Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
BTC down almost 10% since this past Monday night. Did the recent enormous NFT demand cause the miners to fork the satoshi blockchain ETH burn on the exchanges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
An NFT of the platonic concept of making GBS threads and farting.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

nnnotime posted:

BTC down almost 10% since this past Monday night. Did the recent enormous NFT demand cause the miners to fork the satoshi blockchain ETH burn on the exchanges?

10% swings are like a weekly thing for buttcoins, it doesn't need to be caused by anything in particular

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Prurient Squid posted:

An NFT of the platonic concept of making GBS threads and farting.

Each of my shids is a seperate NFT. They are all unique.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:catstare:

https://twitter.com/icebergy_/status/1459578746919428096

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://youtu.be/Tc0tLGWIqxA

unbelievable how the framed act of buying a monkey jpg in a music video makes post malone look more like a loser nerd than playing magic the gathering on camera

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

comparing wearing a creepy mask in public to pre-mature ejaculation (also in public) is very on point

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/business/status/1460373315852423168?s=20

quote:

“Myself and the folks in the WWE thought $1,000 was a fair price point: We were wrong. We were absolutely wrong, ” Cena said at a convention in Florida in September. “I'm like, man, with a value like that, the 500 of them will be gone. We sold 37 of them. It was a catastrophic failure.”

quote:

Meanwhile, more celeb NFTs are coming. Director Quentin Tarantino just listed uncut scenes from “Pulp Fiction” as NFTs on OpenSea. So far, there are no takers.
lmao

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Lmao the agents who pitched that poo poo to them are so out of job
(One may hope)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Perhaps they just need more blockchain

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Hopefully they convince their firm to buy the NFTs to massage their clients ego, and it sinks them.

You know right now there is some coked up agent in the Hills yelling, "JUST loving BUY THEM YOU'RE MAKING ME LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT" at an intern.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Anyone Seen Tether’s Billions?

Bloomberg can't find them. They probably don't exist.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Aramis posted:

But this is different! In an NFT-based game, there's a tacit approval of that aftermarket by developers. It's like having all of the goodness that was brought by Diablo 3's real-money auctions without being able to extract any profit from it. What sane developer and/or publisher wouldn't jump on such a golden opportunity?

The D3 rmah made Blizz lots of money, the problem was dealing with all the money laundering and the legal troubles they bring.

Sounds familiar don't it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ultrafilter posted:

They definitely exist but you need to give me money to see them

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Here on the blockchain it says they exist, it means it's true.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

The Lone Badger posted:

Each of my shids is a seperate NFT. They are all unique.

Proud owner of Taco Bell Diarrhea #041

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Paladinus posted:

Here on the blockchain it says they exist, it means it's true.

The blockchain has also verified this post thus proving the money exists

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

ultrafilter posted:

the coiners are ~salty~ in the replies on this.

they keep posting that attestation that Tether paid for as evidence that they are audited too. It's like it doesn't even matter to them that they have already been caught lying about their backing multiple times.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Yeah nobody approached because they didnt recognize the reference. It had nothing to do with them thinking you were a lunatic and approaching you would be annoying or possibly dangerous.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

jokes posted:

They definitely exist but you need to give me money to see them

Specifically, you need to give me $1 for every dollar you want me to prove is there. In advance, no take backs.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
“There are now 69 billion Tethers in circulation, 48 billion of them issued this year.”

lol, totally legit

If you’re touching the poop, you’ve earned what you’re gonna get

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

jokes posted:

He held up a hammer in one hand “this can be used to build, destroy, kill and protect”. With his other hand he beheld a great golden bar: “this can entice many to provide goods and services”. He drops them both into the water, to be carried away to the ocean, angering the villagers.

that's utility value

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

ChronoBasher posted:

I forget what podcast, but heard and artist make the argument that the digital art market place has always been second fiddle to physical because of the copy problem, and he saw the value in NFTs because if he minted them himself they would be the only ones that were "signed" by him, or his wallet address. Thus giving equivalent value as a physically signed art price vs a reproduction.

I feel like this has been the only somewhat compelling argument I've heard, but can't people just do this with normal PKI? And not the Blockchain/NFTs? Like digital signitures have been a thing for a while - why "mint" anything?

I get the argument, but it kind of hinges on believing that most people will give a drat about a "signed" digital work that is otherwise identical, bit for bit, to a copy of it, a copy that is not even painstakingly reproduced like a good copy, but just copy and pasted. Right clicked.

Digital work does not lend itself to concepts of uniqueness or unreproducibility or rarity or anything like that. Native digital work like digital paintings, music, and video games are MEANT to be reproduced and your income comes not from selling a $10k physical painting to one person but a $10 print 1000 times. It's true that digital painting is less respected than physical painting, but lots of natively digital work is not, like video games (at least among our age group) and music.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Zil posted:

The D3 rmah made Blizz lots of money, the problem was dealing with all the money laundering and the legal troubles they bring.

Sounds familiar don't it.

Yeah but allowing NFTs as items in your game means all the trading is done outside your game and you can’t get a cut of the transaction price

Why would a game dev add a feature that complicates everything and gain nothing?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I managed to sell a counterstrike knife without an NFT(?)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ymgve posted:

Yeah but allowing NFTs as items in your game means all the trading is done outside your game and you can’t get a cut of the transaction price

Why would a game dev add a feature that complicates everything and gain nothing?
They're smart contracts. You can require a cut to whoever you want. Yourself, the queen of England, Satoshi.

NFTs aren't a clear step back from Steam knives or Blizzard RMAH. They're a long complicated jig off to the side where you eventually trip and fall into a pile of dog poo poo.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

ymgve posted:

*executive in the publishing company bursts through the door*

“All the kids are talking about something called eneftii. Put it in the game, that’s an order”

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't understand anybody saying "clearly bideo james companies are smart enough, they have been in this domain for decades." Haven't they all admitted they are interested in play to earn and other bullshit? It's getting worse before it's getting better.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Salt Fish posted:

Yeah and people did math before computers so good job cro magnon man

I know now that Bitcoin people are stupid as gently caress so I’m going to point out I’m being tongue in cheek here and NFTs are loving stupid and don’t help anyone anywhere at all

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

tehinternet posted:

“There are now 69 billion Tethers in circulation, 48 billion of them issued this year.”

lol, totally legit

If you’re touching the poop, you’ve earned what you’re gonna get

I'm going to guess that there's about $10 million in actual tether reserves. My thinking is they probably have something so they can point to it, but it was probably more than that, like in the $50 million range, but that cash has been looted.

I know I'm being optimistic in suggesting that there's any reserves at all...

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

zedprime posted:

I don't understand anybody saying "clearly bideo james companies are smart enough, they have been in this domain for decades." Haven't they all admitted they are interested in play to earn and other bullshit? It's getting worse before it's getting better.

the very short answer is "they're smart enough to know that it's idiotic of them to give up control over monetization and to jeopardize the legal fig leaf that they have over stuff like lootboxes"

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

zedprime posted:

They're smart contracts. You can require a cut to whoever you want. Yourself, the queen of England, Satoshi.

NFTs aren't a clear step back from Steam knives or Blizzard RMAH. They're a long complicated jig off to the side where you eventually trip and fall into a pile of dog poo poo.

I mean, the proponents of NFTs all talk about exchanging items between games from completely different publishers. Even if you have a Counterstrike Knife NFT contract that skims off the top by Valve, why would Valve allow Call of Duty Knife NFTs into their game, where they don't control the contract?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

jpmeyer posted:

the very short answer is "they're smart enough to know that it's idiotic of them to give up control over monetization and to jeopardize the legal fig leaf that they have over stuff like lootboxes"
Yup, sure, when I think competent, sustainable business practices I think public video game companies.

Hmm, just hearing now Yves has set down his glass of Champaign to explain actually NFTs are cool and good.

The public game companies are loving circuses, why give them any benefit of the doubt?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

zedprime posted:

I'm sure you're already ahead of me on this, so my apologies, but of course play to earn doesn't require the blockchain, and its funny that every use case of blockchain has the same punchline that the exact same idea is already possible but its poo poo on its own so nobody is doing it or they try and get ran out of town because the systems are so miserable (d3 money auctions).

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

zedprime posted:

Yup, sure, when I think competent, sustainable business practices I think public video game companies.

Hmm, just hearing now Yves has set down his glass of Champaign to explain actually NFTs are cool and good.

The public game companies are loving circuses, why give them any benefit of the doubt?

they basically are looking to do something like nba top shot or that disny thing (aka, TECHNICALLY "blockchain" and "nft" but without any of the features that actually excites crypto idiots)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So the crypto bros have decided to take revenge on all of the furries constantly dunking on them by minting and selling said people's fursonas on the blockchain.

It's going really well:

https://twitter.com/NFTtheft/status/1460458070027354117?t=nEqnPoQ4Qu1gAI2NO4tGug&s=19

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So the crypto bros have decided to take revenge on all of the furries constantly dunking on them by minting and selling said people's fursonas on the blockchain.

It's going really well:

https://twitter.com/NFTtheft/status/1460458070027354117?t=nEqnPoQ4Qu1gAI2NO4tGug&s=19

"wealthy" crypto bros vs suspiciously wealthy furries. Gee I wonder who has the better lawyers.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
what a bunch of weirdos

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Salt Fish posted:

That's an illegal transaction, isn't it? Since it was done without the blockchain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You can code all laws as smart contracts on blockchain, and then all transactions on blockchain will automatically be only legal.