Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Elviscat posted:

Oh hey, check out this cool racist poo poo our command's doing; we just got a new sailor, who's black, with dyed blonde hair, they're making him dye it back to dark brown/black.

Very cool normal organization.

I thought I remembered the navy putting out guidance explicitly that no you cannot force black people to only have dark hair.

Lol at any rule being followed by officers or chiefs to benefit junior sailors but like that’s a clear cut and dry EO issue.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Over two deployments, we averaged about 30 with a max of 54.

As far as deployment length, mine were both 8.5. The deployment before I got there and after I left were both almost 11.

Just makes me more and more glad I left.

Seriously if you know where to look and who to ask veteran benefits are insane. I’m getting a free semester of what is effectively gi bill called Vet Tec for a coding boot camp right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

McNally posted:

The grass has been spray painted green and is now highly flammable.

The grass is not fire resistant and when exposed to flame will burn robustly until completely consumed.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Elviscat posted:

Oh hey, check out this cool racist poo poo our command's doing; we just got a new sailor, who's black, with dyed blonde hair, they're making him dye it back to dark brown/black.

Very cool normal organization.

Unfortunately this one is partly on big navy regulations, which say hair coloring must look "natural". Is blonde hair on a black guy okay because humans, in general, can have blonde hair? Who knows, it's not really specified! But it's just one of the many ways in which grooming regs have historically been stacked against people of color.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Unfortunately this one is partly on big navy regulations, which say hair coloring must look "natural". Is blonde hair on a black guy okay because humans, in general, can have blonde hair? Who knows, it's not really specified! But it's just one of the many ways in which grooming regs have historically been stacked against people of color.

Men dying their hair are generally in a rough spot, except perhaps for touching up some grey. With 2 inches or less in bulk, you can probably see the roots and if you haven't dyed your hair within the last week, it probably doesn't look 'natural'. But in a world with Marines with tattoos, who gives a poo poo?

Could submit an anonymous CMEO complaint so something goes on paper. The Commander will get to decide whether it warrants in investigation since it's anonymous and may only result in some Ensign having to do an investigation, but at least there's a signal.

Sneaking a NAVPERS 5354/2 into the CO'S suggestion box should do the trick; if the CO takes anonymous suggestions via some sort or website, try to follow the blocks of the form--a CMEO, even an honest true believer who is happy to make the report, has to try to interpret it since they can't clarify. The closer it is to the form, the less interpretation they can/will have to do.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I don't know if it's a morale thing or a dirtbag command thing, but mustache regs are non-existant on my ship right now,, as long as you shave the rest of your face.

Which I didn't.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Nms that please

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Hate only makes blonde mustaches stronger.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I don't know if it's a morale thing or a dirtbag command thing, but mustache regs are non-existant on my ship right now,, as long as you shave the rest of your face.

Which I didn't.

Welp I found what I’m disassembling on my next watch.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

FrozenVent posted:

Welp I found what I’m disassembling on my next watch.

:golfclap:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
STACHECEPTION

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Lmao

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

This will never not be funny.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
It is so convenient that all these massage parlors stay open til 2am, what a business model.

In other news, Mrs. Bad Guy immediately pissed herself laughing when I finally got on the hotel wifi and was able to video chat. No accounting for taste, I guess.

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 13, 2021

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

It is so convenient that all these massage parlors stay open til 2am, what a business model.

In other news, Mrs. Bad Guy immediately pissed herself laughing when I finally got on the hotel wifi and was able to video chat. No accounting for taste, I guess.

I mean, she did marry you.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Thank God for daddy issues!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Thank God for daddy issues!

I bet you thought telling her “who’s your daddy” was a rhetorical question.

You monster.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I think I am where you am right now, based on the tour buses and late night massage parlors.

Your mustache is amazing.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Bowling Alley carpet remembers every shape and every scent of sweat, vomit, or other bodily fluid it soaks up, whether it's on the floor, or used as upholstery for liberty bus seats.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
Heinous

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Holy shot I almost failed my PRT run. It’s raining pretty bad up here so I decided to do the inside treadmill for the first time. The fancy machine in here has a navy prt setting where you punch in your desired goal and it calculates a speed for you with a mile and a half preset. I punched in a goal of 14:00 and it started me off at a decent pace. After 5 minutes I looked down and I hadn’t even done .4 of a mile. I freaked out and ramped up the speed and almost killed my self to get a 15:29 mile and half.

I have literally ran a prt in the rain with a knee injury walked a lap and got a much better time.

I recalculated the the goal speed after and it adjusted the speed up so I’m guessing the odometer is just hosed up.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Ive reschedded the rest of my drills and will never set foot in a NOSC again, Inshallah.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PneumonicBook posted:

Ive reschedded the rest of my drills and will never set foot in a NOSC again, Inshallah.

lol. You say that.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Crab Dad posted:

Holy shot I almost failed my PRT run. It’s raining pretty bad up here so I decided to do the inside treadmill for the first time. The fancy machine in here has a navy prt setting where you punch in your desired goal and it calculates a speed for you with a mile and a half preset. I punched in a goal of 14:00 and it started me off at a decent pace. After 5 minutes I looked down and I hadn’t even done .4 of a mile. I freaked out and ramped up the speed and almost killed my self to get a 15:29 mile and half.

I have literally ran a prt in the rain with a knee injury walked a lap and got a much better time.

I recalculated the the goal speed after and it adjusted the speed up so I’m guessing the odometer is just hosed up.

I almost failed my pushups. On normal days, I knock out 40 as part of my Physical Therapy (following dual rotator cuff repairs). However, on PFA day, my right shoulder locked up solid and I barely eked out my minimum with basically one arm. It was already the make-up and the new NOSC CO "won't take bad day requests." It's the first PFA I've ever done after coming off of waivers for LOD for years because of these injuries. Oh well. Six PFAs left until retirement.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

One of my friends that’s still in is the CFL at a major shore command in Norfolk and said this cycle is more entertaining than any HBO binge could ever be

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://youtu.be/bJeTvSdijJI

lol at the first 60 seconds

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I didn't even run a PRT my last 18ish months in. I was at TAPS/GPS/get-out-of-the-navy class for my second to last one, and on deployment when the last one would have been. Then got out a few weeks before the next cycle started.

Technically I was supposed to get with an athletic coordinator to do mine individually when I got back from TAPS, but I said gently caress it because I knew I could take a single failure. But somehow nobody failed, including me I guess.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Elviscat posted:

I think I am where you am right now, based on the tour buses and late night massage parlors.

Your mustache is amazing.

Dusit Thani, tropical green, excessive sunlight, palm tree visible, 2am massage parlors...hrm...

Be sure to grab the wheel!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Surface ships get off-base liberty but we don't, life is cruel. At least Gab Gab is nice, and the sunsets are top notch.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

PneumonicBook posted:

Some days I think about dropping into the reserves, then I read the horror stories. If all I want out of the reserves is the healthcare, how much of a pain in the rear end is it?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Red Crown posted:

Some days I think about dropping into the reserves, then I read the horror stories. If all I want out of the reserves is the healthcare, how much of a pain in the rear end is it?

DID SOMEBODY SAY RESERVES?????

All this depends on your rate and mildly your rank. Let’s hear it.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Red Crown posted:

It all sucks but I can't answer any healthcare related questions since Im a Federal Employee and I'm not allowed to have Reserve Tricare, a thing I was not aware of before signing a 6 year contract :)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

It all sucks but I can't answer any healthcare related questions since Im a Federal Employee and I'm not allowed to have Reserve Tricare, a thing I was not aware of before signing a 6 year contract :)

Wrong!

It *mostly* sucks but certain rates have an easier time and never get mobilized.

Personally it’s worth it to me because I walk from assignment to assignment in wonderes delight and nothing truly bad ever happens to me. The worse issues I’ve had is with GTTC repaying in a timely manner.

Otherwise it’s just a different way for me to earn some extra money and and dirt cheap health insurance for my family.

However if you don’t have a family then lol don’t do it unless you really don’t mind a super watered down monthly navy experience but just the admin parts and none of the fun or memorable parts for better or worse.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Crab Dad posted:

Wrong!

It *mostly* sucks but certain rates have an easier time and never get mobilized.

Personally it’s worth it to me because I walk from assignment to assignment in wonderes delight and nothing truly bad ever happens to me. The worse issues I’ve had is with GTTC repaying in a timely manner.

Otherwise it’s just a different way for me to earn some extra money and and dirt cheap health insurance for my family.

However if you don’t have a family then lol don’t do it unless you really don’t mind a super watered down monthly navy experience but just the admin parts and none of the fun or memorable parts for better or worse.

The biggest thing that will impact you in the reserves is what unit you support and how often you get out there. If you're stuck at an RSU with a cross assigned unit that is terrible and especially if you end up becoming leadership there it is an endless parade of garbage being shovelled at you by completely inept leadership.

I've been in charge of our RSU's Admin department for the better part of the 6 years I've been in, which is probably the absolute worst thing you can do just because of the amount of paperwork you're constantly doing. The other first classes will generally do very little to help and leadership will argue with you about what the instruction says, and will disapprove your attempts to put in extra paid (or even unpaid!) drills to work on this crap when it's not the weekend.

From a rate perspective I was an FCA, in the Reserves I was attached to an LCS command that wouldn't let me help with their gear (despite my civilian job being loving LCS system installation) and then was attached to Naples, Italy at a ROC, which was honestly pretty chill, but was completely out of rate. When I looked at orders this go round there was absolutely nothing in rate. Additionally, more often than not my E7 quotas were zero. I guess I could have cross rated like my original plan was but the reserves spent 2 years spinning their wheels trying to let me be an IS or a CTN.

I have a lot of feelings about the reserves, almost all of them in the opposite direction of Crab Dad. Like I said before, I am his Mr Glass to his David Dunn.

YMMV

Edit: In my 6 years almost every prior active Sailor that has joined our NOSC has run for the hills, even the ones that didn;t have RSU responsibilities. The reserves are very very heavily command dependent, I think.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 16, 2021

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

PneumonicBook posted:

From a rate perspective I was an FCA, in the Reserves I was attached to an LCS command that wouldn't let me help with their gear (despite my civilian job being loving LCS system installation)

Interesting. I was an EMO on an LCS, and every time we'd get reservists, some 1st class or chief would drop them off and would say "hey, these guys are here to help, just let them know what you need." We would then ask them if they had quals, they either didn't or they said they had been qualified before, but they didn't have them with them. They would be there for two days, then leave, so we never had time to qualify them and we would just have them stand some UI watch and leave.

So don't go reserves, but if you do go reserves, get qualifications. Nobody will trust those qualifications (most surface ships have most people redo their quals when they get on board, so someone only on for a couple of days cannot be trusted because nobody trusts other ships' qualifications--it's not because you're a reservist), so figure out what you need to carry from ship to ship.

Reservists should either a: build a binder with both their qualifications and some (short) letters of recommendation from the other ships (preferably from work center supervisors and LCPOs) that they've worked for or b. come with a reservist mom/dad/LPO who can both meaningfully demonstrate/build qualifications and how to let reservists do maintenance without leaving paperwork issues that will get them eaten alive during a later inspection.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Yea I was there for 2 weeks and told them to run me through the pqs but instead the CSO just started losing his mind that I had infiltrated quarters that morning so I went and hosed off on base for two weeks instead. I was able to do some work on a different hull but it's because I saw the PE of the ship who knew who I was and asked me to give them a hand.

As far as your advice on quals, it's good advice if the reserves were run differently but with Sailors bouncing all over the goddamn place, sometimes not even able to get AT orders with their cross assigned units it will never happen.

I was able to get qualled at my ROC and they told me to never lose the pqs and I'd be good forever but ROC operations are obviously different than a surface ship.

Also for my 19th edit, regardless of my qual status, I could have stood behind any of their Sailors and helped them out, or just have given general training on C21 but that all seemed ludicrous to that particular CSO.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 17, 2021

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

PneumonicBook posted:

Yea I was there for 2 weeks and told them to run me through the pqs but instead the CSO just started losing his mind that I had infiltrated quarters that morning so I went and hosed off on base for two weeks instead. I was able to do some work on a different hull but it's because I saw the PE of the ship who knew who I was and asked me to give them a hand.

As far as your advice on quals, it's good advice if the reserves were run differently but with Sailors bouncing all over the goddamn place, sometimes not even able to get AT orders with their cross assigned units it will never happen.

I was able to get qualled at my ROC and they told me to never lose the pqs and I'd be good forever but ROC operations are obviously different than a surface ship.

Also for my 19th edit, regardless of my qual status, I could have stood behind any of their Sailors and helped them out, or just have given general training on C21 but that all seemed ludicrous to that particular CSO.

Yeah, I feel like I would need to be working with the ROC/NOSC ahead of time to make use of any reservists. Even standing behind Sailors is only really useful for unplanned maintenance. Looking ahead, I plan to interview any reservists coming on to try and figure out what their dayjobs are and how they could actually help but, in the past, I didn't have enough awareness to think that way. If I do work with reservists again, the plan is to quickly interrogate them about skills--both navy and dayjob related, indoc them, and try to get them from zero to useful, but I imagine that's easy to think about while I'm in an office right now--much harder when I have a bunch of other worries.

I wonder how a DH finds out they're getting support, and what that support is based on--do they get a heads up? Can they know anything about the incoming Sailors first? Is it based on departmental requests or funding convenience or mobilization need?

Edit: what's a cross assigned unit?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

piL posted:

Chaplain corps

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

piL posted:

Yeah, I feel like I would need to be working with the ROC/NOSC ahead of time to make use of any reservists. Even standing behind Sailors is only really useful for unplanned maintenance. Looking ahead, I plan to interview any reservists coming on to try and figure out what their dayjobs are and how they could actually help but, in the past, I didn't have enough awareness to think that way. If I do work with reservists again, the plan is to quickly interrogate them about skills--both navy and dayjob related, indoc them, and try to get them from zero to useful, but I imagine that's easy to think about while I'm in an office right now--much harder when I have a bunch of other worries.

I wonder how a DH finds out they're getting support, and what that support is based on--do they get a heads up? Can they know anything about the incoming Sailors first? Is it based on departmental requests or funding convenience or mobilization need?

Your cross assigned unit is the unit you actually support and go on your 2 weeks with.

I'd agree about standing behind people on say, a cruiser, but the LCS pipeline is loving awful and I've yet to meet a single Sailor of any rate that knows how to actually troubleshoot C21 in a logical way. It's not their fault, there's no c school or anything and when I'm working with FCs on newly delivered LCS I'm working with like gun guys and sea sparrow techs. The ETs/IT's are generally alright on the networking side but have little experience with an aegis like platform.

I don't mean to type paragraphs of bitching but at the time I had just got off of active duty and was legitimately excited about helping out the fleet as a reservist and the way I was treated throughout that experience made me pretty cynical wrt reserve activity.

As far as heads up, for LCS specifically that's all on LCSRON. They know exactly when they're getting reservists and could absolutely contact the waterfront hulls and start putting people in contact, they just don't.

If you as a command have funding you can request reservists but those are generally longer billets. Technically you could request them for like a 9 month deployment or whatever and that would count as their mob, there's lots of ways to get reservists out to a command.

In general though commands only get them for their 2 week at and if I'm an active duty lpo who just got some reservists I don't know anything about I'm going to have them paint or whatever.

I'm kind of jumping all over the place here but as far as you interviewing them to find skillsets, those are all documented already, both civilian and navy skills/job/schools but you as a DH on a ship don't have access to them. I'd be willing to bet whoever the sailor is assigned to can pull them up though.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

McNally posted:

Chaplain corps

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nailed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I wood have made this joke, but you beat me to it. You're always a thorn in my side.