Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

toadee posted:

I mean the kit in question is literally just soldering on the midi jacks and the USB jack, which all have massive solder points. No ICs or components or anything small or complicated. It's legitimately something I would recommend to someone as their very first solder project because the solder points are massive, they can only fit in one direction, you can't really damage them by heating them too much, and the whole thing is really as easy as 'put solder near go together place and make hot. Now its together'

Cool, well you're welcome to post a link to it if you like, IMO. You just sent me on a little goose chase I'd recommend, lots of easy little projects that you'll pay twice that for if you want to buy a halfassed one and four times as much for a solid one, for a number of decently clever little devices. Some more or less work, for instance this I think would just survive being in any old enclosure, really, though I'd ask somebody who knows more than me. Really like the idea of a trs midi splitter/router/whatever.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265103829463?hash=item3db96b69d7:g:t-cAAOSwDTlgX~AT

This looks good:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1439517892...7Cclp%3A2563228

Here, just lots of clever poo poo to solve simple problems. You could maybe make your own easily enough, too:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1338990644...7Cclp%3A2563228

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Soldering is one of those things that seems scary until you do it. The you're like "oh, that's all there is to it?"

So anyone who isn't sure they could do it, get a decent iron and go try it.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

petit choux posted:

Cool, well you're welcome to post a link to it if you like, IMO. You just sent me on a little goose chase I'd recommend, lots of easy little projects that you'll pay twice that for if you want to buy a halfassed one and four times as much for a solid one, for a number of decently clever little devices. Some more or less work, for instance this I think would just survive being in any old enclosure, really, though I'd ask somebody who knows more than me. Really like the idea of a trs midi splitter/router/whatever.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265103829463?hash=item3db96b69d7:g:t-cAAOSwDTlgX~AT

This looks good:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1439517892...7Cclp%3A2563228

Here, just lots of clever poo poo to solve simple problems. You could maybe make your own easily enough, too:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1338990644...7Cclp%3A2563228

Ah it's the one - I had just posted it a couple days ago so I figured it was fresh in people's minds https://meeblip.com/products/meeblip-thru5-midi-splitter-kit

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

toadee posted:

Ah it's the one - I had just posted it a couple days ago so I figured it was fresh in people's minds https://meeblip.com/products/meeblip-thru5-midi-splitter-kit

Also a cute mini synth for cheap.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Hey does anyone itt have experience selling a copy of Ableton? I bought Suite 11 a while back thinking I'd switch from Bitwig, but I have used it for approximately 30 whole minutes in the past year.

I think I'm going to just sell it, but I'm wondering what the license transfer process is like. It seems like it's a simple matter of putting in the new owner's email, but I can't find a definitive answer as to whether it's free or not. Any advice? Things to look out for?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Trig Discipline posted:

Hey does anyone itt have experience selling a copy of Ableton? I bought Suite 11 a while back thinking I'd switch from Bitwig, but I have used it for approximately 30 whole minutes in the past year.

I think I'm going to just sell it, but I'm wondering what the license transfer process is like. It seems like it's a simple matter of putting in the new owner's email, but I can't find a definitive answer as to whether it's free or not. Any advice? Things to look out for?

Well I successfully purchased and transferred a copy of version 8, no complaints here, the transfer process worked fine.

This evening just for cheese and grins I'm controlling a Casio LK 45, a cheap student keyboard with general MIDI, with my MIDI Theremin from Zeppelin. Of course my main reason is the keys light up when played on all the LK series and so I wanted to see it, and wala, it is a nice visual display, it's so cool I could just about split my output and use this just for visual display. But I'm enjoying all the voices on this thing, it's like they put all the also-ran voices on the kids' keyboards or something.

ED: No, I spoke too soon, these voices, some of them are nice even on this cheapish keyboard. I'm liking all the bass voices so far.

OMG I just tried the "brass section" voice it is so hilarious....yes this is the cheese.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 15, 2021

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Going to cancel my SP404mk2 preorder.

I picked up an Akai MPD218 and have beat maker and koala sampler on my iPad Pro. I don't need another device at this point. Keeps things nice and compact for apartment living too. I need to get better at sampling and new hardware ain't gonna make that happen.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I wrote a pretty synthy song: https://jocko-homomorphism.bandcamp.com/track/tuck-and-roll

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I love that you sing. you should continue to do so

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Thanks!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cross-posting from the DIY thread. Anybody ever seen these used or tried them yourself? I'm kind of excited to have found these.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

uhhhhh that's hella cool

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Looks that way to me. All pretty ready-made, it appears, too. And it looks like maybe the software won't require much or any tweaking right off the bat. And cheap too.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Awesome. Catchy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m losing my loving mind right now!

Is it GAS if I found someone local with a stash of Akai formatted sample disks going back to the mid 90s? Because this is the best $10 I ever spent.

Some Atari ST project disks in here too.

Priority one is to binary dump these to images STAT before I start feeding them to my samplers.

I am so pumped to do some sound archaeology!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

it's going to be all dx7 presets isn't it

Trig Discipline posted:

i have experience buying them and it works just perfectly fine. contact ableton's support, let them know your e-mail address, the seller's e-mail address, and they'll transfer it when you say for free

not getting hosed with payment is your own responsibility tho

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Laserjet 4P posted:

it's going to be all dx7 presets isn't it

The one I randomly threw in has some kind of ultra-lo-fi 8bit screaming baby that terrified the poo poo out of me so I'm already off to a good start

If there's a horror-baby preset on the DX7 then you're on the right track.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 15, 2021

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
You're doing God's work.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Martytoof posted:

If there's a horror-baby preset on the DX7 then you're on the right track.
If you find the sysex, send me a copy for my volca fm please.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Laserjet 4P posted:

i have experience buying them and it works just perfectly fine. contact ableton's support, let them know your e-mail address, the seller's e-mail address, and they'll transfer it when you say for free

not getting hosed with payment is your own responsibility tho

Yeah that was my followup question - any suggestions on where to go to sell a license? Is Ebay okay?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Is it GAS if I found someone local with a stash of Akai formatted sample disks going back to the mid 90s? Because this is the best $10 I ever spent.

Priority one is to binary dump these to images STAT before I start feeding them to my samplers.

If you get round to dumping these I'd be very interested! My s2000 is pretty much gathering dust and those disks seem prohibitively expensive on eBay etc. Great score

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah that was my followup question - any suggestions on where to go to sell a license? Is Ebay okay?

That's where I bought mine.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Martytoof posted:

:ohdear:
You're going to unleash a long dormant computer virus like when Lucius Verus opened an ancient tomb and started the plague.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rutibex posted:

:ohdear:
You're going to unleash a long dormant computer virus like when Lucius Verus opened an ancient tomb and started the plague.

Looking forward to sampling Bonzi Buddy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

field balm posted:

If you get round to dumping these I'd be very interested! My s2000 is pretty much gathering dust and those disks seem prohibitively expensive on eBay etc. Great score

Going to dump them this weekend, or maybe earlier if work gets boring. To be honest though most of these seem like random one-off samples, or instruments sampled at a few intervals, with a handful of FX mixed in on each disk. They’re all hand labeled in french so I doubt there’s anything amazing on here but I’ll be sure to put up whatever I find, rest assured :)

I’m having a blast just going through these disks even if they’re nothing to write home about.

Whoever used this S950 definitely made a lot of use of the “sample at high speed and pitch down” trick. I’m trying to figure out what the math would be to run audio in at high speed from a digital source like youtube and then pitch it down to increase the sample grit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/VAXxA62k6_o

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

:nice:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Are you a bad enough dude( or ette) to integrate a big mouth Billy bass into your modular rig?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAXxA62k6_o

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Thumposaurus posted:

Are you a bad enough dude( or ette) to integrate a big mouth Billy bass into your modular rig?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAXxA62k6_o

Whoah I think my friendship with look mum no computer has ended and my new best friend is fran blanche.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

making some space for the new 404. selling my SP-404SX, MS-70CDR, Aira VT-4. DM for links to pix / reverb posts. goon discount applies

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 16, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah I guess I'm doing the same with my MPC One. Haven't thrown it on Reverb yet since I'm trying to sell it local first to avoid shipping but if anyone's really jonesing for one let me know and I'll figure something out.

Not to steal A MIRACLE's thunder.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Gave in to GAS last night, purchased a MIDI foot controller for $50, and it turned out that my rather blind purchase may not have been a bad one. It's a foot controller meant to complement Yamaha breath controllers, I'm going to try setting up with my MIDI theremin, which doesn't send program change info.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

A MIRACLE posted:

making some space for the new 404. selling my SP-404SX, MS-70CDR, Aira VT-4. DM for links to pix / reverb posts. goon discount applies

Have you been keeping up with shipping updates or are you in Canada? It might be a while before you get the MK II.

I know my late-October-USA-ordering-rear end will have to wait :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Chip shortage is hitting literally all of my hobbies :[

Maybe I need more analogue hobbies.

Then I can blame the transport slowdowns and not the chip shortage.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Chip shortage is hitting literally all of my hobbies :[

Maybe I need more analogue hobbies.

Then I can blame the transport slowdowns and not the chip shortage.

If you have an iPad there's no shortage of awesome synths and weird sequencers on there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d12SNIcO32Q

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Rolo posted:

Have you been keeping up with shipping updates or are you in Canada? It might be a while before you get the MK II.

I know my late-October-USA-ordering-rear end will have to wait :(

The Reddit forum says they’re shipping out from sweet water and a few others. Guitar center is backed up. Perfect circuit is where I ordered and I just emailed them for an update

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

If you have an iPad

ApeMatrix and the Audiomodern apps (especially Riffer) are the most fun way to get stuck in a 4 bar loop hellhole with a ios device.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

xzzy posted:

ApeMatrix and the Audiomodern apps (especially Riffer) are the most fun way to get stuck in a 4 bar loop hellhole with a ios device.

Thanks, set price drop alerts for these. My family is asking what I want for xmas and are very weirded out that I'm saying App Store gift cards. AAS is a real thing.

Why have I been lusting after a MPC when I've had Beatmaker this whole time and always have my iPad on me?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

If you have an iPad there's no shortage of awesome synths and weird sequencers on there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d12SNIcO32Q

Uh excuse me I believe you'll find this is the unnecessary GAS *reinforcement* thread, not the common sense GAS workaround solution thread :|

( I have my iPad hooked into so much stuff right now thanks to this little baby :3: : )

Yeah it has latency, but just for light sequencing or bapping it's perfect :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Uh excuse me I believe you'll find this is the unnecessary GAS *reinforcement* thread, not the common sense GAS workaround solution thread :|

I have my iPad hooked into so much stuff right now :3:

AAS, grass, or GAS, no one synths for free

I also just released Koala Sampler pretty much replaces a SP404.