Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Iron Crowned posted:

Does anyone have the feeling that were on the precipice of an apocalyptic winter surge?

IMHE's current projections of daily deaths in the US under two scenarios

I'm not sure we will see the R0 double in the next month, but yeah, it definitely feels like a wave is coming and we will be closer to the red line than the purple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Regarding vaccine approvals for under 5 year olds, Pfizer's most recent statements still suggest plans to submit data to the FDA before the end of this year (this isn't really new news):

quote:

We won’t have COVID vaccines for kids under 5 until 2022, according to Pfizer
BY
BRETT HAENSEL
November 12, 2021 2:45 PM EST

After Pfizer and BioNTech received full regulatory approval for emergency use of their latest COVID-19 vaccine earlier this month, only one age group remains without access to protection from the virus: children under the age of 5.

That could change by the first half of 2022, according to a chart highlighting upcoming company milestones that was included in Pfizer’s third-quarter earnings presentation in early November. Within the chart, which is on slide 29 of the presentation, Pfizer identifies target dates for "key approvals" (regulatory approval of drugs in the pipeline) and "key pivotal readouts" (results from ongoing drug trials).

According to that chart, Pfizer is targeting the fourth quarter of 2021 for the initial data readout regarding its COVID-19 vaccine for children between ages 2 and 5. Furthermore, the company aims to be presenting early data on its COVID-19 vaccine for kids between 6 months and 2 years of age in the first half of 2022.

Assuming Pfizer is able to meet those self-imposed deadlines, the company would hope to secure regulatory approval in the first half of 2022 for the vaccine for 2- to 5-year-olds and in the second half of 2022 for the vaccine for those between 6 months and 2 years. That would make roughly 25 million more children eligible for a COVID-19 vaccine by the second half of next year, according to childstats.gov, which keeps track of child population numbers in the U.S.
One thing to consider is that the US is almost certainly going to be in the middle of another doom wave by the end of 2021, with cases and hospitalizations already ticking up again. While the FDA ostensibly doesn't consider the epidemiological and political context when making decisions, at the very least one hopes they won't be dragging their feet unnecessarily. Especially as based on the 5-11 year old data the adverse effect rate is lower than what was observed in adolescents, it doesn't seem like younger children are more at risk from the vaccine.

The counter-point to all this is it looks like demand for pediatric vaccines is anemic, only weirdoes like the ones itt want them for their kids. Their doesn't seem to be much political pressure to get them out ASAP, in fact maybe the opposite.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

silicone thrills posted:

You all may remember a month ago when I was bitching about my companies marketing event where everyone got together and one guy had covid triggering a super spreader panic.

Well meet event 2 this week where our customer service team flies in from all over the country to have a "offsite" (aka hanging out in a small space looking at our ipad app for 2 days)

I cant stop laughing. these loving morons never learn.

:lmao:

I've said it a million times in the last 3 weeks, my company ended WFH a whole week after someone ended up spending a week in the hospital on oxygen returned to work. Since he showed up to work that day with what he thought was a head cold and went home early, it could have been a lot worse.

Mask wearing appears to have become optional again, with several placards quietly disappearing again, and the usual people flaunting it that they're apparently above masks.

Numbers are rising again and the counties are turning red again, which is the only metric the GM goes by, but considering it's only been 3 weeks, I don't think we'll be going back to WFH any time soon.

In short, no one learned anything, and it's only a matter of time before there is an actual outbreak that really fucks poo poo up.

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

fosborb posted:

I'm not sure we will see the R0 double in the next month, but yeah, it definitely feels like a wave is coming and we will be closer to the red line than the purple

Half of everyone I see outside when walking my dog are walking in large groups, maskless.

The red line is reality, the purple is denial.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Joementum posted:

might be a good idea to go with turkey over roast beef for the holidays anyway

https://www.drovers.com/news/industry/brazil-rejects-bse-risk-ncba-asks-vilsack-stop-imports-us

Maybe give turkey a miss as well

https://twitter.com/CoAdlhoch/status/1460564307897466887
https://twitter.com/DohaRoots/status/1460622191163166720
https://twitter.com/infobeautiful/status/1460639593603211270
etc etc etc: https://twitter.com/search?q=%23birdflu&f=live

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Nocturtle posted:

One thing to consider is that the US is almost certainly going to be in the middle of another doom wave by the end of 2021, with cases and hospitalizations already ticking up again. While the FDA ostensibly doesn't consider the epidemiological and political context when making decisions, at the very least one hopes they won't be dragging their feet unnecessarily. Especially as based on the 5-11 year old data the adverse effect rate is lower than what was observed in adolescents, it doesn't seem like younger children are more at risk from the vaccine.

another bonus of the doom wave: studies get their ns faster and therefore complete their trials faster

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Vinja Ninja posted:

Half of everyone I see outside when walking my dog are walking in large groups, maskless.

The red line is reality, the purple is denial.

The only people I see wearing masks outside are taking them off the instant they step outside of the grocery store.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Iron Crowned posted:

:lmao:

I've said it a million times in the last 3 weeks, my company ended WFH a whole week after someone ended up spending a week in the hospital on oxygen returned to work. Since he showed up to work that day with what he thought was a head cold and went home early, it could have been a lot worse.

Mask wearing appears to have become optional again, with several placards quietly disappearing again, and the usual people flaunting it that they're apparently above masks.

Numbers are rising again and the counties are turning red again, which is the only metric the GM goes by, but considering it's only been 3 weeks, I don't think we'll be going back to WFH any time soon.

In short, no one learned anything, and it's only a matter of time before there is an actual outbreak that really fucks poo poo up.

Losing oral traditions as a species was truly our downfall. We now all have such short memories for everything.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

silicone thrills posted:

You all may remember a month ago when I was bitching about my companies marketing event where everyone got together and one guy had covid triggering a super spreader panic.

Well meet event 2 this week where our customer service team flies in from all over the country to have a "offsite" (aka hanging out in a small space looking at our ipad app for 2 days)

I was wearing an aura in office all day and people kept walking out of offices, seeing me, then running back into their office to get their mask on.

Every so often i'd walk back from like running around to people in my area sitting together - 3-4 people at a time with no mask on talking real close, whispering.

lol. lmao. haha. god

I EVEN HEARD THE CMO TALKING ABOUT HER FAMILY MEMBER WITH COVID

I'm sure we'll never see one (because COVID is over), but I'd love for somebody to do a study about how long it takes for an entire company to get COVID brain fog.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

silicone thrills posted:

Losing oral traditions as a species was truly our downfall. We now all have such short memories for everything.

https://twitter.com/AnthroOmri/status/1459623380030824452?t=s3zKpHiRuF0ON1Bz8brp_g&s=19

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I'm in the office and am currently listening to the person in the next office talk loudly on the phone about how they want a prescription for ivermectin. This is in a blue city, in a blue state. :rubby:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

silicone thrills posted:

Losing oral traditions as a species was truly our downfall.

Nah that was a blessing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvwbKfS44Fo

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Kreeblah posted:

I'm sure we'll never see one (because COVID is over), but I'd love for somebody to do a study about how long it takes for an entire company to get COVID brain fog.

I currently know of at least 2 people at my 70 person company who have long covid. One of who was from NC - who is on site this week - who wasnt wearing a mask. I assume because she thinks she can't catch it again.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Salt Fish posted:

Surge of what?

edit: holy dang that picture is bigger than i expected it to be

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
The teacher in this room is not vaccinated. That doesn't seem safe to me.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

Does anyone have the feeling that were on the precipice of an apocalyptic winter surge?

My county’s data has a clear inflection point on the weekend of Halloween where we started increasing after being stable for a month (at way to high of a level to be happy about being stable at). So the only real question is just how high we’ll get and how hospitalizations and deaths track against cases with such low booster uptake.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

On a call today and someone said, "McCracAttack can you turn on your webcam so we can see your smiling face?" I turn it on and they see I'm still wearing a mask at my desk. "Okay... well then."

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

On a call today and someone said, "McCracAttack can you turn on your webcam so we can see your smiling face?" I turn it on and they see I'm still wearing a mask at my desk. "Okay... well then."

you real name is mccracattack? thats cool as gently caress.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Gio posted:

you real name is mccracattack? thats cool as gently caress.

No I just loudly and repeatedly insist that people call me that at work.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thoguh posted:

My county’s data has a clear inflection point on the weekend of Halloween where we started increasing after being stable for a month (at way to high of a level to be happy about being stable at). So the only real question is just how high we’ll get and how hospitalizations and deaths track against cases with such low booster uptake.

I love how the local news was framing travel tips with "now that the majority of people are vaccinated" this morning. Because COVID wasn't a fast acting Captain Tripps, everyone gave up and this has created an environment that is perfect for a very bad time. No one will care when we hit 2,000,000 by summer

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

McCracAttack posted:

they take it super seriously at my job. i got a stern lecture both times i didnt have it on and was treated like i was hiding something.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

McCracAttack posted:

sounds like someone had the case of the Mondays :twisted:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Korean Boomhauer posted:

they take it super seriously at my job. i got a stern lecture both times i didnt have it on and was treated like i was hiding something.

we have video off by default in my dept. there are portraits when video is off; that's just as effective in generating a natural sense of a room full of people as a grid of lovely, small videos that I'm not looking at anyway because I'm either looking at the materials being presented, or talking toward the camera. being on video all day is exhausting; I have no idea why people insist on it outside of another weird little power trip

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Korean Boomhauer posted:

For a second I thought you were talking about masking.

I have my camera on for 1-on-1's otherwise that would be pretty weird. Every team anything I leave it off though. Nobody cares and I rarely am talking.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtv05_oMojU
holy loving poo poo lmao

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i work for a huge automotive OEM and thankfully we never use webcams except for either super high level meetings or friendlier meetings, and its not mandatory

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

thanks for the turkey tips, folks! I know that they have a reputation for being blah but it's something I genuinely want to try just for the hell of it - if I'm gonna be spending Christmas at home, might as well make it fancy, hey?

I always found turkey to be bland and dry until I started cooking them myself for family Thanksgiving. I do a 2 day drine with a mixture of salt, sugar, garlic, onion, rosemary, bay leaves, and some orange zest.

Before roasting the cavity gets stuffed with an onion and slices of a citrus, and it gets melted butter rubbed under the skin (make a couple small slices near the tail large enough for your hands, then just butter them up and slowly spread it around directly between the skin and muscle).

Roasting it in an oven bag to trap the moisture is a decent idea but roasting in a pan with basting is also just fine.

Afterwards, keep the bones, juices, and such for soup stock, it goes well with egg noodles.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

McCracAttack posted:

Also, consider not going. Funerals aren't for the dead, they're for the folks left behind. If you won't get anything but grief and stress out of going then don't. I understand your family situation has probably already made that call for you though.

I asked my family if we're having a service for my grandmother and the answer seemed to be no. Her grave will be a block away from where I live so I can go visit whenever I want.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

I was wearing an aura in office all day and people kept walking out of offices, seeing me, then running back into their office to get their mask on.

Every so often i'd walk back from like running around to people in my area sitting together - 3-4 people at a time with no mask on talking real close, whispering.

lol. lmao. haha. god

I EVEN HEARD THE CMO TALKING ABOUT HER FAMILY MEMBER WITH COVID
whatever else they say about you, your presence is a boon to public health

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
and this is why poo poo is going to get wild this winter

https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1460622017993007106?t=uLUTUcBDDeWBSnjEKOIxVw&s=19

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Boosted w 50mcg moderna. Gives me weird brain feelings. Anyone else get weird sinus head pressure w the mRNA? Flu shot was nothing, but my body gets cranky with mRNA, though so far nothing as bad as the first time.

E: rite aid, no questions

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

thanks for the turkey tips, folks! I know that they have a reputation for being blah but it's something I genuinely want to try just for the hell of it - if I'm gonna be spending Christmas at home, might as well make it fancy, hey?

i’ve used this recipe in the beforetimes and it works out pretty well. takes a day or so to prepare beforehand if you dry-brine, which was impractical if cooking somewhere else, so i usually just salted it a bit on the same day

https://www.seriouseats.com/butterfiled-roast-turkey-with-gravy-recipe

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Just the bird flu, bro

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Fireside Nut posted:

Interesting. I'm at a Midwest hospital system and we've only seen a few cases this year and haven't had any inpatient admissions.

I wonder if this influenza wave is going to hit us soon. We are currently dealing with another massive upswing in our Covid numbers so adding a flu wave should push us close to collapse :lmao:

I've been following the Flu on my HHS data graphics - and every day there are 550-600 people hospitalized and 50-75 in the ICU with the flu.

Unless the state are lying to HHS which they would never ever do, right?

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Joementum posted:

might be a good idea to go with turkey over roast beef for the holidays anyway

https://www.drovers.com/news/industry/brazil-rejects-bse-risk-ncba-asks-vilsack-stop-imports-us

That's what killed my husband's mother. Hearing descriptions of her succumbing over a year is nightmarish

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Strep Vote posted:

Boosted w 50mcg moderna. Gives me weird brain feelings. Anyone else get weird sinus head pressure w the mRNA? Flu shot was nothing, but my body gets cranky with mRNA, though so far nothing as bad as the first time.

E: rite aid, no questions

yeah, exactly the same here - boosted with moderna last Friday, had weird sinus pain and headaches since, sinus pain seems to have subsided but head still hurts.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

corona familiar posted:

i’ve used this recipe in the beforetimes and it works out pretty well. takes a day or so to prepare beforehand if you dry-brine, which was impractical if cooking somewhere else, so i usually just salted it a bit on the same day

https://www.seriouseats.com/butterfiled-roast-turkey-with-gravy-recipe

gently caress you! I was trying to avoid a full turkey this year

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Why bother with eating meat when there is beans?

Beans is the God tier of food

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

SKULL.GIF posted:

Why am I suddenly seeing smallpox chatter on multiple social platforms? Did something happen?

IIRC I read some article earlier this month about Bill Gates saying we need to play smallpox war games or something

fake e: this one

https://news.yahoo.com/bill-gates-warns-smallpox-terror-000100099.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

NeonPunk posted:

Why bother with eating meat when there is beans?

Beans is the God tier of food

Was pretty hilarious when CNN started posting How to Beans and All About Beans articles.