Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

nwin posted:

Lump charcoal recommendations?

I’ve used kingsford briquettes for all my smokes in my WSM and it’s fine for the short cooks but during the long cooks it gets pretty ashy. I’ve heard lump results in less ash and royal oak was an ok brand.

I bought a bag for a pork shoulder tonight and it looks like wood chips with a few chunks in it. I’ve got a full bag of kingsford just in case and will probably try the royal oak tonight anyways, but I have a feeling I’ll be refueling at 2 am with how tiny these chips are. I was imagining like decent size chunks the size of my fist.

Royal Oak is great and available at like RD and LowesDepot. RockWood is excellent but hard to find out East, Fogo is easy to order if you’re feeling lazy but $$$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Zarin posted:

Trying to find not-Traeger pellets locally is difficult as hell, it turns out.

I'm west of Chicago and it seems everyone has dumped their inventory for the year. I want to cold smoke some cheese, and picked up one of those pellet tubes, but sourcing the pellets is turning into a real trick.

Is there an easy way to cold smoke with wood chips? I have plenty of those lying around, and those are easy as hell to find still. I saw the little fireboxes that had an image of using chips on the label, but i'm not sure if chips will sustain a smolder the same way pellets will.

I'm going to go to Menard's to look at Christmas lights tonight, so if I have to just suck it up and get Traeger pellets I will. But all my research suggests that there's a lot better stuff out there. I figure I'll start ordering online tonight, but since I wanted to try and cold smoke some cheese for Thanksgiving, now is the best time to do it so it has time to sit in the fridge, vacuum-sealed.

Lowes in the SW suburbs have pit boss pellets 40lb/$16

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Orvin posted:

My local Ace is reporting a few varieties of Weber pellets available for pickup today on the Ace website. So you might try looking up some of your local Ace’s online to see what they may have in stock. But it was mostly Traeger stuff.

Thank you! It looks like there's one that's about 20 minutes away that might even have CookinPellets (can't tell 100% from the website) but they seem to have a better selection of pellets than my local Ace (which is almost 100% Traeger). If I'm able to get out before they close at 6pm, I may make the drive.

I will say that my Weber chips that I got from my local Ace have been fantastic. I'm still trying to dial in how to "read" my MES-130b, but it seems like "fewer chips, more frequently, for the first 4-5 hours" is the play. I have to say that I now truly understand the value of an autoloader. Maybe when I get out of the Apartment Life in the next few years . . .

Orvin posted:

That does look pretty good. I will probably order one of those. Bonus that extra probes are on a 35% off sale, so I can get an extra meat probe for slightly less. Since it looks like the base smoke comes with one meat and one grill temp probe. I figure a second meat probe is a good idea for a second meat or a backup.

I ended up going with the slightly cheaper ThermoPro TP20 - and I've only used it for a couple weeks so I'm not a reliable source by any means - but it's been pretty great:
https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Wireless-Digital-Cooking-Thermometer/dp/B01GE77QT0

Amazon hosed up and ended up sending me two of them (delivered the first one to the wrong address; we could tell because the image from the delivery email was most assuredly NOT our apartment building, so Amazon corrected it by sending us another - but apparently some good samaritan dropped the original off a week later) and I have to say that being able to monitor pit temp and the temp on multiple meats is a pretty big win here.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Lowes in the SW suburbs have pit boss pellets 40lb/$16

The video I was watching suggested that Traeger and Pit Boss were on the same tier :(

I do realize that this is a "me" problem for not doing my homework ahead of time and just ordering online. I'll correct that tonight, but I was really hoping to cold smoke today/tomorrow with the pellet tube so I could vac seal and fridge some cheese in time for appetizers on Thanksgiving.

. . . which, I ALSO didn't realize I wanted to do until my Thanksgiving plans changed earlier this week. :sigh:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

nwin posted:

I’ve used kingsford briquettes for all my smokes in my WSM and it’s fine for the short cooks but during the long cooks it gets pretty ashy. I’ve heard lump results in less ash and royal oak was an ok brand.

I bought a bag for a pork shoulder tonight and it looks like wood chips with a few chunks in it. I’ve got a full bag of kingsford just in case and will probably try the royal oak tonight anyways, but I have a feeling I’ll be refueling at 2 am with how tiny these chips are. I was imagining like decent size chunks the size of my fist.

Fogo

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Zarin posted:

Trying to find not-Traeger pellets locally is difficult as hell, it turns out.

I'm west of Chicago and it seems everyone has dumped their inventory for the year. I want to cold smoke some cheese, and picked up one of those pellet tubes, but sourcing the pellets is turning into a real trick.

Is there an easy way to cold smoke with wood chips? I have plenty of those lying around, and those are easy as hell to find still. I saw the little fireboxes that had an image of using chips on the label, but i'm not sure if chips will sustain a smolder the same way pellets will.

I'm going to go to Menard's to look at Christmas lights tonight, so if I have to just suck it up and get Traeger pellets I will. But all my research suggests that there's a lot better stuff out there. I figure I'll start ordering online tonight, but since I wanted to try and cold smoke some cheese for Thanksgiving, now is the best time to do it so it has time to sit in the fridge, vacuum-sealed.

The Dick’s Sporting Goods by me stocks Lumberjack pellets.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

rockcity posted:

The Dick’s Sporting Goods by me stocks Lumberjack pellets.

Hell yeah; seems there is a Dick's about 15 mins away, so maybe I'll check them out.

The website claims they only have the "Competition Blend" in stock, but it sounds like Traeger has almost zero flavor overall so it should at least hold me over for the interim.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
The ThermoWorks Smoke is awesome and CookinPellets are available on Amazon.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I buy the Amazon pellets. If you're hard up to smoke tonight though I'd guess anything will do and I wouldn't worry about the pellets not having enough flavor. You'll do fine.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Zarin posted:

Hell yeah; seems there is a Dick's about 15 mins away, so maybe I'll check them out.

The website claims they only have the "Competition Blend" in stock, but it sounds like Traeger has almost zero flavor overall so it should at least hold me over for the interim.

Yeah, I think that’s all they stock in store, but that’s a good blend and their price is pretty good too.

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008

nwin posted:

I recommend trying B&B briquettes or char logs, they're a nice middle ground between the Kingsford and going all the way to lump. They're bigger and less ashy than the Kingsford, and more consistently sized and easier to measure out than the lump.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
spent too much on a brisket. turned out great

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hed posted:

Royal Oak is great and available at like RD and LowesDepot. RockWood is excellent but hard to find out East, Fogo is easy to order if you’re feeling lazy but $$$

Are the small pieces in royal oak fairly common? I was expecting actual lumps, but I got mainly chips and a few lumps.

I filled up the WSM 18.5” with 4 chunks of cherry wood and the rest royal oak.

At 40 degrees outside overnight, temp maintained 235 for 9 hours before running out of fuel. I’ve refilled it and it’s going strong.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I typically get mostly big chunks, but there are more little pebbles in RO than those other two brands in my experience. If the whole bag was carbon kibble then that seems out of the ordinary.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Zarin posted:

The video I was watching suggested that Traeger and Pit Boss were on the same tier :(

I do realize that this is a "me" problem for not doing my homework ahead of time and just ordering online. I'll correct that tonight, but I was really hoping to cold smoke today/tomorrow with the pellet tube so I could vac seal and fridge some cheese in time for appetizers on Thanksgiving.

. . . which, I ALSO didn't realize I wanted to do until my Thanksgiving plans changed earlier this week. :sigh:

Do you have a link you could share? I've been using the pit boss competition blend for a couple of years and really like the flavor it gives. I sometimes get the lumberjack fruit tree pellets when they're on sale when I'm looking for something a little more subtle, so they might work well for cheese.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

nwin posted:

I really liked the weber briquettes but apparently they have been discontinued.

Kingsford blue bag briquettes aren't awful, they are uniform so if you want to do cooks or smokes with specific amounts of coals, like cast iron kettle cooking, then they are good for repeatability. Kingsford pro or hardwood briquettes are better if you can find them.

Lump works fine, mostly, but briquettes are better in a slow'n'sear just because it's much more predictable.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Wtf

My pork shoulder went to 197 and now dropped to 194…smoker temp is 245. It’s been wrapped in butcher paper since around 150-160.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Do you have a link you could share? I've been using the pit boss competition blend for a couple of years and really like the flavor it gives. I sometimes get the lumberjack fruit tree pellets when they're on sale when I'm looking for something a little more subtle, so they might work well for cheese.

Sure! I can't say for sure that he's right, of course, since I don't have enough experience with any of this yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXXiOa_gIFM

I've found his how-to videos to be pretty useful, and the comments mostly seem to agree with him (for whatever that's worth).

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Zarin posted:

Sure! I can't say for sure that he's right, of course, since I don't have enough experience with any of this yet:

I've found his how-to videos to be pretty useful, and the comments mostly seem to agree with him (for whatever that's worth).

Thanks, this definitely gave me some stuff to think about. Pit-boss pellets have worked well for me for flavor and I've had one auger jam in 2 years; according to pit-boss they don't use and additives or glues (https://pitboss-grills.com/products/pit-boss-40-lb-competition-blend-hardwood-pellets). Their fruit tree blends didn't work that well for me, and the mesquite was way too overbearing.

In any event, I love having this kind of info available. I think especially for pellet grills a lot of the variance we can introduce is from the pellets themselves, so it is nice to have other people looking at the quality of the fuel.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Zarin posted:

I want to try making this dude’s pastrami beef ribs at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM2UC8ahIQU

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 14, 2021

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Zarin posted:

I watched another video where a guy blind compared 6 brands with pork chops and Traeger I think was 5th place. Lumberjack and Bear Mountain ended up being the top two. I stocked up on Bear Mountain because Fleet Farm had a deal for two 20lb bags for $16.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Thanks, this definitely gave me some stuff to think about. Pit-boss pellets have worked well for me for flavor and I've had one auger jam in 2 years; according to pit-boss they don't use and additives or glues (https://pitboss-grills.com/products/pit-boss-40-lb-competition-blend-hardwood-pellets). Their fruit tree blends didn't work that well for me, and the mesquite was way too overbearing.

In any event, I love having this kind of info available. I think especially for pellet grills a lot of the variance we can introduce is from the pellets themselves, so it is nice to have other people looking at the quality of the fuel.

Good info, thanks! I'm probably overthinking things so there's that. Like others kinda said in earlier in the thread, figuring out whatever works for you and then replicating it is probably the way to go.

I just loaded up my first set of Lumberjack Competition pellets into a tube this evening to smoke some cheese; we'll see how it turns out. And I have a variety pack coming from CookinPellets.com so we'll have to see how that turns out as well.

I haven't found any info on this yet - is there a temp that is TOO cold for cold smoking? I think I'll probably be fine - it's about 35 out, but inside the smoker its reading 62, so I'm probably fine. But later in the winter if it's 35 inside the smoker, is that too cold? Or as long as smoke is being generated, everything is gonna work out fine?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Zarin posted:

I haven't found any info on this yet - is there a temp that is TOO cold for cold smoking? I think I'll probably be fine - it's about 35 out, but inside the smoker its reading 62, so I'm probably fine. But later in the winter if it's 35 inside the smoker, is that too cold? Or as long as smoke is being generated, everything is gonna work out fine?

Welp, nevermind; not sure this is ever going to matter. It's 36F outside and with no heat (outside of the little pellet tube) the inside of the smoker keeps creeping up to 80F. I've been trying different things in order to keep the temp down, but I'm not sure I'm going to win this battle.

I've put a bowl of ice in there now to try and moderate the temp, but I'm not sure if it's going to be enough. :ohdear:

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Crack the lid a touch?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

sterster posted:

Crack the lid a touch?

It's a minifridge-looking one, so no lid to crack. I did let it spend a few minutes with the door open to bring the temp of EVERYTHING on the inside down, and that seemed to buy me some time.

I probably got about 4 hours of good smoking in. Vac-sealed the cheese; I'll have to see how it turns out as an appetizer on Thanksgiving. (It does NOT taste good right now, but from the sounds of it that's pretty normal)

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Orvin posted:

That does look pretty good. I will probably order one of those. Bonus that extra probes are on a 35% off sale, so I can get an extra meat probe for slightly less. Since it looks like the base smoke comes with one meat and one grill temp probe. I figure a second meat probe is a good idea for a second meat or a backup.

If you haven't already ordered one, ThermoWorks has a two-day sale going for 30% off the Smoke.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

replacement MB 40 arrived. lets hope this one works when plugged in.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
So far, I've smoked:
• Boston Butt
• Spare Ribs
• Cheese

My wife wants to try some smoked veggies this weekend. I think we're going to do pulled pork for Thanksgiving (not my first choice heh, but it's what my dad wanted) . . .

So for this weekend, I'm not sure what to go with. I guess brisket is also popular, but I'm under the impression that it's pretty difficult to get right. What else is pretty easy/produces excellent results for the beginner?

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Zarin posted:

So far, I've smoked:
• Boston Butt
• Spare Ribs
• Cheese

My wife wants to try some smoked veggies this weekend. I think we're going to do pulled pork for Thanksgiving (not my first choice heh, but it's what my dad wanted) . . .

So for this weekend, I'm not sure what to go with. I guess brisket is also popular, but I'm under the impression that it's pretty difficult to get right. What else is pretty easy/produces excellent results for the beginner?

Brisket isn't that hard to cook, but you really need to start it the day before because it takes a long rear end time. Your can rest a brisket in a cooler for a couple hours, or wrapped in butcher paper in your oven on a keep warm setting for longer.

I've started my briskets around 7 or 8 am, pulled them around 12-2 am the next day, then rested in an oven for 12 or more hours depending on whether I'm serving up lunch or dinner.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Zarin posted:

What else is pretty easy/produces excellent results for the beginner?

I'd suggest Tom turkey legs. It only takes some curing math so you don't kill everyone. But other than that a couple hours smoke time and bam. Delicious turkey legs reminiscent of Renaissance festival or your local state fair. Hardest part is finding them. Good recipe on amazing ribs.com search Disney turkey legs.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

For shorter smokes (< 2 hours) I also like to do sausages (like brats or hot italian) and chicken thighs. I make large batches of either and turn leftovers into appetizers (sausage / cheese / crackers) or chicken soup.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Smoke them beans

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

toplitzin posted:

replacement MB 40 arrived. lets hope this one works when plugged in.

It lives!

Meats this weekend!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I smoked quartered redskin potatoes a week ago and they were goddamn delicious.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Interesting! Did you broil them to crisp the skins at all, or were they OK as-is? Seems like the kind of thing that would make a killer potato salad.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Interesting! Did you broil them to crisp the skins at all, or were they OK as-is? Seems like the kind of thing that would make a killer potato salad.

It was in my pellet smoker. I had them at 200 for an hour then bumped it to 375 for 30 minutes. Crisped up nice. Might be fun to try it at like 225 the whole way and go the potato salad route.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Zarin posted:

So far, I've smoked:
• Boston Butt
• Spare Ribs
• Cheese

Chicken for sure. Spatchcock a small one or do thighs. Short and hot so you get crispy skin too.

Pork belly is really easy too and amazing. I think I'm going to do some belly I have in the freezer and then wings again.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Zarin posted:

I'm still trying to dial in how to "read" my MES-130b, but it seems like "fewer chips, more frequently, for the first 4-5 hours" is the play. I have to say that I now truly understand the value of an autoloader. Maybe when I get out of the Apartment Life in the next few years . . .

Get yourself a AMAZEN tube/maze and don't use the MES chip thing at all. One tube/maze will last your whole cook.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I got a full packer brisket from Costco ($80...) and will be smoking it for Thanksgiving. I am thinking of starting it about 6pm Wed night. We are leaving at 2pm so that gives me about 20 hours. And I can always cooler it if it gets done early.

I am not sure how many pounds it is and can't look as I am at work.

Wife said they wanted me to smoke a turkey again but I could do brisket if I wanted... They are also doing a small deep fried turkey so brisket it is! Besides I need the leftovers for some Chili!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

For my MES, I put in as many woodchips as I can in the beginning, then if I'm feeling spicy I'll put in some more ~2 hours into the cook. That's about it. I make sure not to preheat before I put anything in. Works great for me, minimal babysitting.