Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Morpheus posted:

Even in the games where the world is actually ending (does that ever get resolved btw?), the plot isn't about the fact that the world is ending.

in shallie you find out the reason for the dusk is that humanity created a machine to suck up the water in the ocean and transfer it around the world as drinkable purified water, but they hosed up the design and the machine sucked up more water from the ocean than the ocean could actually generate, the spirit of water that was responsible for granting hte earth with water became embittered with humanity and ceased creation of it and the dusk is the aftermath. they decide to shut the machine off in hopes that the world can heal itself and the spirit of water will start providing them with water once again

GoGoGadget posted:

I don't know why, but I get really overwhelmed with time management. It prevented me from playing Lightning Returns, and it made me constantly reference guides during Persona 5. I don't like the idea of potentially missing things, I guess. So maybe I'll have to start with Shallie.

shallie is a bad game and the end of the dusk trilogy, it would be better in that case to start with ryza or one of the mysterious games since those are a bit more standalone than dusk. people like lydie & suelle

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dying on my 'Shallie is good' hill

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like the writing in shallie but the gameplay is an empty void and the pacing makes no sense, it's hard for me to enjoy engaging with any of the gameplay systems because it's the first mainline atelier game to try having a traditional structure without any time mechanics and it does nothing interesting to fill in for those so stripped of the outer context all of the alchemy mechanics start to just feel like tedious busywork instead of something you're actively having to consider in any interesting way. it's a decent end to the dusk trilogy but it's a really boring game

also just in general the alchemy systems feel grindier than ayesha or eschatology and are less fun to engage with, i never got a good handle on them compared to older games

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 16, 2021

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah but there's two girls and get this, they're both called Shallie!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yes the shallies are cool. the shallies are not my problem with atelier shallie!

i do think writing wise it's kinda weird that eschatology bothered to give you a choice between romantic and friendly stuff for escha & logy when the series at large goes all-in on them being a thing, and while ayesha and keith get some actually pretty sweet scenes it's kinda boring how the game plays the whole card of people freaking out about the idea of two characters being a thing so often after they all come in, but that's more minor compared to how much i don't enjoy playing shallie

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 16, 2021

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I liked Shallie but it was probably the weakest in the trilogy. Definitely had its flaws for sure though. (No Close to the Edge part 3.)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i do like it more than atelier annie at least just because the writing goes out on less of a fart and the game doesn't have one specific bit that perma dicks you over for no reason if you missed it

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I played Escha&Logy and had fun with it. It also didn't leave me feeling like I needed to pick up future Atelier games.

I think the thing I liked the most was how to maximize the crafting/gathering during the various time limits. What other games in the series do a good job with that aspect of the gameplay?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Zore posted:

I played Escha&Logy and had fun with it. It also didn't leave me feeling like I needed to pick up future Atelier games.

I think the thing I liked the most was how to maximize the crafting/gathering during the various time limits. What other games in the series do a good job with that aspect of the gameplay?

basically everything before escha & logy barring mana khemia and iris. even the really old ones are pretty fun, if a bit limited

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kinda on the fence about BR2, is the atmosphere really radically different from the first as people were implying or just lightened up a bit?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

atelier shartie

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

GoGoGadget posted:

Are these Atelier games any good? There aren't a lot of JRPGs on the PS5 and I've come across the title a few times while looking.

atelier gay

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
if you seen my posting history you know i mean that in the postive sense

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Hi RPG goons. There's an english translation of a Final Fantasy 6 rom hack that just came out and I'd really like to play it on my SNES mini. However I'm a baka gaijin and to dumb to get the translation file integrated or whatever. Could anybody help me with that? Once I figure that out HackChi makes it really easy to get the file on the SNES mini.

Here are pages with the two files.
http://tomato.fobby.net/ff6-t-edition/
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2175/

Thanks a ton for any help. FF6 is one of my all time favorites and I'm dying for a new twist on it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

loquacius posted:

I'm really enjoying Ryza personally, I like a good crafting subsystem and it's a lot of fun to play a game based around it entirely

Something that comes to mind as a criticism is that you get stuck in a crafting... stack sometimes

where you're like, okay, I want to craft this awesome new armor
oh no wait to make it I need more of this new magical crafting material and a bunch of new fancy metals
time to go grind this unique enemy until it actually coughs up its unique loot, ok now I'm back, time to make that crafting material
oh no wait to make it I need more of this other slightly older crafting material
time to go gather flowers for fifteen minutes or so, ok now I'm back, time to make that crafting material
oh no wait to make it I need more base metals
oh no wait to make those I need more base element tubes

and then as you go back up the stack you have to remember where in the process you were all over again, taking additional gathering breaks as necessary

but the thing is, though, I don't know whether I actually dislike that or if it's just proof I'm getting totally engrossed in the crafting system and putting forth thought and effort into it

yeah it owns

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what just like patching the rom? just download lunarips and apply it through that

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/240/

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

deoju posted:

Hi RPG goons. There's an english translation of a Final Fantasy 6 rom hack that just came out and I'd really like to play it on my SNES mini. However I'm a baka gaijin and to dumb to get the translation file integrated or whatever. Could anybody help me with that? Once I figure that out HackChi makes it really easy to get the file on the SNES mini.

Thanks a ton for any help. FF6 is one of my all time favorites and I'm dying for a new twist on it.
I'm not familiar with HackChi or the SNES Mini but I suspect you want http://www.romhacking.net/faq/?page=faq#question3

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Anyways I wrote up a hopefully-helpful guide to the series in the OP of the thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881471

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

deoju posted:

I wish I could help, but this brings up something I'd like to ask you. I have an SNES Mini, does hacking it so that you can put more games on it require a lot of updating and technical knowledge? I hacked my Switch a long time ago and somehow screwed it up so that it's just not working now (even though it used to) and so I'm a little hesitant to try.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Snooze Cruise posted:

if you seen my posting history you know i mean that in the postive sense

As someone wrote in the Lowtax memorial thread about old goons coming back from the 2000s to whine about not being able to say slurs:

Goons in the 2000s: this forum is dead(bad) and gay(bad)

Goons in the 2020s: this forum is dead(good) and gay(good)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Rascyc posted:

I'm not familiar with HackChi or the SNES Mini but I suspect you want http://www.romhacking.net/faq/?page=faq#question3

The Colonel posted:

what just like patching the rom? just download lunarips and apply it through that

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/240/

Thanks for the pointers. I'll give this a shot later tonight. :)

GoGoGadget posted:

I wish I could help, but this brings up something I'd like to ask you. I have an SNES Mini, does hacking it so that you can put more games on it require a lot of updating and technical knowledge? I hacked my Switch a long time ago and somehow screwed it up so that it's just not working now (even though it used to) and so I'm a little hesitant to try.
It's been a few years since I did it the first time, but I remember it being pretty easy. I searched and found this video tutorial that I thought was pretty good. Here's a recentish video tutorial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB3dJuJ7yQo

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Finished Ys 6 : Ark of Napishtim and moving on to Ys seven, and while 6 was really drat grindy it was pretty neat. Being the first of it's style the damage calculations lead to some severe level gating where I got to at least one boss being completely unable do damage them and having to grind for a while before actually having a chance. A funny thing about playing through them in number order, is that it means jumping around both timeline and release wise which is a it messy. Moving into seven I really miss the style of the sprite based ones, because it's the first 3d one and originally for the PSP so the limitations are visible, especially when you know what it evolves into with 4,8 and 9.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

7 is where the series goes downhill unfortunately. it's still relatively up-tempo but after seven it gets bogged down more and more in subsequent games to the point where there are side characters faster than Adol and all the exploding stackable buff gems are gone

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

most falcom fans I know tend to still consider 8 a high point, even the ones that basically gave up on them after the last few Trails games and nox

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I don't super love Seven as a game itself but like, having done my own chugging of the entire series this year, Lacrimosa is amazing, and while I can't say Nox is perfect, the worst I could say is it's at least mostly More Lacrimosa but with fun movement abilities.

No way in hell I'd call either 'going downhill'

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i highly dislike the direction Ys has gone in since seven. nox especially. pointless and boring tower defense segments, a bland environment, a rigid and repetitive loop. but the biggest problem for me is that it's just not the blazing fast carnage that Napishtim/Oath/Origin had. it's just an uptempo ARPG where you have to constantly switch to characters that aren't fun to play in order to do proper damage to enemies, which has been the problem I've had with all the games since and including Seven. i just want to be Adol, ripping through mobs like a tornado and fighting giant cool bosses with rad music

and that's along with a bunch of uninteresting characters that felt like Adol got shoved into a completely different debut IP. they had a world where every npc and character had new things to say throughout the story ala Trails, but nothing that was happening was interesting, and so nothing the NPCs said was interesting. lol

e: oh yeah also Nox had really boring bosses, like what the hell!!! they all reused the same boss music over and over too. booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i guess because it's party based they can't have the kind of boss and arena design that the earlier games had because the AI needs to be able to easily reach the boss to attack. so everything aside from the very last boss takes place in a flat box. the only exception was the wormy boss where you run up the spiral stairs i think???

e: e: Origins is still my favorite Ys outside of the I+II remakes because it's just bare-story hyper fast dungeon crawling for the majority of the game. i wouldn't mind another Ys like that. Despite being one tall tower, the different floors managed to look and feel distinct from each other and had different gimmicks. And I just highly liked the general routing of the dungeons too, it was a joy to explore and smash.

i do recognize that there have been enough games in the party style now that it's not likely to go back the other way, and that people have a fondness for them. I just hope a spiritual successor to the Oath/Origins era of Ys some day appears. CrossCode came the closest, I feel like.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 16, 2021

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

The 7th Guest posted:

i highly dislike the direction Ys has gone in since seven. nox especially. pointless and boring tower defense segments, a bland environment, a rigid and repetitive loop. but the biggest problem for me is that it's just not the blazing fast carnage that Napishtim/Oath/Origin had. it's just an uptempo ARPG where you have to constantly switch to characters that aren't fun to play in order to do proper damage to enemies

I'll have you know I enjoy every character in the party-based Ys games

Especially Renegade because he reminded me of Hugo from Origin

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ys seven is probably the worst of the modern direction. it's just not very satisfying and it's a lot longer than it should be. they did use the engine to make nayuta no kiseki though and that game's cool

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ys 8 owns and 9 was only slightly worse.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

Kinda on the fence about BR2, is the atmosphere really radically different from the first as people were implying or just lightened up a bit?

The game is still pretty dreamlike at times but that's just the style it's going for. The characters themselves and both the plot and optional scenes they're involved in have more meat to them than BR1, and the main character is basically designed to be able to bounce well off anybody by being friendly and upbeat, so she helps drive a lot of it along. The battle system is still incredibly easy to blow through, but the real difference is when you're not out in dungeons - in BR1 you'd just kinda cycle through empty days, while in BR2 you're going through hours of character writing. If your take from BR1 was 'I wish they'd done more with this' then it's probably for you.

The game's only real sin is including Overdose and You're Not A Heroine and playing them for only a handful of 10-second scenes.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 16, 2021

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Dana is great and 9 is basically Dana.5 with bonus QoL features and slightly worse base defence missions. That said another game built on Origin would be neat, even if that style gives me joint pain after a while.

But I really don't feel like the 7+ games are different story wise, the older games had a lot of dialogue with other characters, they just weren't in you party.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the storytelling isn't so different, it's just that they are much much longer so if you're bored by ys writing, you are getting many many more hours of ys writing

The 7th Guest posted:

i do recognize that there have been enough games in the party style now that it's not likely to go back the other way, and that people have a fondness for them. I just hope a spiritual successor to the Oath/Origins era of Ys some day appears. CrossCode came the closest, I feel like.

nayuta's getting an enhanced rerelease and english tl in the next few years, i'd say in terms of how that game plays it hits similar notes to the ys 6 games where on the field it's just constant fast paced bashing stuff, just with more bite sized level-based structure. it's also kinda a successor to the zwei games but the combat is a lot more responsive and polished than those

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Colonel posted:

yes the shallies are cool. the shallies are not my problem with atelier shallie!

i do think writing wise it's kinda weird that eschatology bothered to give you a choice between romantic and friendly stuff for escha & logy when the series at large goes all-in on them being a thing, and while ayesha and keith get some actually pretty sweet scenes it's kinda boring how the game plays the whole card of people freaking out about the idea of two characters being a thing so often after they all come in, but that's more minor compared to how much i don't enjoy playing shallie
I keep reading "eschatology" like it's some weird new scientific discipline.

deoju posted:

Just pointing out, I don't know what the emulator on the SNES mini is like, but it's probably too new and accurate to play T-Edition, and the music will be messed up because that apparently happens on emulators made after SNES9x version 1.5 or something like that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I was pretty impressed by 7 when I was going through the series last year. For being the first Ys game in that party rpg style I was expecting it to have a lot more growing pains but it had a lot of what I liked from 8 and they managed to get the battle system feeling pretty good from the get go. Honestly, I think I liked it more than Celceta.

Really solid game imo, not the worst in the series or anything.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

I mean, you're not strictly wrong. That's the pun.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

It's a weird, old theological discipline!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Eschatology is the study of the end of the world, which is what the series is about.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ys 7 is good because Adol can use a slicey sword, a smashy sword, or a stabby sword; also because it has Desert of Despair and Crossing Rage

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i like the fire dungeon theme in ys 7 what which reminds me of ghostbusters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Honestly Eschatology isnt even that good either