Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

that’s exactly what i use and have zero complaints

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH
I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHERFUCKIN' XENOS
ON THIS MOTHERFUCKIN' SPACE HULK

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I could use some tips on painting very pale flesh as I work on my Delaque gang - like a goth "I wear 100 SPF sunscreen all day every day" white with slight blue tint. All the tutorials out there seem to specify very specific paint pots for doing it, and I don't have them on hand. What I do have is a bunch of blue paints and some very nice white paints of varying consistancy.

I've already primed the heads white, my thought to go from there is to use a very light blue and do a thin layer of blue, follow it up with a small amount of slightly darker blue ink in recesses and then do a thin white coat over top of both of those, then touch up a few spots with dabs of white where I want less blue showing through.

Think this would work?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
That sounds like it should work. I do suggest doing a test head or two if you're not confident. You should have a bunch of extra heads still on the sprue you can just leave on there but paint up to find a recipe you like.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Before you try layering maybe try mixing a few drops to get the base color you want first? Or yeah just use some scrap sprues or extra bits to test different combos.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

It's a bit rough because I did too many layers trying to get the colors to come out the way I wanted, but now that I've got the first one done the rest should come out nicer.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

WIP on this mdf Necromunda terrain. Finished stenciling all the hazard stripes, still gotta put in a few more stencils and touchups here and there. After this, gonna oil wash and varnish.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Those yellow / orange gradients look beautiful

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

chin up everything sucks posted:

It's a bit rough because I did too many layers trying to get the colors to come out the way I wanted, but now that I've got the first one done the rest should come out nicer.

Nice Uncle Fester impersonation on the thumbnail.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

PoptartsNinja posted:

You're putting tiny shards of resin/plastic/metal in the air, you don't want to be breathing that in if you can help it.

An N95 particulate mask will do nicely, and it'll do double duty if you get wildfire smoke. You'll also want eye protection to be thorough with the personal protection (be thorough).

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Tenchrono posted:

Two players armies at a GT I just did, ultramarines Gundams and Mario Kart themed Ork buggies:

The Gudamarines are cool. But those MariOrks loving rule. I hope they tore the marines to bite sized bits.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I read that as "Maori Orks" and thought there's probably a respectful way to do it but gently caress if I'd know how.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Painted my first tank and I'm pretty pleased with the end result. Ignore the cross-eyed side guns (lining up magnets is difficult) and random splotches of paint (I'll slap some nurgle's rot on after I varnish).

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

nice and nurgley!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Every year as a kid, my mom put out her little miniature Christmas village. So I would take my army miniatures and invade it. I've made her a set of her own to invade, since I'm 3000 miles away:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
well that's adorable

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
need a black tempalr brutally murdering the baby jesus

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is that you Hugh?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is that you Hugh?

Either that's a quote I don't get, or you have mistaken me for someone else.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
10mm troll

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Either that's a quote I don't get, or you have mistaken me for someone else.

I was mostly saying whatever that is looks kinda Borg-y

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

i love this god drat you

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I know people here like Michigan Toy Soldier. It's looking like the owner of Mich Toy harrased a woman worker and painting streamer to the point she quit working at the store. Some painters are dropping them as sponsors.

This is purportedly a run down of her experiences there. Content warning for sexual harassment.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kFTkITo9fss1VESh7u7uzqlGH6iDnSeXtBeTs-dt5Ew/edit?usp=drivesdk

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished my Deathwatch Ancient of the Crimson Fists!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Man, his knife should totally have these runes instead:

ᛒᛗᚠ

you know, for bad motherfucker

But it rules otherwise

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Man, his knife should totally have these runes instead:

ᛒᛗᚠ

you know, for bad motherfucker

But it rules otherwise

Omg. Now I hate that I didn't do this.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
trying to get better with highlights and color in general

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 18, 2021

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Picked up some LED tea lights for my terrain. They're great, with remote controls that can change the color. Going to magnetize them for easy attachment and removal.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

That's given me a great idea for a future drop pod build so thanks (also the terrain looks rad)!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Verisimilidude posted:

Picked up some LED tea lights for my terrain. They're great, with remote controls that can change the color. Going to magnetize them for easy attachment and removal.

make some barrels out of old pill bottles and shove those lights in them

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I've been painting some old Skaven miniatures to maybe use as a Mordheim warband or something. I'm pretty pleased with the results so far, although I'm still trying to get the hang of using Blood for the Blood God. Please forgive the general dustiness of my shelf and the badness of my photography:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Do you guys ever go back to some of your old models and do touch-ups after you complete an army or get better at a technique or something?

I've improved a bit over the past year and some of the minis I started at the beginning of the year are looking not as great as the stuff I'm doing now.

A majority of my space marines don't even have eyes, because I was too chicken poo poo to even try them until probably the last 4 characters.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 19, 2021

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

punishedkissinger posted:

trying to get better with highlights and color in general

Love it! Snail cartographer is a fine miniature that I have one of myself

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

Do you guys ever go back to some of your old models and do touch-ups after you complete an army or get better at a technique or something?

I've improved a bit over the past year and some of the minis I started at the beginning of the year are looking not as great as the stuff I'm doing now.

A majority of my space marines don't even have eyes, because I was too chicken poo poo to even try them until probably the last 4 characters.

I prefer new hotness models to my old stuff so personally I haven't gone back and redone anything BUT I'm also only newly back for I guess just before the pandemic started so maybe after more years back I'll change my mind.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
ive been thinking about going back and doing touch ups only because over the course of painting several units I've adjusted my colour scheme slightly and developed some better techniques, or just want to amp up the contrast

but maybe it's best to leave it, I dunno

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's your plastic you can do what you want with it!

I don't think it's a bad idea to leave a model here and there alone to serve as milestones in your artistic development if you do decide to touch up or repaint.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
In general I try and leave anything I've assembled and painted as it ended up, as sort of a progress chart. If there's something I just can't stand to the point I feel like going back and fixing it, I just strip the whole thing and start from scratch.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I very very rarely touch something once I say it's Done. But if I do then it's likely rebasing or something that doesn't really involve painting the model. I like to keep everything as a marker of how I'm getting better, even if it means that a squad of crisis suits have a varying level of quality, or slightly different color tones because I found that VMC Steel makes leadbelcher obsolete.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I very very rarely touch something once I say it's Done. But if I do then it's likely rebasing or something that doesn't really involve painting the model. I like to keep everything as a marker of how I'm getting better, even if it means that a squad of crisis suits have a varying level of quality, or slightly different color tones because I found that VMC Steel makes leadbelcher obsolete.

I just want to check, is that 70.864 Natural Steel? I'm starting to really dislike the metallics I have and looking to replace them with paints that are accessible at my local Hobby store. Turns out they have an entire range of VMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AndyElusive posted:

I just want to check, is that 70.864 Natural Steel? I'm starting to really dislike the metallics I have and looking to replace them with paints that are accessible at my local Hobby store. Turns out they have an entire range of VMC.

It's Vallejo metal color steel 77.712

Not model color