Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

redeyes posted:

Don't use them for gaming thats for sure. Other than that, you have weak fingers. Make them stronger.

Welp. Whatever I have needs to work for both gaming and typing, so I guess I'm switching it up again soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i gamed on cherry blues for like a decade bro

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

redeyes posted:

Don't use them for gaming thats for sure. Other than that, you have weak fingers. Make them stronger.

On the flipside: My gorilla-fingers need the resistance tactiles/clickies offer. Otherwise I won't realize that I'm pressing a button. Nothing wrong with gaming on Blues if that's your preference.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I loving hate linear switches period. I've gamed on tactile ones for ages.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Unsinkabear posted:

Do tactile switches make it less reliable to do quick double-taps of the same key, or am I imagining this? I can't reproduce it when I'm paying attention, but sometimes when I'm typing fast it fails in a way that just feels... wrong

Nah, but it's really up to your and your fingers imo. Back when I still played fighting games and was too lazy to plug in my stick, I had no issues doing dash cancels and other double tap stuff with tactiles on keyboard. It really didn't matter what switch I was using.

I think with gaming it's really up to you in what you can tolerate in terms of fatigue from heavy switches, accidental keypresses with short-travel or low actuation switches, etc. These days for example, if I'm playing a game that still requires you to keep holding shift to sprint or the need to press it a fuckton (like slide cancelling in COD) then I'd swap in lighter switches for LShift if I really had to.

I'm mostly just using 67g tactiles these days though, so need for all that.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

You can game on clicky switches, hell, I gamed on a model m for a decade or more (it's 2 key rollover so not always great, though). I've been using MX Greens for 8 or 9 years now, too. Some folks like to go with the speed switches for gaming which I've tried out and they aren't bad but it's definitely something I'd try before committing to. They have much lighter springs than your usual blues and have a higher actuation point (hence the speed moniker) but if you want something that's considered fast for games give Kailh speed coppers a try or something.

I haven't even plugged it in yet, but I picked up this EVGA Z15 keyboard full of them because it's hotswappable and $50 gets you 104 keys of speed coppers you can use or pull out for another keyboard plus a whole keyboard. Just buying 110 speed coppers is usually $35-40 bucks. I put some I bought a few years ago in my Keychron C1 and it's an interesting change of pace. I don't feel like it makes me any faster per say but sometimes it's fun to try something a bit different.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I game on very tactile Boba U4s and they haven't given me any trouble

Mostly playing Apex nowadays

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

I've almost gone full linear gang, my single hangup being occasional unintentional inputs while gaming. Durock POM linears at 64g, so not a huge problem, but during long sessions I'll accidentally actuate L Shift with my pinky, and sometimes rollover z when going for x or vice versa. Never had that with tactiles.

The L Shift thing has been problematic a few times when I suddenly start sprinting while trying to sneaky-beaky my way through a Tarkov map.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Unsinkabear posted:

Do tactile switches make it less reliable to do quick double-taps of the same key, or am I imagining this? I can't reproduce it when I'm paying attention, but sometimes when I'm typing fast it fails in a way that just feels... wrong

I do find linear switches to do better with the repeated tapping that most gaming involves, maybe has to do with the return stroke being cleaner. Typically you bottom out on keys when gaming anyway so linear is a better fit IMO for stuff like FPS games and anything requiring fine tuned control (read: tapping); who needs a bump when you are slamming your keys down to the bottom anyway?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Tactile or clicky switches can have problems registering spam clicks because unlike a linear switch, the spot where it engages on the downstroke is slightly different than where it resets on the upstroke. This is a pretty rare thing though, really, because the only way to reliably make it happen is if you don't fully release the key between presses and kinda hover it half pressing the key in that gap between the downstroke and upstroke trigger at all times.

Kailh clickbar switches are pretty notable for this phenomenon, and are probably the easiest switch to reproduce it on.

Generally you'll never see it on switches with heavier springs though. The higher spring force is naturally going to be better at pushing your sausage fingers up far enough to let the switch reset all the way.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I would happily game on my Model M forever if only it had NKRO

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Gwaihir posted:

Tactile or clicky switches can have problems registering spam clicks because unlike a linear switch, the spot where it engages on the downstroke is slightly different than where it resets on the upstroke. This is a pretty rare thing though, really, because the only way to reliably make it happen is if you don't fully release the key between presses and kinda hover it half pressing the key in that gap between the downstroke and upstroke trigger at all times.

Kailh clickbar switches are pretty notable for this phenomenon, and are probably the easiest switch to reproduce it on.

Generally you'll never see it on switches with heavier springs though. The higher spring force is naturally going to be better at pushing your sausage fingers up far enough to let the switch reset all the way.

I am attacked!

I am definitely guilty of feathering it sometimes. What I'm taking from the spring force part of this post and the others that mention both sore pinky syndrome and accidental sprints (which I hadn't thought of) is that I really do need to try those Matias quiet clicks that are heavier than my browns at the top but light to hold down at the bottom. That'll be my last hurrah with tactiles, and if I can't make those work I'll switch to some low force linears for my weak sausage fingers

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Unsinkabear posted:

I am attacked!

I am definitely guilty of feathering it sometimes. What I'm taking from the spring force part of this post and the others that mention both sore pinky syndrome and accidental sprints (which I hadn't thought of) is that I really do need to try those Matias quiet clicks that are heavier than my browns at the top but light to hold down at the bottom. That'll be my last hurrah with tactiles, and if I can't make those work I'll switch to some low force linears for my weak sausage fingers

Fwiw I used to be extremely anti linear in my switch preferences- My first mech boards were a model M, browns and blues, then og zealios. I even used kailh clickies for a long time, which, btw, are utterly fantastic. I've moved on to looking for the smoothest possible switches though after trying a few nice linear models in a switch tester I bought on a lark. I currently have two boards with silent alpaca v2s and some other model I can't remember non silenced durrocks.

From what you're saying here, I think you'd probably like Kailh box white switches. They're loud, but sound amazing, and most of the force goes away after the click happens. So it's a lot easier to hold it down than it is to press on the top. Matias (alps) switches are great too, of course.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Sounds rad! I hope they make a quiet version of those box whites one day, too much typing noise makes me distracted and tense. And I'll keep the silent alpacas in mind, too.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Ah, yeah, if silent is the goal, clickbar switches are the furthest possible thing from a good choice.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Haha, noted. I don't need them to be silent, just soft. I loved the raindroppy tone of the old Plum/NiZ Topre clones before they switched to their latest version. But I can't afford real Topre as an alternative and don't love any of the boards I've found them in anyway, so if I have to move one direction or the other I'm definitely settling for silent over loud.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Sounds like the thread favorite Boba U4 silents might be the ideal choice then. Pretty widely acclaimed as the king poo poo of tactile mountain.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
If you don't need them to be silent, I think the U4Ts are strictly better, and if you really want to ball out, my favorite tactile is still the holy boba.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

interrodactyl posted:

If you don't need them to be silent, I think the U4Ts are strictly better, and if you really want to ball out, my favorite tactile is still the holy boba.

I still love my Boba U4Ts and will sing praises of them endlessly.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

https://shop.wuquestudio.com/products/ikki68-aurora-r2?variant=41700227842218

A great board is up again for group buy.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

ghhhhh I want that pink one but no I still have 2 keyboards that aren't even here yet

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Framboise posted:

ghhhhh I want that pink one but no I still have 2 keyboards that aren't even here yet

I just bought this GMMK Pro, built it a week ago, and said, it's amazing, and now I don't need any boards for years!

But here's the thing. The stabs (not the space bar strangely, but enter for sure) does indeed suck. And yes, I have new stabs to throw in it, and lube now. But that involves me taking apart the whole board right? Ugh. And I thought I'd love the scroll wheel, that was the main reason I didn't go Keychron!

Expect it turns out, I really use the function keys to play pause music, and turn the volume up and down.

So then I look at the board I posted and go, it's a better company, it's lacking the function row but has four keys I could use for media controls and I have an external volume wheel I could use, and it's cheaper and...

Oh God, just when I thought I was out, I may still be in right?

Also, I do know from this GMMK pro that the Bobba U4T's are amazing, amazing switches and my favs for sure. No lube needed.

I think I'll just suck it up, and over Christmas vacation take this GMMK PRO apart and lube the good stabs I have (C3's? I know they work with the GMMK PRO plate). Honestly, other than me supporting a lovely company, and not having better control over the RBG, and a volume knob I don't actually use, I really like this board. It feels miles above even my Turgod that I was replacing with Cherry Browns.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

LionArcher posted:

I just bought this GMMK Pro, built it a week ago, and said, it's amazing, and now I don't need any boards for years!

But here's the thing. The stabs (not the space bar strangely, but enter for sure) does indeed suck. And yes, I have new stabs to throw in it, and lube now. But that involves me taking apart the whole board right? Ugh. And I thought I'd love the scroll wheel, that was the main reason I didn't go Keychron!

Expect it turns out, I really use the function keys to play pause music, and turn the volume up and down.

So then I look at the board I posted and go, it's a better company, it's lacking the function row but has four keys I could use for media controls and I have an external volume wheel I could use, and it's cheaper and...

Also, I do know from this GMMK pro that the Bobba U4T's are amazing, amazing switches and my favs for sure. No lube needed.

I think I'll just suck it up, and over Christmas vacation take this GMMK PRO apart and lube the good stabs I have (C3's? I know they work with the GMMK PRO plate). Honestly, other than me supporting a lovely company, and not having better control over the RBG, and a volume knob I don't actually use, I really like this board. It feels miles above even my Turgod that I was replacing with Cherry Browns.

I used Durock stabilizers to replace mine. The screws strip very easily though so be careful.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

I don’t need this.

But it has Bluetooth.

I don’t need this.

I really don’t need it.

But Bluetooth.

My other boards mostly don’t have Bluetooth except the Keychron K8 I’ve gotten sick of.

AUGH.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Hello again, friends! I've just recently released some more FR4 plates, this time for the KBD67 Lite (also compatible with the KBD67 gasket mount) and the KBD Pad. Apparently there are about 5,000 KBD67 Lites being sold on Black Friday for $99, so if you're looking for something to make your wallet feel a little bit thinner, while making your board look and sound better, I'm here to help.

Here's a few photos, because marketing works:

Also, I'm currently running a sitewide sale of 13% off on all plates, including the GMMK Pro plates (for those struggling with stabs like the Durock V2s on the official GMMK Pro plates, my FR4 plates will actually work, and sound better too, I promise), and plates for the NK65.

And, because I love you, and desperately need your money to pay for daycare, I have a new code for goons to save an additional $4.20 off any order.
Use code GOON to get the goods and force me to pay out-of-pocket for your shipping.

You can find all these plates, and nothing more, right here: https://avxworks.com/collections/all

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Hopefully this a good question for here. Need to help out my FIL replace some individual keys on his laptop, a Dell Inspiron 17 7000 series. What's the reputable place to buy individual keys?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

LionArcher posted:

Meanwhile, I'm waiting on my Mode65 and my Mojo68. One day I'll have 'em...

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
That's a tough one unfortunately. There are dedicated websites where you can get laptop key replacements but I've never used them. You can probably also scour eBay and such to get a full keyboard replacement if needed. You're kind of in luck that it's a Dell Inspiron so it's highly likely it's available (plus a disassembly guide for Dell technicians)

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Framboise posted:

Meanwhile, I'm waiting on my Mode65 ...

:same:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Goodpancakes posted:

Hopefully this a good question for here. Need to help out my FIL replace some individual keys on his laptop, a Dell Inspiron 17 7000 series. What's the reputable place to buy individual keys?

You can pick them up from somewhere like here: https://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/dell-inspiron-17-7000-laptop-keyboard-key-replacement-silver/
or here: https://laptopkey.com/dell-inspiron-17-7000-series-17-7737-laptop-keyboard-keys/
They make money as a middleman pulling keys off of keyboards and selling them for a few bucks but it's not a bad deal as the buyer if you just need a couple.

You could also replace the whole thing if you want: https://www.ebay.com/itm/324698250529?hash=item4b99861d21:g:JrYAAOSwgkRVUxdx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbYOjIZacr8

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I'm hoping someone can help me here. I've been using a Unicomp Model M clone for years, but I need a quieter keyboard because I can't use the M at night without waking people up. Most mechanical switches seem to be suitable for this, but I'd really like a wireless keyboard for my home office. Problem is my work machine doesn't have Bluetooth, so I'll need a keyboard with a USB receiver rather than a direct BT connection. This seems like an odd enough requirement that there I haven't found a way to search for it. I've found Velocifire's offerings, and their TKL02WS 87 key model seems fine, but at $50 it seem a little too cheap to be durable. Has anyone messed with this specific keyboard or have a different suggestion? I really do like the 87 key layout that just chops off the numpad, but I'm open to alternatives.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nothing is as durable as a Model M but Velocifire's stuff is very respectable at such a low price point (though I'm more partial to Tecware). No idea if the wireless will work as advertised though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Loucks posted:

I'm hoping someone can help me here. I've been using a Unicomp Model M clone for years, but I need a quieter keyboard because I can't use the M at night without waking people up. Most mechanical switches seem to be suitable for this, but I'd really like a wireless keyboard for my home office. Problem is my work machine doesn't have Bluetooth, so I'll need a keyboard with a USB receiver rather than a direct BT connection. This seems like an odd enough requirement that there I haven't found a way to search for it. I've found Velocifire's offerings, and their TKL02WS 87 key model seems fine, but at $50 it seem a little too cheap to be durable. Has anyone messed with this specific keyboard or have a different suggestion? I really do like the 87 key layout that just chops off the numpad, but I'm open to alternatives.

I think most people ITT like Keychron's wireless offerings in a variety of sizes and styles, but I can't attest to those personally.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Keychron's boards are all bluetooth as far as I know. OP is wise to want nothing to do with BT on a keyboard.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Gwaihir posted:

I think most people ITT like Keychron's wireless offerings in a variety of sizes and styles, but I can't attest to those personally.

Keychron's wireless offerings are all BT based.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oh, right, I'm very good at reading. TBH I'd just get a bluetooth dongle for my pc instead of trying to look for a keyboard that specifically uses RF wireless instead, since that's just going to offer far more options.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Is there a reason you can't just get a USB Bluetooth dongle?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

...because it still involves Bluetooth and Bluetooth sucks?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Loucks posted:

If you're not looking to go full custom, and are fine using whatever their stock switches are, look at something like Razer's productivity keebs maybe? https://www.razer.com/gaming-keyboards/razer-pro-type/RZ03-03070100-R3M1

In general, your best direction is probably to look at gamer brands if you're allergic to Bluetooth, but still want wireless, with the understanding that you're going to not have much ability to mess around with what you buy aftermarket. There's a much stronger preference for 2.4 ghz setups on that side of the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

repiv posted:

Is there a reason you can't just get a USB Bluetooth dongle?

No, not really. I haven't had the same nightmare others have with BT, so that could work. I was looking at the keychron boards, and they look good. That or the insanely-colored Akko offerings.

e: Razer could work too. I'll have a look. Thanks for the advice, everyone. It would be cool to get a hot swappable board and make this v complicated, but I don't need yet another project.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 17, 2021