Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Psycho Society posted:

Getting together some paints and general knowledge before I start on this miniatures thing. What's the best varnish to use on metals? If I only get one varnish for now, should I go for satin or matte? I'm planning on using regular non-contrast paints and a couple vallejo metal colors.

Any gloss varnish should do it for protection. But it will be gloss, so you’ll want a matt varnish to paint over thst to take away the glossy sheen. But matt varnish alone gives much less protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You can just use two layers of matte varnish too. There's no inherent weakness of finish.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Psycho Society posted:

Getting together some paints and general knowledge before I start on this miniatures thing. What's the best varnish to use on metals? If I only get one varnish for now, should I go for satin or matte? I'm planning on using regular non-contrast paints and a couple vallejo metal colors.

Are you brushing on or looking for a spray can recommendation? I personally use a rattlecan of gloss car varnish from for protection, then a coat of plasticote matt to take the shine off, but at the end of the day the finish is personal preference. I like matt as gently caress, other people like a bit of a shine. Literally any varnish will do tbh, regardless of what the model is made of (the varnish after all goes over the paint, not the metal) and really regardless of what acrylic paint you are using. I go with shop own brand car lacquer because a big can is cheap and theres a Halfords within walking distance of me I can pick up more when I need it.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
what’s the ikea lamp everyone likes

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Eej posted:

2 lovely IKEA Tertial's with good bulbs is enough for any hobbyist though

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Having an issue and I'm wondering if it's normal or I'm doing something wrong.

I'm zenithal priming with liquitex white ink, but it's not fixed in place well. If I put paint on it, then return with the brush while that paint is still wet to push it around, there's a chance the ink lifts off. Am I supposed to protect the ink with something?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

you may be not leaving enough time between applying your primer and ink

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Inks need longer to set than traditional acrylic paints. Beyond that, I almost always slap a satin layer over top of the prime/zenithal white ink.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

How much time should there be? I think there was about 3 hours between prime -> ink and 4 hours from ink -> actual painting.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
I usually give 24 hours after a prime using polyurethane and an airbrush, but I do slap the ink on as part of that process. Maybe I'm weirdly conservative?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Eediot Jedi posted:

How much time should there be? I think there was about 3 hours between prime -> ink and 4 hours from ink -> actual painting.

I find that if I paint over ink on the same day it's ok as long as my brush is loaded with paint. If you're dragging settling acrylic paint over the ink then you will lift it off.

Varnish layer works fine if you want to work on it right away but I guess you'll need a day for ink? I would think that 4 hours is enough but if you're lifting ink still then I guess not.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

SiKboy posted:

Are you brushing on or looking for a spray can recommendation? I personally use a rattlecan of gloss car varnish from for protection, then a coat of plasticote matt to take the shine off, but at the end of the day the finish is personal preference. I like matt as gently caress, other people like a bit of a shine. Literally any varnish will do tbh, regardless of what the model is made of (the varnish after all goes over the paint, not the metal) and really regardless of what acrylic paint you are using. I go with shop own brand car lacquer because a big can is cheap and theres a Halfords within walking distance of me I can pick up more when I need it.

Probably going to brush for now, but maybe I'll pick up some spray varnish if that gets too tedious. Thanks for the info everyone

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Eej posted:

I find that if I paint over ink on the same day it's ok as long as my brush is loaded with paint. If you're dragging settling acrylic paint over the ink then you will lift it off.

That's probably it. I'm not very patient.

Almost got 8 BSF cultists from unprimed to table top standard today :feelsgood:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

John Romero posted:

I've got two of these flanking my painting booth.

They are adequate I guess, but they're a little flimsy and can easily be knocked over. Like if you accidentally tap it with your colossal Airbrush cleaner bottle, for example.

I like that it has a USB port so that I can charge my phone. And all the USB ports on my PC are occupied so I actually use these to charge my Index controllers as well

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

John Romero posted:

I have two Ikea Tertials and these light bulbs

Here's the setup

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Another ganger for the pile. Most happy with how the skin came out, I'm loving this formula.

Start with a base of black and zenithal with daler rowny flesh tint ink.
Then, wash the skin with a mix of Guilliman Flesh + Magos Purple + Contrast Medium.
Highlight with watered down AP Barbarian Flesh, and increase the highlights with Vallejo Ivory.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Verisimilidude posted:

I have two Ikea Tertials and these light bulbs

Here's the setup

Mine like this if you put a firecracker in like 10 pots of paint and set them off.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Verisimilidude posted:

Another ganger for the pile. Most happy with how the skin came out, I'm loving this formula.

Start with a base of black and zenithal with daler rowny flesh tint ink.
Then, wash the skin with a mix of Guilliman Flesh + Magos Purple + Contrast Medium.
Highlight with watered down AP Barbarian Flesh, and increase the highlights with Vallejo Ivory.

This is great and I love how vibrant your reds are, the black leather is very crisp. For criticism, my attention gets drawn to the OSL gun or the red of the beast plate then down to the pants stripe, or the red of the hammer, I have to fight to come back to the face which should be a focal point. I think the face could use more zenithal to keep more color, and the hair could use a new spot colour.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Does anyone make a spray of 4BO or whatever passes for Russian military green? I'm 3d printing a Team Yankee army and want to make things easy on myself.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Well I thought this looked nice until I took pictures!

a) The ... belly teeth (?) were difficult because I was fighting my brushes. Didn't have one that could keep a sharp enough tip which is frustrating. I'm trying to stick with synthetics but it's starting to feel limiting. Took two tries to wind up with this and it's the part of the model I dislike the most. It's a shame because the sculpt is great but I couldn't do it justice.
b) Volumetric highlighting is dang hard for me. I took three attempts on the cloak and this last one is barely even noticeable.
c) Pink nurglings are gross. I think I like it.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Eediot Jedi posted:

This is great and I love how vibrant your reds are, the black leather is very crisp. For criticism, my attention gets drawn to the OSL gun or the red of the beast plate then down to the pants stripe, or the red of the hammer, I have to fight to come back to the face which should be a focal point. I think the face could use more zenithal to keep more color, and the hair could use a new spot colour.

You’re probably right. The photo is also not quite focused where it should be (it’s focused on the hammer rather than the face) and the positioning of the pistol hand somewhat obscures his face as well. His skin also isn’t as vibrant as the other colors present, making it less eye catching. I’ll take another look at it and see what I can do.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Verisimilidude posted:

You’re probably right. The photo is also not quite focused where it should be (it’s focused on the hammer rather than the face) and the positioning of the pistol hand somewhat obscures his face as well. His skin also isn’t as vibrant as the other colors present, making it less eye catching. I’ll take another look at it and see what I can do.

I think if his head was more like his bicep on the hammer arm it'd be fine, it's just there's too much super dark, so the transition from dark to light is too condensed to read. Your photography is on point too, I haven't got a decent picture of my dudes yet.

Anyhow the other week I complained about not having a decent imperial purple contrast. Turns out you've gotta go the long way with ultramarine blue, let it dry, then volupus pink, let it dry, gets you to purple, then maybe a thin blood angels red glaze to give it more life. Flesh tearer -> volupus makes a great deep red/burgandry. Basilicanum grey -> plague bearer flesh makes a good guardsmen gun/armour green, if you use the grey for poor man's nmn it's a very quick gun. There is already a colour for that but I'm enjoying mixing contrasts way too much. Tinting skeleton horde or snake bite leather for variety in rags is also cool.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Aranan posted:

Still looks nice.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Aranan posted:

a) The ... belly teeth (?) were difficult because I was fighting my brushes. Didn't have one that could keep a sharp enough tip which is frustrating. I'm trying to stick with synthetics but it's starting to feel limiting. Took two tries to wind up with this and it's the part of the model I dislike the most. It's a shame because the sculpt is great but I couldn't do it justice.
b) Volumetric highlighting is dang hard for me. I took three attempts on the cloak and this last one is barely even noticeable.
c) Pink nurglings are gross. I think I like it.

I'm not seeing the problems you're seeing tbh. I think it looks good! The camera is a lot harsher than the eye is, plus no-one is every going to hold your figures close enough to their face that they are the same apparent size they are on the screen. When I take picture of my models I make them roughly a third of the size of this one, and I STILL see multiple things I dont like. Trick is to just accept thats always going to happen and remember that no-one else is ever going to look at it as critically as you do. Armour and metals look good and grody, belly teeth look fine, pink nurgling looks squishy and gross. Were you using a zenithal highlight? Because a zenithal then thin paints (or contrast paints) is the easiest way to cheat yourself volumetric lighting (assuming that is what I think it is). Dont think it'd make a different on the armour (metallics are so opaque enough in my experience that the zenithal makes gently caress all difference there) but if you are getting frustrated with the cloak it could be worth trying in future.

If I'm looking to be critical, Personally I'd highlight the shoulder bone eruption thing a little more, but on the other hand that might draw focus from the face. It just reads a little woody instead of boney to me from the picture (being fully aware it might be different in person). I'd also throw a(nother?) wash over the cape. It currently looks faded, but with the armour being so grody I feel like it'd be more grubby than that. Both of these things are nit picky and you should feel free to ignore them

And look, I'm a big proponent of "keep it inexpensive, buy cheap synthetic brushes by the gross and use them like you stole them" (I do have a half decent real hair brush and... Honestly the only difference it makes to me personally is that I get irrationally anxious that I'm loving it up. I find it much more relaxing to use brushes where they were like 10 for £3 off wish or somewhere), but if you are finding them limiting, why are you sticking with them? Multiple other people in this thread have said that they find real hair brushes much better, and you are getting frustrated with your tools, it might be time to spring for a decent brush. Unless this self imposed restriction is a vegan thing in which case, I got nothing. Except to note that all detail brushes have a limited lifespan as a detail brush. If they arent keeping a point good enough any more, sounds like its time to downgrade them to basecoat brushes, or drybrushes/basing PVA brushes if they are getting real bad and get some new ones.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Is that pink fleshy mass being spawned from the vent, or a nurgling making GBS threads down the exhaust?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Painted a seeker of Slaneesh. That velociraptor anteater mount is adorable :kiddo:

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Geisladisk posted:

Painted a seeker of Slaneesh. That velociraptor anteater mount is adorable :kiddo:

I imagine they make this sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITcYKKwXPwo

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Arven posted:

Does anyone make a spray of 4BO or whatever passes for Russian military green? I'm 3d printing a Team Yankee army and want to make things easy on myself.

Vallejo has a "Russian Green 4BO" spray paint, IIRC.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Xpost from the Oath thread. I'm pretty happy with how this batch turned out!

Zark the Damned posted:

Oath Complete!

Jack Burton in the closest rendition I could get of his Fu Manchu shirt. Challenge is the shirt, also claiming Rescue Ranger per the oath post.

A set of Regimental Advisors supporting the Imperial Army. Claiming the Daily Double for the Astropath on the left with his Shiny (Feb) staff and Blended (May) cloak.

Notrek and Faulix looking for adventure in the frozen city.

A pair of notable Heroes for a fledgling SPQR Gaul warband.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Arven posted:

You can get an airbrush primer of it from Vallejo, or try Krylon ultraflat camoflague Olive in a rattlecan.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Vallejo has a "Russian Green 4BO" spray paint, IIRC.

I feel dumb, I swear I googled this last night before I posted and couldn't find it. Vallejo must have been the magic keyword.

moths posted:

You can get an airbrush primer of it from Vallejo, or try Krylon ultraflat camoflague Olive in a rattlecan.

I had already checked out Rustoleum camo and couldn't find the right color but Krylon looks a lot more promising. Thanks!

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

SiKboy posted:

I'm not seeing the problems you're seeing tbh. I think it looks good! The camera is a lot harsher than the eye is, plus no-one is every going to hold your figures close enough to their face that they are the same apparent size they are on the screen. When I take picture of my models I make them roughly a third of the size of this one, and I STILL see multiple things I dont like. Trick is to just accept thats always going to happen and remember that no-one else is ever going to look at it as critically as you do. Armour and metals look good and grody, belly teeth look fine, pink nurgling looks squishy and gross. Were you using a zenithal highlight? Because a zenithal then thin paints (or contrast paints) is the easiest way to cheat yourself volumetric lighting (assuming that is what I think it is). Dont think it'd make a different on the armour (metallics are so opaque enough in my experience that the zenithal makes gently caress all difference there) but if you are getting frustrated with the cloak it could be worth trying in future.

If I'm looking to be critical, Personally I'd highlight the shoulder bone eruption thing a little more, but on the other hand that might draw focus from the face. It just reads a little woody instead of boney to me from the picture (being fully aware it might be different in person). I'd also throw a(nother?) wash over the cape. It currently looks faded, but with the armour being so grody I feel like it'd be more grubby than that. Both of these things are nit picky and you should feel free to ignore them

And look, I'm a big proponent of "keep it inexpensive, buy cheap synthetic brushes by the gross and use them like you stole them" (I do have a half decent real hair brush and... Honestly the only difference it makes to me personally is that I get irrationally anxious that I'm loving it up. I find it much more relaxing to use brushes where they were like 10 for £3 off wish or somewhere), but if you are finding them limiting, why are you sticking with them? Multiple other people in this thread have said that they find real hair brushes much better, and you are getting frustrated with your tools, it might be time to spring for a decent brush. Unless this self imposed restriction is a vegan thing in which case, I got nothing. Except to note that all detail brushes have a limited lifespan as a detail brush. If they arent keeping a point good enough any more, sounds like its time to downgrade them to basecoat brushes, or drybrushes/basing PVA brushes if they are getting real bad and get some new ones.
Thanks for the comments. It does look pretty nice, imo, from 3' away which is really my goal so I shouldn't focus on the insane detail level. I'll leave that to other posters here.

I wasn't using zenithal here -- the armor was Deathguard Green -> Creed Camo wash -> Screaming Skull drybrush -> 1:1 Nazdreg Yellow:Militarum Green wash. I tried to focus the drybrush on the upper areas, so functionally I guess it serves a similar purpose. But that was just on the green parts. The purple cloak didn't receive the same treatment. Maybe I'll mess around with the recipe I'm using and try to replicate the almost-white highlights tinted with a wash.

I agree that the shoulder bone protrusion definitely reads as wood as it currently is. It was a mistake and I probably should go back and touch it up. The Aggaros Dunes I put on there was way too heavy. I have another model with a shoulder bone spike that looks better and I think the reason is I just was lighter with the application there so I could build it up on the lower half.

As for brushes, I was trying to hunt down some of the kolinsky sable brushes for a bit. There was an import ban on that particular type of hair in the states, so I started looking into it and it just made me a little uncomfortable. I'm no vegan by any stretch, but... I dunno. I figured I'd stick with synthetics a little longer and see if I could make them work. I should just batch buy a bunch of them like you suggested.

Pierzak posted:

Is that pink fleshy mass being spawned from the vent, or a nurgling making GBS threads down the exhaust?
I initially thought it was just hitching a ride with a plague bro, but now I'm going with "it's making GBS threads down the exhaust" for sure.

AndyElusive posted:

Still looks nice.
Much appreciated. This is my third model that isn't just "slap a bunch of contrast on it in 5 minutes" so it's reassuring to hear it was worth the time.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Gonna take my Dremel and grind on some of my models; i have heard that you should wear a mask when grinding models. Is that for resin only or any material?
If my models are all recent GW models (nothing forgeworld) then they are all plastic right?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I've been using a banged up store test model #2 Winsor and Newton Series 7 for the last year and I've been taking good care of it and it still holds a point no problem.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Ineptitude posted:

Gonna take my Dremel and grind on some of my models; i have heard that you should wear a mask when grinding models. Is that for resin only or any material?
If my models are all recent GW models (nothing forgeworld) then they are all plastic right?

You're putting tiny shards of resin/plastic/metal in the air, you don't want to be breathing that in if you can help it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Been on a bit of a tear the last couple of weeks for some reason, heres the highlights. All Malifaux figures, as per. Been doing odds and sods that round out some already painted crews rather than any new crews.

The Guild Steward/Governors Proxy. ebay rescue, was missing a hand when I got him. Actually, technically had both hands, but one hand was missing all but one finger, so it got amputated and replaced.

Two Goryo for the Resurrectionists. As an aside, these were two of the worst models to build I've ever encountered in my drat life. After I built them they had to sit in the pile of shame for about 4 months until the memory of the frustration somewhat faded and I could bear to look at them again. Fun enough to paint in the end though!

Two Scavengers for Leviticus' outcast group. By contrast these were practically push-fit, went together like a dream.

Arcanists, Union Miners from the Miners and Steam-Fitters Union.

And lastly, from the Arcanist Foundry faction Neil Henry and Willie the Demolitionist.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Two players armies at a GT I just did, ultramarines Gundams and Mario Kart themed Ork buggies:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
what do people like for Gloss Varnish that can be airbrushed? I've had really good results with Mr Color Super Gloss but something cheaper and higher volume would be nice.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tenchrono posted:

Two players armies at a GT I just did, ultramarines Gundams and Mario Kart themed Ork buggies:

Close the thread, it ain't getting any better than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

punishedkissinger posted:

what do people like for Gloss Varnish that can be airbrushed? I've had really good results with Mr Color Super Gloss but something cheaper and higher volume would be nice.

I've never used it, but Vallejo makes something for airbrushes:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AHD6F2W/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_DHFHW8QCNT0K1ZSB3VSY