Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQyaMhqfCe0

speed racer rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Atrocious Joe posted:

I haven't read much Greene though, but did he ever write about areas where the British were the chief colonial power? He tries to carve out an exception for his British protagonist in the Quiet American being a colonist since it's technically not a British colony. It's easy to critique imperialism by other powers tbh.

I haven't read Our Man in Havana in a while (though I remember it being good) and while Cuba is obviously in America's influence the protagonist is "working" "with" British intelligence

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

has there ever been a live action anime adaptation that is not trash? western or japanese? only one that comes to my mind is Alita that was p dece, maybe even approaching 'good'

Korean Oldboy, not the Spike Lee one.
The Rurouni Kenshin adaptations were good swordfighty fun.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

speed racer rules

The final race is incredible.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

YaketySass posted:

One Piece by comparison is much more cartoony and shamelessly juvenile, and the whole cast is super extra. Imagine how lifeless and ashamed of itself the adaptation is gonna look if they go through with it, or pretty much any other of the big hits they might consider adapting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCzimSyR7SQ

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

It won’t be as good and that’ll bum me out, but still nice that they’re getting to do it I guess:

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1460654020956237828?s=20

(the non-returner is Lizzy Caplan, whose 2022 schedule apparently couldn’t accommodate it)

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Suleman posted:

Korean Oldboy, not the Spike Lee one.
The Rurouni Kenshin adaptations were good swordfighty fun.

Well ok, if we start getting into manga adaptations there's like a million japanese films and tv shows and some of them are bound to be at least decent, I'm talking specifically about animation to live action.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

LGD posted:

(the non-returner is Lizzy Caplan, whose 2022 schedule apparently couldn’t accommodate it)

because she's committed to a "fatal attraction" series reboot on paramount plus..... bleak

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
zoomers attempt vinyl and all hell breaks loose.

https://twitter.com/dabravanel/status/1460632558987845632?s=20

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I have only seen an actual record player in real life like once, ever.

vinyl records is silly, it's the future now. come on. we listen to files now.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

vinyl's fun i like having records and playing them

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Eric Cantonese posted:

I didn't love The Last Jedi, but I was looking forward to having lots and lots of young punk DIY Jedis just rising up against the old order and seeing whether Lucasfilm had the balls to go for that change of direction. It was not meant to be.

There was story potential in Rey having to process that there is no answer to her problems concerning how she got the Force and if her parents were going to come back. You can't run away from a galactic war. The sudden Force strength could have been easily explained as the Force being out of balance or the 'awakening' meaning that the Force will just come to people and Snoke/The First Order want to snuff that fire as fast as possible to avoid another Jedi revolution.

But nah. Grandpappy Palpatine because executives got upset at numbers.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

:agreed: I still listen to digital music 90% of the time, but I like the little ritual of putting a record on at home. I have a Bluetooth turntable and love how absurd it is.

It's really annoying when they don't print the rpm though, hate having to restart.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Jeremiah Flintwick posted:

:agreed: I still listen to digital music 90% of the time, but I like the little ritual of putting a record on at home. I have a Bluetooth turntable and love how absurd it is.

It's really annoying when they don't print the rpm though, hate having to restart.

ritual is right. it's a way different experience than just putting my phone on shuffle. physical media 4 evah. gently caress spotify.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
i remember how unbelievably awful CDs were and how nice it was to have mp3 players. i'm not going back.

besides music sounds like poo poo if it isn't played on wax cylinder by a hand-cranked gramophone

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

All time greatest movie to watch while hosed up

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Speed Racer is great

Mola Yam posted:

one of the biggest jewels in the crown of a colossal corporation is carefully controlled and micromanaged by said corporation???

but i thought a true creative like me could just turn up and wail some jizz all over the franchise!
Well they probably saw Rise of Skywalker and assumed they would be able to gently caress up the franchise just like JJ did, but it turns out it was a creative committee of execs that hosed it up, not the director, the director just takes the blame.

Uncle Wemus posted:

I never saw endgame or infinity war but yourube recommended this scene and lol @ all the people cheering on Tony's fascist little speech

https://youtu.be/2VyV-pgYcOE
That was in the Captain America Three: Civil War? movie and Tony Stark is unambiguously the bad guy in those.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I mean I don't really think it's unambiguous that Tony Stark is bad in civil war.

particularly cause the position of Captain America in that movie (the even gooder guy) is that superheroes should be allowed to continue to do whatever they want, however they see fit, with no oversight, because they're more powerful than the government, so gently caress off. I mean again this is after they completely destroyed a foreign nation

if it wasn't for all the faceless alien hordes, literal nazis, and characters like Thanos that are just evil for no clear or comprehensible reason the Avengers would come off so bad. They could easily be a villain league in another comic

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Right but Tony Stark's whole thing is that he just wants to sign the accords to "get ahead of it" and "control" it - he has massive popular support and already effectively controls the government so he's not worried about actual oversight, he just wants to use it to legitimize his violence. This is made explicit when he tries to murder captain america man and his russian boyfriend at the end of the movie.

The one interesting thing the marvel movies carry forward from the comics (on top of all the bad things) is that when a character is outside of their own "book" (or movie series) they are allowed to be antagonistic or even the villain. So Tony Stark is the good guy in his own movies and the avengers movies, but the villain in every captain america movie.

Assepoester has issued a correction as of 21:30 on Nov 16, 2021

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Tony's position in Civil War was "Bucky killed my parents" and Cap's was "But I love him"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

The United States posted:

Right but Tony Stark's whole thing is that he just wants to sign the accords to "get ahead of it" and "control" it - he has massive popular support and already effectively controls the government so he's not worried about actual oversight, he just wants to use it to legitimize his violence. This is made explicit when he tries to murder captain american man and his russian boyfriend at the end of the movie.
When you put it like that, it sounds like the classic US foreign policy divide. On one side there are the people really mad about being constrained by international law, on the other the people who realize they aren't.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

josh04 posted:

this was also my experience. i thought there were a few places where a more confident director could have really hammered home the joke but it was a fun film with one big idea it did well

i saw it last year and didn’t like the real drugs real murder aspect but the goofy high school logic reality was pretty good. it felt like a really good noir pastiche episode of a live action disney show that took an extremely dark turn in the first act

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

wow holy poo poo Midnight Mass turned out soo good

like for all my bitching about the old guy/lady makeup, it just got better each episode end ended strong as gently caress, they executed it perfectly
A+ would recommend

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

wow holy poo poo Midnight Mass turned out soo good

like for all my bitching about the old guy/lady makeup, it just got better each episode end ended strong as gently caress, they executed it perfectly
A+ would recommend

If you liked it and haven't watched through Mike Flanagan's catalogue I highly recommend all of it.
Dr. Sleep (director's cut), Haunting of Hill House, Haunting of Bly Manor, Oculus, Hush
all oozing with his style

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

What are your blokes thoughts on Girl Band changing their name
https://twitter.com/GillaBand/status/1460563473046421507

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If you liked it and haven't watched through Mike Flanagan's catalogue I highly recommend all of it.
Dr. Sleep (director's cut), Haunting of Hill House, Haunting of Bly Manor, Oculus, Hush

yeah mike flanagan owns, hes never let me down. well i guess i wasnt huge on dr sleep

before i wake is another good movie of his that got memory holed for some reason

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Yeah, I saw Oculus and remember liking it a lot, I'll check this dude out

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

grate deceiver posted:

has there ever been a live action anime adaptation that is not trash? western or japanese? only one that comes to my mind is Alita that was p dece, maybe even approaching 'good'

City Hunter

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Wizard Master posted:

What are your blokes thoughts on Girl Band changing their name
https://twitter.com/GillaBand/status/1460563473046421507

great debut, amazing live album, decent sophomore album, don't care too much about the name change either way, i mean i guess it's kinda silly to change it (was there really that much crit of it) but whatever i don't really care

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

good for them if they think it matters, yeah? not that big a deal, steve sent from my iphone

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Is oculus the one with the mirror? I thought that movie was pretty great.

Not a fan of haunting or mass though, every scene is a character doing giant monologues where the writer is really trying to say something deep but it's nothing deeper than stoned conversations you'd have at university. It's just normie angst stuff.

One of the characters in mass is like "I read the bible, the quran, the tao te ching! I read em all and I didn't find god" and another is like "I was a Muslim after 9/11 and I joined the fbi and instead of having me spy on evil Muslims they had me spy on good Muslims!"
Its sorta sorkinesque I guess for lack of a better word.
Also whoever monologues longest wins the argument regardless of how little sense it would make for other characters to be won over.

Having said that, I'm in the minority and they weren't bad, it's just I noticed it halfway thru haunting and so it became too much for me to bear about 3 eps into midnight Mass.
Oculus I remember being one of the better horror movies I've seen this decade though

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

Is oculus the one with the mirror? I thought that movie was pretty great.

Not a fan of haunting or mass though, every scene is a character doing giant monologues where the writer is really trying to say something deep but it's nothing deeper than stoned conversations you'd have at university. It's just normie angst stuff.

One of the characters in mass is like "I read the bible, the quran, the tao te ching! I read em all and I didn't find god" and another is like "I was a Muslim after 9/11 and I joined the fbi and instead of having me spy on evil Muslims they had me spy on good Muslims!"
Its sorta sorkinesque I guess for lack of a better word.
Also whoever monologues longest wins the argument regardless of how little sense it would make for other characters to be won over.

Having said that, I'm in the minority and they weren't bad, it's just I noticed it halfway thru haunting and so it became too much for me to bear about 3 eps into midnight Mass.
Oculus I remember being one of the better horror movies I've seen this decade though

I definitely agree his work can be a bit indulgent and slow and maudlin but I think for the most part he earns the lingering shots and the drama before diving in to those scenes. They don't all work all the time but it also a nice contrast to other horror in that he uses those scenes to clearly establish the bigger themes but also to hammer home the weakness/vulnerability of his characters in a way that isn't just trapping then in a remote place and forcing them to get beaten up by the scary monster.

And it certainly doesn't hurt that his cinematography is gorgeous. Not Fincher good but in the same family.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

i honestly got hubert humphrey vibes from him in that while thats the obvious sympathetic way to interpret the character its a lot less effort to just read him as a straight antihero instead theres also just no getting around the fact that phuong has zero agency and for all practical intents and purposes might as well be a sex doll at least lolita was portrayed as capable of complex thought

my perspective might be skewed somewhat as i have unfortunately had more exposure to the sexpat rationalization process than i would like and even today liberals slash libertarians like that are a dime a dozen in southeast asia

hubert humphrey lol

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

except this album is an lp, so wouldn't it be a 33rpm record? so the 45rpm button would make it sound like chipmunks, not extra-slow

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aglet56 posted:

except this album is an lp, so wouldn't it be a 33rpm record? so the 45rpm button would make it sound like chipmunks, not extra-slow

it's lp-sized but pressed at 45rpm for... I guess higher fidelity?
More grooves = more sounds?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It would own if all these people were just olds and Taylor just hosed with the record speed.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Aglet56 posted:

hubert humphrey lol

glad that autocorrect agrees that humbert humbert is a stupid name

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

It would own if taylor got some rando guy to sing all the songs on her album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The United States posted:

Speed Racer is great

Well they probably saw Rise of Skywalker and assumed they would be able to gently caress up the franchise just like JJ did, but it turns out it was a creative committee of execs that hosed it up, not the director, the director just takes the blame.

That was in the Captain America Three: Civil War? movie and Tony Stark is unambiguously the bad guy in those.

That's from avengers which ends with Tony being elevated to Jesus status after he uses his one wish to kill people