give the Order a really loaded hand in terms of their combat ability. While an Evocation mage relative to the other schools is underpowered (Relatively!!! Evocation has some really powerful stuff!).

A specialized conjuror using the Complete Arcana(?) has access to perhaps the best ability; sacrifice a third school of magic and get access to 10' teleports as a free action up to your int modifier per day.

The Order having the upper hand has happened only like twice this entire comic so I'm enjoying this.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Also of note is that the different stone floor looks identical to the stone bricks in Serini's quarters.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

V and Haley look pretty roughed up. Maybe they should wait for their cleric?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I assume the floor monster that Belkar wounded was a Trapper ( https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/oozes/trapper/ )

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

Wittgen posted:

V being min maxed for 2nd edition is a pretty funny meta joke.

Um, ACKSTUALLY...

In D&D 3.0, Telportation was considered a Transmutation spell. 3.5 changed it to Conjuration.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0340.html

It's obviously a way to restrain V from just making GBS threads on every threat(which he can still absolutely do because D&D Wizards are busted), but it does add a subtle bit of further hubris that V didn't consider everything when going for raw power.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

NameHurtBrain posted:

Um, ACKSTUALLY...

In D&D 3.0, Telportation was considered a Transmutation spell. 3.5 changed it to Conjuration.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0340.html

It's obviously a way to restrain V from just making GBS threads on every threat(which he can still absolutely do because D&D Wizards are busted), but it does add a subtle bit of further hubris that V didn't consider everything when going for raw power.

I love that the seemingly throwaway 3.0 -> 3.5 conversion strip from early on has had real consequences in the story even this far on.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Yeah, I know the 3.5 conversion took away teleportation. But even in 3.0, evocation and direct damage was not the most powerful way to approach wizardry. 3rd edition has a lot more HP for everyone, so save or dies became the power gamer move.

I like that the elf of the party has a build that's out of date, and I like that V is obsessed with power, but in a Timmy way more than a Spike way.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Raenir Salazar posted:

Tbf V did pack a scroll to make up for their shortcomings, that's growth!

Conjuration is also a really powerful school in 3.5e and would give the Order a really loaded hand in terms of their combat ability. While an Evocation mage relative to the other schools is underpowered (Relatively!!! Evocation has some really powerful stuff!).

A specialized conjuror using the Complete Arcana(?) has access to perhaps the best ability; sacrifice a third school of magic and get access to 10' teleports as a free action up to your int modifier per day.

The Order having the upper hand has happened only like twice this entire comic so I'm enjoying this.

V has also been inconvenienced in the past by not having a Passwall available when he really needed it. So that's even more clearly growth - keeping some scrolls around for utility spells like that so he has the option even if he didn't prepare the spell that day.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

FMguru posted:

I assume the floor monster that Belkar wounded was a Trapper ( https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/oozes/trapper/ )

I wonder if their treatment of the floor monster will make a difference to how Serini behaves.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Parahexavoctal posted:

I wonder if their treatment of the floor monster will make a difference to how Serini behaves.

Look, if you’re going to use your pets as traps, don’t get too upset when someone disarms one

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Vizuyos posted:

V has also been inconvenienced in the past by not having a Passwall available when he really needed it. So that's even more clearly growth - keeping some scrolls around for utility spells like that so he has the option even if he didn't prepare the spell that day.

V has prepared scrolls to handle expected edge cases before. And said "It's in a wizards nature to be prepared".

I don't really think it's character growth, but it is a plausible solution to an immediate problem. Which always feels triumphant.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Also of note is that the different stone floor looks identical to the stone bricks in Serini's quarters.

Not only that, she even left her quarters to go confront the Order the same way - with the dimension door wand.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

W.T. Fits posted:

Not only that, she even left her quarters to go confront the Order the same way - with the dimension door wand.

Man, it's such a bummer the "POP!" is inconsistent between the two. I would've really appreciated that attention to detail!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

XkyRauh posted:

Man, it's such a bummer the "POP!" is inconsistent between the two. I would've really appreciated that attention to detail!

ACKSHUALLY it is explained by O'Chul and Lien not being able to see her (sound) and Belkar, Haley and V being able to see her (vision) and the panels being drawn nanoseconds apart relative to the casting of the wand and furthermore

:goonsay:

i wanted to choke myself for writing that post

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
So half the party, particularly the half that used to be distrustful and selfsh and grew into team players in recent arcs, are about to walk into a big ol' cloud of amnesia potion? That seems like a deliberate setup.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

So half the party, particularly the half that used to be distrustful and selfsh and grew into team players in recent arcs, are about to walk into a big ol' cloud of amnesia potion? That seems like a deliberate setup.

I'm half suspecting this is a great time for the IFCC to take their second grab at V's soul.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm half suspecting this is a great time for the IFCC to take their second grab at V's soul.

They want the gates to all be destroyed, right? That's why they took V the first time. Taking them now would just help protect the last gate, since it would aid Serini and that's her explicit goal.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

They want the gates to all be destroyed, right? That's why they took V the first time. Taking them now would just help protect the last gate, since it would aid Serini and that's her explicit goal.

The IFF are not gods. If the Snarl breaks loose, they will be devoured like everyone else. (Or else folded into the next universe if the gods pull the plug in time).

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Gynovore posted:

The IFF are not gods. If the Snarl breaks loose, they will be devoured like everyone else. (Or else folded into the next universe if the gods pull the plug in time).

Thor said outsiders get memory wiped on resets.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Tiamat was brought up as the one Western god who had plans based on the Dark One having purple whatsit, and also as a boss of the IFF.

They have a plan with the gates that's not just Snarling everyone, but who knows what it is?

It's turning Belkar into a god somehow.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's turning Belkar into a god somehow.

The new Eastern pantheon:
Belkar - god of war, cooking, and cats
Banjo - god of banjos
Giggles - god of slapstick violence

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Gynovore posted:

Doesn't mean they can't somehow benefit from those events. Just look at Hel's scheme. There's plenty of room for evil folks to think they can gain some benefit from the destruction of the world and possibly more.

We don't know exactly what the IFCC's angle is, of course. But they've made it fairly clear that the destruction of the world is among their objectives, either by the gods or by the Snarl. And when we last saw them, they were talking about preparing a mystery artifact and a sacrifice to use it, so who knows what this mysterious MacGuffin could be?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Vizuyos posted:

We don't know exactly what the IFCC's angle is, of course. But they've made it fairly clear that the destruction of the world is among their objectives,

??

No? I'm pretty sure all they've said they want is "destructive, unnecessary conflict"

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
After the events at the Godsmoot failed to result in the end of the world (for now) one of them said, "I suppose it was too much to hope the gods would do our work for us."

Here: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1183.html

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ikanreed posted:

Teleportation is a specific subschool of Conjuration. I'm sure there's some weird teleport in a splat book that is actually, I dunno, Necromancy and you explode out of a corpse within 30' but otherwise it's all Conjuration.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I was just reading the Soul Splice arc again, and normally I wouldn't put too much thought into the specific meanings of the red pill/blue pill bit, but they specifically call it out, and I think that's for more than just the 'Woah.' joke. Accepting the deal uses the blue 'pill', which in the Matrix is the one used for staying in the illusion. It would've been by touching the red orb, and accepting their helplessness and that they can't solve every problem themselves, that would have freed V from the system.

Every time I reread this comic, I find something else I missed before.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I still think it's amazing the strip ended up where it is dealing with thousands of years of racial inequality when it started with stupid jokes about the rules of D&D and "lol ogre was wearing girdle of masculinity/femininity"

Just absolutely unpredictable

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

TheAceOfLungs posted:

The new Eastern pantheon:
Belkar - god of war, cooking, and cats
Banjo - god of banjos
Giggles - god of slapstick violence

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I love that Roy got included, makes it even better. :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Tiny nitpick, he should be a Legendary Artifact Creature.

Edit: At which point I'm sure you could find some kind of impractical use for an indestructible non-creature artifact with lifelink for 1W. The obvious answer is Ensoul Artifact, for a two card, four-mana 5/5 with some nice abilities, but that's just not very satisfying and kind of ruins the joke. (I also thought about Mechanized Production, but Banjo is a legend and can't be copied. Also the card type is Legendary.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Nov 18, 2021

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

girl dick energy posted:

Tiny nitpick, he should be a Legendary Artifact Creature.

Edit: At which point I'm sure you could find some kind of impractical use for an indestructible non-creature artifact with lifelink for 1W. The obvious answer is Ensoul Artifact, for a two card, four-mana 5/5 with some nice abilities, but that's just not very satisfying and kind of ruins the joke. (I also thought about Mechanized Production, but Banjo is a legend and can't be copied. Also the card type is Legendary.)

Actually, banjo can't be an artifact. He doesn't have the type. RAW he's the following things: legendary, God, white, Permanent, and cmc 2. Maybe he counts as a creature when he's not in play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Pretty sure the mtg rules implode if you have a permanent on the battlefield that doesn't have a permanent type (artifact, creature, enchantment, planeswalker, land). Banjo is templated similar to the Theros gods, who were enchantment creatures, so they could still exist as enchantments while they weren't creatures. But Banjo doesn't have that extra type as a fallback (and GDE was suggesting having artifact instead of enchantment).

Fortunately, it's silver-bordered, so the rules imploding is more of a feature than a bug.