Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Clark Nova posted:

under different circumstances, with a less horrible family, adopting out to the infertile sister could be an arrangement that benefits everyone, because being 18 with two kids loving sucks

In yet another time and place, the entire family would have lived together as a group and everyone would have helped raise the children. And the parents would probably still have found some way to be horrible people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Raising one of your siblings children as your own used to be fairly normal in Anglo Saxon times, when birth control didn't exist and people were making GBS threads out kids left and right. Hence Sweostor Nifts being a special relationship and turning up a lot in things like Arthurian literature.

But people are psycho as poo poo on AITA, so people doing open family adoption with sensible arrangements and boundaries are not going to turn up there.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Neito posted:

Why is "Give me your kid" such a common thing? Like, I can understand "Give me your car", I can almost understand "Give me your house", but "Give me your kid" is just insane to me. It's probably because I see a kid as a human being with a soul and a connection and a thing that loves and can be loved, and the real answer is "You're not a psychopath who views kids as a checklist item and property at best", but loving hell.

Reddit moves in big fashionable waves, if someone posts a mundane thing that does well (eg 'I found a cat, what shall I name him guys?' or 'I just quit my job and told off my boss') there'll be a surge of copycats with variable quality/effort. These relationship subforums -AITA especially- have their local writer's lobby that are always hard up for inspiration, might as well poach someone else's topic.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There is a type of person who does think in only gains and loses to themselves, and they are nightmares to deal with if you’re forced to interact with them, because they don’t have reason like a person should

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Neito posted:

Why is "Give me your kid" such a common thing? Like, I can understand "Give me your car", I can almost understand "Give me your house", but "Give me your kid" is just insane to me. It's probably because I see a kid as a human being with a soul and a connection and a thing that loves and can be loved, and the real answer is "You're not a psychopath who views kids as a checklist item and property at best", but loving hell.

Fairy tales?

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for not letting my daughter go to her homecoming dance?

My favorite part is how he knew well in advance but didn't say no until she was safely in his custody so she and her mother couldn't do something sneaky like change when the daughter's time with the dad is. What a massive rear end in a top hat, I guarantee the only reason she shows up to visit him is because she and her mom know he will attempt to make their life hell if she doesn't.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Lmao “I want to spend time with my daughter! No I don’t want to be present at major milestones in her life, how would she pay attention to me during those times?”

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for not letting my daughter go to her homecoming dance?

Why yes, I am a controlling psycho why do you ask?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
It's where he says he feels like his daughter will sever all contact with him as soon as she is able.

Yeah genius, wonder why that would be.

Also that he did exactly the same thing with her dance recital the previous year.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
"man it's lovely when my b**** ex wife makes me use my parenting time to do things our daughter cares about"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

quote:

I’m her dad, I am the boss of her am I not?

quote:

Her mother is particularly manipulative and I’m trying to show my daughter that she won’t get away with acting like her mother

quote:

She did do something to deserve punishment, and yes I made a quick assumption about my ex. She’s extremely manipulative and she’s done stuff like that to me a lot in the past (buying things to put pressure on me). My daughter shows signs of similar behavior to her mother’s and I don’t want her turning out like that.

quote:

She testified against me last year and still put her and her sister with me about 50% of the time, does that paint a better picture as to how terrible her mother is?

quote:

The reason her mom is my ex is because she lied and cheated. I didn’t do anything wrong.

quote:

I would have better contact with my daughter if she didn’t refuse to speak to me when she’s staying with her mother. It’s not my fault she won’t talk to me

quote:

How was coming in and writing “homecoming” on the calendar and showing off her dress she’d already bought NOT manipulative? That’s manipulating me into letting her go and I wasn’t giving in to that.

quote:

I used to pick up the phone and text her while she was with her mother, but she never replied to me. I’m almost certain her mother blocked my number in her phone.

quote:

Yes, I would feel the same about those things. I barely got to see my daughter for YEARS am I an rear end in a top hat for wanting to spend as much time with her as I can? Because I know her mother has convinced her that I’m the villain and I DO fear she’ll leave me when she turns 18.

I didn’t let her go to her dance recital last year because it was an entire weekend long and I wasn’t missing out on her for that long. My ex withheld my daughters from me for 7 years.

quote:

No, she testified against me because her mother told her to. I wanted custody because her mother is a narcissist and she deserves to have parents that put her before themselves. Her mother is so self-absorbed that my daughters hadn’t been to the dentist in years and they were constantly being fed fast food garbage. My ex doesn’t know how to take care of anyone but herself. My oldest daughter has perfect grades and everyone thinks she’s an angel, but that’s the only reason why. She’s just like her mother and I’m trying to stop that.

Uncle ShortyB
Oct 18, 2013

"Do you think since your cat is dead I could

You know

Wear it?"
[SC] My Elderly Neighbor is Destroying our Property

quote:

I live in SC, USA and own 5 acres of land. One property line was originally made to run down the center of a natural creek, my neighbor owns the 50 acres of property on the other side of the creek. He is 86 years old and when we built our house in 2019 seemed friendly.

Now this year we have discovered he isn't but we were not aware before buying this property that this man had a literal 50-year-old feud with my husband's grandfather. We only found out about it when he told us about it this year after my husband caught him spraying weed killer on my vegetable garden when he thought we weren't home.

This man is the reason why my gardens haven't grown since moving there, several of our beautiful old oak trees have also mysteriously died for no reason, and we no longer feel safe to own pets because they go missing mysteriously. None of this is stuff we can prove, but we have now discovered on top of this that he is sabotaging our creek bank while reinforcing his own in order to shift the creek onto our property.

Our creek bank, which held just fine for decades before we bought it, now has major erosion issues and we have huge collapses when it so much as drizzles outside. One portion of the bank collapsed and totaled our tractor when it was dragged it down with the dirt down into the creek which is 5 feet deep in this area. My husband took the extreme measure of putting on camo and sitting in his deer stand after dark to see if he could catch the neighbor and sure enough, he caught this man with his sons and grandkids shoveling dirt from our creek banks, removing rocks, etc and using them to reinforce their side of the bank. They have even stolen rocks we brought in to fill in the big collapse by taking their tractor onto our property and taking the rocks while we were at work then using them on their side of the creek bank.

We're going to try and get video evidence of them doing this but in the meantime, we're trying to figure out if the property line actually moves with the creek. The spiteful side of me is hoping it doesn't so we can just wait for a while longer, save our money to get it surveyed, then let him drown in karma when we are able to fence the creek off from him since it has moved almost completely inside our original property line thanks to this neighbors tampering.

But if it does move with the creek then we are in a bind. We're drowning in medical bills right now due to our baby's NICU stay when he was born and I had to have emergency surgery in Feb. We can't afford to have a grader come in and fix all of this damage and we both work full time so he has 40-60 hours a week of us not being home to do what he wants. We set up game cameras and they go missing, we can't afford to buy more. We also can't afford to move.

I don't know what the gently caress it is but the "good ol' boys" culture here in the southeast always leads to some absolute fuckwits like this popping up every now and then. Pretty much every old southern dude I've met has been some kind of crazy rear end in a top hat like this. Granted, if I had to hang out in camo in a deer stand all night to catch you digging out my side of the creek bed and putting the rocks and dirt on your side I would have jumped out like a crazy person and tried to put the fear of god in them, but also I've dealt with enough of these dipshits to know that the only thing that gets them to leave you alone is making them aware that there will absolutely be consequences for their poo poo.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA well are WE the AH's for eloping?

quote:

Throwaway bc of obvious reasons I suppose.

I think the title says it all.

Me (27F) and my now husband (38M) eloped 3 weeks ago. Tbh, the wedding planning turned into a shitshow. Both of our parents were involved in paying for it. But we both felt like our wishes were not being heard.

We did not want this huge gathering, we wanted 30 people in attendance. Small and intimate, but the parents were offended bc "their work associates this that and the freaking 3rd".) My partner and I had told them it was not their day, we understand where you're coming from but we don't know these people and we want a small intimate gathering.

Husband and I decided to take over planning, but at every turn we were getting texts, calls, emails etc from everywhich way saying did you change this or that. And we were like no, wtf. Our parents were doing it bc "We're paying for it, be grateful and just show up." We were very grateful that they wanted to pay but we didn't want a wedding with over 100 people and all this materialistic poo poo.

We weren't even allowed to pick our own gown/tux. Why? "You're representing us, you're getting the wedding we never had." For us, I guess that was it.

We talked about it one night in bed, and we decided it should be us, what we want, who we want celebrating with us. Well, the next day we booked an AirBnB, went to Vegas with our 4 best friends, got hitched, and spent 2 weeks in the rental. It was amazing, it was us. We wanted to look back at a wedding day where we were happy and not miserable.

We got home Sunday night, and our parents were livid, calling us names screaming and shouting at us, calling us selfish, and my partner told them to GTFO, we've had it with their antics, and their selfishness. They started screaming more, my partner called the cops bc we asked them to leave multiple times, and they just wouldn't.

My sister says we're the AH's for taking away their right as parents to see their child get married, his siblings are on our side, but idk, after hearing both sides, I do kind of feel like an AH, but I'm not sure. Partner says I shouldn't and friends and family say it too, but idk Reddit, are the AH's?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Uncle ShortyB posted:

Filing a criminal/civil complaint for trespass/vandalism (or whatever the local statute is) might work if the husband can get video of them doing it and document everything.

Rural legal systems are loving wrathful about protecting property and water access.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for hiring bridesmaids and then kicking my fiance's brother from our wedding cause he called me a bridezilla ?

quote:

I'm (24F) getting married to my fiance (25M) next month and I ran into a big problem before the wedding : I have no bridesmaids to speak of. All my high school friends backstabbed me, so I have no contact with them anymore and my sister isn't even invited to begin with ( And I even made sure that she doesn't find out that I'm getting married ), so I had no choice left but to hire bridesmaids to attend my wedding. My fiance got mad when he found out about me hiring bridesmaids, saying we don't need them and we may be coming short of the honeymoon if we keep them. I told him that it's easy for him to talk, cause he still has his 3 brothers as groomsmen and a large family and lots of his old high school friends attending our wedding and that if we need to sacrifice our honeymoon for my bridesmaids, then we'll do it, but without my bridesmaids I'm not walking down the aisle. He said I could still make amends with my sister and have her as my bridesmaid, but I told him clearly that my sister isn't putting foot in my wedding even over my corpse and I'm willing to hire even security guard in order to stop her in case she somehow finds out about my wedding. I then heard his older brother calling me a bridezilla and I quickly told him off and kicked him out of our wedding. He said that he didn't want to attend anyway with a crazy bride like me and some of my fiance's family members sided with him and dropped out from our wedding as well. My fiance said that I can't kick his brother and should reconsider my decision, but I told him that if I found out that his brother is somehow at the wedding, then he'll be known in his family as the groom whose bride never showed up. However, maybe I'm really just being unreasonable and I should loosen up with our wedding planning.

AITA ?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

spacetoaster posted:

Filing a criminal/civil complaint for trespass/vandalism (or whatever the local statute is) might work if the husband can get video of them doing it and document everything.

Rural legal systems are loving wrathful about protecting property and water access.

If tree law is a thing (which might also apply as she says their trees are dying) I would imagine loving around with the flow of an existing river or stream on someone else's property has to also be a crime, right? Especially since it can cause major flooding and other issues.

I am not a lawyer but I am a river enthusiast so I am just imagining based on the fact that practically every time someone screws with the way water flows, even when they know what they are doing, it tends to end poorly.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Uncle ShortyB posted:

I don't know what the gently caress it is but the "good ol' boys" culture here in the southeast always leads to some absolute fuckwits like this popping up every now and then. Pretty much every old southern dude I've met has been some kind of crazy rear end in a top hat like this. Granted, if I had to hang out in camo in a deer stand all night to catch you digging out my side of the creek bed and putting the rocks and dirt on your side I would have jumped out like a crazy person and tried to put the fear of god in them, but also I've dealt with enough of these dipshits to know that the only thing that gets them to leave you alone is making them aware that there will absolutely be consequences for their poo poo.

Shoot the neighbor and claim you thought he was a deer.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Shoot him for trespassing.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Is this how you get people turn up with titles like 'Watershed Management Office Junior Surveyor', and turn out to be a heavily armed federal alphabet agency who take zero poo poo from anyone?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for hiring bridesmaids and then kicking my fiance's brother from our wedding cause he called me a bridezilla ?

I'm...almost kind of on her side?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

SilvergunSuperman posted:

How? She sounds like an absolute psychopath.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Yeah how

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The comments for that one reveal the beef with her sister at least seems to be legit (sister slept with her ex-boyfriend while they were still together) but everything else she's pretty silent on.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Weddings are dumb as poo poo money sinkholes any way you slice it, so not wanting to be embarrassed by no bridesmaids seems reasonable to me. I don't know if hired guns is something I'd do but :shrug:

Other than that she's a psycho because she doesn't want her sister there and barred someone that insulted her?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Same but I'm skeptical that every woman she has ever met turned out to be a backstabbing rear end in a top hat. You know what they say.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I would have edited it for spacing but I felt like the giant block of breathless text was important context.

Uncle ShortyB
Oct 18, 2013

"Do you think since your cat is dead I could

You know

Wear it?"

hallo spacedog posted:

If tree law is a thing (which might also apply as she says their trees are dying) I would imagine loving around with the flow of an existing river or stream on someone else's property has to also be a crime, right? Especially since it can cause major flooding and other issues.

I am not a lawyer but I am a river enthusiast so I am just imagining based on the fact that practically every time someone screws with the way water flows, even when they know what they are doing, it tends to end poorly.

Yeah just a cursory glance at some websites seems to suggest that they would have a case to just absolutely rake this motherfucker over the coals for the river alone since his reasoning seems to be "I lost an argument 50 years ago and I can't just let poo poo go", though I'm not a lawyer either tbh. Also,

StormDrain posted:

Shoot him for trespassing.

is a legit solution here since NC is a castle doctrine state. Ain't no reason to be acting like a loving child because you lost a fight with a dead person half a decade ago.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

People who talk about 'backstabbing', unless they are literal teenagers or professional assassins, get an instant eyebrow raise from me.

Like what context in a normal life can you even betray someone? Is it normal to have enough drama and secrets swirling around that backstabbing is a possibility?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Pretty sure toxic work environments foster all sorts of opportunities for metaphorical backstabbing. For the literal sort you'd need a wedding.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Harold Fjord posted:

Same but I'm skeptical that every woman she has ever met turned out to be a backstabbing rear end in a top hat. You know what they say.
She's 24, and she has no bridesmaids because "her high school friends all backstabbed her." I really wonder what happened in the subsequent 6 years.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm surprised this is the first time I've heard of the concept of hiring bridesmaids. So many of the wedding stories in this thread would've been less painful for everyone if they had ordered bridesmaids from a catalog instead of putting their friends/relatives through hell

Strategic Tea posted:

People who talk about 'backstabbing', unless they are literal teenagers or professional assassins, get an instant eyebrow raise from me.

Like what context in a normal life can you even betray someone? Is it normal to have enough drama and secrets swirling around that backstabbing is a possibility?

she said it was her high school friends, so I'm guessing they did typical mean girl poo poo, or maybe turned on her if she got out of a small town and/or went to college

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Clark Nova posted:

I'm surprised this is the first time I've heard of the concept of hiring bridesmaids. So many of the wedding stories in this thread would've been less painful for everyone if they had ordered bridesmaids from a catalog instead of putting their friends/relatives through hell

Wasn't there one in the last thread where someone ordered models as their wedding party because their friends weren't attractive enough for the bride's taste in the photos?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

spacetoaster posted:

They have to make sure the old rear end in a top hat's children and kinfolk don't dominate the local government / sheriff

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Clark Nova posted:

she said it was her high school friends, so I'm guessing they did typical mean girl poo poo, or maybe turned on her if she got out of a small town and/or went to college

Had a gang bang with her sister and ex, obviously.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

They have to make sure the old rear end in a top hat's children and kinfolk don't dominate the local government / sheriff

That's a possibility, but if they had those kinds of connections they would have been using those connections to do the damage instead of what they've been doing.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah generally the options are "the law steps in" or "somebody shoots somebody"

Also lol property lines almost certainly don't move with a body of water and most assuredly not when it's being maliciously tampered with.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for unknowingly setting my friend out with an autistic girl

quote:

So about a week ago I had the idea to set out my two friends with each other because they both thought each other were cute. They start talking for about a week and then out of the blue i get a text saying that i am an rear end in a top hat and a sick gently caress for doing that even though i had no clue she was autistic but he keeps saying i should have been able to see it and that i am in the wrong for not noticing that she has aspergers, it has never been told to me and never even brought up in conversation AITA.

Top comment, deleted by moderators:
YTA and need to apologize to your friend for setting her up with an ableist.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

They were friends from high school who betrayed her but it didn't have to occur in high school. The sister animosity is legit but her going from 1 to 100 on every other thing is suspect.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Runcible Cat posted:

Had a gang bang with her sister and ex, obviously.
It's amazing how many people forget to factor Anal into their wedding budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Weddings are dumb as poo poo money sinkholes any way you slice it, so not wanting to be embarrassed by no bridesmaids seems reasonable to me. I don't know if hired guns is something I'd do but :shrug:

Other than that she's a psycho because she doesn't want her sister there and barred someone that insulted her?

If you don't have people you want to be bridesmaids you just... don't have bridesmaids.

Hiring actors to pretend to be your friends is not on the same sanity level as having an overpriced cake.