Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is she the one nobody likes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

FoolyCharged posted:

Eh, it's not like all Texas schools must have the same accreditation. It's just a third party vouching that you're actually teaching people the poo poo you say you are. As long as people hiring your grads accept it no one cares.

Right, but it was something really stupid like trying to get regional accreditation from NE regional group or some poo poo. Googling for University of Austin stuff, even exact syntax matching, all I get is UT poo poo. Something I am sure they deliberately were trying to do. And I don't care enough to go digging deep enough to try and find it.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Arcella posted:

what does "most liberal" mean

Owns a crazy bird shop, dyes her hair blue, incredible dog mom energy

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Kunabomber posted:

So a Portland Portlandia sketch, got it

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Kunabomber posted:

drat I thought Kyrsten Sinema was from Arizona.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/JeremySWallace/status/1460620768577003523

2018: Beto loses but helps the downticket races
2022: Beto loses but helps get weed legalized

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Yeah. Shot a campaign vid to run for Congress while she was in DC doing whatever the dems thought they were doing up there, then she got redistricted out of that CD

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1460454073291972608

What a strange thing to believe

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

zoux posted:

Yeah. Shot a campaign vid to run for Congress while she was in DC doing whatever the dems thought they were doing up there, then she got redistricted out of that CD

So how long are they going to keep waiting?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Dameius posted:

Weren't they seeking accreditation with the wrong group?

I mean, so far everything is extremely shaky and I don't think they even have any full classes listed. Just stuff like this:

quote:

BEGINNING SUMMER 2022
THE FORBIDDEN COURSES

Our Forbidden Courses summer program invites top students from other universities to join us for a spirited discussion about the most provocative questions that often lead to censorship or self-censorship in many universities. Students will become proficient and comfortable with productive disagreement. Instructors will range from top professors to accomplished business leaders, journalists, and artists.

So it feels a lot like they're basically going to spin wheels offering "Can White People Say the N-Word? 101 (Graduate Level Program)"

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

She recruited herself. She wanted to run for something higher before the 2020 election.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

zoux posted:

Why jfk Jr, of all people? A rich white guy who did nothing but coast on the popularity and success of his family, and... oh. Ok, yeah. Got it. Lol, I hear it, now that I said it out loud.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The Bananana posted:

Why jfk Jr, of all people? A rich white guy who did nothing but coast on the popularity and success of his family, and... oh. Ok, yeah. Got it. Lol, I hear it, now that I said it out loud.

JFK was one of those major focal points of Boomer's lives (which bled into Gen X because virtually all of the media they consumed growing up was by boomers who were patting themselves on the back about how the 60s were the greatest decade in human history). Now that Ted Kennedy is dead and they no longer have to deal with the association between Kennedy and Liberals, they can start to fully imagine the Kennedys as part of the Republican/QAnon fold. As for why Jr and not JFK himself, it's a smaller logical leap to imagine that the plane crash no one saw was faked rather than the assassination that everyone saw (over and over and over) didn't happen.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

The Bananana posted:

The theory is that Hillary Clinton was gonna have JFK Jr killed to clear the way for her senate campaign, so he faked his death

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Kunabomber posted:

The theory is that Hillary Clinton was gonna have JFK Jr killed to clear the way for her senate campaign, so he faked his death

If Hillary was anything like conspiracy theory Hillary, Trump would never have been President. It amazes me how the crazies can have such conflicting views on her.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
We all wish that the reality of the Democrats were even 20% of the GOP narrative around them

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zoux posted:

Beto should announce he's JFK Jr

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

LanceHunter posted:

JFK was one of those major focal points of Boomer's lives (which bled into Gen X because virtually all of the media they consumed growing up was by boomers who were patting themselves on the back about how the 60s were the greatest decade in human history). Now that Ted Kennedy is dead and they no longer have to deal with the association between Kennedy and Liberals, they can start to fully imagine the Kennedys as part of the Republican/QAnon fold. As for why Jr and not JFK himself, it's a smaller logical leap to imagine that the plane crash no one saw was faked rather than the assassination that everyone saw (over and over and over) didn't happen.

Note, this doesn't mean they don't believe that JFK didn't fake his public assassination and secretly accepted control of the presidency from Trump under the law that allows presidents to hand control over to former presidents.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

duz posted:

Note, this doesn't mean they don't believe that JFK didn't fake his public assassination and secretly accepted control of the presidency from Trump under the law that allows presidents to hand control over to former presidents.

I just had a flashback to the "conspiracy a-go-go" scene in Slacker. Then that reminded me that a guy I used to work with at UT way back in the early-00s who was basically the real-life version of that character. He'd come into our computer lab to scan in archive photos of Oswald and stuff for his books (he had published several books on the topic), and would absolutely talk your ear off about the assassination if you let him.

See, that's the thing with Austin "weird". It generally gets conflated with liberalism or leftism or being "a blue dot in a sea or red" or whatever. And there is plenty of that. But Austin's weird, first and foremost, was just weird. There are just a lot of crazy folks here, mixed in freely with the artists and the musicians and the academics and the slackers and everybody else.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
There is a reason Alex Jones fit in as basically normal there for so long.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Dameius posted:

There is a reason Alex Jones fit in as basically normal there for so long.

My intro to Alex Jones was in the early 2010s from an elderly black coworker who was apolitical, didn't trust government or vote, was into conspiracy theories, talked about anti-black racism a lot, very into exercise, and ate highly specific vegan diets. I know he didn't vote in 2016, but the clear association of Alex Jones with Trump, the Republicans, and white nationalism definitely veered from my initial exposure to the guy. Conspiracy theorists, of course - but not specifically white Republicans.

Badger of Basra posted:

She's one of them, yeah. Someone I know who worked for her said she was hard to work for - chaotic, yelled at staff (I know that sounds like a given, but some offices are way worse than others, some aren't as bad as bosses as you'd assume). She never passed a bill, or even came close, in two sessions because she didn't get along with folks.

Sometimes she is good at being the person who will be hated for doing or saying something correct, so not all bad. But running for higher office is embarrassing here - not that that stops most legislators from running for Congress.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
As a constituent I found her to be very communicative and that helps a lot at the local level in terms of re-election. The legislative effectiveness stuff usually doesn't make the news. On the political sphere, she pissed off enough people around here that there was at least one city-level Democratic politician that endorsed the Republican lmao

I asked that politician what was going on and it turns out she completely failed at the back scratching exercises that is required in this hosed up system while the republican candidate did the bare minimum with local level outreach, etc

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Kunabomber posted:

As a constituent I found her to be very communicative and that helps a lot at the local level in terms of re-election. The legislative effectiveness stuff usually doesn't make the news. On the political sphere, she pissed off enough people around here that there was at least one city-level Democratic politician that endorsed the Republican lmao

I asked that politician what was going on and it turns out she completely failed at the back scratching exercises that is required in this hosed up system while the republican candidate did the bare minimum with local level outreach, etc

That is definitely something I was hearing about her around the pandemic - really good outreach at that time, mostly won re-election by texting a ton instead of doing other outreach. I think there's an important balance though that if other Dems can't work with you, then at some point being adversarial as your default doesn't help.

All that said, even if you are a "constituent services are most important to me" voter, the lieutenant governor is then worst position for you as a politician. The lieutenant governor mostly runs the Senate, not much else.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1460748107671552007

You think even a third of these are Texans

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Just used y’all’d in a sentence in an email and it felt good

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TXElects/status/1461039833858596874

lmao Lupe Valdez suuuucked

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

zoux posted:

You think even a third of these are Texans

Man I fuckin' wish that there were a bunch of people from outside the state pouring money into dislodging Republicans.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

George H.W. oval office posted:

Just used y’all’d in a sentence in an email and it felt good

Wasn't y'all'd've... sad

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Man I fuckin' wish that there were a bunch of people from outside the state pouring money into dislodging Republicans.

Dude, you know how much outside money Amy McGrath and Sara Gideon pulled in from salty out-of-state D's in '20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

worked in georgia for the consolidate data centers guy, but lol mcgrath

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Point is, small-donor Democrats have no problems sending money to opponents of red state politicians who piss them off on the news

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

zoux posted:

Point is, small-donor Democrats have no problems sending money to opponents of red state politicians who piss them off on the news

The nationalization of politics giveth (millions of dollars of out-of-state small-donor money), and the nationalization of politics taketh away (state house and senate seats).

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Did she even fuggin' campaign?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

IT BURNS posted:

Did she even fuggin' campaign?

Define, "campaign".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ByEdMcKinley/status/1461120345910484997

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Also out-campaigned her after 1 minute of campaigning

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

"A couple who has not previously been sexually active and who is faithful to each other"

Nice grammar, lady being trusted to teach kids.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FoolyCharged posted:

"A couple who has not previously been sexually active and who is faithful to each other"

Nice grammar, lady being trusted to teach kids.

No they mean what they said. If you go to a church you can simply give money to the guy screaming about Biden and he can wipe away all of your past mistakes with a baptism. That solves the “previously been” part. And then the “is faithful to each other” part can be solved by pointing out that boys will be boys unless you’re a democrat.

jokes fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 18, 2021

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

But the verb still needs to show agreement with the subject, e.g. " ...who are faithful to each other. "

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Maybe it’s like a Jerry Seinfeld question “and who is faithful to each other?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

radical meme posted:

Holy poo poo, he looks young. How does someone become that radicalized at such a young age?

I was radicalized as a neo Nazi at like 13. Started with YouTube , conspiracies involving the jews and black people mostly, and griefing online games for hella years. Lots of hard R n words spammed and yelled.
Seriously there are more "nstomper1488s" than your think. And they are a goo monster with little sects all over the place slowly radicalizing other young kids on the internet.

Racists objective is to get others to be racist to carry on the torch of their horrific beliefs. It took a loooooooooong time for me to completely shed that poo poo from my psyche.

(i will literally regret this for my entire life so spare me the chastising)