Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Impermanent posted:

I gotta say there's something like that in every souls game. Skeletons in fireworks shrine, big crystal lizard in the opening of ds3, etc.

There is, but I don't think many people got stuck on the lizard in DS3 since it's fairly obvious that progress isn't in that direction.

I just specifically hate that mace rear end in a top hat since it has some of the most bullshit tracking in the game. That fucker will do a 180 while doing his overhead attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
DS1 to DS2 is nothing compared to literally any From mecha game to Steel Batallion: Heavy Armor. The mech designs are terrible, the art direction is terrible, the gameplay is terrible, and the controls are especially terrible.

The only explanation is Capcom mandating every terrible decision about that game.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
DS2 was my first Souls game and it hooked me hard. When I went back to play DS1 I was pretty underwhelmed, so I actually like 2 more than 1 which seems like an unpopular opinion.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DS2 is the weakest Soulsborne game which means it's still better than 99.99 percent of video games.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Elden ring let's gooooooooooooooo

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Colonel Whitey posted:

DS2 was my first Souls game and it hooked me hard. When I went back to play DS1 I was pretty underwhelmed, so I actually like 2 more than 1 which seems like an unpopular opinion.

Only being able to roll in 4 directions loving suuuuucks. But then there's nothing in DS2 that is as good as undead burg and the entrance to Anor Londo so I'd still give DS1 the nod over 2. Hell, I have a hard time ranking 3 over 1 even though 3 is way more consistent quality wise and you can feel the age difference between the two.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I recently put like 80 hours into a massive Dark Souls 1 replay (SL1 on NG and then platinum trophy on four subsequent NGs) and it didn't take too long to get used to the limited dodging directions again. The most important direction to dodge is straight ahead anyway.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Groovelord Neato posted:

DS2 is the weakest Soulsborne game which means it's still better than 99.99 percent of video games.

Def this, but it was missing the sense of the wondrous and uncanny that draws me to the Soulsborne games. Miyazaki has such a unique voice though, and I'm drawn to these games primarily to experience it, so it's not really fair to say Dark Souls 2 was bad; just disappointing for me based on that sole criteria. I'm a single issue voter.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Dark Souls 2 has Majula Theme tho

Can we really be so hard on it?

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
My only problem with DS2 wasn’t even a problem per se, but was when compared to DS1. I loved the inter connectivity of the world in DS1 and the shortcuts between areas, so the spokes on a wheel world layout in 2 I found underwhelming. Gameplay wise though I thought it was great.

Edit: I thought that Bloodborne really did it with the best of both worlds with the Hunters Dream- you got to have the sprawling interwoven world, but also there was a central home base with meaningful content way beyond what Firelink Shrine had.

Silynt fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 16, 2021

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Illusory Wall put out a video explaining a pretty neat feature that I haven't heard talked about : Group passwords. You can set a community password separate from the normal online password, which causes summon signs, messages, phantoms etc to appear different for people in your group and it doesn't block out the general public, so we could set up a goon password and still be able to engage in regular online coop/pvp etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQeIHOOrPdI

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah going from 1 to 2, the hub-and-spoke layout didn't wow me, but after playing through 3 a few times I way prefer it to 3's linear "welcome to the third level" layout

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Brandfarlig posted:

Oh, you mean the mace knight at Heides tower of flame that I spent an hour bashing my face against before finding the proper way to go because it was my first Souls game and I knew they were supposed to be hard?

That's the timeless message of DaS2 - it's hard, gently caress you. It wrecks everything the series was super good at and turns it into a caricature. Bloodborne is a game that's in my lifetime top 5 and I was completely uninterested until I played it because I'd figured From jumped the shark. Every patch/dlc I'm imagining some guy in From saying "Look I know you think the game is ok but reddit is saying..." and that terrifies me.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Colonel Whitey posted:

Illusory Wall put out a video explaining a pretty neat feature that I haven't heard talked about : Group passwords. You can set a community password separate from the normal online password, which causes summon signs, messages, phantoms etc to appear different for people in your group and it doesn't block out the general public, so we could set up a goon password and still be able to engage in regular online coop/pvp etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQeIHOOrPdI

That’s good! I set a goons group password in the network test and had no idea what it was supposed to do

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Mailer posted:

That's the timeless message of DaS2 - it's hard, gently caress you. It wrecks everything the series was super good at and turns it into a caricature. Bloodborne is a game that's in my lifetime top 5 and I was completely uninterested until I played it because I'd figured From jumped the shark. Every patch/dlc I'm imagining some guy in From saying "Look I know you think the game is ok but reddit is saying..." and that terrifies me.

Eh, I don't agree. Most of the game isn't harder than DS1. I've only played Scholar but I've never really understood the take that DS2 is some gently caress you overtuned bullshit.

And considering Fromsofts track record I don't really see the need to pre-emptively piss ourselves over what loving Reddit thinks. (said one reddit account owner to 20 others)

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 16, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Brandfarlig posted:

Eh, I don't agree. Most of the game isn't harder than DS1. I've only played Scholar but I've never really understood the take that DS2 is some gently caress you overtuned bullshit.

Most of the complaints boil down to "enemy gank squads" and "enemy placement gotchas" and stuff, and every complaint applies equally if not more so to 3. It's just minor annoyances magnified into memes over time by repetition.

The only areas that seem to be widely agreed to be "bad," even among the 2 likers, are Shrine of Amana and that first part of Iron Keep. And Shrine isn't even bad as long as you take your time and don't rush. But I'll still take those two areas over another lava lake full of dragon asses

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

DourCricket posted:

Dark Souls 2 has Majula Theme tho

Can we really be so hard on it?

The crazy thing for me is being such a big Souls fan and caring so much about vg music and yet almost none of the music in these games sticks with me or I'm able to conjure off the top of my head? Theres the DS3 menu them and then....? I guess I can remember the Majula theme but who knows maybe thats the DS1 shrine I'm thinking of.

Also DS3 starting area lizard is eZEE

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oh yeah Majula is hands down the best hub. What was the Elden Ring hub like? Or was there even a hub in the network test?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

codo27 posted:

The crazy thing for me is being such a big Souls fan and caring so much about vg music and yet almost none of the music in these games sticks with me or I'm able to conjure off the top of my head? Theres the DS3 menu them and then....? I guess I can remember the Majula theme but who knows maybe thats the DS1 shrine I'm thinking of.

Also DS3 starting area lizard is eZEE

Gwyn's theme??????

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DS2's soundtrack is so unmemorable it might as well not have one.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Ludwig's theme is one of my personal faves

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Memorable Fromsoft music:

All of OG Demon's Souls (especially Tower Knight and Nexus)

All of Bloodborne

I listen to a lot of VG music and I don't think about Dark Souls music often

edit: Majula has a nice theme

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Most of the complaints boil down to "enemy gank squads" and "enemy placement gotchas" and stuff, and every complaint applies equally if not more so to 3. It's just minor annoyances magnified into memes over time by repetition.

The only areas that seem to be widely agreed to be "bad," even among the 2 likers, are Shrine of Amana and that first part of Iron Keep. And Shrine isn't even bad as long as you take your time and don't rush. But I'll still take those two areas over another lava lake full of dragon asses

Neither Shrine or Iron Keep are that bad, imo. Yeah it sucks to fall of a ledge and have to re-do shrine but as you said with a bit of caution it's not that bad. Never go without some ranged attack.

Iron Keep hosed me up bad the first time I got there but the runback is 5 seconds and you get a good amount of souls and some great gear for killing the knights so :shrug:

The biggest problem I have with 2 is that I'd describe most of the game as fine and there's not much that stands out as really great.

Abyss watchers theme and the phase 2 cutscene is some of the coolest edgelord poo poo in souls.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 16, 2021

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Bloodborne has the best soundtrack of any From game.
This is yet another reason why it's the best From game. Period. End of sentence.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
See my experience coming to DS2 from DS1 is that it felt really pretty darn easy. After getting gud over the course of DS1, nothing in DS2 felt like it was asking anything crazy of me so I kinda just glided through having fun.

The idea that Dark Souls 2 is gently caress you super hard is baffling.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Three words:

Cleric Beast Theme

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Only the DLC of 2 had any real "wtf is this" energy to them. The snow field, that one gank npc "boss" fight, the two tigers, etc

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

See my experience coming to DS2 from DS1 is that it felt really pretty darn easy. After getting gud over the course of DS1, nothing in DS2 felt like it was asking anything crazy of me so I kinda just glided through having fun.

On a vanilla melee only quality build DS2 feel by far the hardest to me. The bosses are nearly all cakewalks but there's so many situations fighting multiple high poise enemies, or persistent snipers you can't fight without aggroing groups of enemies that aren't nearly so present to the same degree in either of the other DSs or Bloodborne. Like in any other game you'd at least be able to CC archdrake knights with R1s in Amana rather have to deal with inhuman walls of poise whilslt the sniper mage keeps shooting lasers at you

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

It's something that souls fans frequently forget. Your first game is always going to be the hardest because the "language" transfers between games. You learn to recognize situations and your fundamentals have hours of practice at that point. I don't expect that I'll find much of Elden Ring particularly hard but that's because I have over 1000 hours total between DeS, DS1-3 and BB. I've seen most of Fromsofts tricks.

I was watching someone fighting the knight miniboss who crawls on all fours and moves a bit like Artorias. I was instantly going "do the flip" do the flip!" and then he did the Artorias flip and slam. Their designs are fairly consistent.

It's the same reason why the Lothric knights have the anti-strafing shield slap. It's partially to surprise people who know the series well.

multijoe posted:

On a vanilla melee only quality build DS2 feel by far the hardest to me. The bosses are nearly all cakewalks but there's so many situations fighting multiple high poise enemies, or persistent snipers you can't fight without aggroing groups of enemies that aren't nearly so present to the same degree in either of the other DSs or Bloodborne. Like in any other game you'd at least be able to CC archdrake knights with R1s in Amana rather have to deal with inhuman walls of poise whilslt the sniper mage keeps shooting lasers at you

Sure, but I'm not certain why you would do melee only outside of a challenge run. Quality has great ranged options.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 16, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DS2 just feels jank. Maybe tainted by plowing through DS1 remastered and DS3 which are more modern. DS2 just looks ands sounds so bad. Not even talking about the music which is fine. Majula theme though isn't as soothing as Firelink which reminded me of Diablo 2's Tristram.

Once you get used to the jank it's fine though - Scholar does make the game a little simpler too.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I had the same experience, and then another one when I jumped into 3. I think it's just a natural consequence of getting gud and that's why BB was noticably more difficult, as was Sekiro. Because the consumer base is getting gud so they make harder games to get guder.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Sekiro I don't think is actually that hard even so much as it is contrary to most of what other souls games teach you and is therefore extremely perplexing for vets

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Impermanent posted:

Sekiro I don't think is actually that hard even so much as it is contrary to most of what other souls games teach you and is therefore extremely perplexing for vets

That but also it doesn't have play style flexibility or co-op, which makes bosses harder. If you're stuck on a boss you can't try a different approach or summon help, you can only git gudder.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Colonel Whitey posted:

Nah, DS2 is better than 1&3

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I quit Sekiro after 10 hours because I didn't find fighting anything fun. I'm not going to call it a bad game but it's so different from the other 5 games that I hope they don't go back to the rhythm-parrying game. I have neither the patience or the reflexes.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
DS2 isn't hard it's just that apart from controlling like molasses and being bloated with uninteresting content the combat design is exceptionally tedious and one note so most people lose patience and start cutting corners. poo poo like sotfs iron keep where you cross an arbitrary line and every alonne knight in an 80 foot radius goes apeshit and homing missile suicide rushes you or that one comedy door in the bastille with the royal knights.

I've also always found the complaints of ds3's linearity in the context of desperately propping up ds2 to be fairly laughable too since one ds3 level is worth like 3 or 4 average ds2 ones in size and quality. Black gulch and aldia's mansion are almost quite literally just hallways and many of the "wider" areas are only marginally better in scope and design

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Impermanent posted:

You really feel the lack of healing in the early game, once you have a good number of chugs and deathblow rally the game really smoothes out up until the endgame

Brandfarlig posted:

Sure, but I'm not certain why you would do melee only outside of a challenge run. Quality has great ranged options.

Because ranged gameplay sucks in all the DS games and the others had the sense not to throw you into situations where its basically mandatory!!

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Brandfarlig posted:

I quit Sekiro after 10 hours because I didn't find fighting anything fun. I'm not going to call it a bad game but it's so different from the other 5 games that I hope they don't go back to the rhythm-parrying game. I have neither the patience or the reflexes.

Its creeped into my top 3 games ALL TIME. I just beat it for the 8th time to finally get the Plat. Its SO good

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

multijoe posted:

You really feel the lack of healing in the early game, once you have a good number of chugs and deathblow rally the game really smoothes out up until the endgame

Because ranged gameplay sucks in all the DS games and the others had the sense not to throw you into situations where its basically mandatory!!

If you intentionally avoid tools the game gives you getting shot in the face is what you get. A bow is about as mandatory in Shrine of Amana as it is against the firebomb throwing hollows in the burg.

bows1 posted:

Its creeped into my top 3 games ALL TIME. I just beat it for the 8th time to finally get the Plat. Its SO good

And this is why I'd never call it a bad game. It's just not for me.

Same with Nioh 2, I don't have the patience for a single player fighting game and I prefer the simplicity of souls games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I really wonder how people play these games when stuff like the clowncar door can be easily handled by: using the explosives right next to the door or backing up to the narrow hallway about one inch away from the door you just came in by to force them into single file where they can be take out with little to no trouble if you've been remotely keeping up on upgrading your weapon (there is even a blacksmith thirty feet away from this room). Do people just insist on standing in one place and fight everything at once?