Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Correct. The appearance has to be the same level or lower.

Isn't that what McCloud actually wants to do, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's a pretty niche case though since it shouldn't be too long till you're out of the shire and into something higher and can glamor however you like. If you hate the shire just choose a look from a lower level for the short time you have to wear it.

Pasha posted:

If they're trying to use a lower level item they shouldn't be running into a problem though

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Pasha posted:

Misread it a bit, but yeah. You take an appearance of anything equal level or lower no problem. If that wasn't the case, the glamour system would be useless. Higher level appearances are no good.

If a lower level item isn't working, there's some other restriction hitting it - gender, role, job, etc. And the item you're using as an appearance can't already have a glamour on it.

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017

Regy Rusty posted:

If they're trying to use a lower level item they shouldn't be running into a problem though

Yes, that should be fine. McCloud, which items in particular are you having difficulties with glamouring?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm getting burned out on this. There is just too much damned story content. It doesn't matter whether I like it or not, there's just so much and it's a ridiculous time commitment even when you try to break it up into smaller chunks. Like seriously this is absurd. A lot of it seems to be pointless nonsense like zoning out to speak to someone and then running back across the zone to speak to someone else. Go to this building in Ishgard...now go back to where the original character was...then back again. I already endured ARR for fucks sake, enough already. For an MMO that respects the time of its player in so many others ways, this really stands out in stark contrast.

I'm in this weird stage of progression where I'm post-HW but still can't progress my character until I finish multiple patches of story "content" in the 3.x range and it really sucks to be blunt. I have jobs in the mid 60s stuck on hold until I reach some arbitrary story point again. I wonder if they could hit 70+ before I get there, I guess anything is possible while I push this boulder uphill forever.

Maybe I should just buy a skip or something because I'm now feeling so annoyed that I'm not in a good frame of mind to enjoy the "story", all 600 hours of it. I enjoy playing the game more than I enjoy staring at cutscenes and doing filler so perhaps I'm the ideal candidate for skips.

Buy a skip, use newgame+ to go back and do story content that you can start and suspend as you please, and if you find it boring you can just skip the chapter(s). It won't get you past shadowbringer content, but it'll at least get you to the start of 5.0

It's okay to want to do gameplay in your game.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Pasha posted:

Yes, that should be fine. McCloud, which items in particular are you having difficulties with glamouring?

I'm trying to make the Augmented Shire Pankratiasts jacket (270 ilvl) look like a Ghost Barque coat of striking (260 ilvl)

I right click the jacket, click on "Cast glamor", and on the menu that appears the jacket is listed on the left side, under "base", and on the right side (appearence) I see the coat, but it's greyed out and says "Base item cannot be lower than that of glamor cast"

I am also noticing that while the item level is higher on the jacket, the actual level requirement to use it is 60, and 61 for the coat. I'm guessing that's what's causing the issue?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

McCloud posted:

I am also noticing that while the item level is higher on the jacket, the actual level requirement to use it is 60, and 61 for the coat. I'm guessing that's what's causing the issue?

That would be it, yes. It's a very weird system.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

McCloud posted:

I'm trying to make the Augmented Shire Pankratiasts jacket (270 ilvl) look like a Ghost Barque coat of striking (260 ilvl)

I right click the jacket, click on "Cast glamor", and on the menu that appears the jacket is listed on the left side, under "base", and on the right side (appearence) I see the coat, but it's greyed out and says "Base item cannot be lower than that of glamor cast"

This might be a weird edge case, because the ghost barque stuff isn't higher ilvl, but it is probably considered higher since it came out later.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This might be a weird edge case, because the ghost barque stuff isn't higher ilvl, but it is probably considered higher since it came out later.

It's not really an edge case, it's just that the end of expansion gear gets really high ilvl compared to its actual job level.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Regy Rusty posted:

It's not really an edge case, it's just that the end of expansion gear gets really high ilvl compared to its actual job level.

Actually, looking at it now, it's higher level, but lower ilvl. That should really only happen around the X1 level ranges.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

X1 is lower, X3 matches, X5 surpasses, I think. But I also imagine that the glamour restriction only takes character level into account, not item level.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
crafted X4 gear is the first one that's an ilvl upgrade (you'll get some from quests, don't bother buying any from vendors because nq gear is garbage and worse than what you have)

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Why does Square even cares what you glamour onto something? What is the negative of glamouring everything to everything?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Actually, looking at it now, it's higher level, but lower ilvl. That should really only happen around the X1 level ranges.

Yep. Which is why you'll really only run into this particular issue if you try to glamor right in those few levels between the end of an expansion and when your new gear finally replaces the poetics stuff.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Peachfart posted:

Why does Square even cares what you glamour onto something? What is the negative of glamouring everything to everything?

If I were to venture a half-baseless guess, it's that glamourability is tied to equipability in some way under the hood. If you cannot equip it currently, then whatever weird way glamours work won't allow it. Pure glamour items are always lvl 1 with no job requirement, after all. No idea if that's anywhere close to true, but eh.

Weapons have to remain as they are since all of a job's animations are based on that weapon. And if the above is anywhere close to true, then it'd really have to stay that way since your job is literally set by what weapon you have equipped.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Whenever you have a question about why something works like it does, assume whatever nightmare code is operating behind the scenes is preventing it from working in a way that makes sense. The consequences of building A Realm Reborn on top of the complete and utter trashfire that was 1.0.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

absolutely everything I have seen or heard of the 1.0 -> 2.0 transition calls to mind the imagery of a cartoon character laying down train track segments in front of themselves then barreling over them at full speed. while on fire.

those poor, beautiful fools.

Ramie fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 16, 2021

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ziddar posted:

If I were to venture a half-baseless guess, it's that glamourability is tied to equipability in some way under the hood. If you cannot equip it currently, then whatever weird way glamours work won't allow it. Pure glamour items are always lvl 1 with no job requirement, after all. No idea if that's anywhere close to true, but eh.

True or not this theory makes a distressing amount of sense.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think the system is fine as it is really. I don't particularly think it's a bad thing you can't run around as a ninja in the Paladin AF gear or whatever.

That being said if they suddenly said "actually now you can do that" I wouldn't really care either.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

quote:

I can’t express to someone enough that if you buy a skip to “get to the good stuff” you’d might as well not play the game. This is very story centered and if the ARR slog (and yes a lot of it is just a terrible slog I will never deny it, but it has massive payout) is enough to through you off so much you don’t even want to do it. Please go do something else. All a level skip will give you is a confusing mess of events with a class you don’t know how to play and a combat progression you haven’t learned piecemeal. It’s a terrible idea and you should absolutely not but a skip. I implore you.

I picked up Gunbreaker and Dancer at 60, it really wasn't a big deal. I've played other MMOs, this is not super complex. ARR was a ridiculous slog with a payoff that I couldn't really care about because of its awful pacing and frequent bouncing around between 30 different characters. I love everything else about the game, it's like my ideal MMO in every other aspect. My free company is awesome, I like the dungeon content, I like farting around in the golden saucer and in general I find there is a lot to love about the game other than the story. It just feelslike the story is in my way all the time. But as someone else said, I'm coming late to a game that's been around since the PS3. That's a lot to grind through when so much of it is mandatory.

Anyways thanks for the advice and letting me vent thread. I'm going to take the advice of whoever suggested a small break, something I probably should've done after ARR. When I come back if it's still pissing me off I'll just buy a skip and revisit any story content worth seeing.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Is there any point in doing treasure maps if you're almost exclusively a solo player? For maps that are the same level as me (e.g., a dragonskin map for level 60), it seems like the monsters that are summoned when I open the chest can swat me like a fly, and it sounds tremendously tedious to assemble a party on my own just to get the chest.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

There are solo maps that can be worthwhile to do, they're worth less than group maps on average though assuming you can assemble a group (which you can pretty easily through pf, don't even have to make it yourself, just check it occasionally during busy times).

The map will tell you whether it's meant for groups or solo, group maps at 60/70/80 will sync you, the ARR maps will not so you can outlevel them even though some were designed for groups originally.

Algid fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 16, 2021

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
If you're doing them solo, you want to grab the solo versions that don't say a full party is recommended. For level 60 that's the Wyvernskin maps. The rewards aren't going to be as good, and they can't open portals into the map dungeons.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

Is there any point in doing treasure maps if you're almost exclusively a solo player? For maps that are the same level as me (e.g., a dragonskin map for level 60), it seems like the monsters that are summoned when I open the chest can swat me like a fly, and it sounds tremendously tedious to assemble a party on my own just to get the chest.

The capstone maps at 60-70-80 come in two flavors - solo variety and party variety (the latter mention that a party is recommended in the description). Folks are willing to group up for the latter since those have a chance of popping a treasure dungeon portal.

If you don't feel like coordinating though just sell the undeciphered maps on the marketboard. Also if you are gathering maps yourself, you can specifically avoid gathering a map on a node that shows up as the wrong type - it doesn't start the timer until you gather one successfully.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Whenever you have a question about why something works like it does, assume whatever nightmare code is operating behind the scenes is preventing it from working in a way that makes sense. The consequences of building A Realm Reborn on top of the complete and utter trashfire that was 1.0.

i know this is said a lot but i don't think it's actually true. one of the youtubers asked yoshiP about the technical debt from 1.0 during the media tour and he said there is no technical debt from 1.0, that was the purpose of building a whole new game

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Super No Vacancy posted:

i know this is said a lot but i don't think it's actually true. one of the youtubers asked yoshiP about the technical debt from 1.0 during the media tour and he said there is no technical debt from 1.0, that was the purpose of building a whole new game

Then technical debt from building an entire new MMO in like two years to replace their initial failed one.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, I think I've been guilty of saying 1.0 myself, but it's really 2.0 (and the rush from that) and the PS3 support. They've dropped supporting the PS3 (and 32 bit) support, but the some of the engine limitations from that are still there.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Alxprit posted:

X1 is lower, X3 matches, X5 surpasses, I think. But I also imagine that the glamour restriction only takes character level into account, not item level.

What does X1, X3, and X5 mean here?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Goon Boots posted:

What does X1, X3, and X5 mean here?

The levels of the expansion dungeons, with "X" representing the base level of the expansion. For example: the level 51 dungeon in HW drops gear that's worse than the level 50 capstone gear from ARR, the level 53 dungeon drops gear that's equivalent, and the level 55 dungeon gear is an improvement.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’ve finally gotten started on leveling up Bard.

Is the general idea of it at later levels to always have one (and only one) buff song going at all times with a priority rotation, or to pop them all at once like a maniac?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Is the general idea of it at later levels to always have one (and only one) buff song going at all times with a priority rotation, or to pop them all at once like a maniac?

One at a time. They're functionally a stance system that happens to provide small buffs for the party.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
You can also only have one running at a time. Starting one while another is going will end the active one.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Regalingualius posted:

In single target you go Minuet > Ballad > Paeon and then go back to minuet once it's ready even if it means finishing Paeon early.

In multi target ballad takes priority over minuet because of the rain of death procs but otherwise same principles apply.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Doesn't Paeon take priority over Minuet in AoE too? Since Pitch Perfect is always single target.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If the enemies last long enough that Ballad ran out, you're doing something wrong or your party isn't bringing the deeps. Use Minuet to pick off stragglers in that case.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
Is there any good recommendation for gearing up in ShB quickly? I’m about a 477 item level after breaking down and buying a exarchic weapon to get me high enough to run the second to last dungeon. The last dungeon requires me to get to 490 to run it, but it seems like the only options for that gear is Eden, the Alliance Raid, or shelling out for crafted gear. Are there any other easier alternatives? I just want to get through the MSQ quickly and finish up 5.5.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i switched from whm to DRK at level 63 and now I’m in shb and am level 73. I want to play WAR now. Would buying a a WAR boost be a bad idea? I wouldn’t want to boost my first tank but I’ve been tanking fine. I don’t think I’d boost any dps or other healers because I don’t know what I would be doing with them

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Pobrecito posted:

Is there any good recommendation for gearing up in ShB quickly? I’m about a 477 item level after breaking down and buying a exarchic weapon to get me high enough to run the second to last dungeon. The last dungeon requires me to get to 490 to run it, but it seems like the only options for that gear is Eden, the Alliance Raid, or shelling out for crafted gear. Are there any other easier alternatives? I just want to get through the MSQ quickly and finish up 5.5.

Those are more-or-less your options, though you might have scrounged up enough Allegory or Revelation tomestones to pick up something from the vendor. Allegory will get you 490 gear, and Revelation will get you 520.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Pobrecito posted:

How many tomes so you have. You can use the easy to get tomes to buy I think 490 gear.

Alternatively if you shop around for the cheapest hq crafted gear of any class you can trade it in for certificates in eulmore and then use the basic tomestones and those certificates to buy 530 gear. Still involves spending Gil though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Mainwaring posted:

How many tomes so you have. You can use the easy to get tomes to buy I think 490 gear.

Alternatively if you shop around for the cheapest hq crafted gear of any class you can trade it in for certificates in eulmore and then use the basic tomestones and those certificates to buy 530 gear. Still involves spending Gil though.

Augmented Exarchic gear is 520, but yeah. This does also require Allegory to buy the needed Rain items for the upgrading, though.