Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I thought it was supposed to make your balls bigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Can’t find any other explanation for why a guy who is winning 65% of his games for the previous four years has only won 70% of this games this year.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
This is so dope

https://twitter.com/avstudios/status/1460425340770308096?t=bmmsi5e9i88ymk_3l6scdg&s=19

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Apparently smoke around Lincoln Riley to LSU?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Hed posted:

Apparently smoke around Lincoln Riley to LSU?

looool that would own

Not for us, but for someone. Max chaos.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

General Dog posted:

How much time have you spent in Waco

I've seen virtually every episode of Fixer Upper... does that count?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

There are zero reasons why he would leave. It would be funny if he did, but it makes no sense.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bird in a Blender posted:

There are zero reasons why he would leave. It would be funny if he did, but it makes no sense.

Out of curiosity I tried to find whether he had any ties to LSU or Louisiana in general and nothing as far as I can tell. Grew up in west Texas, went to Texas Tech, and Tech and OU are his coaching career aside from a brief stint at East Carolina (hey remember when they were frightening and you wondered why people played them? Last time it happened was during this time).

I'm sure he'd be fine there if he wanted to go, but outside of internal strife at OU or if LSU has pockets way deeper than OU, like way waaaaay deeper I don't understand the rumor.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

https://twitter.com/UnnecRoughness/status/1460661009690112004?t=nkQgD8BZr6nj-n2535Hm_g&s=19

It's probably horseshit but who knows what is going on behind closed doors in Norman

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

It would seem that way, but that's kind of what most people would've said about Jimbo. He doesn't have any deep ties to OU, and everybody has a price- if they come at him with $12 mil/year for 10 years, who knows? (Although Riley's relationship with OU is almost certainly better than Jimbo's with FSU when he left)

Assume you're Woodward and looking to make the splashiest, most sure-thing hire possible- you have to assume Saban, Dabo, and Ryan Day are pretty much untouchable, Jimbo is gettable but ~$10.5 million+ per year is a tough value proposition. Gotta think Riley is the next one you call and gauge his temperature. Maybe he says he's happy where he is and that's the end of it, maybe he just gets a raise out of it and stays. Who knows?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 16, 2021

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Senior day honorees announced for Ohio State, no huge surprises with Nick Petit-Frere and Cam Brown essentially being the only 4th year guys where people were questioning if they stay/go to the draft. Petit-Frere probably should be a day 1/2 guy with as good as he's been at LT this year, but Brown's odd considering he's been really dinged up all year and is CB2/3 on the chart behind Burke and can't be getting that much draft smoke.

Master Teague is out there despite barely playing this year--hope he grad transfers somewhere and gets some reps because he's a good kid who unfortunately was tailored for the Urban-era run game.

Jesus the season is really this far gone.

How would you guys rank the openings right now? I'm thinking it goes like this for a theoretical neutral candidate:

LSU
USC
Washington
VT
TCU
Wazzu
FIU
Akron
Umass

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Chucktesla posted:

https://twitter.com/UnnecRoughness/status/1460661009690112004?t=nkQgD8BZr6nj-n2535Hm_g&s=19

It's probably horseshit but who knows what is going on behind closed doors in Norman

This makes no sense unless he wants easier access to some defensive recruits

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

General Dog posted:

How much time have you spent in Waco

Plenty. Blacksburg is a way nicer place.

TheGreyGhost posted:

How would you guys rank the openings right now? I'm thinking it goes like this for a theoretical neutral candidate:

LSU
USC
Washington
VT
TCU
Wazzu
FIU
Akron
Umass

I think you could argue VT over Washington if only because we are not on the west coast burdened with those awful kick times and broadcast partners. Certainly in a better spot for recruiting in terms of available talent nearby, but Seattle is a selling point and I bet the facilities are a wash between the two. Otherwise that looks about right in terms of prestige.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 16, 2021

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

The Notorious ZSB posted:

My time in Blacksburg was limited to 2 overnight stays on the way from/to CT, but I would rate it higher than Waco as well. But it's also a much smaller town and seems to exist almost wholly to service the university, while Waco is its own thing that happens to host Baylor. Maybe it shouldn't be its own thing, but it is.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Alright fair enough. Never been to Blacksburg, but what I've seen of that part of Virginia is very nice. I do think Waco is a totally pleasant place to live as well, though, speaking as a white male Evangelical.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

He also wouldn't be the only coach in Oklahoma to flirt with an SEC school to get paid more money so

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

I think you could argue VT over Washington if only because we are not on the west coast burdened with those awful kick times and broadcast partners. Certainly in a better spot for recruiting in terms of available talent nearby, but Seattle is a selling point and I bet the facilities are a wash between the two. Otherwise that looks about right in terms of prestige.

Waco is like every other thing in Texas. There exists better versions outside of Texas, but Texans will hear none of it.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

As much as I hate VT they are in a pretty nice recruiting area.

It comes down whether USC remains a tire fire I guess. If you're at UW and you can recruit LA then it's easily a better job, especially with a strong PSU and ascendant (maybe? ascending to what?) Maryland program. If USC rights the ship though you're in a very crowded place. It's a tough job and it gets tougher if the donor base and admin are still convinced they're west coast Florida, able to compete in everything and have a strong* academic program.

God willing VT will hire someone even worse than Fu and I will be able to be happy on Saturdays as the Mountaineers lose 30-3 to Oklahoma State in a driving Morgantown wind.

*: as to regional standards

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Chucktesla posted:

He also wouldn't be the only coach in Oklahoma to flirt with an SEC school to get paid more money so

BOB STOOPS TO UF IS A DONE DEAL

On every UF message board every few years since 2002.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Chucktesla posted:

Riley->LSU
Fuente->OU
Orgeron->Alabama
Saban->VT

Everyone's happy :v:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

It's so bizarre how much bullshit there's been the last 20 years regarding the OU head coach leaving for lateral/inferior programs when OU has had among the most coaching stability of any program in said time

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Or simply LSU is writing a huge check and Oklahoma doesn’t want to match

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

General Dog posted:

Alright fair enough. Never been to Blacksburg, but what I've seen of that part of Virginia is very nice. I do think Waco is a totally pleasant place to live as well, though, speaking as a white male Evangelical.

Yeah Waco is fine if you've got a bit of money or land. Blacksburg, as mentioned above, exists as a symbiont on the university and is much smaller in practical terms as well as population.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Jose Valasquez posted:

Riley->LSU
Fuente->OU
Orgeron->Alabama
Saban->VT

Everyone's happy :v:

Y'know what, I wonder: could even Nick Saban win a title at VT?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

mdemone posted:

I’d think so- hell, Frank Beamer almost won one

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

General Dog posted:

I’d think so- hell, Frank Beamer almost won one

I'm gonna go ahead and stop you right there because Beamer had about as much to do with that run as I did.

Michael Vick ain't walking through that door, as it were.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

mdemone posted:

I don't think so, but that's more about Saban being 70 than anything against VT. Saban ten years ago I have no doubt.

Then again I think he's already the oldest coach to win a national championship so who knows.

e. Maybe Riley figures if he's going to the SEC anyway he's in a better position to win at LSU then OU?

Spacemonkey57 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 16, 2021

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

It would be one way to get that SEC head coach buyout money early

downout
Jul 6, 2009

TheGreyGhost posted:

Senior day honorees announced for Ohio State, no huge surprises with Nick Petit-Frere and Cam Brown essentially being the only 4th year guys where people were questioning if they stay/go to the draft. Petit-Frere probably should be a day 1/2 guy with as good as he's been at LT this year, but Brown's odd considering he's been really dinged up all year and is CB2/3 on the chart behind Burke and can't be getting that much draft smoke.

Master Teague is out there despite barely playing this year--hope he grad transfers somewhere and gets some reps because he's a good kid who unfortunately was tailored for the Urban-era run game.

Jesus the season is really this far gone.

LSU
USC
Washington
VT
TCU
Wazzu
FIU
Akron
Umass

USC has to be the best opening. They let Clay Helton absolutely linger there for years with almost nothing to show for it. They've got the access to recruits, the name, the facilities, and clearly minimal pressure relative to, say, LSU.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The only reason I wouldn’t put USC #1 is that they’re private and the particular bullshit around USC and that job seems insane, as insane as the stuff surrounding LSU. Maybe more insane honestly.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

There's enough talent laying around the Mid Atlantic that Penn State has been cobbling 9 and 10 win seasons out of it for a century now. Saban could readily win a title at VT, UVA, UMD, PSU, Pitt, or Temple by gobbling up everything in the region, which probably would not be a challenge.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

USC is an LSU style trash fire but no one thinks of them like that because they aren't in the SEC, but also LSU hasn't been out recruited I'm their own backyard like USC has under Helton so they are at least the most interesting opening imo

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

mdemone posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and stop you right there because Beamer had about as much to do with that run as I did.

Beamer won 10+ games at VT for 7 years in a row. If Beamer could do that gotta think Saban could at least come close to closing that gap

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ship helmets are dope.

Navy's best helmets were that year where each position group had a different class of ship painted on the sides.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

We're almost to a point where the burden of proof is back on USC to prove it's a nationally elite program. Since 1982, they've basically had one 7-season run under one coach where they fit that billing. This year's recruiting class were toddlers in 2005.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mdemone posted:

He might be if Saban is doing the recruiting.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/Jon_Blau/status/1460665736502861832?s=20

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I certainly didn't see Sark as being an upgrade over Herman and I feared it was a big misstep, but I didn't really imagine things might get this bad this fast. And it's gotten so much worse so consistently over the course of the season. It's the exact opposite of what you'd want to see from a first year coach with a subpar record, you can accept that when over the course of the season you see the team jelling more and settling into a new identity under a new coach or whatever. Here the play has generally gone from mediocre to flaming toxic waste, the locker room is blatantly falling apart with at least one starter entering the portal mid-season, at least one coach is on tape screaming at the players to transfer, and even the players who haven't formally quit the team have clearly given up on each other and the coaches. These guys literally shouldn't even need coaching to be able to beat Kansas' third string QB and walk-on receivers for gently caress's sake. They should be able to come up with rudimentary plays in the huddle playground-style and win that game.

I don't think this program was in a place where it should have needed to be torn down to the foundation and rebuilt, and I don't think that's what Sark came in trying to do, but that's the task he seems to be creating for himself. And at this rate there is no chance in hell that he's going to have a job long enough to pull off a 4-year total rebuild type of deal. So I guess we just hope he gets some recruits that the next guy can use out and wait for the clock to run out on his tenure?

But thank goodness we no longer have to worry about the coach siding with the players over the loving choo-choo song. gently caress me, our boosters deserve every bit of this and no lessons will be learned.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I would guess Eyes of Texas was a complete non-issue in regards to the coaching search, if it makes you feel any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

General Dog posted:

I would guess Eyes of Texas was a complete non-issue in regards to the coaching search, if it makes you feel any better.

But I think it was a factor in the decision to fire Herman, which has an awful lot to do with how we ended up in this mess. I'm sure you're right that we didn't lose out on any potential better coaching hires by making it clear that supporting the Eyes was a condition of the job.