Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

BRJohnson posted:

In all fairness it's both though right? We all need to be willing and able to learn, teach, and change. As we all know, our leaders can't and won't save us. I'm certainly not saying come to the middle or let the right frame the issues, but we do need to try to reach them as their neighbors and family, obviously the democrats can't do it (even the few sincere leftists).

As stated, I understand your point but that word simply has a totally different meaning from yours to the people in my meat-space. The shift from polite correction to straight up telling me what to do lest I be a fascist mouthpiece is interesting given the context of the current discussion. I'm not bristling over here, just seemed worth pointing out.

Look I'm not levelling a moral judgment, I'm telling you the truth. If you refuse to challenge stolen words 'in your meat-space', you are helping fascist propagandists.

I also want to point out the very hilarious juxtaposition of "willing and able to learn, teach and change" followed by "I don't want to do any work to help reclaim something now used as fascist propaganda because it might disrupt my comfortable social life". Context of the current discussion indeed.

Ecuadorian dog tax, as is tradition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah, Turkey's economy is a basket case built on shoddy construction and government cronyism to the point that many of the people I know in Turkey say that they believe the whole coup attempt was engineered by Erdogan to distract from the economy and consolidate his position before everything goes to total poo poo.

Turkey has been an economic basket case for a while and that is well-known.

Their inflation rate has been around 8% (still very high) every year since 2010.

But, 51% in one year is very different from where they have historically been.

That is a roughly 6x increase in the average from the last 10 years and pretty wild.

Fame Douglas posted:

How does somebody that posts in news forums constantly not know anything about the past few years of Turkey being in a fiscal crisis.

Turkey being in an economic crisis isn't new. But, a 6x increase in (already high) inflation is very new.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 16, 2021

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Spice World War II posted:

You've been explained the facts, and your reaction was "welp, this is interesting, but the racists have already won this one". Even if that is true in your personal "meat-space" full of unthinking dicks, still leaves you the extremely easy option to not use the term like that anymore, at no cost to yourself. Your reaction however implies that you think this is another example of the uncompromising left pushing people away with unreasonable demands...

Even by your uncharitable interpretation, I never pledged to keep using the word the same way or at all.

skylined! posted:

Look I'm not levelling a moral judgment, I'm telling you the truth. If you refuse to challenge stolen words 'in your meat-space', you are helping fascist propagandists.

I also want to point out the very hilarious juxtaposition of "willing and able to learn, teach and change" followed by "I don't want to do any work to help reclaim something now used as fascist propaganda because it might disrupt my comfortable social life". Context of the current discussion indeed.

Ecuadorian dog tax, as is tradition

What the gently caress? I thanked you for the correction, and pointed out how bad things are wrt the usage of the word. We've been talking about winning people over and forming a ground up movement, the fact that the word is a huge turn off to some people is absolutely relevant and not my fault, nor have I said I'm OK with what's happened.

Decon posted:

You can be the change you wanna see in your meatspace. I have every intention of pointing out where "woke" came from, who demonized it, and to what ends. It's a brainworms larva and I see it working on people around me.

The present usage of "woke" is described well by that one right wing thinktank guy claiming credit for CRT being a big issue in 2021 elections; it's meant to be a touchpoint for "leftish things that offended me" in the hopes that building such a mentalmap will build anti-left biases. And it will NOT stop at social issues. Already, vaccination battles are being brought under the umbrella of "woke".

Thank you.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Something seems very wrong in Turkey.

I was looking at the annual inflation numbers across the world and saw this:

- Australia: 3.8%

- Global Average: 4.1%

- E.U. Average: 4.2%

- United States: 6%

- Turkey: 51.2% (!?!)

Once again Erdogan pulled his trademark "let's have more accommodative monetary policy to lower inflation" move.

I'll bet this becomes worse as people unwind the carry trade because of US inflation. (Or maybe this already happened?)

plogo fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 16, 2021

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
"Woke" also lends itself to "hilarious" catchphrases like, "Going woke makes you broke!!!!" when some movie offends you for some dumb reason and then lays an egg at the box office.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Turkey is a good case for why an independent central bank might be a good idea!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Is there a Rittenhouse thread somewhere?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

LionArcher posted:

this tracks. To be clear, I'm not preaching to them, this is just heat checks when this stuff comes up in conversation. There are mutual friends that do the classic preaching that are a huge turn off.

The people who do that in my friend group about "everyones privilege" are always the most well off, with backing from their parents and didn't have to pay for college. (Ivy League esc)

I was going to reply to this last night. I get what you're saying. It's people perceiving and believing that identity politics have "gone too far" and the reaction/backlash to that.

Part of it is from some people (everywhere on the political spectrum) misunderstanding terms and also misunderstanding what's necessary to fix systemic issues. Even though the concepts are there to identify systemic (sometimes relating individual e.g. missing stair) issues and help correct them. When they're misused and misapplied it can create problems.

Problems like assigning blame to individuals for those systemic issues. Some people believe that self-flagellation is necessary and even expect or demand it of others. It's not at all necessary and it does nothing to actually solve problems. Some people do in fact use identity politics to explain away their flaws, bad behaviors and interpersonal problems that they are at least partially responsible for.

Bad actors use it to burnish their reputations, gain notoriety and as a means of control. As part of that control it's used to punishment people they feel have wronged them or are getting more attention. It doesn't just create divisions, it forces the creation of out-groups when the ideas are used in this way. It's using what are good ideas and proven concepts to cloak bad deeds and even cruelty for the pursuit of popularity and power. Which is sad, because the concepts are ultimately supposed to bring people together.

The issues are compounded by the fact that the right-wing purposefully adds to the confusion for culture war reasons. It's also made worse because systemic bigotry is still the much bigger problem.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Oh absolutely, I think we should be organizing with our neighbors and local community. Forming support groups and local groups are a great way to change people's minds and move them to the left. But I also think that all goes back to being trapped within the system and cleaning up the mess of those in charge.

It's always a good idea to do this even if the system is adequate providing for people (it's not), whether you or others are complicit in it.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

What does that mean in actionable terms though that isn't just cleaning up messes created by those actually in charge? I agree with the idea that people within the system who benefit from it are involved in it and should push back but I also think the current rhetoric is just used to obscure who is actually responsible for the state of the world. It spreads blame onto everyone and obscures why our society is structured the way it is instead of pointing to those in charge who have the most control. It points to systemic racism as the problem and then tells you that to change that you need to change yourself instead of changing any of the systems in society.

I cant speak what it means in a universally applicable sense but for me it presents in a few ways...

* i volunteer with and help fund a street medic collective to ensure groups have the support they need to maintain pressure over time

* i work with groups that provide wellness services for unhoused populations

* i'm teaching my kids to be distinctly aware of their privilege and how as a member of this society they are partially responsible for its ills

* i advocate for a new continental congress and the dissolution of the current state

Then again i dont engage with twitter or anything so I have no clue what the current rhetoric is. I dont hear anything of the sort when im deployed.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

skylined! posted:

If you refuse to challenge stolen words 'in your meat-space', you are helping fascist propagandists.

It’s a waste of time trying to compete with 24/7 right wing propaganda trying to challenge “stolen words”.

Just state in simple terms what policies you are for or against and why.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Fame Douglas posted:

How does somebody that posts in news forums constantly not know anything about the past few years of Turkey being in a fiscal crisis.

What use is this post? How does it contribute in any way? This is the sort of poo poo that makes the thread unbearable. If lovely condescension is the entire content of a post, just don't.

I keep seeing stories in the media about Biden's staff fighting with Harris. It's probably just the usual Dems in Disarray bullshit but hey, if it damages Harris I'll take it.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I think handwringing over words and symbols is dumb anyways. Its like that time a while back where the OK symbol somehow meant your a nazi lmao.

Depending on the context you use the word woke I am pretty sure everyone here will understand what you mean so i don't think theres any need to worry about it needing reclamation or being surrendered to other people.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

nelson posted:

It’s a waste of time trying to compete with 24/7 right wing propaganda trying to challenge “stolen words”.

That "waste of time" has resulted in nonstop ceding of ground in my lifetime as the far right is able to constantly dictate the conversation. Again, in the information age, words are power.

The left succeeded at toxifying slurs, but it feels like, at every other turn, we've gleefully adopted the right wing outrage buzzword du jour... Even in cases where (like with woke) it oftentimes feels like it's just a slur with like one extra step.

Yes, policies are important but you won't get poo poo done if every single pro-working class policy is screeched at as "woke" by moderate liberals because they have unaddressed brainworms

Edit: if you awkwardly pose in a MAGA hat with a 👌 thrown up, you're a Nazi hth

Decon fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 16, 2021

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

Its like that time a while back where the OK symbol somehow meant your a nazi lmao.

It is still the case that this might indicate you are a white supremacist.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

cr0y posted:

Is there a Rittenhouse thread somewhere?

There's a C-SPAM thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3984445&perpage=40&pagenumber=25#pti16

Linking to to the latest page because it may or may not have derailed into a slapfight over Marxist praxis over the weekend

I think there's also a gbs thread if you want to read about how Rittenhouse is a little angel who made a boo-boo and all the protesters were adrenochrome-guzzling pedophiles

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
We are not doing a Rittenhouse thread because:
1. The trial is going poorly
2. In GBS it was an absolutely shitshow
3. Nobody started one here.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
There's not a D&D thread but mostly were all on the same page as one another and the cspammers and it's the only current event that matters right now. BBb isn't going anywhere soon.

gently caress "Rule of Law" as an end into itself.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I keep seeing stories in the media about Biden's staff fighting with Harris. It's probably just the usual Dems in Disarray bullshit but hey, if it damages Harris I'll take it.

Like those couple weeks last summer when there was a spate of negative stories about Harris that all came out at once, it's happening once again.

This time it seemed to be set off by the CNN story ostensibly written to be sympathetic toward her, but even the fawning bits couldn't be offset by the whining/grumbling coming from her team, if not her directly.

And a lot of the stories, including the CNN piece, seem to be pitting her against Buttigieg, some sort of battle royale in which they're both angling to be Daddy's Favorite Child.

I guess it makes sense in context of Biden's age & abilities, and the doubt as to whether he'd choose to run for a second term that would end when he's 86, and maybe his current underwater popularity has the sharks circling, but it seems awfully early to be gaming out 2024 so I'm unsure as to why it's all happening now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Harold Fjord posted:

There's not a D&D thread but mostly were all on the same page as one another and the cspammers and it's the only current event that matters right now. BBb isn't going anywhere soon.

gently caress "Rule of Law" as an end into itself.

Yeah nobody is going to call anyone out for discussing Rittenhouse in the CE thread, for sure. If someone wants to make a Rittenhouse thread, they can.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

I guess it makes sense in context of Biden's age & abilities, and the doubt as to whether he'd choose to run for a second term that would end when he's 86, and maybe his current underwater popularity has the sharks circling, but it seems awfully early to be gaming out 2024 so I'm unsure as to why it's all happening now.

There must always be content. The clicks must flow.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

nelson posted:

This is nonsense, coward poo poo. Making it clear that you will challenge people using appropriated, coded language to hide what their racist intentions, or as a blanket scold for anything not sufficiently racist/sexist, is an incredibly basic actionable thing anyone in this thread can do.

OctaMurk posted:

I think handwringing over words and symbols is dumb anyways. Its like that time a while back where the OK symbol somehow meant your a nazi lmao.

The OK symbol is a pretty textbook example of fascist propagandizing. The work that crypto fascists have done to shame anyone to their left for calling it out, and how quick many have been to accept that shame, has been a thing to watch. Proud Boys have made zero attempt to hide what they mean by throwing down a hand gesture that literally means 'white power', while their supporters have you convinced they don't actually mean it, it's just for laughs ok. Never believe that anti-semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies, etc.

quote:

Depending on the context you use the word woke I am pretty sure everyone here will understand what you mean so i don't think theres any need to worry about it needing reclamation or being surrendered to other people.

James Baldwin is going to do a better job explaining this than I ever could.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

OctaMurk posted:

you understand that, depending on the context, the "ok" symbol is still being used by nazis and assorted white nationalists, right?
and that it 100% has, is, and will be used as a psychological weapon against minorities in public places because of this "it's just the ok symbol, bro" cover, right?
really the only reason to dismiss this fact is ignorance or maliciousness, i'm just trying to gauge which.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm going to say something I would not have expected to hear myself say five years ago: I get why people voted for Trump. That's not to say that I have any love for the son of a bitch; I hate his guts for August 12, 2017 alone. But the same monster that is disillusioning chuds and bringing them into the arms of a Trump is the same one disillusioning the left: Capitalism. The corrupt, rotten-from-top-to-bottom system.

The difference is in how the two sides react. In general, Trumpers punch down at minorities, immigrants, LGBTQ, etc. and fall into the trap of cultural grievance. By being useless cowards and losers, the Democrats leave an opening for the culture war stuff. I remember in 2010 that one of the arguments of the tea party was that Washington/Democrats/Obama "wasn't listening". They were right! Few if any of the elites are listening to us or give two shits about us. Their wealth and power completely insulates them from the everyday life that we live. When you feel as though you're powerless and unheard, you tend to turn in desperation to whining about nothing issues like CRT and """""woke""""". It's a tantrum because you feel as though you have no traction on so-called "kitchen table issues".

If the left can find a way to break through that propaganda and talk to working class voters without "jargon", I think we could find common ground on many - maybe not all - the issues we're discussing.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 16, 2021

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Decon posted:

That "waste of time" has resulted in nonstop ceding of ground in my lifetime as the far right is able to constantly dictate the conversation. Again, in the information age, words are power.

The left succeeded at toxifying slurs, but it feels like, at every other turn, we've gleefully adopted the right wing outrage buzzword du jour... Even in cases where (like with woke) it oftentimes feels like it's just a slur with like one extra step.

Yes, policies are important but you won't get poo poo done if every single pro-working class policy is screeched at as "woke" by moderate liberals because they have unaddressed brainworms

Edit: if you awkwardly pose in a MAGA hat with a 👌 thrown up, you're a Nazi hth

But decrying something that's coming from the left as being repetitious of, or a shibboleth for, a right-wing belief is letting the right dictate the conversation. To jump right into a polarizing example, consider straight-up Trump-talk like how the "mainstream media" lies and distorts to get the outcome it wants. In 2015 this was front and center of every pro-Trump mouthpiece. "CNN hates him, they're lying about him!" "MSNBC hates him, they're lying about him!" (disclosure: piss tape has to be real, i can't handle a world where the piss tape isn't real) and if you said "hey yea, those outlets kinda suck they always go to bat for war and for bank bailouts" the conversation was shut down with accusations of supporting Trump because Trump and his supporters were the only ones that could possibly have motivation to criticize establishment media IN THE MOST IMPORTANT ELECTION OF OUR LIVES

The next election cycle, Chris Matthews (?) publicly melted down about being guillotined by the red-brown alliance yellow vest stalinist-sandersist vanguard if Bernie Sanders won and many of the same types were patting themselves on the back for...seeing through the performative bullshit and emotional appeal away from a more reformative candidate. If you're saying "Democrat party" or "Let's go Brandon" you're not just, saying something stupid that upsets democrats because it upsets them and seeing your political adversaries upset is entertaining. If you said you believed Tara Reade you were written off as bitter or a right-wing operative because Tara went on Tucker once therefore anyone that believes her or reports on the story should be viewed as suspect at best because it came from the right wing so it can't be talked about.

The problem with effective propaganda remains the same as it always has been: the secret ingredient of "just enough objective truth"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The futility of trying to beat out misinfo with real info had been beaten to death as a topic. It's regularly used in this very thread as an argument to ban people who say an incorrect thing. Demanding other posters do it more in their own lives, rather than letting them make their own judgement on who and who is not persuadable, seems like a new method of gatekeeping righteousness.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Decon posted:

Words are power. The right has a well oiled and well paid propaganda network consisting of social media, radio, television, and newspapers/magazines that all focus on the basic fears of ordinary non-academic people. The left has unpaid activists shouting in the streets and on message boards and liberal arts PhDs writing for each other in academic journals.

Of course the former is going to win in terms of votes, regardless of who wins in truthiness.

skylined! posted:

This is nonsense, coward poo poo. Making it clear that you will challenge people using appropriated, coded language to hide what their racist intentions, or as a blanket scold for anything not sufficiently racist/sexist, is an incredibly basic actionable thing anyone in this thread can do.

Have you ever changed the minds of “people with racist intentions” by scolding them over word definitions? Maybe you have. But personally I don’t see it winning hearts and minds.

nelson fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 16, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If your friends aren't terminally online and falling for "the loony left" nonsense, then they've probably been targeted by RWM talking points that have filtered down into media that most "liberal or left-leaning" people don't realize is inherently conservative.

If they're terminally online and their fee fees are hurt because they saw a trans person angry about something on Tumblr or Twitter, they should practice the art of logging off.

And that's as much credence as anyone should give to the idea that radical leftists have gone too far in forcing society to bend to their whims. When you see some dumb poo poo isolated incident like the Australian school thing and think it represents an alarming pattern, congrats, you're falling for right wing media framing as well.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pobrecito posted:

It’s Thanksgiving, of course Turkey prices would be high!
I thought it was up only 27% though

https://twitter.com/RepStefanik/status/1459182539114000386

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 16, 2021

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Who makes a 15 pound turkey? That's gargantuan.

Or maybe I'm the weirdo who never had a Thanksgiving where 20 people came over for dinner?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

What policies have actually even been enacted by Biden that would impact turkey prices this quickly?

If I had to guess, it's just delayed impact from some Trump policy.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Crows Turn Off posted:

What policies have actually even been enacted by Biden that would impact turkey prices this quickly?

If I had to guess, it's just delayed impact from some Trump policy.

It’s not just turkey, chicken wing prices are loving nuts in many places right now.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

The increase is mostly a spillover effect of reduced production in 2020, as a lot of turkey we will eat in the coming weeks has been frozen for a year. COVID killed production in a lot of ag sectors in 2020 and we are paying the price now. The entire sector is also passing along costs associated with COVID to consumers as well - increased safety measures, on-site testing, stoppage and restart costs, etc. Much of the added cost could have been avoided, of course, with any sort of national plan to respond to an emergent pandemic as it specifically relates to food production.

But don't bother talking about it when your cousin blames the rising cost of turkey on Biden and the Woke Left at the table; that'd be rude.

Riptor posted:

15 pounds isn't crazy. Turkeys frequently weigh up to 20 pounds.

It's the most common-sized turkey purchased.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 16, 2021

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Eric Cantonese posted:

Or maybe I'm the weirdo who never had a Thanksgiving where 20 people came over for dinner?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Riptor posted:

My family Thanksgiving outings usually require only an 8 pounder. Like I said, maybe my Thanksgivings weren't super-traditional.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Professor Beetus posted:

If your friends aren't terminally online and falling for "the loony left" nonsense, then they've probably been targeted by RWM talking points that have filtered down into media that most "liberal or left-leaning" people don't realize is inherently conservative.

Which is why I feel the need to challenge grass touchers in my life about the terms they're using, where they heard them, where they originated, and why/how/when they're using them. It's likely they just came across it in some editorial or a comment section and it stuck and they didn't criticize the term.

Lib and let die posted:

But decrying something that's coming from the left as being repetitious of, or a shibboleth for, a right-wing belief is letting the right dictate the conversation.

So the only winning move is to not play?

Decon fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 16, 2021

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Eric Cantonese posted:

I like having leftovers and my relatives love to take some home as well. A 20lb turkey does this well.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The US has pretty high inflation in general, makes sense that turkeys would get more expensive.

Also, Republicans ruining the economy and Democrats having to clean up the mess is a time-honored tradition.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Only thing I demand from anyone facing terminally right-wing nonsense is to challenge it or cut the person in question from their life.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Eric Cantonese posted:

My family Thanksgiving outings usually require only an 8 pounder.

That's fine, but 15 pounds is actually the average weight of a thanksgiving turkey in the us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
odd how this "COMPARED TO LAST YEAR!!" poo poo, much like the caravans, never came up before.
oh, do things suck for the poor in america? how KIND of you to finally loving notice gop, but don't worry: the next time an "r" is a president all of those concerns will go away. like a miracle.