Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Sakurazuka posted:

Nah, DS2 is better than 1&3

I actually like 3 the best :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

AllisonByProxy posted:

I made a ton more of these in tonight's test. I'm working on uploading them all to youtube so stay tuned to this playlist to see lots more!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP8oSCobo-oxeM9Ly4nyWRyKbvI-Zc1Vp

Edit: I have 6 more videos to upload but according to YouTube I hit the daily upload limit so look for more soon!

Meanwhile, enjoy this:

Just wanted to pop in to say that in case you missed it I updated the playlist last night with 7 more videos. That's almost 2 full hours of boundary breaking nonsense. I hope you enjoy and I'll see you guys in Feburary!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP8oSCobo-oxeM9Ly4nyWRyKbvI-Zc1Vp

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Brandfarlig posted:

If you intentionally avoid tools the game gives you getting shot in the face is what you get. A bow is about as mandatory in Shrine of Amana as it is against the firebomb throwing hollows in the burg.

Using a bow on those guys never even crossed my mind, I just run past them, climb up their ladder, and stab/punch

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I think I've used a bow like twice across every from soft game. Once to get the drake sword. And then I guess once for getting the hanging corpse items in demons souls

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Cool guys cast sorcery on the hanging corpses in Prison of Hope

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Brandfarlig posted:

If you intentionally avoid tools the game gives you getting shot in the face is what you get. A bow is about as mandatory in Shrine of Amana as it is against the firebomb throwing hollows in the burg.

I'm sure people are getting tired of me bringing up DS2 and 'RANGED COMBAT!!' but the point is none of the other games put you in situations where you just have to snipe to make the encounters tolerable, and there's not three silver knights between you and the firebomb guys in undead burg either.

Basically, rather than create encounters where using your melee defensive options is fun and rewarding, DS2 has loads of situations where you're punished for not powergaming it with ranged pulls, sniping and exploiting aggro ranges which, for me at least, just isn't engaging gameplay.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sekiro owns but it made sense that the "easy mode" discourse popped up around it since you don't have the flexibility you do in their other games. There are abilities that can trivialize bosses - fire crackers being the biggest one - but they don't work on all of them and you can't fall back on calling in buddies to do the work for you. It'll be incredibly silly if the same discourse pops up around this game.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 16, 2021

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Brandfarlig posted:

And this is why I'd never call it a bad game. It's just not for me.

Same with Nioh 2, I don't have the patience for a single player fighting game and I prefer the simplicity of souls games.

You don't need a bow to deal with the firebombers in the burg at all.

Also, memorable music in 1: Taurus/Asylum, Pinwheel, O&S, Butterfly/Gwyndolin, Gwyn. Music that instantly comes back as soon as I hear it: Gargoyles, Gaping Dragon, Capra Demon, Iron Golem, Sif, Four Kings, Priscilla.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
I really wanted to like Sekiro, but maybe I'm just Bad. Last time I tried it I stopped playing at one point for 5 days or so because I went on vacation, and started getting splattered by basic enemies again. That and having to spend 15 minutes clearing out adds (most of it hiding while waiting for patrols) before you can make an attempt on the miniboss. That was pretty rough.

It's a much better to watch someone like AfroSenjuXL play than actually play myself.

EDIT: That and locking out bits of the story for that run if you don't git gud enough, that you can't reattempt, like the guy who helps you with the sumo wrestler drunkard dude.

TwoQuestions fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 16, 2021

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

if you don't pick up a bow as a sidearm if your build can use it in ds2 you're missing out, possibly the best it feels in the series. shots come out way faster so you can effectively strafe and poo poo.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Dabir posted:

You don't need a bow to deal with the firebombers in the burg at all.

My point exactly. It's a bit easier if you do, but you can also very well not.

If anything you should have a few k souls and some a million shards left over at that point so just +5 a bow and do some sniping.

I really don't consider firing an arrow or two powergaming. They're not asking you to dump 80 arrows into them like the bridge dragon in DeS or DS1.

I can't think of any other scenarios that "force" you into sniping in 2 but I haven't played it recently.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Sekiro owns but it did made sense that the "easy mode" discourse popped up around it since you don't have the flexibility you do in their other games. There are abilities that can trivialize bosses - fire crackers being the biggest one - but they don't work on all of them and you can't fall back on calling in buddies to do the work for you. It'll be incredibly silly if the same discourse pops up around this game.

I agree but never underestimate how incredibly poo poo gaming journalists are at both gaming and journalism.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 16, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

TwoQuestions posted:

EDIT: That and locking out bits of the story for that run if you don't git gud enough, that you can't reattempt, like the guy who helps you with the sumo wrestler drunkard dude.

What story. That guy has like one more line if he survives, there is no reward

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Ooh can we have an Easy Mode argument here?

Pro - I have played Dark Souls 1 through entirely with a trainer and it was loving amazing even when I was invincible the whole time.

Con - There aren't any quit being a whiner.

I'm sure there are some I just wanted us to start off strong

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

skasion posted:

What story. That guy has like one more line if he survives, there is no reward

Oh, I thought that unlocked some kind of side story.

Either way, having to start from zero again every time you break for the weekend doesn't sound nice. I hope Elden Ring can be jumped into again if you miss a day.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TwoQuestions posted:

Either way, having to start from zero again every time you break for the weekend doesn't sound nice. I hope Elden Ring can be jumped into again if you miss a day.

What

acksplode
May 17, 2004

TwoQuestions posted:

I started my first Sekiro replay (NG) after a break lasting more than a year and my first death was to Gyoubu. :shrug:

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

TwoQuestions posted:

It's souls with a jump button. You'll be fine.

*dies 5 times to the first pack of hollows*

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I did DS1 & DS2 replays immediately before DS3 came out and I still managed to die to Gundyr like five times

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

acksplode posted:

I started my first Sekiro replay (NG) after a break lasting more than a year and my first death was to Gyoubu. :shrug:

Between this and not making it out of Silver back when Overwatch was a thing, I'm beginning to suspect I may have some sort of motor issue.

Maybe trying Sekiro or one of the DS games might be fun.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I look forward to screwing myself because the controls are marginally different to accommodate the jump button.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

TwoQuestions posted:

Between this and not making it out of Silver back when Overwatch was a thing, I'm beginning to suspect I may have some sort of motor issue.

Maybe trying Sekiro or one of the DS games might be fun.

My partner is a lifelong bronzie and beat BB and DS3 start to finish. Never give up!

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
How about those jailers who look at you and your health melts in Irithyll dungeon...

acksplode
May 17, 2004

TwoQuestions posted:

I think it's just that Sekiro either clicks or it doesn't, and if it clicks it's lodged permanently in your muscle memory. Getting the attack-parry flow down and figuring out how to counter perilous attacks was like learning how to ride a bike for me -- struggle that goes nowhere and feels pointless until your nervous system finally executes the correct motions reliably in response to the appropriate stimulus, and the reward is so viscerally satisfying that you never forget it. Maybe practice a bit more on basic enemies? One fun thing to do is to try taking them down only with parries and deathblows, that'll teach you how effective parries are and give you a better feel for timing. Also post in the Sekiro thread, the crowd there enjoys nothing more than advising and cheerleading new players through the game.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I hope Elden Ring has better capes. In the Souls games if I want a tastefully understated cape it has to be attached to some dumbass giant armor and ruins my Gray Mouser costume.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i’d like to circle back to the offhand comment that apparently sekiro wipes your save if you go a few days without playing it

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Impermanent posted:

Sekiro I don't think is actually that hard even so much as it is contrary to most of what other souls games teach you and is therefore extremely perplexing for vets

Yeah, Sekiro has the aggression of Bloodborne, minus the flexibiity to keep trying different weapons until you get something that feels right, or the ability to grind up stats then go completely apeshit, over and over, until you eventually prevail through statistical inevitability. If you're not a consummate Murder Murder Revolution professional with The. Sword. Sekiro will punish you so hard and it's why it's the modern From title I liked my time with the least, even though it's masterfully designed. I'm a Chris Farleyesque spaz and that's how I want to play; learning to thrive within the rigid framework it presented felt way more like mastering a job I don't like than play.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

i’d like to circle back to the offhand comment that apparently sekiro wipes your save if you go a few days without playing it

Hesitation is defeat

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I wish there was a multiplayer Sekiro.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

I beat Sekiro and I have no idea what this person is talking about

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i'm pretty sure they're just saying they get so out of shape they feel like the only way to get unstuck is to start over. i hope.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
The record of my shame was definitely still present on my playstation when I came back after a six month break.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Groovelord Neato posted:

A thousand Sekiros, all parrying each other infinitely, forever

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Shrine of Amana got heavily nerfed in an early patch. The original version was loving insane.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Rock band was great op.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Colonel Whitey posted:

A thousand Sekiros, all parrying each other infinitely, forever

Every match turns into that one Daigo video

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Brandfarlig posted:

Every match turns into that one Daigo video

Yes! YES!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

GodFish posted:

I really wonder how people play these games when stuff like the clowncar door can be easily handled by: using the explosives right next to the door or backing up to the narrow hallway about one inch away from the door you just came in by to force them into single file where they can be take out with little to no trouble if you've been remotely keeping up on upgrading your weapon (there is even a blacksmith thirty feet away from this room). Do people just insist on standing in one place and fight everything at once?

The game, IMO, wasn't designed around you fighting 5-6 enemies at once. You can bait the ones down the stairs and you'll get 3 running at you most times. The room to the left there's 5 that will come rushing out and hopefully you can run out to the ledge to get them one at a time but it's still overwhelming and the majority will just rush in trying it out a couple times. Plus their greatswords have some pretty crazy reach.

There is no other encounters like that in the game too. The ninja knights in Iron Keep aren't all that bad and more spaced out - plus by that point you should be okay with 2-3 shotting them.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Shrine of Amana got heavily nerfed in an early patch. The original version was loving insane.

Yeah it was like playing a shooter, sniping those casters from behind cover. Their tracking was insane. Now you can more or less just run up and kill em

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

I didn't think it wiped my save, it's that my muscle memory would vanish.

The reason I thought it wiped story was Dragonrot, I thought it killed people permanently if you didn't Git Gud fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

TwoQuestions posted:

The reason I thought it wiped story was Dragonrot, I thought it killed people permanently if you didn't Git Gud fast enough.

It really does sound that way from how the game describes it, but it's nowhere near that bad. No one ever dies from Dragonrot, they just get a bad cough that blocks dialogue necessary for side quests. You can ignore Dragonrot until you need to make progress on a side quest, then spend one dragon's blood and clear all of it away. Spend dragon's blood like that, only when necessary, and you'll start piling it up.