Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I didn't think they could make a genre worse than metal, and then I heard Papa Roach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I was just talking to someone about how it's weird nobody seems to remember Mercenary: Escape from Targ, which was a 3D open-world sandbox game released in loving 1985, and literally nobody even attempted to rip off the genre for another decade.

There were a few either side of 1990. They're just nigh unplayably awkward now so retrogamers aren't keen on them :smith:. Midwinter (and its sequel) as well as Hunter and Armour-Geddon all had 3d open world sandboxes (to varying degrees of sandbox-ness). Midwinter and Hunter were actually good at the time though, unlike Armour-Geddon which was mostly just ambitious iirc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The funnier part is I don't belive boris could write two pages that fast, so he might have already had it ready to go lol.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I have Hunter on my Amiga 500 still. 20+ years old and all it has is a new PSU. Wonderful system :)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

keep punching joe posted:

I didn't think they could make a genre worse than metal, and then I heard Papa Roach.

I used to think they were laughable til I watched this video, now they're alright by me :unsmith:

https://youtu.be/XO7Xb-OvQXA

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Amazing just did my regular self flaggelation by reading the daily mail website and they've done an article about the property value of the suicide bombers bedsit.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/conservative-councillor-suspended-over-tweet-6216134

Conservative councillor suspended over tweet mocking Liverpool terror attack
Paul Nickerson has been suspended from the local Conservative group over the posting of a fake image of Jeremy Corbyn

Relates to this:

https://twitter.com/CouncillorPaul_/status/1460588692767133696?s=20

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
What the hell is a nutmegging? Is this like the thing with horses and ginger?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

big scary monsters posted:

What the hell is a nutmegging? Is this like the thing with horses and ginger?

When you kick the ball through the legs of the other dude. I think the thing when you ram ginger up a horse is called feagueing or something like that.
Could be an interesting way to liven up some matches though

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I would like to apologys for the account-involved tweeting that led to an upset-generating event.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Payndz posted:

Paul Woakes died? drat, he was incredibly talented not just at getting sluggish machines like the C64 to do things they shouldn't have been able to do, but at actually making the games based around those tricks highly playable.

Encounter was a game unfairly overshadowed by Mercenary: think Battlezone, except with the twitch-reflex speed of Robotron and huge objects flying ridiculously fast around the screen. Something of a forgotten gem.

Not forgotten by me. Encounter used an extremely neat trick; there would never be more than 8 objects on screen at once, and as every object in the game also had perfect rotational symmetry Woakes was able to use scaling sprites in place of 3D objects. That's how it was able to move everything around so quickly; with no need to address relative position of facets and vertices, every frame could be generated with a handful of operations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm sorry - a political nutmegging?

I don't even know what a regular nutmegging is

E: I have now read the rest of the thread and have no further questions.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Deketh posted:

When you kick the ball through the legs of the other dude. I think the thing when you ram ginger up a horse is called feagueing or something like that.
Could be an interesting way to liven up some matches though

Oh yeah. I didn't quite get it in this context but I suppose it makes sense.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
its embarrassing for you if someone nutmegs you, it makes you look a right plonker.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I suppose it's better than being cumin

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Paprika? drat near killed er!

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Borrovan posted:

I was arguing about this with someone a while ago - is it? If I murder someone with a knife because I think they're a dick, that's just murder, but if I blow them up it's terrorism?

Terrorism is actually extremely difficult to define, & international discourse on the subject is kinda toxic due to countries like the US refusing to accept any definition that could conceivably apply to state terrorism.

There’s a perfectly reasonable definition of terrorism as public political violence done by covert actors. Not accepting that definition has more to do with demanding things that clearly are or aren’t terrorism be considered so for political point scoring than understanding what is going on. If the state runs a secret death squad, that is terrorism; if they announce on the news that they are going to be rounding up undesirables and sending them to camps, it is not.

Edge cases exist, and also some people in that world say false things. Neither of those obvious points are valid reasons to somehow argue yourself into stopping using useful and descriptive words.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

radmonger posted:

There’s a perfectly reasonable definition of terrorism as public political violence done by covert actors. Not accepting that definition has more to do with demanding things that clearly are or aren’t terrorism be considered so for political point scoring than understanding what is going on. If the state runs a secret death squad, that is terrorism; if they announce on the news that they are going to be rounding up undesirables and sending them to camps, it is not.

This is asserting that your preferred definition is correct but I do not intuitively see why the state rounding people up in public does not constitute terrorism in the way you apparently do?

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

keep punching joe posted:

Amazing just did my regular self flaggelation by reading the daily mail website and they've done an article about the property value of the suicide bombers bedsit.

Evil housing market rewards terrorist!
First the woke brigade demand prisoners can buy lottery tickets, then this suicide bomber makes £30,000 while blowing himself up. This politically correct madness must stop! Join our crusade to cancel the housing market writes Vanessa Feltz.

Something like that?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Danger - Octopus! posted:

There were a few either side of 1990. They're just nigh unplayably awkward now so retrogamers aren't keen on them :smith:. Midwinter (and its sequel) as well as Hunter and Armour-Geddon all had 3d open world sandboxes (to varying degrees of sandbox-ness). Midwinter and Hunter were actually good at the time though, unlike Armour-Geddon which was mostly just ambitious iirc.

Hunter! Thank you for saying that.
When people were talking about early sandbox games, that was the game that came to mind but I couldn't remember what it was called.
I played that on my A500 back in the day.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

This is asserting that your preferred definition is correct but I do not intuitively see why the state rounding people up in public does not constitute terrorism in the way you apparently do?
Especially since the first modern uses of the term terrorism often relate to looking back at a Committee of Public Safety or so on instituting a series of public policies that ends up being known in retrospect as The Terror or similar, rather than any contemporary shady covert men hanging around under bridges throwing bombs at carriages (that would be Anarchy rather than Terror).

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
This yorkshire cricket club stuff is crazy.

Azeem Rafiq told the the digital, culture, media and sport select committee that from early on at Yorkshire he was subject to personal racist abuse. He reported to the MPs on the committee that “there was a lot of ‘you lot sit over there near the toilets’, the word Paki was used constantly, no one ever stamped it out. All I wanted to do was play cricket. Towards the end of my first spell but constantly throughout I knew there was something wrong. I started taking medication for my mental health. It was really tough.”

Asked by the chairman of the committee Julian Knight about the term “Kevin”, Rafiq said it was an offensive, racist one that reached the very top of the game. “‘Kevin’ was a something Gary used to describe anyone of colour in a very derogatory manner. It was an open secret in the England dressing room,” he added. “Anyone who came across Gary would know that was a phrase he would use to describe people of colour.” Rafiq also alleged former England batter Alex Hales was involved. He said: “Gary and Alex got really close to each other when they played for England together. I wasn’t present in that dressing room, but what I understand [is] that Alex went on to name his dog ‘Kevin’ because it was black. It’s disgusting how much of a joke it was.”

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Would you use the word ‘crocodile’ to describe a tiger? I mean, both are big scary animals that will under some circumstances eat you, and the way it would feel to be eaten by either is probably pretty similar.

The relevant difference is what would need to be done to _avoid_ people being eaten.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also if the state is technically open about the fact that it considers getting people to kill themselves because of benefits sanctions but keeps claiming it's "for their own good" that they should live in an atmosphere of permanent fear and degradation does that count as terrorism or not? Because most people presumably are not consciously aware all the time that that is happening despite it not being a secret.

radmonger posted:

Would you use the word ‘crocodile’ to describe a tiger? I mean, both are big scary animals that will under some circumstances eat you, and the way it would feel to be eaten by either is probably pretty similar.

The relevant difference is what would need to be done to _avoid_ people being eaten.

As I said, you have not actually demonstrated why your preferred definition of terrorism is the correct one, merely stated that it is the definition and then given an example of using it to declare things to be terrorism or not terrorism, but at no point have you actually attempted to say why it is the case?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 16, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also if the government blows up a hospital in syria, is that terrorism? Does it become not terrorism because the government is doing it, does it become not terrorism because they claim they are not doing it to terrorize people? I would suggest that it does terrorize people and also that the government is quite capable of lying.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
What else is "shock and awe" but terrorism?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Extremely different, of course, it isn't called shock, awe, and terror, is it?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The tories are openly coming for Johnson by putting his sex pest dads antics on record.

And I think Johnson is swinging back with his stuff about banning paid consultancies as he knows it will play extremely well while massively disadvantaging his obvious successors.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

serious gaylord posted:

The tories are openly coming for Johnson by putting his sex pest dads antics on record.

And I think Johnson is swinging back with his stuff about banning paid consultancies as he knows it will play extremely well while massively disadvantaging his obvious successors.

Comedy option: enough MPs who weren't able to get their snouts properly in the trough pass a motion approving heavy retroactive financial penalties for MPs who worked as journalists. Johnson has to declare bankruptcy before a leadership challenge and is unable to sit or vote in the Commons.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

radmonger posted:

Tigers are cuddly though. Being eaten by one of them would be like being given a big old hug! Nothing at all like the terrifying roller coaster ride of being eaten by a crocodile.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

It's like watching people desperately fighting for survival on a sinking ship, but in this case they are fighting each other for the biggest cabins instead of the liferafts. :sigh:

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Jippa posted:

This yorkshire cricket club stuff is crazy.

Azeem Rafiq told the the digital, culture, media and sport select committee that from early on at Yorkshire he was subject to personal racist abuse. He reported to the MPs on the committee that “there was a lot of ‘you lot sit over there near the toilets’, the word Paki was used constantly, no one ever stamped it out. All I wanted to do was play cricket. Towards the end of my first spell but constantly throughout I knew there was something wrong. I started taking medication for my mental health. It was really tough.”

Asked by the chairman of the committee Julian Knight about the term “Kevin”, Rafiq said it was an offensive, racist one that reached the very top of the game. “‘Kevin’ was a something Gary used to describe anyone of colour in a very derogatory manner. It was an open secret in the England dressing room,” he added. “Anyone who came across Gary would know that was a phrase he would use to describe people of colour.” Rafiq also alleged former England batter Alex Hales was involved. He said: “Gary and Alex got really close to each other when they played for England together. I wasn’t present in that dressing room, but what I understand [is] that Alex went on to name his dog ‘Kevin’ because it was black. It’s disgusting how much of a joke it was.”

Hoggard being involved made me sad. I really liked him.

I really, really hope that this finishes Vaughan.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I think Vaughan's done, him continuing to double down on "no I never said that" while more and more people confirm it happened is making him look worse by the day

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Woke Snowmen have CANCELED The Snowflake is a thing that absolutely hasn't happened, but will be reported as having happened in comment sections up and down the country within the hour.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That actually is a shame because acapella motorbikes could have rivalled the current world champions of riddly diddly

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

img stolen from a yosposter

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gambrinus posted:

Hoggard being involved made me sad. I really liked him.

I really, really hope that this finishes Vaughan.

I will continue to hope this finishes cricket & consigns it to the dustbin of history.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

That actually is a shame because acapella motorbikes could have rivalled the current world champions of riddly diddly

Incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1460719838897315842